Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Miller, Kirby and Sienkiewicz did a lot of weird poo poo with their panels, the way they drew people and weren't always "anatomically correct" like Neil Adams, George Perez or Jose Luis Garcia Lopez but they knew how to loving draw and, even better, tell a story with what what they drew. Looking "real" isn't the entire name of the game and sometimes expressionism and abstraction can really enhance the story.

The difference between the masters and the "cross hatchers/action liners" is that you can look at a double page spread of any of the real artists I mentioned and tell what the gently caress is actually going on without even reading the captions. Anatomical accuracy isn't a prerequisite or a requirement for drawing comics but knowing about it and being aware and knowledgable of the rules your breaking is.

Probably should have posted this in the Good/Bad Comic Book art thread so sorry.

I am guilty of being alive in the 90's and liking some things. I apologize for that.

It's be real easy to "animate" if they wanted to go that route.

I didn't say looking real was the entire name of the game. I'm aware of cubism, surrealism and abstractionism. And if any of that could describe Rob Liefeld, I'd be right there. He's just poo poo, though. As evidenced by his more recent stuff, which is more realistic, but just as inept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

It's not even the 'extremeness' or whatever that's bothersome about his work. It's just bad. Like, it's a bad version of that exagerrated, loud style. I mean, I feel like exagerrated, unrealistic bodies shouldn't be horrifying.

Still it's easy to understand why he got big, he was able to crank that stuff out. Look at the sheer volume of stuff he was pumping out every month at the time. He was notoriously late with work after a point (and some even credit his being absurdly late with some stuff as one of the direct causes of the 90s comic book dying) but it's easy to see how he was able to keep employed early on between the amount of stuff he was doing and how much people ate it up.

His work is absolutely poo poo but he was to his credit not just in the right time and place for a while but able to really work with that.

I still can't believe Shrink was actually optioned for a film though. :laffo:

http://robliefeldcreations.com/portfolio-2/past-work/shrink/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Snowman_McK posted:

I didn't say looking real was the entire name of the game. I'm aware of cubism, surrealism and abstractionism. And if any of that could describe Rob Liefeld, I'd be right there. He's just poo poo, though. As evidenced by his more recent stuff, which is more realistic, but just as inept.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth and didn't mean to imply you said that.

Also, it's easy to "crank poo poo out" when you don't have to make it look like anything coherent and all you have to is cross hatch.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Rob started in the industry when he was 20, living the dream and getting paid to do what he loves. I respect his enthusiasm, and he's got a good soul.

Also loving lol at the entire brutal wikipedia about his art style:

quote:

Art style
Liefeld has been criticized for his drawing skill. In a 1996 interview, writer/illustrator Barry Windsor-Smith criticized the depth of work by the popular artists of the 1990s like Liefeld and Jim Lee, and those whom they influenced (whom he referred to as "the Liefelds and the Lees"), stating "I don’t think it has even crossed their minds that comic books can be a medium for intimate self-expression." Speaking of Liefeld in particular, Windsor-Smith said:

"Rob Liefeld has nothing to offer. It’s as plain as bacon on your plate. He has nothing to offer. He cannot draw. He can’t write. He is a young boy almost, I would expect, whose culture is bubble gum wrappers, Saturday morning cartoons, Marvel Comics; that’s his culture. Somebody was at his house and came back with a report: There is not a single book in his house — only comic books. I see nothing in his work that allows me to even guess that there’s any depth involved in that person that might come to the fore given time."

Artist Alex Ross drew upon his dislike of the design of Liefeld's creation Cable when designing the character Magog for the 1996 miniseries Kingdom Come. Following writer Mark Waid's instructions that the character's appearance be based on aspects of superhero design trends of the time that they disliked, Ross said of Cable, "That's a character that Mark Waid invented that was really just put to me like come up with the most God awful, Rob Liefeld sort of design that you can. What I was stealing from was - really only two key designs of Rob's - the design of Cable. I hated it. I felt like it looked like they just threw up everything on the character - the scars, the thing going on with his eye, the arm, and what's with all the guns?"

Liefeld has also been criticized for drawing figures with exaggerated muscular anatomy, such as long legs and tiny feet, and "bizarre" anatomy on female characters that some critics felt served to objectify women, with critical articles such as "The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings", "A Gallery of Rob Liefeld’s Anatomical Abominations" and "Worst Rob Liefeld Covers" among the top mentions of Liefeld's on Google. These stylistic devices were seen as the impetus for his initial success, when such affectations were unusual in comics, and helped lend such characters to successfully merchandised products. Nonetheless, the approach later became a cliché and led to a widespread hostility towards the style. Liefeld agrees for the most part with this estimation of his early work, saying, "In the mid-90's we Mortal Kombat'ed everything. I'm as guilty as anyone..." Liefeld's friend, Image Comics partner, and The Walking Dead creator, Robert Kirkman, defends Liefeld, saying, "Every figure that Rob draws has a certain energy to it, a certain excitement. Every character Rob drew had seven knives and six guns and shoulder pads and pouches and belts and straps and ammunition. It was an aesthetic that as a kid absolutely blew me away. I idolized the guy...Everything he draws is interesting, whether it's accurate or not. A lot of people look at the way Rob draws the human body and they say, 'That's wrong in my eyes.' I would say that these people have no joy in their souls. It's not like Rob doesn't know what a human body looks like, I think Rob looks at a human body and goes: 'That’s boring. I can do better.'"

