Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't have any deep insights to share about this episode, only that the sickbay scene where they howl is the most aggravating scene in all of TNG and it goes on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bull3964 posted:

As far as pacing, another thing to consider is that hour long shows were almost 10 minutes longer back then than they are now.

Yeah even the better episodes tend to be 35 minutes of story crammed into a mere 50 minutes of runtime.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

To me, Jono is always going to be Dr. Quinn's son...just like Dr. Timicin will always be Charles Emerson Winchester III.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't have any deep insights to share about this episode, only that the sickbay scene where they howl is the most aggravating scene in all of TNG and it goes on forever.

Well it's a relief that I've crested that hill.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

To me, Jono is always going to be Dr. Quinn's son

To me he's always what's-his-face with Wilford Brimley for a grandfather on that show from the 80s whose name I can't quite recall.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On Youtube just saw this pop up randomly, a really well done 4k version of the Voyager intro.

Say what you will of the shitheap the series became, the intro still beautifully gets across the idea of a small ship all alone far from home.

edit: whoops, link included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sns1Xj6L-Qc

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 12, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm trying to remember the score for the Voyager intro in my mind but it keeps getting drowned out by the theme from DS9

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had the soundtrack for the Voyager pilot on cassette. :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm trying to remember the score for the Voyager intro in my mind but it keeps getting drowned out by the theme from DS9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ccYZTONpic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp0T6zYByM

They both start out with timpani and French horn before transitioning into a trumpet fanfare with strings playing harmony. They're really similar.

Also Voyager didn't bother to have its own font, or its own uniforms, despite being on a different network than DS9 and running concurrently.

They even both have major scale issues, since Voyager has a gas giant that is nine kilometers wide if you examine the perspective on the ship's reflection in the rings, and DS9 has a Nebula docked to an upper pylon that fits comfortably but should take up like 2/3 of the space between upper pylons.

Okay I guess the font was different, Voyager doubled down and made DS9's weird font even weirder by narrowing the lines.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 12, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

On Youtube just saw this pop up randomly, a really well done 4k version of the Voyager intro.

Say what you will of the shitheap the series became, the intro still beautifully gets across the idea of a small ship all alone far from home.

Well, if you assume the gas giant is scaled to Saturn, Voyager is 4,400 kilometers long so it's not that small after all.

Huh, looking for the length and beam of the Nebula class I noticed it has no impulse exhaust port. At least not a visible one.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 12, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Strange, new worlds. I don't understand the whole "planet small" complaint. There is already so much :techno: in Trek to explain that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh, looking for the length and beam of the Nebula class I noticed it has no impulse exhaust port. At least not a visible one.

It has "stealth" impulse engines aka the designer forgot them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Strange, new worlds. I don't understand the whole "planet small" complaint. There is already so much :techno: in Trek to explain that.

So like the gravitational constant of the universe is just a little higher over there.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's the Delta Quadrant. Things are different there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Arglebargle III posted:

So like the gravitational constant of the universe is just a little higher over there.

Maybe that scene was set in fluidic space

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe that scene was set in fluidic space

Fluidic space is the dumbest star trek thing ever. How are ships not crushed by infinite pressure?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

They both start out with timpani and French horn before transitioning into a trumpet fanfare with strings playing harmony. They're really similar.

Also Voyager didn't bother to have its own font, or its own uniforms, despite being on a different network than DS9 and running concurrently.

They even both have major scale issues, since Voyager has a gas giant that is nine kilometers wide if you examine the perspective on the ship's reflection in the rings, and DS9 has a Nebula docked to an upper pylon that fits comfortably but should take up like 2/3 of the space between upper pylons.

Okay I guess the font was different, Voyager doubled down and made DS9's weird font even weirder by narrowing the lines.

Honestly if Voyager randomly had it's own special uniforms for no reason it would have been another mark against the show. I'm pretty sure Voyager was the reason why everybody switched to the new angular commbadges though.

