Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FourLeaf posted:

I truly thought we would get through 4 years without a war at the beginning of this year but things escalated so quickly ever since I've given up on that hope.

I'm wondering how it's going to go. There's no way it won't be incredibly unpopular once it immediately becomes a mess, even if it's the best case scenario and we just roll over their military and no nukes are fired on either side. Like do Republicans try and pretend it's totally awesome or do they just change the subject and run out of the room when people ask what their stance on it is?

Iraq had a lot of support initially since it was presented as us saving the world while the country was drunk on 9/11 anger/self pity and that invasion went about as well as it could but we are still there sixteen years later. There's no way we can occupy Iraq and North Korea at the same time, especially when our leadership is fantastically incompetent.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a sad state when your president is more unhinged than the hereditary tyrant of the hermit kingdom.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Vermin Supreme would have won.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like there is overly many news stories about how calm guam is. Like someone sent out a memo telling everyone to talk about how calm guam is.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
The looks on the faces of these two tho....

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/graham_euan/status/895981809372086273

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/895985378573918209

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sneakster posted:

I've noticed a recurring pattern of older conservative dudes idealizing the idea of trying to come off as crazy like a fox to leverage negotiating power. I wouldn't be surprised if this is scoring points with people with that kind of mentality despite* this all being unfathomably stupid.

*They're very stupid.

It's because of Reagan. He was unhinged enough to scare the Soviets (or so the myth goes) but not so crazy as to actually start WW3. And well, you know how conservatives idolize Reagan they worship anyone that even slightly reminds them of him.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

If Trump starts a war with NK, it's not going to be well thought out. He's not going to have the military prepare months in advance for an invasion. Either he is going to (try to) declare war outright on Twitter, or he is going to commit an act of war by launching short-range missiles at NK mainland with a single ship or, god forbid, deploy icbms. In either case, very few will know about it beforehand.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean it's just posturing hopefully but would you put it past this administration to just have forgotten about setting poo poo up

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Prediction: Trump declares war on NK via Tweet without alerting the military first. NK levels much of SK before the military can react.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

He used the third biggest bomb ever used in combat in the history of the human race on syria then did nothing much else ever again and everyone loved that, his plan is to do that again on north korea.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If we pooled our resources what would it cost to have Fox produce a video of North Korea blowing up that they could then show Trump on a special closed-circuit version of Fox & Friends?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He used the third biggest bomb ever used in combat in the history of the human race on syria then did nothing much else ever again and everyone loved that, his plan is to do that again on north korea.

The MOAB was dropped in Afghanistan, but that doesn't invalidate the rest of your post.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

St. Dogbert posted:

Prediction: Trump declares war on NK via Tweet without alerting the military first. NK levels much of SK before the military can react.

Unified Korea is going to make the weirdest videogames.

And what the gently caress is a Dniester?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A river

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I've got so many more tweets locked and loaded, ready to go

Un has never been so owned in his life

You've never seen ownage like this. believe me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

And what the gently caress is a Dniester?

A river in Ukraine and Moldova. Relevant in part because the "Trans-Dniester" region of Moldova (a little sliver of the country that's on the opposite bank from the bulk of Moldova) has been under Russian occupation since the 90s.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder what lame nickname he has ready for Un.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I have faith that our president probably doesn't know how to use keys.

Edit: Also, hey Asian-Americans, who ready to be the hot new racism?

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 11, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

If this blows over I advice you all to visit Seoul some day. It is such a fantastic place, vibrant, friendly, and simultaneously modern and traditional. A lot of people who think they would like to go see Japan probably would do well to go see South Korea instead.

Really hope this is just the stupid bluster it sort of looks like.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/895971923066269696
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/895987938831589377

Charliegrs posted:

It's because of Reagan. He was unhinged enough to scare the Soviets (or so the myth goes) but not so crazy as to actually start WW3. And well, you know how conservatives idolize Reagan they worship anyone that even slightly reminds them of him.

For most of them, they idolize Reagan the same way that they follow Christ.

