Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mllaneza posted:

WW is going to be on digital and in theaters at the same time.

:stare:

Is that signifigant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

Is that signifigant?

Just probably rarer than the norm to have legs this long, especially for a comic book movie.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Drifter posted:

Just probably rarer than the norm to have legs this long, especially for a comic book movie.

*Joke about how long Wonder Woman's actual legs are*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Random thought, but I'm hoping they feature the Amazons more in the DCCU. One issue I've seen with Wonder Woman depictions is that Themiscyra is usually a place where she's from and rarely a place where anything else is from. (And stuff actually featuring the Amazons has been... mixed) Compare to how Superman's stories all like to involve stuff from Krypton, one way or another, with a dead world's survivors and wonders still impacting the universe.

There's definitely room for other Amazons that may follow Diana out into the world for whatever reasons. Good, bad, or happening to be the only hetereosexual Amazon (even if the Kinsey scale leans them towards bisexuality, there's gotta be at least one) and destined for Shenanigans. Also other magical stuff. Given comic book movies like to condense and add origin ties, what magical/mythological villains and/or heroes could be connected to it?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The JL movie is going to feature them and Themyscria in flashbacks.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Mr. Apollo posted:

Nice. I was at a party on the weekend and several people said they just saw it for the first time. It's still going strong after 10 weeks (I think) in theatres.

Also:

https://twitter.com/galgadot/status/895711384679227393

This will likely be the first and only movie I ever buy on iTunes.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The JL movie is going to feature them and Themyscria in flashbacks.

I hope Robin Wright is somewhat prominent in JL. Connie Nielsen is very visible in the trailers, but I didn't see Robin Wright at all, and she's definitely in it.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 11, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What are the odds that "The One True Wonder Woman"/Diana's Black Sister/Nubia/Nu'Bia gets resurrected and brought into the movies if Black Panther does well in box offices?

Because she was a badass character in the comics and destroying her in Crisis on Infinite Earths was dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What are the odds that "The One True Wonder Woman"/Diana's Black Sister/Nubia/Nu'Bia gets resurrected and brought into the movies if Black Panther does well in box offices?

Because she was a badass character in the comics and destroying her in Crisis on Infinite Earths was dumb.

I thought there was a character in WW strongly implied if not stated to be her but I'm not sure.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If you're thinking of the big strong Amazon knocking other Amazons around, that was credited as Artemis, played by boxer Ann Wolfe. Though it's probably way more likely for her to get a bigger role than for them to bring up Nu'bia out of the blue.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

I thought there was a character in WW strongly implied if not stated to be her but I'm not sure.

BrianWilly posted:

If you're thinking of the big strong Amazon knocking other Amazons around, that was credited as Artemis, played by boxer Ann Wolfe. Though it's probably way more likely for her to get a bigger role than for them to bring up Nu'bia out of the blue.

You're both right. In addition to Artemis, Niobe is present and mentioned by name, played by Jacqui-Lee Pryce. It made me wonder if they were going to have her basically be Nubia in the sequels because Niobe's namesake is an actual figure from Greek mythology like all of the other major players in Wonder Woman's island/family rather than a region like Nubia.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Who was the Amazon that came rushing over to Antiope's side after she was shot? She was featured in some of the movie posters and I expected her to have had a bigger role. Maybe her scenes were cut.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Wife or lover probably.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I figured that. I was wondering if anyone knew what Amazon she played and if she was a known or significant figure.

You can see her on the left in the poster below. I just thought it was odd to feature her on a poster if she only has a few seconds of screen time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want to say that that's Caitlin Burns, but she's only billed as "Queen's Guard" so I don't think she was meant to be anyone major.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

After a bit of Googling, it seems that she is "Lieutenant Menalippe". She is the sister of Hippolyta and Antiope. That also makes her Diana's aunt and explains her reaction after Antiope is shot. In the comics she is the chief priestess. In the movie she is played by Lisa Loven Kongsli.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So the WW blu features an extra "epilogue" scene
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/13/wonder-woman-home-video-release-will-feature-epilogue-new-footage/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Who is Etta Candy? The secretary who carries WW's sword and poo poo for a brief spell while shopping for clothes?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
She guarded that with her life.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drifter posted:

Who is Etta Candy? The secretary who carries WW's sword and poo poo for a brief spell while shopping for clothes?

