Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/aurelianrabbit/status/895799203846275072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

potatocubed posted:

Having run Chuubo, I'd say that while I found the book very clear it felt an awful lot like I was still missing a huge chunk of information and that information was someone's entire life. Like, poring over Nobilis and Hitherby Dragons* helped me understand Chuubo in the sense that it helped me understand Jenna's outlook and approach to writing games, and I felt like the more I knew about that the more I could see of the big picture that Chuubo was giving me a letterbox into.
Yikes, are Moran's games actually this hard to get into? This sounds like David Lynch levels of "Well, if you don't get it, just watch every other film he's made a couple of times."

Covok posted:

I heard his game was full of plus one magical items, that he had too costly boost the party to deal with the ridiculous enemies he was making that had hundreds of HP and were near impossible to hit, and he had added some kind of D100 table of random things to happen when you use a spell.
Why do people just fuckin' love huge tables of Wacky Magic Spell Failures? They're bad, people. The entire concept is inspired by one page of a Jack Vance story and they're just bad. As far as return on investment is concerned, the ratio of "funny stories you'll tell later" to "annoying slog and game-derailing bullshit" is absurdly low.

ImpactVector posted:

Gamma World owns, though it's getting kind of rare. It comes with a pile of player+monster pogs and a bunch of the cards it uses for abilities/gear.
Gamma World is neat because while D&D stayed stuck in the late 70s for most of its lifespan, contemporary editions of Gamma World generally mirrored contemporary trends in game design. In the case of 7e, they were actually ahead of the curve.

It's almost as if TSR knew how to design a modern game, and deliberately held off when it came to D&D because they were scared they'd make baby cry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Gamma World is neat because while D&D stayed stuck in the late 70s for most of its lifespan, contemporary editions of Gamma World generally mirrored contemporary trends in game design. In the case of 7e, they were actually ahead of the curve.

It's almost as if TSR knew how to design a modern game, and deliberately held off when it came to D&D because they were scared they'd make baby cry.

Every time someone says "uhhh D&D 4e would have been a lot more acceptable if only it just wasn't called Dungeons and Dragons", I want to smack them upside the head with the Gamma World 7e box.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That's actually true. David "Zeb" Cook has talked about how he had ideas for many more modern mechanics for 2e (ascending AC, for one) but the design team held back on using them for fear of player backlash. It's worth remembering that one of Gygax's original Greyhawk campaign players (Skip Williams) was a major part of the rules team for D&D until 4e. The conservativism was STRONG.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

Every time someone says "uhhh D&D 4e would have been a lot more acceptable if only it just wasn't called Dungeons and Dragons", I want to smack them upside the head with the Gamma World 7e box.

Gamma World would have been better if they'd printed more copies.

Man, I miss when WotC actually had an RPG R&D department instead of two freelancers and a well worn copy of 3.5.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I know this has already been answered, but I want to emphasize just how wrong this is. Fragged is super loving trad when it comes to the non-combat stuff. You have skills and roll against target numbers chosen by the GM, plus they can give you a bonus/penalty for RP, and the results are pass/fail with no fail forward elements at all. There are some "strong hit" effects you can choose which act basically like a critical success system. Looking at just the skills system, Fragged is essentially akin to a d20 game from 15 years ago.

Please don't take this as me bashing Fragged - this is just an honest analysis of one element of a game which has other more important elements.

Interestingly, this is actually something a couple of my players are excited about with Fragged. We've been playing games where you invent your own skills/traits a lot, like 13th Age (and currently Strike!), which a couple of them have a hard time with. It's a paradigm I personally like a whole lot, especially in its Strike! incarnation (because of the ability to learn new skills by getting a critical success on something you aren't trained in), but I can understand sort of feeling a lot of pressure right away with that kind of thing.

But in Fragged, you just pick skills from a list. The game tells you what kind of skills are applicable to the kind of game it's designed for and you just pick the ones you're good at.

