Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

PetraCore posted:

Huh. Isn't that because of the Yakuza connection?

Yeah, his wife explained to me that it's roughly the equivalent of face tattoos for us. Apparently the older generations are way worse about it, but a lot of the stigma has survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sadly someone who uses "quarter life crisis" without irony lacks the fortitude to Pete up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

My [23F] boyfriend [29M] of a year wouldn't go on an international trip with me because it was "too expesnive" but wants to go with his friends instead.

:thunk:

occam's razor wins again

that men don't have feelings, they are just the mechanical suits to the penis that is Krang

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Lol she prods him on the arrangements and it sounds like he'll be sharing a room with the single bridesmade.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pick posted:

occam's razor wins again

that men don't have feelings, they are just the mechanical suits to the penis that is Krang

Imagine being a mobile brain capable of building your own mechanical suit and you design one that looks like a guy with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

new phone who dis posted:

Yeah, his wife explained to me that it's roughly the equivalent of face tattoos for us. Apparently the older generations are way worse about it, but a lot of the stigma has survived.

Weirdly enough I think missing fingers has a similar connotation in Japan because it's a common Yakuza punishment. Which sucks for someone who loses fingers by other means.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Imagine being a mobile brain capable of building your own mechanical suit and you design one that looks like a guy with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

you could just ask your mom

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Sadly someone who uses "quarter life crisis" without irony lacks the fortitude to Pete up.

I missed the whole Pete thing, can someone link it?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Pick posted:

you could just ask your mom

:drat:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pick posted:

occam's razor wins again

Huh, always wondered why nutsacks kinda looked like brains

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Nicole_Cliffe/status/895693875766902785

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

It's true, but it doesn't seem very sporting.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'ma try to find the Pete story

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Nothing like the smell of self destructive retard who will never again be loved in the morning

Don't bring me into this

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Got this off her page. Good stuff.

https://twitter.com/thefourthcraw/status/895383122333847552

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Solid top comment on the most recent story:

quote:

Replying to your EDIT
his reasons for not wanting to travel with you are simple.
You are not the woman he wants to travel with...the woman he is going with is the woman he wants to travel with.
And its a super duper, Great Wall of China sized red flag that he is traveling with a woman you don't know...and conveniently forgot to mention that. And the only reason he did is because you asked if you could come along and he doesn't want you going to his friends and asking them. Because if you do, you will gently caress up his attempts to bone this other woman.
Bail. Tell him flat out he is being shady as gently caress, that traveling with another woman is a dealbreaker and that the relationship is over.
He's trying to trade you in for a newer model and he thinks he is going to get away with it

Cmon, lady, embrace your inner Pete

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

He's halfway to destruction

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the Pete story

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [30 M] of 6 months - we broke up after I booked tickets to go on a trip with an ex from ancient history, who is more of a best-friend.Relationships

quote:

Did I screw up?

So, I (f/25) have been seeing my boyfriend, Pete (m/30) for 6 months and its been wonderful. I really thought I'd found "the one" with him, but after last night I feel my world has collapsed and am not sure I've made the right decisions or if I was right. My heart feels like its been pulled out of my chest and I can't sleep. I'd never felt like this about anyone before.

My good friend, who we'll call Dave, was my boyfriend from the age of 18 to 21, after which we broke up because we wanted different things in life. We stayed good friends though because we had a great friendship and had been through so much together. He lives in a different country at the moment but we still talk semi-regularly online and in Whatsapp. Pete knew that Dave was a friend of mine but didn't know he was an ex until about 2 weeks ago, when Dave asked me to visit him in Amsterdam while he's on a work trip (I live in the UK, he lives in Italy). I had already agreed and booked a ticket before I told Pete - they were on sale for a ridiculously low price on the dates that he would be there, so I jumped at the opportunity.

Pete seemed cool with it at first but after a few days asked me if there was any history between us. I was honest and told him there was. He didn't seem too bothered and eventually asked if I thought visiting an ex in another country was appropriate whilst in a relationship. I explained to him how Dave and my relationship wasn't like that and that we were strictly platonic. He didn't seem to really react, he just gave me a look that was...sarcastic, I suppose, would be the best way to describe it. I then told him that I wouldn't be controlled and hated men that thought they owned me and could tell me what to do. I told him I was free to see who I wanted and that I found his lack of trust in me upsetting, disrespectful and, perhaps, a sign of future abusiveness. I now realise that this may have been a bad thing to say. Again, he didn't really react so I thought that was the end of it.

