Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Enigma posted:

a foolish pianist, I would love to know more about getting into fixed-line fly, including things like budget. I am planning a trip to North Carolina and want to do a little trout fishing, which I have never really done before. Those look like rods that travel really well, which is great because I'd pay more in baggage fees than my rods are worth just to bring any of my own gear.

You can get a nice kit for small NC streams for about $160 - tenkarabum.com has nice starter kits with japanese rods for about that price, or tenkararodco.com for American-built rods (I like the Owyhee and the Sierra from them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Enigma posted:

South Florida
Snapper
Anything dead

I use palomar for braid -> terminal tackle. Do you guys use it for mono or flouro?

San Diego Jam Knot is my go-to for mono. I like it because tension on the line only tightens the knot, and it works perfectly with low test and high test (and even used it with rope before).

I normally use double uni as my line-to-line knot, but giving FG a try now.

a foolish pianist, I would love to know more about getting into fixed-line fly, including things like budget. I am planning a trip to North Carolina and want to do a little trout fishing, which I have never really done before. Those look like rods that travel really well, which is great because I'd pay more in baggage fees than my rods are worth just to bring any of my own gear.

I tried the FG knot, it was pretty cool, but it was a pain in the butt to tie compared to the alberto knot. I bought a tenkara pole a lil while back, I spent like ~$100 on the kit and it's pretty neat. I used it a bit when I went up to the Stanislaus River last month, but the water was pretty crazy and I just went back to salmon eggs.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tampa Bay
Snook/Red Drum
I have to admit I don't use lures. Pretty much live shrimp or greenbacks always.

I've tried switching to lures a few times as I have a few I bring with me but I get impatient and switch back quickly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
North Florida
Ponds, Lakes, and Estuaries, and the edibles that live within
Artificials, with a preference for spinnerbaits, spoons and topwater jigs, but anything pretty.

Nothing's better then rigging a light little spinnerbait with a J hook and a suitable colored crapie tube on it and pulling in the bluegills and bass. I'll usually have a rod with weights and bottom bait for cats.

Ask me about LMB chowder!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Kentucky!

Trout, panfish, bass, shiners.

I've gotten into tenkara the last year or so, and love the poo poo out of it. Right now I've got a Suntech Kurenai HM30r, Kurenai HM33r, Nissin Zerosum 400 6:4, Daiiwa Kiyose 36SF, Tanuki 275 Appalachian Brookie, Tanuki 375, Tanuki 425, and a Nissin Air Stage Hakubai 390, and a Badger WISCO2. The Kurenai's and the Zerosum are my favorites.

I had a Tenryu TF39TA, but it really wasn't super suited to the kind of fishing I do, so I traded it for the Tanuki 425 and the Zerosum.

How do you like that Kurenai long? I've got an HM30 and a HM33, been wanting either a 39 or one of the longs.

Enigma posted:

Also take a look at Badger Tenkara for some really nice rods on the cheaper end. They cast well, are pretty tough, and have a warranty against breakage. Most of my rods have come from https://www.tenkarabum.com.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

How do you like that Kurenai long? I've got an HM30 and a HM33, been wanting either a 39 or one of the longs.

I've only taken it out twice, but I really like it. It's just preposterously light for 20' rod. It casts level line nicely, and it's not so stiff that a smaller bass or panfish won't put a nice bend in it.

Are the Tanuki rods as nice as they look? I've been tempted, but I feel like I already have enough rods for a while.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 8, 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I've been wanting to get into fishing for a while, so some friends invited me to go shark fishing in Delaware this weekend. We caught 2 over the course of ~4 hours, both were sandbar sharks about 3 or 4 feet long. This one I held down while my buddy took the hook out of it's mouth, and the other one I reeled in. Pretty great experience overall! Now I gotta go out and buy my own equipment, and try some freshwater fishing.

Sorry for the photo quality, it was dark and you're not supposed to take them out of the water.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Thanks for the Tenkara links. Definitely something I will look into, including what exactly Tenkara is and what sorts of lures to use, because in my head it looks like fishing with a telescoping cane pole.

As for FG knot, it's not too bad, since I usually tie leaders and terminal tackle at home before a trip. Takes this guy less than a minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G0FO7Iy-60&t=78s

I like it because I often use a long leader and, being a low-profile wrap knot, it plays more nicely with rod guides. That said, if I'm on a boat and need to retie a leader, I'm more likely to fall back on a double uni.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Enigma posted:

Thanks for the Tenkara links. Definitely something I will look into, including what exactly Tenkara is and what sorts of lures to use, because in my head it looks like fishing with a telescoping cane pole.