It definitely doesn't codify any sort of failing forward, but I'm really of the opinion that "fail forward" just kind of follows naturally from "don't even bother rolling if there isn't an interesting narrative consequence for both success and failure" so there's not much need to codify it if you're playing by that principle. It certainly doesn't hurt, though.

I'm interested in how Strong Hits can play into creating a pseudo-"partial success" system. The basic Strong Hit options that everyone gets don't really help with that--the only one that applies to normal skills, Effort, just lets you re-roll a die for a chance to turn failure into success--but there are other options you can get from traits that don't require you to succeed on the roll to still do something. I'm not going to house rule a game I haven't even run yet, but long-term, depending on how it plays, I might end up adding in a new Strong Hit option called "Partial Success" for normal skills: if one of your dice is a 6 but you don't succeed at the roll, you can either gamble on a re-roll and try to succeed, or take a consolation prize. But I want to see how everything plays out as written first.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

That's actually true. David "Zeb" Cook has talked about how he had ideas for many more modern mechanics for 2e (ascending AC, for one) but the design team held back on using them for fear of player backlash. It's worth remembering that one of Gygax's original Greyhawk campaign players (Skip Williams) was a major part of the rules team for D&D until 4e. The conservativism was STRONG.

I'm not gonna rehash the Quicken Spell story again because I know you've heard that a bunch of times from me already, but it's still my favorite bit of trivia about Skip Williams.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jimbozig posted:

I know this has already been answered, but I want to emphasize just how wrong this is. Fragged is super loving trad when it comes to the non-combat stuff. You have skills and roll against target numbers chosen by the GM, plus they can give you a bonus/penalty for RP, and the results are pass/fail with no fail forward elements at all. There are some "strong hit" effects you can choose which act basically like a critical success system. Looking at just the skills system, Fragged is essentially akin to a d20 game from 15 years ago.

Yeah, I think I got a poor second hand description so all I knew was d6 bell current resolution and strong hit sounded like degrees of success. Honestly hearing it's closer to a d20 system (but with a bell curve) makes it more appealing to me.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not gonna rehash the Quicken Spell story again because I know you've heard that a bunch of times from me already, but it's still my favorite bit of trivia about Skip Williams.

I haven't. :allears:

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 11, 2017

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kwyndig posted:

Gamma World would have been better if they'd printed more copies.

There's a lonely brand new copy that's been sitting at my FLGS for like three years. One of these days someone will grab it.

Me, I've got the whole set and Drivethru was polite enough to print me a copy of every card they ever made for it for 20 dollars. The future is rad.

Jimbozig posted:

Kits are my biggest regret in Strike! I didn't present them in a way that motivates players to use them or explains why you might want to use them, and as a result everyone skips them. Which is fine, I wanted them to be optional and not for every game. But I was certainly hoping for more uptake then they have seen. I think they are mechanically sound - they aren't broken or anything. But they don't justify their presence.

My biggest concern when holding them up in our design space was that a bunch of them have a bunch of combat-related effects and skill descriptions, for the purpose of having simultaneous combat models in the game. Basically so that DMs could make the call of "this combat isn't as important and will be handled through your skills." This concept sounds awesome, but since the kits and tactical system are wholly discrete, a problem arises where I feel compelled to remodel the kits to match the classes so that players feel like "I took this archer and then this kit that vaguely resembles the archer."

My first thought at that point was "Okay, excise the combat aspects of the kits, no one wants to play non-tactical combat, the whole point of using Strike! to write Blimpleggers is the cool tactical combat model." But there's too many and they're too ingrained. Which isn't a bug! It's just the natural interaction between two optional game chunks. I am very much digging ARB's concept of parallel noncombat feat trees though, that's a good idea.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 11, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

As a player, getting to make up my own skills is really cool and fun which is one really appealing thing about 13th Age and Strike. As a designer, there's a lot of fun to be had in designing skill lists and trying to build a list of actions that fit with the theme of your game, which is really cool in systems like Fate, Cortex and even D&D type games if you're looking at doing some hacking.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

Interestingly, this is actually something a couple of my players are excited about with Fragged. We've been playing games where you invent your own skills/traits a lot, like 13th Age (and currently Strike!), which a couple of them have a hard time with. It's a paradigm I personally like a whole lot, especially in its Strike! incarnation (because of the ability to learn new skills by getting a critical success on something you aren't trained in), but I can understand sort of feeling a lot of pressure right away with that kind of thing.
I get this, yeah. I've mentioned it before but rules/charts actually help some kinds of new players rather than intimidating then like we generally assume. When I've taught rules light games (or even just Strike's noncombat stuff like you mentioned) I sometimes see people get really anxious because it isn't totally clear what their boundaries are. I don't really have a solution to this but it's a phenomenon I see somewhat often with people who don't have a real breadth of experience to draw from.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

theironjef posted:

Me, I've got the whole set and Drivethru was polite enough to print me a copy of every card they ever made for it for 20 dollars. The future is rad.

What's the quality like?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Serf posted:

As a player, getting to make up my own skills is really cool and fun which is one really appealing thing about 13th Age and Strike. As a designer, there's a lot of fun to be had in designing skill lists and trying to build a list of actions that fit with the theme of your game, which is really cool in systems like Fate, Cortex and even D&D type games if you're looking at doing some hacking.

I really like getting to make up my own skills. I've only gotten to actually play a system like that once--a friend ran a 13th Age game a couple years back--but I had a really good time making up my character's skills and it helped a lot in figuring out who he was. Some of my players enjoy that process, too. A couple of them had a really hard time doing so in our current Strike! game, unfortunately. My girlfriend still has an empty skill slot on her Strike! character's sheet because she couldn't think of something to put there and felt really bad about it. Another player just picked one of the example backgrounds in the book and took all those skills and tricks, and they've turned out not to really be appropriate for the space-traveling bounty hunter thing we're doing. I've made it clear to everyone they're free to have a total do-over on that kind of thing once they're more comfortable with the system, at least.

Next time I run Strike!, I might come up with an example skill list that's appropriate to the setting we're in just in case someone's paralyzed by choice again. I probably should've done that this time, really.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

But in Fragged, you just pick skills from a list. The game tells you what kind of skills are applicable to the kind of game it's designed for and you just pick the ones you're good at.

One of the hangups I had when I was first reading Rolemaster was the skill list. They had climbing, swimming, riding, disarm traps, pick locks, stalk & hide, perception, and ambush.

I kept thinking, "where's the diplomacy skill? where's the knowledge skills?", and then I realized that, if you were using this to play Dungeons & Dragons with, then you wouldn't need any of that, because any kind of social interaction, or really any kind of activity outside of combat would be handled by talking through it and maaaybe the DM rolling a die and pulling something out of their rear end, just the way it was done back in the 70s and 80s before even the AD&D skill proficiencies system was developed.

(they eventually did add a bunch of "non-combat" skills to Rolemaster through splatbooks, but I think the reaction from players at the time was that the game was much worse-off for it, since it drastically increased the size of a character's book-keeping without adding more skill points, which were competing with combat skills)

I guess my point is that I learned the lesson that the skill list should be tailored to what the game is about and what the players should be doing, and in that context it's completely understandable that Rolemaster doesn't have a "diplomacy" skill since it's more about attacking Orcs and looking up on the chart how far their arm flies off.

Countblanc posted:

I get this, yeah. I've mentioned it before but rules/charts actually help some kinds of new players rather than intimidating then like we generally assume. When I've taught rules light games (or even just Strike's noncombat stuff like you mentioned) I sometimes see people get really anxious because it isn't totally clear what their boundaries are. I don't really have a solution to this but it's a phenomenon I see somewhat often with people who don't have a real breadth of experience to draw from.