Then, last night, he came around to my flat and broke up with me!

I asked him why and tried to get him to explain himself and he told me that my going away was to see "another man" a deal-breaker, that he'd been in this type of situation before and wasn't going to go through it again. I asked him if this was an ultimatum - I hate ultimatums, they are tools of abusers - and he said "No, its not an ultimatum. I've decided to break up with you. I have not presented you with any options. I just came to say goodbye."
Before I could say or do anything more, he kissed me on the forehead, said goodbye and walked away. He didn't seem angry, just...sad.
I tried to call him after, but he just texted me some bullshit about how this was for the best and that he wished me no ill will and hopes I'll be happy. He turned his phone off after whilst I bombarded him with texts and voicemails.

To make matters worse, I told Dave about what happened and he replied "Oh well, guess that means we can have even more fun then! ;o)" He didn't care about my relationship and my pain - he just wanted a hookup buddy and someone to get stoned with whilst he was in Amsterdam.
Now I've lost someone I love and my best friend - who I was only interested in as friends - has a different motive to me for meeting up. I feel like I've lost my partner and I've lost a best friend at the same time.

I tried calling Pete today, about an hour ago, and he actually answered! He told me that I should look to be with someone who wasn't so abusive. He said, "Please stop calling me - this is over. Have a nice trip to Amsterdam" Then he BLOCKED me! How could he do that to someone he loves? Is he over reacting or was I? What should I do now? Was I wrong?

tl;dr:
Booked tickets to visit best friend. Got dumped because he was an ex. Did I just dodge a huge bullet...or did he?
EDIT: OK I KNOW I hosed UP. What should I do?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Ride The Gravitron posted:

the Pete story

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [30 M] of 6 months - we broke up after I booked tickets to go on a trip with an ex from ancient history, who is more of a best-friend.Relationships

Oh yea, I do remember that now. Purestrain good poo poo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My mom [50F] won't "let" me [21F] go on a trip to Florida (or any trip- or even bars).

quote:

Tldr: I am financially independent, lived on my own for 4 years now, yet mom still threatens to not speak to me if I do things she doesn't approve of. I need to learn to draw boundaries but I don't know how- I don't want her to ignore me- life is way too short for that. Advice is appreciated.

I live in NYC- Florida is a quick 2 hour flight. Last week I told her I was planning to go to Orlando in November to visit friends and go to a festival. She said "okay great." Yesterday we were on the phone and I told her I bought my tickets and she FLIPPED. She was like "I never said yes". I was like "mom I told you and you said nothing. We had a whole conversation about where I was going to stay". And she goes "exactly- it was a CONVERSATION. I didn't approve it". Then she told me that since I was ignoring her wishes she was going to ignore me and hung up. I do not want my mom to not speak to me- I already don't see her as much as I'd like. So I called her back and she said she would only talk to me if I canceled the trip. I said okay and that was that. Now we're speaking again but she told me she doesn't appreciate how I tell her I do things as if "I have no parents". She then goes "because you take care of yourself doesn't mean you're a stray with no parents to answer to".

I'm legitimately going crazy. To be honest, I told her out of courtesy. I travel almost monthly (sometimes twice a month) through out the country without telling her because I know she wouldn't understand. I told her I was going to Miami in march and acted as if it was my first time and she "approved". She only approved because it was for an annual festival. So I figured this is another festival- I can let her in the loop but nope she said "you already went- I only let you go last time because it was your first time". So now she thinks I'm not going but I am. I'm sick of having to lie to her as if I'm 17.

My parents do not financially support at ALL and haven't in years. I do not live at home and haven't for years. I'm turning 22 in two months and will graduate college in December YET I still need "permission" or I have to sneak around. It doesn't make sense and honestly I'm starting to resent her (and my dad- although my dad takes the back seat and tells me to talk to my mother).

How do I say this to her without offending her? My mom really IS the type who will go a WHILE without talking to me if I do something she doesn't approve of and I don't want that. I also don't want her to feel disrespected (she's really dramatic). I just want her to respect my decisions and talk to me like a normal mother. It's such a shame- there are so many stories from my travels I want to tell her but I can't because she would flip if she even knew I went. I also lie her when I go out here in NYC. I tell her I'm going to bed early then go to a concert or bar or whatever. My mother literally doesn't "let" me do anything and it's causing major resentment and endless lies. Any advice appreciated.

