Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have another question (this thread has been very helpful): how does damage range work? Rather, what is a "good" range? High - High? Low - High? I'm talking about like this build guide: https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/rathma-skeletal-mages-necromancer-bis-gear-gems-paragon-points that says "High Damage Range" as #1 for the weapon

It seems like it should be high - high, but "high range" makes it sounds like low - high is preferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

myron cope posted:

I have another question (this thread has been very helpful): how does damage range work? Rather, what is a "good" range? High - High? Low - High? I'm talking about like this build guide: https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/rathma-skeletal-mages-necromancer-bis-gear-gems-paragon-points that says "High Damage Range" as #1 for the weapon

It seems like it should be high - high, but "high range" makes it sounds like low - high is preferable

You're thinking of wide range. You want both numbers as high as possible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dross posted:

Yeah, like my Starfire that's 5 off max low-end and 18 off max high-end. :v:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dross posted:

Ok that makes sense. Thanks!

Seems like getting a good range is nearly impossible then (well, even if wide was preferred I guess it would still be hard to get)

Edit: does one or the other matter more? Like, if I roll a low first number but a high second one, is that better than both being more in the middle? (If that question makes sense)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

myron cope posted:

Ok that makes sense. Thanks!

Seems like getting a good range is nearly impossible then (well, even if wide was preferred I guess it would still be hard to get)

Yeah, it's really something you only worry about on an ancient weapon that's otherwise drat near perfect. It took me like 75 rerolls to get my Starfire as high as it is.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

myron cope posted:

Imho you always want to be shooting for stats that will let you cause less damage on average, buts that's just imho. Other people recommend stats that let you cause more damage on average.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Imho you always want to be shooting for stats that will let you cause less damage on average, buts that's just imho. Other people recommend stats that let you cause more damage on average.

Why would you want to deal less damage?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Maybe to give Diablo's minions time to think about the mistakes they have made in their route through life.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Anyone have some sage wisdom to impart upon my dumbass who can't wizard beyond GR73 without getting my poo poo pushed in? Is it time to man up and get the CoE on and the aether walker out? I've also got a tal's ammy that adds some more CDR and crit at the cost of some CHD.

I know my wand is "meh" at best but those are the best rolls I've been able to pull out of rerolling one about 30 times and upgrading at least 150 rare wands in the cube.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SpaceBandito-1710/hero/69977574

Necro commentary welcome on my boy SkellyMans as well but is probably not as essential since I was able to clear GR81 without dying even with the awful rolls on his gear.

Ignore the crusader unless you wanna see a true mess of rolls, he's basically a mirror of this weeks challenge rift but probably not as good.

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 10, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SpaceBanditos posted:

Anyone have some sage wisdom to impart upon my dumbass who can't wizard beyond GR73 without getting my poo poo pushed in? Is it time to man up and get the CoE on and the aether walker out? I've also got a tal's ammy that adds some more CDR and crit at the cost of some CHD.

I know my wand is "meh" at best but those are the best rolls I've been able to pull out of rerolling one about 30 times and upgrading at least 150 rare wands in the cube.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SpaceBandito-1710/hero/69977574

Necro commentary welcome on my boy SkellyMans as well but is probably not as essential since I was able to clear GR81 without dying even with the awful rolls on his gear.

Ignore the crusader unless you wanna see a true mess of rolls, he's basically a mirror of this weeks challenge rift but probably not as good.

Arcane Torrent contributes almost no damage at all and that can be rolled off on your boots for another defensive stat. Otherwise you shouldn't be having too much trouble with this setup on a GR73, switch to APDs instead of Nemesis if you can't stay alive.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I just want a god drat Tasker and a Jeram so I can make this stupid hybrid broke rear end helltooth/zuni's set work. Oh, and a Short Man's so I can have more pets.

I'm not worried about pushing GR70+, I would be happy hitting 50 at this point. I just want a whole bunch of pets. 6 dogs, 3 gargs, 8 fetish, another 15 fetish...

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Guilty posted:

It depends on your build

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

please explain the best lower average damage builds.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

big nipples big life posted:

please explain the best lower average damage builds.

If, for example, you're looking to do less damage per attack, equipping a weapon that does lower average damage is one way to accomplish this

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

It's one thing to not think a joke is funny, it's entirely another to fail to realize that it was one.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
As a support monk, would I potentially want to do less damage, so that there is more damage available for my dps mates to do? I could see that

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Guilty posted:

For the secret cheevo.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Dross posted:

It's one thing to not think a joke is funny, it's entirely another to fail to realize that it was one.

Ah, yes. A legit question about ambiguous wording results in this "joke".