I've had an experience where I tried to use the One Unique Thing concept from 13th Age, and one of the players immediately said "I want to be an Undead, so that when I die, I can just come back, which means I can't die" - the other players immediately twigged upon this as being "overpowered", and I wasn't sure how to handle telling the player that the OUT wasn't supposed to have specific "mechanical" rewards without shutting down his whole idea.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

What's the quality like?

I also have a number of the original cards (because I have all the box sets and half a booster box I found in the dusty corner of a sports cards store), and the reprints are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

Wait what? The only real downside of the game was the random packs of cards and no easy way to weed duplicates out of your pile or figure out if you have a full set.

:rip::20bux:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah, I think I got a poor second hand description so all I knew was d6 bell current resolution and strong hit sounded like degrees of success. Honestly hearing it's closer to a d20 system (but with a bell curve) makes it more appealing to me.

I haven't. :allears:

I wrote a review of it you should read!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

Wait what? The only real downside of the game was the random packs of cards and no easy way to weed duplicates out of your pile or figure out if you have a full set.

:rip::20bux:

Here's the link: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/161308/DD-Gamma-World-RPG-Booster-Cards-GW7e?src=hottest_filtered.

Might be my favorite DTRPG purchase ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess my point is that I learned the lesson that the skill list should be tailored to what the game is about and what the players should be doing, and in that context it's completely understandable that Rolemaster doesn't have a "diplomacy" skill since it's more about attacking Orcs and looking up on the chart how far their arm flies off.

Yeah, I really like that sort of thing.

It took me a while to come around to that. When I was a young GM, I was pretty heavily seduced by D&D (specifically 3.Pathfinder) and thought that it was supposed to model every aspect of roleplaying, period. I didn't really have the experience to tell a player who grabs, say, Appraise and Diplomacy in a purely dungeon-crawling game that they're probably not going to get a lot of use out of those skills given the game we're going to be playing. It just never occurred to me that would be a useful thing to do. It's also why I had such hang-ups about D&D 4e before I actually played it: it was the first edition of D&D that I'd personally read that tried to be about something specific, rather than some catch-all physics engine for all fantasy roleplaying ever.

When I say Fragged Empire has a skill list suited to the kind of game it is, I don't really mean to say its skill list is particularly narrow, either. The game is designed for open-ended, exploration-based campaigns that are largely about your group of PCs trying to make their way in the world, so it has a pretty wide array of skill types. But it's also the kind of game where, should a player decide they want to be the face, with Leadership, Culture, Wealth, Conversation, and Psychology as their skills, even if everyone else is focused around physical skills and hacking and the kinds of things that'd be useful in a "dungeon" environment, the face is still probably going to find those skills valuable.

It's helped out by Fragged doing something that a lot of other skill-based (rather than class-based) games don't do: it totally separates your "primary" skills from your combat and vehicle skills. Everyone gets 6 primary skills, 2 combat skills, and 2 vehicle system skills, no matter who you are. You're never going to end up making a totally combat-incapable character because you spent all your skill points on talking.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

I really like getting to make up my own skills. I've only gotten to actually play a system like that once--a friend ran a 13th Age game a couple years back--but I had a really good time making up my character's skills and it helped a lot in figuring out who he was. Some of my players enjoy that process, too. A couple of them had a really hard time doing so in our current Strike! game, unfortunately. My girlfriend still has an empty skill slot on her Strike! character's sheet because she couldn't think of something to put there and felt really bad about it. Another player just picked one of the example backgrounds in the book and took all those skills and tricks, and they've turned out not to really be appropriate for the space-traveling bounty hunter thing we're doing. I've made it clear to everyone they're free to have a total do-over on that kind of thing once they're more comfortable with the system, at least.

Next time I run Strike!, I might come up with an example skill list that's appropriate to the setting we're in just in case someone's paralyzed by choice again. I probably should've done that this time, really.