Edit: Thank your for your responses. Also, not single lol. My boyfriend knows I lie to my mom constantly.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

occam's razor wins again

It's okay to be jealous Pick.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I went to an academic conference in Japan.

They wouldn't let one of the professors into the pool because she had a pretty basic tattoo. (Small, only visible in swimwear)

She went off a bit since she's a prof at a well known school in the states - definitely not in the goddamn Yakuza

They were pretty apologetic about not believing she was a professor at least!

[shrug emoticon intensifies]

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (29F) husband (29M) gave me an ultimatum: lose 160 lbs or divorce. Not sure how to handle this. Very conflicted.

submitted 4 hours ago * by Fatandupset531

K and I have been together almost 5 years, married about 3.5 years.
I am 5'6" and weigh 320 lbs. I am obese. I recognize that and have known it for a long time. I also want to lose weight but have lacked the motivation thus far.

K is also obese. He is 6'6" and 370 lbs-ish. We are both homebodies with hobbies that aren't very active. My job is sedentary as well (desk job).

K wants me to lose half my weight, till I am 160 lbs. We have discussed my weight before and he tells me he'd like me to be skinnier, but that's about it. I have gained ~100 lbs over our 5 years together. He has gained about 80 lbs.

1 week ago, he told me that if I don't lose the weight in the next few years, he is going to divorce me. My head just about did the exorcist move. He said he just "can't help but think he could be with someone skinnier." He says he still loves me which is "why he's giving me time to change and not leaving me right now without telling me why".

K is reasonably attractive but he is not a catch at this point in his life. No job currently, odd jobs off and on, no school, and I have been financially supporting him the ENTIRE time we have been together. He is about to start school next week to become an accountant. If I left him, he'd have a computer, some hockey gear, and some clothes. Everything else he has is paid for by me. He'd be living at home with Mommy if it wasn't for me.

I have a very successful job in the IT world and have given this man everything I could afford: car, brand new house, hockey gear, Xbox one, PS4, you name it. I have bought him everything he ever wanted if I could afford it. And thus far, he has been nice, caring, and trustworthy. Then this.

I do not know how to process this. I am not angry at his feelings because you cannot help how you feel. I am responsible for my weight gain, not him. But I think an ultimatum demanding I lose all of this weight before he's done with the school THAT I AM PAYING FOR is outrageous. I think him telling me "he could be with someone skinnier" is outrageous. I think demanding anything loke that from someone who gives you literally everything is outrageous. I feel hurt and vulnerable and like I am worthless to him now. I am also mad as hell. I do not think you should give an ultimatum to your spouse.

I tried to explain to him how and why he hosed this up, but he just gets angry and says I'm wrong. I have examples of how he could have done it better, but he says he couldn't. K says he is sorry that I am hurt but not sorry for saying it because "otherwise nothing would have changed". I think he's a giant rear end in a top hat and am seriously wondering why I am still with him.
I do love him and am otherwise happy with him. He is normally very kind to me, we have similar interests and senses of humor, he helps aroubd the house when I ask, etc. But this has emotionally crippled me and I don't know what to do. I do plan to lose the weight though.
Am I being an emotional woman?

TL;DR Husband demanded I lose 160 lbs or he'd leave me even though he is wholly dependent on me for everything. Doesn't think he did anything wrong

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hahahahahahahahahahaha

oh man, just wait until he sees how THIS pans out

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ps. he should want her as fat as possible because if she does lose that weight, she's going to get someone better (which she could have already). hed have literally nothing keeping them in their horrible inertia-based non-relationship

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (29F) husband (29M) gave me an ultimatum: lose 160 lbs or divorce. Not sure how to handle this. Very conflicted.

I am 5'6" and weigh 320 lbs. I am obese. I recognize that and have known it for a long time. I also want to lose weight but have lacked the motivation thus far.

K is also obese. He is 6'6" and 370 lbs-ish. We are both homebodies with hobbies that aren't very active. My job is sedentary as well (desk job).

K wants me to lose half my weight, till I am 160 lbs. We have discussed my weight before and he tells me he'd like me to be skinnier, but that's about it. I have gained ~100 lbs over our 5 years together. He has gained about 80 lbs.

1 week ago, he told me that if I don't lose the weight in the next few years, he is going to divorce me. My head just about did the exorcist move. He said he just "can't help but think he could be with someone skinnier." He says he still loves me which is "why he's giving me time to change and not leaving me right now without telling me why".