That's kinda what it is, except you're casting very light tied flies. I tied these up before a trip to the UP a couple of months ago:

You'll have about a rod-length of furled or level line, then a couple of feet of lighter tippet, then your fly.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

a foolish pianist posted:

I've only taken it out twice, but I really like it. It's just preposterously light for 20' rod. It casts level line nicely, and it's not so stiff that a smaller bass or panfish won't put a nice bend in it.

Are the Tanuki rods as nice as they look? I've been tempted, but I feel like I already have enough rods for a while.

Motherfucker. Had a huge post about it written up and stupid phone posting lost it when I went to get some pic links. Goddammit.

I really like the Tanuki rods. They're sensitive, light, and have a lot of backbone in the lower sections. I've caught 16" trout in fast water on the tiny little 275, and had no problem detecting tiny little fingerlings on the 425. They're very well designed and crafted rods, balanced well and designed so that you don't overpower small fish, but have increasing strength as the rod flexes to handle big fish easily and smoothly.

I think for the money, a Zerosum 7:3 would be a better value, but not by much. At any given length, I think the Tanuki would handle bigger fish, but the Zerosum is just an amazing rod.

Here's one of the little guys I caught on the 425 this weekend.

And my first brookie!

I think the biggest difference in tenkara and cane poles is the ability to cast smoothly and accurately with light flies. Cane poles just kinda flop a line out

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 8, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

For anyone on the fence about senkos or other plastics I caught 5 bass in roughly an hour, hour and a half of fishing on them the last two days and you KNOW from my posting that I'm only a mediocre fisherman.

They will work if you want to give em a shot.

Now I'm tying on a treble hook and gonna give carp a go. If I don't come back, erase my browser history.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Motherfucker. Had a huge post about it written up and stupid phone posting lost it when I went to get some pic links. Goddammit.

I really like the Tanuki rods. They're sensitive, light, and have a lot of backbone in the lower sections. I've caught 16" trout in fast water on the tiny little 275, and had no problem detecting tiny little fingerlings on the 425. They're very well designed and crafted rods, balanced well and designed so that you don't overpower small fish, but have increasing strength as the rod flexes to handle big fish easily and smoothly.

I think for the money, a Zerosum 7:3 would be a better value, but not by much. At any given length, I think the Tanuki would handle bigger fish, but the Zerosum is just an amazing rod.

That's a hell of a collection. Why didn't the Tenryu work out? I've just read about those, but they look beautiful.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

That's a hell of a collection. Why didn't the Tenryu work out? I've just read about those, but they look beautiful.

Thanks! It's a much cheaper hobby than guns, so the wife's okay with it.

It was a really nice rod, and cast beautifully with unweighted flies. Unfortunately, most of the fishing I do is with weighted nymphs or bead head soft hackles/kebari. It was just too soft for effective nymphing. When you tried to set a hook under several feet of water, it just didn't have the stiffness to set quick. It's honestly a very strong rod, but it flexes to drat near the handle. If you're fishing a lot of real tenkara water, high mountain/plunge pool type water where the current is pulling your flies down instead of weight, then it's just fantastic. Almost no rebound, balanced perfectly at all 3 lengths, and beautiful. It just wasn't suited to 90% of the fishing I do.

My next rod will likely be the slightly stiffer Zerosum 360 7:3. It'll handle a bit wider range of fly weights than the 6:4, but it's not nearly as stiff as most 7:3 rods out there. That or a TenBum 36.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

How's the fishing over there? Also, in addition to my previous question of where you guys are fishing from, I'd like to ask what your favorite lures are and what your favorite species to catch is. You know, A/S/L. Area/Species/Lure.

Melbourne, Australia

Gummy sharks, flathead, king george whiting, squid, snapper

anything dead but squid especially, otherwise my little Berkley flicker shad works wonders despite looking nothing like anything that lives in my area. Gulp Nemesis plastics in nuclear chicken are also pretty good

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

For anyone on the fence about senkos or other plastics I caught 5 bass in roughly an hour, hour and a half of fishing on them the last two days and you KNOW from my posting that I'm only a mediocre fisherman.

They will work if you want to give em a shot.