Don't talk poo poo about the TMP title font, it's classy and from space at the same time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah maybe. There's gravimetric interference from a particularly unstable subspace domain emanating from an inverse graviton cosmic string at the center of a white home in the mirror universe.

I mean, come on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Senor Tron posted:

Voyager's intro is so good it almost tricks me into wanting to watch the show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Senor Tron posted:

Jamie and Adam did prove you can polish a turd.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop posted:

Yeah maybe. There's gravimetric interference from a particularly unstable subspace domain emanating from an inverse graviton cosmic string at the center of a white home in the mirror universe.

I mean, come on.

Please show your work on how the chronitons play into this. Also how we can refit the deflector dish to deal with it during the ad break

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Jamie and Adam did prove you can polish a turd.

Only because they hosed up the idiom, which isn't "You can't polish a turd," but rather "You can polish a turd, but it'll still smell like poo poo."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grand Fromage posted:

Voyager's intro is so good it almost tricks me into wanting to watch the show.

It's the one thing Voyager has over DS9. DS9's intro is pretty meh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As you watch that 4k intro, just remember that every other country is likely going to get to watch Discovery in 4k from a streaming service that actually knows about content delivery while we get to watch low bitrate 720p.

:suicide:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

As you watch that 4k intro, just remember that every other country is likely going to get to watch Discovery in 4k from a streaming service that actually knows about content delivery while we get to watch low bitrate 720p.

:suicide:

You're going to watch it on CBS?

Is our law so hosed up that like accessing a good streaming service over a VPN is illegal or something?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Bloop posted:

I mean, come on.
There's coffee in that planet!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What if the fluid in fluidic space had been coffee? Would Janeway have been more or less determined to fight Species 8419?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

This explains some of why I saw all the post-TNG Star Treks as the same show.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Probably going to watch Remember Me sometime early today, but the title unironically triggers me a little.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

On second thought I'll wait til a primer time to do it since it's supposed to be one of the must-watch episodes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

Is our law so hosed up that like accessing a good streaming service over a VPN is illegal or something?

It isn't illegal but Netflix is real good at stopping people on VPNs from watching

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pakled posted:

It's the one thing Voyager has over DS9. DS9's intro is pretty meh.

Well, Voyager's theme is pretty unimpeachable, considering Jerry loving Goldsmith composed it.

I prefer the earlier version of the DS9 theme to the more up-tempo version used in later seasons. That solo horn was just perfect as a representation of a space station on the frontier, all alone in the night.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

On second thought I'll wait til a primer time to do it since it's supposed to be one of the must-watch episodes.

It's okay. It's like, a filler episode from the good run of TNG.

The darkness of space represents DS9 running in syndication at 4AM.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cheetah7071 posted:

It isn't illegal but Netflix is real good at stopping people on VPNs from watching

Read this as Neelix and I thought "what a jerk"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not. As in, not at all (well, the pilot episode that airs on TV.)

As I said before. Fuckem. I'm not subscribing to that lovely service to watch Star Trek. I'm a dyed in the wool lifelong star trek fan, but I'm not going to be paying for CBS All-Access.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Arglebargle III posted:

It's okay. It's like, a filler episode from the good run of TNG.

I'd rank it in the top 10% of TNG episodes, personally. Maybe I just exaggerate it in my mind because it's Beverly's best episode.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
She only has what, three episodes total? Maybe four or five? Being the best one isn't a high bar to clear.

e: I'm not disparaging the episode, it's real good. Just that its competition includes Scottish sex ghosts and not much else

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Must-watch is a little strong. It's not bad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

It has "stealth" impulse engines aka the designer forgot them.

The impulse engines are on the warp nacelle pylons.

e- they aren't very prominent but can be made out in diagram:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McSpanky posted:

The impulse engines are on the warp nacelle pylons.

e- they aren't very prominent but can be made out in diagram:

That's not a nebula class :spergin: