Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Marketing New Brain posted:

That doesn't follow, the huge success of Hearthstone means they occupy a small percentage of the market for digital card games, so they have a ton of room to grow even if digital card games themselves are relatively stagnant, which I doubt. The same growth just simply isn't possible with their paper product, due to the myriad of logistical issues that come with playing a game with paper cards.

They also aren't investing jumping in after Hearthstone, they existed in the marketplace about a decade ahead of them, it would be an investment in an already successful, revenue generating product. Now their choice to create a Magic MMO, on the other hand . . .

There's room to grow, but that's no guarantee they will, and doing so requires basically rebuilding the product from scratch. It's a big investment up front for an uncertain payoff in a market that right now is about to get flooded with newer, better-made competitors. Magic's longevity is a double-edged sword in this regard as well: Yeah it gives you brand identity, but it also marks you as a known commodity that people may see as outdated or uninteresting, *especially* if you're not releasing digital-only products and your product is weighed down by the paper game. I think you're making the mistake of thinking that WotC would just jump in now and start trying to grow with a better product, but the reality is they'd start working on their competitive product and jump in in two years, by which time I think the market will have become stagnant and overcrowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think the number one thing they can do is say at x date no set redemptions. Then do huge price changes and push the word that it now is way cheaper going forward.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Marketing New Brain posted:

They also aren't investing jumping in after Hearthstone, they existed in the marketplace about a decade ahead of them, it would be an investment in an already successful, revenue generating product. Now their choice to create a Magic MMO, on the other hand . . .
This is exactly what they're doing. That's what the new Arena app exactly is. The MMO is just licensing the IP to some rando, which has worked pretty well for Games Workshop.

Alaan posted:

I think the number one thing they can do is say at x date no set redemptions. Then do huge price changes and push the word that it now is way cheaper going forward.
They'd like to do this but I think they're beholden to the current secondary market.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is exactly what they're doing. That's what the new Arena app exactly is.

I mean, I'm not factoring in a product that so far all we know is an announcement about a future announcement.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is exactly what they're doing. That's what the new Arena app exactly is. The MMO is just licensing the IP to some rando, which has worked pretty well for Games Workshop.
They'd like to do this but I think they're beholden to the current secondary market.

They aren't beholden to anything and the businesses out there who livelihood is the loving mtgo secondary market are idiots.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
They should have reprinted Barl's Cage and Inferno in the wizards deck.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So after the first day of GP Birmingham, I now have a complete legacy deck.

Looking forward to jamming more chaos drafts tomorrow, but might get a Legacy event in as practice for competitive legacy at birmingham in May.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mehall posted:

So after the first day of GP Birmingham, I now have a complete legacy deck.

Looking forward to jamming more chaos drafts tomorrow, but might get a Legacy event in as practice for competitive legacy at birmingham in May.

I paid £15 to lose to death's shadow then bought some duals for my duel commander deck

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I paid £15 to lose to death's shadow then bought some duals for my duel commander deck

Im considering cashing my vaevictis asmadi deck into blue duals and a time vault for canadian highlander.
Can't remember when i last played EDH, and that deck is an immediate target with anyone i'd want to play with.

I'm hardly going to lose money on duals and vault unless the break the reserved list, and i'd never be happier to lose that kinda money than on them breaking the reserve list.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mehall posted:

I'm hardly going to lose money on duals and vault unless the break the reserved list, and i'd never be happier to lose that kinda money than on them breaking the reserve list.
Why's that? You imagine they're going to crash legacy values by 66% and the format opens up to a larger player base?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On cards like this is it saying it costs two blue mana to use cycling?

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Nah, the second blue mana symbol is just part of the reminder text

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EmmyOk posted:

No, it's just clarifying what cycling means.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

EmmyOk posted:

The italic text in brackets, which includes the second symbol, is what is known as reminder text, and spells out the ability in full rather than just the keyword. So this card only costs one blue mana to cycle, but the ability is repeated in full in the reminder text.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nope, the bit in parentheses is just letting you know what "Cycling U" means.

edit: beaten soundly.