In addition to his depiction of human anatomy, Liefeld's art has also been criticized in more general terms for use of splash pages in lieu of multi-panel pages depicting more story,[1] and poor design and continuity in elements such as clothing, props, and proper proportions between characters and their environments, with industry columnist Peter David responding to Liefeld's 1996 work on the "Heroes Reborn" Captain America by proclaiming Liefeld the "Ed Wood of comics". Kesel relates:

"Mike Carlin once said of Rob: 'He has it. He just doesn’t have it yet.' And I couldn’t agree more. Rob is one of the most energetic and charming people I’ve ever met– you can’t help but like him– and at the time of [Liefeld's early work on Hawk and Dove] his work showed great potential. But success came far too quickly and easily to him, and he never felt the need to develop that potential. Which is really too bad, because if he did I’m certain he would have left a very different mark on the industry. Not that things worked out that badly for him…"

Liefeld has stated that such criticism has not bothered him, in part because, at the height of his popularity, he had things outside of his work to focus on, such as the death of his father from cancer in 1999. By the 2010s, he was known to reference this perception of his work in a lighthearted manner: Following the April 2012 release of DC Comics' solicitations for that July, which included Liefeld's covers for The Savage Hawkman #11, Deathstroke #11, and Grifter #11—all of which showed characters' feet—Liefeld, who had been criticized for avoiding drawing characters' feet, commented, "The Hipsters don't know what to do when I draw feet. It confuses them."

I agree with Kirkman, there's no joy in your souls.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Kirkman's writing is far uglier than the worst Liefeld though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Goffer posted:

Rob started in the industry when he was 20, living the dream and getting paid to do what he loves.

This is true of almost everyone in every artistic industry and medium. Most of them know how to draw a foot. Or how hands grip things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I finally watched Guardians 2 and Suicide Squad yesterday on a plane.

To be honest I didn't really like either of them. The Guardians characters were mostly unlikable until the final act, just all of them were huge dicks and not in a charming way. The jokes were telegraphed from a mile away and it seemed like every character going was more worried about getting a funny one liner out than anything else. The only thing that really made me laugh was Drax's "I never thought you'd be able to do that!" when Mantis put Ego to sleep. Drax was the worst in the movie though. Never had a fight scene, did very little at all except point at people and laugh. It was just constantly "I have cancer" "HAHAHA you are going to die horribly and everyone will be sad!"

I actually liked the characters in Suicide Squad but the movie was incredibly disjointed. The one criticism I've seen a lot for it, though, that the Joker was haphazardly shoehorned in, I disagree with. The Harley origin stuff was good, and his coming after her relentlessly and trying to break her out was good. And it was a very interesting Joker and good performance. It's more the rest of the film that felt carelessly slapped together. Also I had real trouble distinguishing between Rick Flagg and any other white dudes.

I felt they were about equally bad for different reasons, and am baffled at how differently they were received

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like Drax keeping in mind that he's basically making Dad jokes the entire movie.

The movie is about space dads.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watching movies on a plane is the worst way to watch any movie for the first time.

I watched a Harry Potter on one and I don't remember anything about it other than my frustration for being on a Plane, which is the worst thing ever.

Fuckin hate planes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's really weird what kind of reception stuff like BvS theatrical and Suicide Squad get compared to the MCU considering they suffer from like the exact same problems as Age of Ultron, Civil War, and GotG2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BvS is some dour bullshit, and Suicide Squad is the most nothing movie I've seen in forever.

MCU is charming as hell. I don't give a poo poo how ugly they are. Everyone brings their A Game acting wise and that's why they own.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone brings their A Game acting wise and that's why they own.

Eeeeeeehhh. Sticking with GotG2, Pratt's kinda just there, Zoe Saldana is again given nothing to do, Bautista is stretched pretty thin and Karen Gillan sucks out loud.

The only standouts were Bradley Cooper and Michael Rooker. Cooper because I'm still just impressed that he's a decent voice actor and Rooker is just always good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

BvS is some dour bullshit, and Suicide Squad is the most nothing movie I've seen in forever.

MCU is charming as hell. I don't give a poo poo how ugly they are. Everyone brings their A Game acting wise and that's why they own.

I think you need to watch more movies if you think MCU has A Game acting or charming acting.

Also, dour alert.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think you need to watch more movies if you think MCU has A Game acting or charming acting.

Also, dour alert.