It's a cultural touchstone they've projected all sorts of beliefs onto even when they'd be appalled by the reality of what he said and did.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/895981907133030400

Is there a chin rubbing gif that eventually turns into a nuclear explosion?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

farraday posted:

i think nuclear winter will push my oil stocks higher! :shepface:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Radish posted:

I was very partial to "King Jon" from a few pages ago

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Paracaidas posted:

For most of them, they idolize Reagan the same way that they follow Christ.

It's a cultural touchstone they've projected all sorts of beliefs onto even when they'd be appalled by the reality of what he said and did.

I liked how Jesus busted up all those unions though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Radish posted:

Lil' Kim

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Radish posted:

I'm wondering how it's going to go. There's no way it won't be incredibly unpopular once it immediately becomes a mess, even if it's the best case scenario and we just roll over their military and no nukes are fired on either side. Like do Republicans try and pretend it's totally awesome or do they just change the subject and run out of the room when people ask what their stance on it is?

Iraq had a lot of support initially since it was presented as us saving the world while the country was drunk on 9/11 anger/self pity and that invasion went about as well as it could but we are still there sixteen years later. There's no way we can occupy Iraq and North Korea at the same time, especially when our leadership is fantastically incompetent.

A North Korea conflict would play out completely differently from an Iraq one mainly in that it would be far more horrific and lead to far more destruction than what citizens of 1st world countries have become accustomed to.Even if no nukes are fired on either side, North Korea still has the capability to launch all of those artillery and cannons they have targeted on Seoul and release biological and chemical gases, thereby killing at least 100,000+ Koreans and quite a few foreigners + American soldiers. Unlike previous wars, this carnage would for sure be captured on video in real-time as people broadcast their deaths, and that footage would be spread online and in the news for the world to see. And that's the rather optimistic scenario in which NK doesn't launch any ballistic missiles on Tokyo, Guam, or the US mainland.

How it plays out politically would be contingent on many factors that are difficult to predict right now, particularly who is the aggressor - which is not always clear-cut in many escalations of hostilities - but the sheer, unavoidable brutality of a war with North Korea mean I don't think thinking about it through an Iraqi War lenses is particularly useful.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Could the Republicans start loving up tax reform already so as to distract this idiot from NK? Go back to tweeting about Mitch, Donny.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Charliegrs posted:

What? No, that was literally a purposeful strategy used by Nixon and his advisers. Nixon attempted to appear more unhinged than he was. It predates Reagan.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Condiv posted:

Sadly the new planet wide permanent winter night led to nationalization of all oil. Your stocks will be converted to war bonds.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The MOAB was used on Afghanistan, not Syria.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Someone tell north korea that if they were to simply praise Trump's overwhelming electoral college victory he'd start talking about how great NK is and lift all the sanctions.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

farraday posted:

The markets would disappear and we revert to a post-apocalyptic barter economy (if anyone is left). You don't really need to worry about how your portfolio looks like in a post thermo-nuclear devastated world.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Radish posted:

It's what they did with Iraq and the public has largely forgotten about it so why wouldn't they use that strategy again?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6GdmYqt6wQ
Tremendous, bigly good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Condiv posted:

At least it fixes our climate change problem!!!!!!!!! :v::v::v::v::v:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

It's what they did with Iraq and the public has largely forgotten about it so why wouldn't they use that strategy again?

Maybe? People tend to not care too much about deaths in parts of the world that are are too different, but South Korea and Japan are both pretty well off and economically connected to the U.S., so they may remember how they couldn't get the new iPhone because the Korean parts company got flattened by artillery.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

At least it fixes our climate change problem!!!!!!!!! :v::v::v::v::v:

First the liberals were whining about global warming, and now they're whining about radiation. When will they shut the hell up? :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

What? No, that was literally a purposeful strategy used by Nixon and his advisers. Nixon attempted to appear more unhinged than he was. It predates Reagan.

More unhinged than being held back by Kissinger on using nukes and dropping literally enough bombs to coat Vietnam in more than quarter inch of steel? (Note, that is the estimation of a general long before it ended)

• Locked thread