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It's no joke if you're trying to hit any of the low weapon damage breakpoints.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The staff of herding has 1sheet dps, should make that easy peasy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A couple of set dungeons are actually more difficult with optimal gear because you kill poo poo too quick. I had to make a lvl 25 or whatever yellow axe to tank my DPS enough to tick off Rathma.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Jesus Christ, how utterly ridiculous is DH Shadow + Impale build? I have wasted so much time plinking away at poo poo with UE Multishot...

Have mostly been following Icy Veins guide while I get to grips with murdering things with daggers, but I'm wondering why it has Aquilla cubed instead of Gunes?

They seem to do the same thing defence-wise, but the hat means you can take the freeze rune on vengeance, which looks useful. Is it just for the couple of seconds while vengeance is not up?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
With either the cold or lightning impale, you have infinite hatred as long as you're not 1 shotting everything or missing all your throws. This means aquilla uptime is almost 100%. And you use dark heart as your vengeance rune for even more damage reduction. With dawn cubed and 15 gogok stacks, a flawless royal diamond in the helmet, 10% CDR from paragon and 8% CDR somewhere on your gear (preferably the shoulders), vengeance uptime is 100% except for the first time you use it since you have no gogok stacks then.

I run ~5 minute GR79s as a shadow DH for gem leveling and I can facetank a LOT of stuff thanks to all that DR and life per hit/life per kill. The freeze rune on vengeance isn't terribly useful, or needed.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Suspicious posted:

for even more damage reduction

Oh, right. That's what I missed.

I'm just enjoying roflstomping 75 at the moment, but I guess when grifts get hard that would be required.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

xiansi posted:

Oh, right. That's what I missed.

I'm just enjoying roflstomping 75 at the moment, but I guess when grifts get hard that would be required.

Yeah you absolutely need it to be able to sit still long enough to get the full travelers pledge bonus

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol. I had no idea this was a thing. I'm sure it's old hat in here, but news to me. Time to go revisit my key bindings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAI8s8rft4

It's a leprechaun!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Not great but hopefully I find some better ones soon. Would have been nice if either had native sockets.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

the inarius + blind faith speed farm build is hilarious. I just did a 5 minute GR70 without an in-geom and only hitting a single button once every 60 seconds

:laffo:

Turns out this build is pretty nice. I watched some YouTube video on it, and with having the pain enhancer and the toxin gem at 0 it was ok, once I leveled them up some it really came into its own. And I don't even have the Blind Faith (I had like 3 or 4 of them but sharded them when I thought they were useless :()

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

myron cope posted:

Turns out this build is pretty nice. I watched some YouTube video on it, and with having the pain enhancer and the toxin gem at 0 it was ok, once I leveled them up some it really came into its own. And I don't even have the Blind Faith (I had like 3 or 4 of them but sharded them when I thought they were useless :()

Don't feel bad, everyone shards them. I farmed for one and got a nice socketed ancient one with Crit. Really makes the build sing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a blind faith but I got a Primal Ancient Defiler Cuisess so I'm gonna try to make that work instead of the hat.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Bust Rodd posted:

I have a blind faith but I got a Primal Ancient Defiler Cuisess so I'm gonna try to make that work instead of the hat.

Yeah definitely go with something that's completely unsynergistic with the build

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah definitely go with something that's completely unsynergistic with the build

The build I've been using has bone spirit as my single target DPS for RGs and so on, so it's already on my bar, and I feel like something going from 4,000% weapon damage to 8,000% weapon damage seems not insignificant.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I think bone spirit is just in that build to proc krysbins with the charm effect isn't it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ort posted:

I think bone spirit is just in that build to proc krysbins with the charm effect isn't it?

Yep

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Not great but hopefully I find some better ones soon. Would have been nice if either had native sockets.

Just to clarify, you know these are both auto salvage items right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guilty posted:

Just to clarify, you know these are both auto salvage items right?

If I had an alternative, sure. But I don't and they're still better than the normal poo poo items I was wearing before.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Nuebot posted:

If I had an alternative, sure. But I don't and they're still better than the normal poo poo items I was wearing before.

I hope we don't start a trend of posting pure garbage constantly.

In other news, based on the recommendation of this thread, I tried the lazystorm blind Faith build and holy poo poo, it's perfect. Nearly everything I want in a t13 build. But was wondering

1. Why reilena's instead of scythe of the cycle?

2. Is there an in geom variation?

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I'd guess that you'd take the Reliena's for the 'more essence = more damage'. That's what the old one used, and it's potent regardless of build.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Guilty posted:

I hope we don't start a trend of posting pure garbage constantly.

lol

You must be new here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003

GoingPostal posted:

I'd guess that you'd take the Reliena's for the 'more essence = more damage'. That's what the old one used, and it's potent regardless of build.

Seems like a dumb choice considering at 300 Essence it gives 150% dmg increase whereas scythe of the cycle gives a 300% dmg increase for using bone armor

Edit: ah, secondary skills only. I see