Uh, so how about those Commander decks? Any other new cards that weren't previewed (probably not)?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

Nah the stuff in parentheses is just reminder text, "translating" the rest of it. So "Cycling U" means "pay 1 blue mana and discard this card to draw a card".

mehall posted:

Im considering cashing my vaevictis asmadi deck into blue duals and a time vault for canadian highlander.
Can't remember when i last played EDH, and that deck is an immediate target with anyone i'd want to play with.

I've been having similar thoughts about my Captain Sisay deck, except instead of spending it on Legacy it would be on Modern and I'd be way more likely to lose money over time there (not that I'm not wasting money just by having the cards anyway).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 11, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay neat! I have a black card with a cycling cost of 4 and thought it might actually be 8 which would be quite expensive! I appreciate everyone's answers and hope I'm not bothering the thread. I know I could google a lot of this but it's a much more pleasant and fun experience asking knowledgeable goons!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I think the stuff in the parentheses is just reminder text that doesn't affect how the card works. Hopefully 30 people don't post before me and say this exact thing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Anything in italics has no rules meaning. Mostly it's reminder text or flavour text but occasionally other things like revolt or landfall.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

EmmyOk posted:

Okay neat! I have a black card with a cycling cost of 4 and thought it might actually be 8 which would be quite expensive! I appreciate everyone's answers and hope I'm not bothering the thread. I know I could google a lot of this but it's a much more pleasant and fun experience asking knowledgeable goons!

don't worry we are starved for purpose in this thread, which is why you got like 10 replies all saying the same thing

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
I have a total loser novice simple question. On cards like Oashra Cultivator:

Is part of the ability cost to tap the card itself, right before you sacrifice it? I'm not sure what the purpose of that is other than making sure you have to wait at least a turn to sacrifice, right?

I humbly beg your forgiveness for such a question.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Jejoma posted:

Is part of the ability cost to tap the card itself, right before you sacrifice it? I'm not sure what the purpose of that is other than making sure you have to wait at least a turn to sacrifice, right?

It also means that anything that causes it to tap prevents the ability from being played. But, yeah, the main reason for the tapping cost is probably to slow it down.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

It also means that anything that causes it to tap prevents the ability from being played. But, yeah, the main reason for the tapping cost is probably to slow it down.

Oh I see, yes. Thank you.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jejoma posted:

That's generally correct: it gives your opponent a chance to murder it before your next turn (or otherwise deal with it), and lowers the power level of the card appreciably for that reason.

For instance, Magus of the Jar costs 3UU to cast, sac+tap to activate. Its ability is the same as that of Memory Jar, an utterly broken artifact that was banned almost immediately after players realized how disgustingly powerful it was; however, because artifacts can tap on the turn they enter play, delaying the ability by a turn, and attaching it to a vulnerable creature, means that the broken card is now balanced.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

GeneX posted:

That's generally correct: it gives your opponent a chance to murder it before your next turn (or otherwise deal with it), and lowers the power level of the card appreciably for that reason.

For instance, Magus of the Jar costs 3UU to cast, sac+tap to activate. Its ability is the same as that of Memory Jar, an utterly broken artifact that was banned almost immediately after players realized how disgustingly powerful it was; however, because artifacts can tap on the turn they enter play, delaying the ability by a turn, and attaching it to a vulnerable creature, means that the broken card is now balanced.

I'm just now digging into poo poo like this, so this is super helpful to know.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

EmmyOk posted:

Just to prove a point:

Decree of Pain, both without and with reminder text.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

man Decree of Pain's first art is so much better

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ZeroCount posted:

man Decree of Pain's first art is so much better

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

GeneX posted:

I looked up that card you mentioned and it's actually a great example of my next general question. I've been following the card reveals in this thread and sometimes people respond "oh that's a great card" and it just seems normal to me. Why is Memory Jar so OP? I guess it's good at momentarily screwing over an opponent if you think they have a good hand?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just to prove a point:

Decree of Pain, both without and with reminder text.

Oh neat, thanks!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Decree of Pain and Decree of Justice are the only two cards to be printed with and without reminder text. That's because very, very few cards have Cycling without the reminder text in the first place. In fact, nothing since the decrees in Scourge has ditched it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

EmmyOk posted:

I looked up that card you mentioned and it's actually a great example of my next general question. I've been following the card reveals in this thread and sometimes people respond "oh that's a great card" and it just seems normal to me. Why is Memory Jar so OP? I guess it's good at momentarily screwing over an opponent if you think they have a good hand?

