Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ugh. I never understood why so much of V's background War music was SAD, rather than triumphant or exciting. It had plenty of music for an orphan's funeral or an old soldier's descent into madness, like that horrendous UUUURRuuurrrUURRRRR discord thing, but scarcely a single track for a glorious cavalry charge or a heroic defence against an invader.
(Can't fault the faction tracks though, some of them are incredible. I often start diplo with Indonesia or Mongolia solely for the chance of triggering their music...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tree Bucket posted:

Ugh. I never understood why so much of V's background War music was SAD, rather than triumphant or exciting.

polynesia's war theme plays when you win the game and it's a war chant with slack key guitar it's so bad lol

i'm really disappointed that they went to the trouble of contacting one of the premiers in hawaiian language today but then stopped short of going to a musicologist to learn about western-style pieces composed in/for the republic of hawaii during the industrial era

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 11, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Attila, Elizabeth, Catherine, Pocatello, Dido, and (humorously enough) Gandhi all have really awesome War theme music in Civ 5

e: Gustavus Adolphus Peace is the best track in that whole game though

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't know which of Brazil's V themes it was; but one of them sounded like a tropical James Bond them and it was cool as hell.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's the war theme, it's a lot of fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm the only one that maintains a custom Best Of Civ playlist and plays it in winamp with the in-game music off, then?

People still use Winamp?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

chaosapiant posted:

People still use Winamp?

It really whips the llama's rear end

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

People still use Winamp?

Awesomeand old people do :colbert:

I dunno man, it's lightweight and unobtrusive and plays music on my computer machine, I never felt the need to join the 21st century :shrug:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm the only one that maintains a custom Best Of Civ playlist and plays it in winamp with the in-game music off, then?
morgan_industries_10_hour_mix.wav

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Awesomeand old people do :colbert:

I dunno man, it's lightweight and unobtrusive and plays music on my computer machine, I never felt the need to join the 21st century :shrug:

You're negative culture growth fyi

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

chaosapiant posted:

People still use Winamp?

Is there a deficiency of winamp I'm not aware of?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Didn't it just become super bloated at some point and most people transitioned to either foobar or streaming services?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is there a deficiency of winamp I'm not aware of?

I'm sure it's fine, just haven't heard it mentioned in IT circles since I was using it in the 90s.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I vaguely recall a downward spiral after acquisition by AOL, noted leader in the field.

Looking up some details, I'm surprised it's still around...
"November 20, 2013, AOL announced that Winamp.com would shut down on December 20, 2013"
"and on January 14, 2014, it was officially announced that Belgian online radio aggregator Radionomy had bought the Nullsoft brand, which includes Winamp and SHOUTcast"

Yeah, an official death announcement would do it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder how many tracks there actually are in the game, it feels like just one tune for each country and the main menu music.

Leinadi posted:

What?! Hearing "Kalinka" in the game is like the best thing about it.
The first 500 times...

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Goons are complaining about the masterpiece that is the Civ6 soundtrack? Jesus Lord Allmighty end me already.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

I wonder how many tracks there actually are in the game, it feels like just one tune for each country and the main menu music.

A whole bunch, but each civilization has its own theme/melody and the orchestration gets grander/different as you progress through the different ages.

I think it's really neat and lends a lot of good immersion.... If it wasn't for the aforementioned thing where it prioritizes playing your neighbour's music instead, completely destroying the entire point :shepface:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The orchestration may change but it's still the same bloody tune repeating ad nauseam. :(

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think it cycles through your music and then your neighbours' so you don't get tired of hearing your own on repeat non-stop. But then you meet new people and your own theme gets bumped even further down the list.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
On a somewhat related note, is there any way to shut off the Sean Bean voiceover on the leader/civ special ability page before the game proper starts?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ibntumart posted:

On a somewhat related note, is there any way to shut off the Sean Bean voiceover on the leader/civ special ability page before the game proper starts?