That's right. She's also well-connected in the British intelligence apparatus.

I liked her character in the movie so I'm glad she's getting another scene. I'd rather they did... something about act 3, but that ship probably sailed when they closed production.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Etta's Mission :neckbeard:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They really toned down Etta's character in the movie. In the old comics she was always beating the poo poo out of people:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Since WW and Etta are best friends in the comics, I wonder how they'll handle Etta in the sequel. Assuming it's set in modern-ish times she'd be like 90+ years old. I wonder if we'll get Etta's granddaughter working with WW or maybe they'll just disregard that aspect of her.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Since WW and Etta are best friends in the comics, I wonder how they'll handle Etta in the sequel. Assuming it's set in modern-ish times she'd be like 90+ years old. I wonder if we'll get Etta's granddaughter working with WW or maybe they'll just disregard that aspect of her.
It turns out Etta is also a demigod.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They really toned down Etta's character in the movie. In the old comics she was always beating the poo poo out of people:

The original Etta Candy kicks so much rear end. She's about the closest any character gets to matching Wonder Woman, and it's entirely because of her untempered feminine hedonism.

Her origin story is that after she had her appendix removed, she was told she could eat anything she wanted. She took that as a philosophy.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

working for Ra's al Ghul has its perks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

working for Ra's al Ghul has its perks.

Now that Wonder Woman is in the movies and straight up magic weapons/etc. are a thing, I know it's a different version of the franchise but it'd be sick if they out of nowhere brought Liam Neeson back.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Needs to be Liam Neeson as a very mundane, non-magical Ra's and then the twist reveal is that he's just a decoy for the actual, full-on comic book robed scimitar wizard Ra's Al Ghul.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Played by Ken Watanabe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Needs to be Liam Neeson as a very mundane, non-magical Ra's and then the twist reveal is that he's just a decoy for the actual, full-on comic book robed scimitar wizard Ra's Al Ghul.

Who is also played by Liam Neeson. Let's not pull another Marvel Mandarin. That's probably only good the one time.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Drifter posted:

Who is also played by Liam Neeson. Let's not pull another Marvel Mandarin. That's probably only good the one time.
And we find out that his mother's name is Martha

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that Wonder Woman is in the movies and straight up magic weapons/etc. are a thing, I know it's a different version of the franchise but it'd be sick if they out of nowhere brought Liam Neeson back.

Why do you think they're going with Flashpoint for the solo Flash movie? :getin:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

Why do you think they're going with Flashpoint for the solo Flash movie? :getin:

This would only be good if they use Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Nightwing and/or or Jena Malone as Robin.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

She'll be dead from diabetes. WW will visit her grave and make a speech about how the true evil is sugar.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

How accurate are the MTV Teen Choice Awards in predicting Oscar nominees/winners?

quote:

Bold indicates winner

Choice action movie:
“Fate of the Furious”
“Logan”
“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”
“Transformers: The Last Knight”
"Wonder Woman”
“xXx: Return of Xander Cage”

Choice action movie actor:
Johnny Depp – “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”
Vin Diesel – “Fate of the Furious” and “xXx: Return of Xander Cage”
Hugh Jackman – “Logan”
Dwayne Johnson – “Fate of the Furious”
Chris Pine – “Wonder Woman”
Brenton Thwaites – “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”

Choice action movie actress:
Nina Dobrev – “xXx: Return of Xander Cage”
Gal Gadot – “Wonder Woman”
Deepika Padukone – “xXx: Return of Xander Cage”
Michelle Rodriguez – “Fate of the Furious”
Ruby Rose – “xXx: Return of Xander Cage”
Kaya Scodelario – “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
judging by the number of XXX XANDER loving CAGE noms there are, 0%

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mr. Apollo posted:

How accurate are the MTV Teen Choice Awards in predicting Oscar nominees/winners?

I mean, how do you rate the chances for the other movies listed?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wasn't being serious. :cheeky:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm submitting this post for "Best Jaw Dropping Moment" (formerly "WTF Moment")

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Haha I was mostly shocked by the number of xxx noms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Suicide Squad won two Oscars.