Oh neat, thanks!

Memory Jar is good because you get a new hand when you want it (generally during your own turn, when you have all your mana available) and your opponent will only be able to play instants with the new hand he gets, so for the most part you get 7 new cards and get to play a bunch of them while your opponent gets to basically take the top 7 cards from his library and put them in the graveyard (after holding them for a little bit).

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

EmmyOk posted:

The decks that were breaking it could use all seven new cards that turn, generally.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There was a Megrim+Memory Jar deck with a iirc 60% win rate on turn 1, which contributed to the first emergency ban in Magic's history.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Drawing seven more cards is really powerful. If you have the leftover mana to get off a bunch of cards or play an expensive one, great. But even if you can't, it still gives you seven more chances of drawing a response when you need it.

Also, a deck with lots of cheap burn would be really nasty with that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abhorrence posted:

The decks that were breaking it could use all seven new cards that turn, generally.

and did 14 damage to the opponent through forcing them to discard 7 cards

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There was a Megrim+Memory Jar deck with a iirc 60% win rate on turn 1, which contributed to the first emergency ban in Magic's history.

This is the most hosed up deck I have ever seen

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

quote:

This is the most famous version of the deck. Piloted by Randy Buehler and Erik Lauer before the emergency bannings.

I guess this could be a legit reason to not like him if you were playing at the time.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

EmmyOk posted:

To understand why it's broken, you need to know the basic idea of the combo deck it was used in, and the decks it's used in now. That first combo deck revolved around 2 cards: Megrim and Memory Jar. Megrim is an enchantment that reads "whenever your opponent discards a card, they lose 2 life." You know Memory Jar.

The deck used a combination of tutors – cards that lets you search your deck for other, card and then put them in your hand – and fast mana – cards that give you more mana than you played to cast them, or give the same amount and can be untapped, or lands that give more than 1 mana when tapped – to make a ton of mana, cast memory jar, use it, and then use the new cards to find more memory jars. Once your opponent drew enough cards from jars, you just had to pass, and they died to the megrim triggers.

This basic idea – using an obscene amount of mana to draw a bunch of cards, then killing your opponent– was incredibly overpowered, and could win on the first turn with a good draw: in fact, multiple decks existed with similar premises, with different winconditions (like Stroke of Genius using a ton of mana, used to make your opponent draw their whole deck and die to drawing from an empty deck; that deck had Tolarian Academy, a hilariously broken card unto itself). Here's thread favorite SaffronOlive explaining the idea of that deck, if you can deal with his voice. It was part of "Combo Winter", an infamous series of a few months in 1998-1999 (I think) that ruined almost all competitive magic environments and got the R&D team screamed at by their boss.

It's currently (I think: the metagame might have changed) used in vintage (see the thread OP for more info on formats) storm decks, which use a combination of fast mana, tutors, and low cost draw spells to cast Tendrils of Agony – drain 2 life from your opponent. Storm. (Copy this card for each card cast before on this turn.) – after ten spells have been cast that turn.

In summary: it draws 7 cards for 5 mana, which is extremely powerful, and is played in decks where the downside of discarding your hand at end of turn is either a benefit (as with megrim) or not a big deal (because all the spells in your hand are cheap, meaning you just got to draw and use 7 cards with no downside)

Jen X fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 12, 2017

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

GeneX posted:

To understand why it's broken . . . it draws 7 cards for 5 mana

Yeah you can just do away with the rest of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

EmmyOk posted:

Oh neat, thanks!
Memory Jar makes each player exile their hand then draw seven cards, then discard those cards at the end step. There was also a card that made your opponent lose 2 life when they discarded a card. You just played Memory Jar, played a Megrim, and then probably drew more Memory Jars. Since those triggers stack up and you discard every card drawn off of Memory Jar, your opponent would take like 28 damage on Turn 1.

It's more complicated than that because a lot of exceptionally broken poo poo was legal around this time. Decks this broken aren't even legal in Vintage because Vintage as a format (while technically every Magic card is legal) has the sense to at least restrict you to 1 copy of the really broken stuff.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 12, 2017