I did this in both my Strike games through the Origins and Backgrounds. I created a bunch of them and gave them skills that I thought would be appropriate for the game as examples and guidelines.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Serf posted:

I did this in both my Strike games through the Origins and Backgrounds. I created a bunch of them and gave them skills that I thought would be appropriate for the game as examples and guidelines.

Yeah, I'll definitely do that next time. I put a ton of prep into this one before we got started and for some reason that's one thing that totally slipped my mind as something that might be valuable.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

I also have a number of the original cards (because I have all the box sets and half a booster box I found in the dusty corner of a sports cards store), and the reprints are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.
Yeah, I was adding boosters to fill out my CoolStuffInc orders to the free shipping threshold for a while.

And now that I look at the PDF samples, it looks like the cards are numbered, so I could check to see what I have. And I'll have to go through them anyway to pull out the original set and the 10 Legion of Gold cards...

:20bux: saved... for now.

E: Still, thanks for the info. The card situation was my one Gamma-related regret. Now I can make sure I have a full set.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

But I can add Powers and Motherfucking Perils to the list, avalon hill's foray into the boxed set rpg world. http://powersandperils.org

I did an F&F for it around, oh, 2012 and it's a wonderfully bizarre game that's very early 80's, with design elements that I've never seen before or since.
P&P is a wonderful example of the hazards of an RPG being a one-man show. The same guy designed it, developed it, wrote it, playtested it, edited it, and proofread it, and I'm sure it all made prefect sense to him.

Almost a perfect example of a fantasy heartbreaker. There actually was a lot of very cool stuff inside the game, but good luck finding it or extracting it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cassa posted:

Why is it bad handwavium for the skill guy to use his skills to punch above his weight and take out evil speedster?
It's the same problem as old editions of D&D where spells have specific, measurable, reliable effects, but noncasters have to negotiate with the DM to accomplish things besides rolling to hit.

And in fact, this speaks to a much bigger and more widespread problem. Most games have far more detailed rules for combat than they do for using skills. Players go for combat stuff because they know combat will definitely happen eventually, and the stakes are life and death. But will you ever use that History skill? This problem is exacerbated in games with a long list of very specific skills.

Let's say you're using a system like FUDGE/FATE. Jeff explains to Bob how Batman is tricking Flash into running facefirst into a wall. Batman rolls his Deceit skill and inflicts Stress as if he were using a weapon. Fine.

OTOH, say you're in the Mutants & Masterminds game I was in, where a player wanted to defeat a villain by collapsing a building on him. Not only did the player have to justify it by saying he had a weapon that could destroy a support beam, the GM wanted to make sure that the explosive batarang (or whatever it was) actually had enough power to defeat the pillar's toughness. Then he determined the difficulty of dodging a collapsing building. Then when the villain failed, he actually Googled the weight of 4 stories worth of bricks and looked the weight up on a table to determine the damage and gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Ahem. Uh, and in conclusion, superhero games should use a relatively loose, narrative system.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Just to return the favor re: Gamma World love, if you want to go full nerd you could also get a set of origin and power cards printed:

Old RPG Geek thread

Artscow POD link

It's not super cheap for a full set, but they run sales pretty often. Looks like they're doing a 35% off everything promo right now.

And I really like drawing origins from a deck instead of rolling for some reason (which also prevents duplicates).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
While I was moving to a new place, I found out that I have a copy of weapons of the Gods. I know that weapons the gods was remade into legend of the wulin when the license ran out. Anyone know what the difference is between the two games? I'm definitely not going to rebuy it, but I am curious if anything significant changed. Also, this game has some really loving nice art. But it does it a poo poo job telling you what the setting is. The lore sheet idea is an interesting way of handling knowledge, but it doesn't do a good job of telling someone who knows nothing about the comic what the setting is about.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Halloween Jack posted:

Uh, and in conclusion, superhero games should use a relatively loose, narrative system.