K is reasonably attractive but he is not a catch at this point in his life. No job currently, odd jobs off and on, no school, and I have been financially supporting him the ENTIRE time we have been together. He is about to start school next week to become an accountant. If I left him, he'd have a computer, some hockey gear, and some clothes. Everything else he has is paid for by me. He'd be living at home with Mommy if it wasn't for me.

I have a very successful job in the IT world and have given this man everything I could afford: car, brand new house, hockey gear, Xbox one, PS4, you name it. I have bought him everything he ever wanted if I could afford it. And thus far, he has been nice, caring, and trustworthy. Then this.

I do not know how to process this. I am not angry at his feelings because you cannot help how you feel. I am responsible for my weight gain, not him. But I think an ultimatum demanding I lose all of this weight before he's done with the school THAT I AM PAYING FOR is outrageous. I think him telling me "he could be with someone skinnier" is outrageous. I think demanding anything loke that from someone who gives you literally everything is outrageous. I feel hurt and vulnerable and like I am worthless to him now. I am also mad as hell. I do not think you should give an ultimatum to your spouse.

I tried to explain to him how and why he hosed this up, but he just gets angry and says I'm wrong. I have examples of how he could have done it better, but he says he couldn't. K says he is sorry that I am hurt but not sorry for saying it because "otherwise nothing would have changed". I think he's a giant rear end in a top hat and am seriously wondering why I am still with him.
I do love him and am otherwise happy with him. He is normally very kind to me, we have similar interests and senses of humor, he helps aroubd the house when I ask, etc. But this has emotionally crippled me and I don't know what to do. I do plan to lose the weight though.

TL;DR Husband demanded I lose 160 lbs or he'd leave me even though he is wholly dependent on me for everything. Doesn't think he did anything wrong

wait so he's not saying "let's lose weight together" just "lol i watched too many sitcoms and think i too can punch above my weight"

lollllllll

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
fat husband dipshit, sitting in front of the tv in the den, flipping back and forth between Kevin Can Wait and King of Queens, furiously scribbling on a notepad

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Not surprising that he thinks he's so awesome, some girl bought him a car, a house, and some video games.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

Not surprising that he thinks he's so awesome, some girl bought him a car, a house, and some video games.

Hehe it's going to be hilarious when he loses this and then is never able to regain it. man. haha. jeeeez. hehehe

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Yeah man, you weren't a catch even in the beginning. Hopefully she loses the weight and then gets with someone that isn't a giant shitter.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
husband dipshit after falling asleep watching reruns and waking up to an old Honeymooners episode: EUREKA!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
fat husband shithead, loudly talking across the room to his wife while he rearranges his dusty hockey gear in the hall closet: "BMI is basically meaningless for guys, look at all those football players who are all jacked, but it says they're obese? Get out of here! I hear it's pretty accurate for women, though. How tall are you again?"

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Wait, so if the husband wasn't overweight this scenario would be fine with you?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's weird that whenever you see these stories you always start off reading them like "yeah it's p reasonable to ask your spouse who gained 100 pounds in short order to get their poo poo together", like it's not really a lot different if they became a raging alcoholic or something but then invariably the person making the request did the exact same thing and is a total loser on top of it.

Considering the weight crisis in the first world you'd think there'd be at least a few legit stories of someone binging hard and their reasonable partner drawing a line but everytime it's like an exact copy/paste of this post.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
You're 5'6 i'm 6'6, that's ten inches taller so i can afford the extra weight.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

If he wanted to lose the weight together it'd still be lovely but at least he'd be putting the work in himself. As it is he's?????

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PetraCore posted:

If he wanted to lose the weight together it'd still be lovely but at least he'd be putting the work in himself. As it is he's?????

And actually it'd be less lovely if it was about health and not even necessarily just attractiveness. But yeah, uh, there's not exactly a shortage of overweight, uneducated manbabies the seething masses of single women are going for, so.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

pidan posted:

it's just a lot funnier that he is, he'd be an rear end in a top hat no matter what

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

pidan posted:

No but it makes it a shitload funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Eh if he was in shape and had his poo poo together (or vice versa) i think it'd be totally appropriate to say "you're spiraling into this addiction and I dunno if I am willing to commit to us staying together while you slowly kill yourself". It's okay to decide you don't want to be tied to a person who is ruining their own life and future. No one should feel obligated to stay in a relationship like that and if anything it's better to give them a chance to get their poo poo together than it is to just say "cya".