I think you need to watch less movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I think you need to watch less movies.

This, this is the worst comeback.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
*runs into comic book movie megathread, pg. 840*

"Heh, maybe you should watch less movies, nerdfaggit " :smugdog:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I am baffled how someone can praise Marvel films for "A game acting" and in the same breath put down BvS when it has that scene with Martha and Lois at the wake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MSJ posted:

This, this is the worst comeback.

It was a request actually.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CelticPredator posted:

It was a request actually.

Don't be a shithead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's lamps dude

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

It's lamps dude

me right now:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I misunderstood you, I don't personally like his style but if you do I don't see why it matters that he lightboxes a lot of it.

Light boxing is fine, if you're someone like Tim Bradstreet, who hires the models, stages the photos for the artwork, does the photography himself, then does the artwork.

Greg Land just googles stuff and traces it, which ends up looking awkward artwork, with no consistency. There's one Fantastic Four story he did where Sue's hair style's constantly changing between panels because he's tracing different women for each one.

And he's been shown copying other artists works as well. Not as an homage, but just stealing their images.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 11, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It's lamps dude

The acting is just as flat as the lighting most of the time.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I happen to like Lamps posting :gbsmith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I forget, are we supposed to love the 80's now and hate the 90's? I can't keep up with the sliding window. I guess millennials are just ruining nostalgia too.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I actually liked the characters in Suicide Squad but the movie was incredibly disjointed. The one criticism I've seen a lot for it, though, that the Joker was haphazardly shoehorned in, I disagree with. The Harley origin stuff was good, and his coming after her relentlessly and trying to break her out was good. And it was a very interesting Joker and good performance. It's more the rest of the film that felt carelessly slapped together. Also I had real trouble distinguishing between Rick Flagg and any other white dudes.

Literally the only distinguishing feature Rick Flag has is that he's in love with Enchantress. It's kind of a joke, his superpower is that, for entirely circumstantial reasons, Waller doesn't consider him disposable.

Leto's Joker is so coherent that it makes me wonder what all the backstage poo poo about condoms and dead pigs was, because there's nothing of that in the performance.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I forget, are we supposed to love the 80's now and hate the 90's? I can't keep up with the sliding window. I guess millennials are just ruining nostalgia too.

you say this like 80's nostalgia hasn't been a thing

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

josh04 posted:

Leto's Joker is so coherent that it makes me wonder what all the backstage poo poo about condoms and dead pigs was, because there's nothing of that in the performance.

It's successful marketing. People are still talking about it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I liked letos joker, I imagine he thinks he's batmans greatest foe but really batman just sees him as an irritating lowlife.

"Batman ol' buddy ol pal did ya miss me!?"

"Who are you again?" *batpunch*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I liked letos joker, I imagine he thinks he's batmans greatest foe but really batman just sees him as an irritating lowlife.

Considering Afleck Batman has the deceased Robin's costume on framed display, he probably know who he is

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

multijoe posted:

Considering Afleck Batman has the deceased Robin's costume on framed display, he probably know who he is

That's BvS right? Haven't watched it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's BvS right? Haven't watched it.

It's good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's literally the plot of The Lego Batman Movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

Eeeeeeehhh. Sticking with GotG2, Pratt's kinda just there, Zoe Saldana is again given nothing to do, Bautista is stretched pretty thin and Karen Gillan sucks out loud.

The only standouts were Bradley Cooper and Michael Rooker. Cooper because I'm still just impressed that he's a decent voice actor and Rooker is just always good.

Kurt Russell was great, too. Seemed to be having the time of his life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Literally the only distinguishing feature Rick Flag has is that he's in love with Enchantress. It's kind of a joke, his superpower is that, for entirely circumstantial reasons, Waller doesn't consider him disposable.

Yes on both counts. The whole Leto thing is just an in poor taste Heath Ledger joke.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I wonder what the Disney pullout from Netflix will mean in terms of content?

No Star Wars, Pixar or Marvel? What about the Netflix comic series?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Disney announced earlier this week they plan to continue the netflix marvel shows. I assume most of the movies will get pulled by 2019, I'm not sure about things like Agents of SHIELD tho

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BiggerBoat posted:

Marvel is apparently staying, and the assumption is because of their shared shows. How long that lasts is anyone's guess. I haven't heard anything about Star Wars or Pixar, though.

I'm also curious if they'll eventually pull ABC content off of Hulu.

edit: I should note that The Clone Wars is already leaving Netflix next month, so there's not a lot of Star Wars content left to pull anyway.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Drifter posted:

It's good.
I didn't like man of steel so if it's like that i'll give it a miss.

Davros1 posted:

That's literally the plot of The Lego Batman Movie.

I would like to watch that though,looked funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I didn't like man of steel so if it's like that i'll give it a miss.

I would like to watch that though,looked funny.

Lego Batman was loving great. BvS not so much but I liked MoS so I dunno

• Locked thread