Check out Prowlers and Paragons. It's a super rules light, narrative system and I've fallen in love with it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't eat bread because I'm on a W&W nocarb diet so I'm beyond good and evil

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

Why do people just fuckin' love huge tables of Wacky Magic Spell Failures? They're bad, people. The entire concept is inspired by one page of a Jack Vance story and they're just bad. As far as return on investment is concerned, the ratio of "funny stories you'll tell later" to "annoying slog and game-derailing bullshit" is absurdly low.

I'll only defend it in one instance, and even then I'm going to caveat it and say that it really isn't much of a defense. You are, for the most part, correct about Wacky Magic Spell Failures Table.

It works in the 40k RPGs because it's justifiable both on the fluff level (psykers do have a nasty habit of shorting out) and loosely on the balance level (psykers have no limit on the number of 'spells' they cast). Sure, you can use your psyker powers with no chance of random poo poo happening but it's generally not as efficient as using them unfettered, where there's a bit of a risk for failure/random poo poo occurring. Psychic Phenomena(Bad Table)/Perils of the Warp (Really Bad Table) act as negative reinforcement for psyker characters - be careful of playing with fire, lest you get burned.

The problem with it becomes threefold though. One is that one of the possible, however improbable, side effects is summoning a daemon prince who is basically going to TPK. Everybody burns their Fate Points, lives another day, and treats the psyker character with extreme caution. Players might tell stories about this in the future, but it'll generally be to give the psyker player a hard time.

Two is that it makes Psyker characters relatively newbie-unfriendly. Starting out, everybody is afraid of rolling on the Big Bad Random Tables and so they reluctantly use their powers when the reality is that players actually have a fair amount of control over the randomness. You don't have to trigger a roll on the Wacky Random Table unless you want to risk it or you deliberately make that roll (by pushing your powers beyond their limit).

Three is that as players get more powerful, you can really mitigate the side effects in a big way. Rite of Sanctioning, for instance, allows you to select which Psychic Phenomena occurs so the player can choose a relatively harmless one that does no damage to them. Higher-level players get access to Warp Lock, which basically allows them to spend a Fate Point and take some unsoakable damage to prevent a Perils roll, which is where the really bad poo poo occurs.

It has generated some interesting stories when I played 40k RPGs, though. For instance, in one Black Crusade game an enemy Inquisitor tried to use his psyker powers (enemy psykers are subject to the same rules, unless there's a special exception)... only to roll Perils, and then they rolled Daemonic Possession. *cue LaffTrax* Needless to say, we wound up with a pretty neat ally.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 11, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

theironjef posted:

My first thought at that point was "Okay, excise the combat aspects of the kits, no one wants to play non-tactical combat, the whole point of using Strike! to write Blimpleggers is the cool tactical combat model." But there's too many and they're too ingrained. Which isn't a bug! It's just the natural interaction between two optional game chunks. I am very much digging ARB's concept of parallel noncombat feat trees though, that's a good idea.

I'm generally of the idea these days that if you're going to have combat be the traditional tactical subgame it is that the stats for combat and noncombat should be separated into different advancements, particularly if it's expected that all PCs are competent in combat in one sense or another. It's not something you see too often, though, but it's something, say, any martial arts-themed game should do in my mind. Even if it doesn't necessarily make "sense", Jack Burton can run around bumbling and quipping his way into victory even if his character isn't a martial arts master.

Halloween Jack posted:

OTOH, say you're in the Mutants & Masterminds game I was in, where a player wanted to defeat a villain by collapsing a building on him. Not only did the player have to justify it by saying he had a weapon that could destroy a support beam, the GM wanted to make sure that the explosive batarang (or whatever it was) actually had enough power to defeat the pillar's toughness. Then he determined the difficulty of dodging a collapsing building. Then when the villain failed, he actually Googled the weight of 4 stories worth of bricks and looked the weight up on a table to determine the damage and gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Ahem. Uh, and in conclusion, superhero games should use a relatively loose, narrative system.