Turn off voices entirely.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I just went through Youtube and checked all Civ musics throughout the time. Baba Yetu remains the totally dominant champion. That, and the rotation earth, just makes for a really loving awesome opening scene.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Civ VI's main theme is significantly better than Baba Yetu.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I enjoy all Civ's music from IV onwards equally. :colbert:

But I do hold a special place for the soundtracks of the spin offs. Civ IV Colonization had a very nice selection and Beyond Earth's is what made me go back to that game for some time.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Mymla posted:

Civ VI's main theme is significantly better than Baba Yetu.

hmm... incorrect

it's better than the civ v or civ iv expansion themes though

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Aerdan posted:

Turn off voices entirely.

:doh: I forgot that was an option. Thanks!

On another note, I started up a 4 person PYDT game. The super secret cool password is levrealness.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Raserys posted:

hmm... incorrect

it's better than the civ v or civ iv expansion themes though

I'll say it's...close to Baba Yetu. I will agree it is a vast improvement over every theme between it and Baba Yetu.

And yeah, the music is amazing...but it really does annoy me that it really feels that it prioritizes your neighbor's music far heavier than yours.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey is there a purpose...like at all....for building holy sites and going for religion? In the latest game I'm playing I went for a faith purchasing strategy and I'm currently generating around 200 faith per turn in the medieval era... Which is nice, but it still feels underwhelming and that I should have built another district in the holy sites stead

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Madmarker posted:

Hey is there a purpose...like at all....for building holy sites and going for religion? In the latest game I'm playing I went for a faith purchasing strategy and I'm currently generating around 200 faith per turn in the medieval era... Which is nice, but it still feels underwhelming and that I should have built another district in the holy sites stead

If you don't get a religion, holy sites and faith become mostly useless. You can buy a naturalist with faith(and only faith) to set up a national park, or you can buy a great person for 1000000000 faith.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Being able to produce martyrs (and therefore relics) is useful for culture victories. Having one holy site is good, because if you don't build one, you will kick yourself if you end up with Hildegard of Bingen as a great scientist. Religious buildings allow you to shore up city site weaknesses or accentuate strong points.

Basically, religions provide bonuses that are useful the whole game, but you have to invest at an early point when it is incredibly costly (which you already noticed). Or, you can wait and have another religion come in later for free, but then you have no control over what bonuses they bring.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

To be fair you DO hear your civ's music at least when you advance to the next age or something. But honestly I got sick of Australia's music when I was playing its scenario oh my God. It's like 4 variations of the same song on repeat.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

It's like 4 variations of the same song on repeat.

But enough about the Civ 6 soundtrack

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having your own religion is pretty neat. But you have to deal with endless hordes of unwashed missionaries and apostles and the only way to stop them is to either block bottlenecks or just declare war and kill them. In theory there is the option to ask the AI to stop but it:
1. Requires a city to flip religion.
2. They will likely just tell you no.
3. The AI will just ignore it even if they promise to and there are no consequences for it whatsoever. Warmonger! Warmonger! Warmonger!

Eric the Mauve posted:

But enough about the Civ 6 soundtrack
:iceburn:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ok, im out of goon game two, have fun guys but this poo poo is lame as hell

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Having a religion is neat, but imo it's not even close to worth the effort.
It's one of many things that make Kongo one of the best civs, if not the best civ.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Efexeye posted:

Civilization is a bad game to play by email. It's too long and not enough happens in a given turn.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gort posted:

Civilization is a bad game to play by email.

it's also bad to play MP live, and SP is bad too

oh well, it's only been my favorite series since 1994

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Efexeye posted:

it's also bad to play MP live, and SP is bad too

oh well, it's only been my favorite series since 1994

Entire thread is babies

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Efexeye posted:

The only way I'd play a game with 17 days between turns was if you paid me. That is lame as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

Entire thread is babies

i didn't play civ 1 until 2000, on a super nintendo