I admit I have never seen M&M ran that way. The right way, I would say, would be to be like, "Okay, spend a Hero Point, do you want to boost your damage or do a power stunt to do an area effect the villain can't dodge, or what?" Trying to do it all mechanically like that is a huge headache and not at all how the game's supposed to be run. (I mean, I've seen Steve Kenson run games multiple times and I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be down with that.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tell me this story (here or skype whatever) because I've not heard it and Skip Williams is like #3 on my "game devs I'd like to bludgeon with a cosh" list.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Yawgmoth posted:

Tell me this story (here or skype whatever) because I've not heard it and Skip Williams is like #3 on my "game devs I'd like to bludgeon with a cosh" list.

After a bit of Googling it seems that there was a massive flamewar on the D&D forums involving Skip Williams over whether or not Sorcerers could use the Quicken Spell feat.

Skip interpretation: The rules say that a Sorcerer takes a full action to cast a metamagic spell. A Quickened spell is a metamagic spell regardless of what effect that metamagic has, so it takes a full round to cast, overriding Quicken.

Other interpretation: The rules say that a Sorcerer takes a full action to cast a metamagic spell that would normally take a standard action to cast. Quicken Spell states that a spell can be cast as a free action if it would otherwise cast in a full round or less. So there are two interpretations:
* A quickened spell would "normally" take a free action to cast (not a standard action) so the full action modification does not apply and the spell can be cast as a free action.
* The spell would "normally", without Quicken, take a standard action to cast. Then the sorcerer's modification makes it a full action, but this does not prevent Quicken working because Quicken still works on full round spells. So Quicken then makes it a free action.

This apparently took up 5 threads on the D&D forums and ended with the originator of the argument getting banned at the same time Skip was laid off.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 11, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone apply "fail forward" to combat in games with rolls for attacks? Not making the player roll a skill check if there isn't narrative value on both sides of the outcome seems mainstream in this thread, but what do people put in terms of narrative advancement on the "miss" side of an attack roll?

Generally the PCs are going to beat the wandering monster, so would it be better to just skip the rolls and maybe assess some damage or resource usage based on CR?

(I don't believe that it would be better, but I don't know why, so I'm looking for some help figuring it out.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The consequence of missing in combat is that the enemy lives another turn / isn't CC'd / whatever. If that isn't bad enough by itself, the enemy probably wasn't dangerous enough to justify existing in the first place.

Or you could go for the braver option design-wise, and excise to-hit rolls entirely. :getin:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Strike has Miss tokens which aren't really fail forward but have a similar effect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The person in question was Frank Trollman, the most immersive designer of verisimilitude alive, and I have to share select quotes because it's too good:

Frank Trollman posted:

OK, I was kicked out from the WotC board because Skip Williams was let go during the shift to 3.5 (which at that time was a two man show of Ed Stark and Andy Collins). That's probably not very helpful, so I'll go into some more history on that.

Back in the days of 3rd edition, there were three main authors of D&D (Ed Stark, Skip Williams, and Monte Cook), and a playtesting staff. It was wild times, and noone appreciated the level of discussion and feed back we got, least of all me.

I used to post in an extremely no-nonsense, no embelishment style under the name "Frank". I would clearly separate opinion from direct text interpretation with line breaks, and I would quote the exact page numbers and rules statements that I was basing interpretations on. Like all the time. It must have been pretty annoying.

But it also lent my statements a good deal of weight on the WotC boards. When I made a rules argument, I'd bust out the actual rules and laboriously transcribe the statements point for point into quote boxes so that people could see the text I was basing interpretations on. That meant that when I said that a rule said XXX, it actually said that. And I'd even quote it.

This contrasted severely with the way Skip Williams did things in his capacity as "The Sage". He'd answer rules questions about the rules without necessarily having a copy of the rules on him. Sometimes the answers he'd give were... bad for the game. Classic examples include Monks holding torches and diagonal weapon reach.

But Skip Williams, in his capacity as "The Sage" had decided that the worst thing he could do was admit that he was worng. So he didn't do it. Ever. If he made a flippant answer on a chat room when he didn't have the books on him and someone would bring it up later, he'd never say "Sorry dude, I was way drunk, I have no idea what you're talking about." - he'd come up with some elaborate construction about why the answer was right all along. Sometimes he'd be forced to argue that two opposing answers from himself were both correct at the same time. This caused Skip and I to post answers to similar questions that were very different.

And when people brought up the differences (usually with an angry "But the Sgae says...") I would retain my implaccable demeanor. My standard answer would be something along the lines of "Skip Williams is on crack, the rules clearly say on page XX, page XY, and page XZ that it works like this...." And people noticed. And some people grew over time to hate me for it. But what ultimately got me banned was that some people decided that they agreed with me.

Josh Kablack, the same Josh who occasssionally posts here today and at one time worked on Exalted in some capacity, put up a fateful post on the boards. The title was "Skip vs. Frank: Sorcerers and Quicken Spell". You see, Skip Williams stated in his advice column, and in Tome and Blood, and in personal email, and in the FAQ, and probably embroidered on his underpants even that Sorcerers couldn't benefit from Quicken Spell because of the extra time it takes for a Sorcerer to use Metamagic. Well, under the third edition rules, that's not actually what the rules said...

And this produced a huge flame war. A flame war I didn't even particularly participate in because it was being waged by other people I had never met quoting Skip Williams and me back and forth at each other. Occassionally I'd bump in to correct someone on a page citation and that was about it. The whole thing went on for dozens of pages of replies.

And that might have been the end of it, but someone else started "Frank vs. Skip Part II" a thread about another disagreement between my own quotes and Skip's. And someone else started a "Frank vs. Skip III". And a part four. I think there was a part five. Part six I think was the one that got closed by moderators. Each featured a new issue and the only core structure was that it featured someone quoting me explaining what the rulebook said against Skip Williams explaining what he thought the rulebook meant.

I got emails from WotC game designers warning me that if I didn't stop it that bad things would happen to me. And I told them the honest truth - which was that I could not stop it because I wasn't even involved in their production. I didn't even know most of the people starting the threads or arguing on my behalf.

And when Skip Williams stepped down, so did I. The same day that he signed his mandatory resignation letter, I got banned from the WotC board. Did you know that when a lead designer steps down from a WotC post they get to ban anyone that pisses them off before they go? Well, you do now.

And then 3.5 came out, and the wording that I said had to be in the basic book if Skip wanted it to work the way he said it was written to work appeared like magic in the 3.5 PHB. And I'm still banned. And at this point, I'm not coming back because I don't care.

I no longer champion the notion that the rules as written can be exactly followed like a legal text. The 3.5 rules are simply too long to do that with. Sword and Fist was 95 pages long and even the 3rd edition DMG was only 253. You could seriously sit down and thumb through all of D&D in an evening and find every rule pertaining to a subject. You could put them all on the table and analyze how they interact.

3.5 made a second complete book about Wizards. I have no idea what all the rules do. No one does. The lead designers don't even participate in the production of all the books. There isn't a single person on the planet who has read all of the rules published for 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons.

Trollman is or was quite vociferous when arguing about, well, anything, so this is just his side of the story. But I believe it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, broken clocks and all that.

Ceterum autem censeo Trollman esse delendum.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't believe that he didn't sockpuppet at least one of those threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Does anyone apply "fail forward" to combat in games with rolls for attacks? Not making the player roll a skill check if there isn't narrative value on both sides of the outcome seems mainstream in this thread, but what do people put in terms of narrative advancement on the "miss" side of an attack roll?

Generally the PCs are going to beat the wandering monster, so would it be better to just skip the rolls and maybe assess some damage or resource usage based on CR?

(I don't believe that it would be better, but I don't know why, so I'm looking for some help figuring it out.)

Damage on a miss.

• Locked thread