Now I'm tying on a treble hook and gonna give carp a go. If I don't come back, erase my browser history.

Gotta get that cheap cheap white bread, and if chumming is legal where you fish then chum chum chum chum chum it up!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

Gotta get that cheap cheap white bread, and if chumming is legal where you fish then chum chum chum chum chum it up!

I got some of those flavored dough balls and threw 2 clear across the pond before I gave up. Looks like I need to drop them off the edge of the canoe.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

joem83 posted:

How's the fishing over there? Also, in addition to my previous question of where you guys are fishing from, I'd like to ask what your favorite lures are and what your favorite species to catch is. You know, A/S/L. Area/Species/Lure.

A: Southern Manitoba
S: Catfish and jack fish lately
L: Pickerel rigs (high/low) and spoons

My wife and I typically fish from the shore with pickerel rigs and various bait. Catfish love shrimp from a shrimp ring or leftover chicken. Jack fish bite often on a spoon trolled behind a boat. The yellow one with five diamonds on it is our luckiest.

I haven't caught a pickerel on a pickerel rig in years, doesn't seem to matter the bait. I hear minnows and night crawlers are best but we've tried with no luck and end up going to catfish. They put up a great fight and get massive but they are UGLY.

Here's some pics from the weekend:

Both cats were caught from a dock just outside of Winnipeg. Small guys but lots of fun.

Jack fish from St Malo Lake

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

sirr0bin posted:

A: Southern Manitoba
S: Catfish and jack fish lately
L: Pickerel rigs (high/low) and spoons

My wife and I typically fish from the shore with pickerel rigs and various bait. Catfish love shrimp from a shrimp ring or leftover chicken. Jack fish bite often on a spoon trolled behind a boat. The yellow one with five diamonds on it is our luckiest.

I haven't caught a pickerel on a pickerel rig in years, doesn't seem to matter the bait. I hear minnows and night crawlers are best but we've tried with no luck and end up going to catfish. They put up a great fight and get massive but they are UGLY.

Here's some pics from the weekend:

Both cats were caught from a dock just outside of Winnipeg. Small guys but lots of fun.

Jack fish from St Malo Lake

Catfish are also delicious. That jack fish looks like he has some TEEF.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The first time I caught one (we call them pike down here), it bit the poo poo out of me when I went to unhook it. I bled like crazy from dozens of tiny punctures on my hands.

In its defense, I had just pulled it out of its home by its face.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jack fish isn't a pickerel?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Oh, maybe I got my Canadian moonspeak wrong.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

LingcodKilla posted:

Jack fish isn't a pickerel?

Pickerel is a walleye and a jack fish is a pike. Crazy Americans and their weird fish names.

I have a really long pair of needle nose pliers I use for hook removal, great on the jacks because they LOVE to bite!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I hope all of Canada burns to the ground.

Keep fish names standard!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LingcodKilla posted:

I hope all of Canada burns to the ground.

We're working on it!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The first time I caught one (we call them pike down here), it bit the poo poo out of me when I went to unhook it. I bled like crazy from dozens of tiny punctures on my hands.

In its defense, I had just pulled it out of its home by its face.

I made a big mistake and tried to lip him. It was the first time my wife went fishing with me and she lost her mind when I got him landed. I looked right into his razor-filled mouth and stuck my thumb in there. I was already bleeding at this point, she snapped a pic as I was walking over to release him.

This is right after I got myself bandaged up. I used the inside of my short's pocket to compress the wounds while we walked back, it was totally soaked in blood.

All the blood came out, cold fizzy water and woolite, synthetic fabrics are magic.

EDIT:

My first big pickerel, caught on my kayak in like ~32f weather, we had to push through an ice skim to get into some of the smaller coves. I was in no way ready to deal with him.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 12, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

We're working on it!

If it's your first time posting in Post a fish!, you gotta post a fish.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was exploring a new spot on the San Diego river today during my lunch break and I saw a homeless man resting in the shade under a tree next to the river, warming up a can of beans over a tiny fire made of twigs. It was quite beautiful, Norman Rockwell probably woulda painted it or something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Picnic Princess posted:

We're working on it!

Yeah we've had horrible air for weeks now because of you guys.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bongwizzard posted:

If it's your first time posting in Post a fish!, you gotta post a fish.

Here I am with a fish. I didn't catch it though.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Picnic Princess posted:

Did you try at least?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

Did you try at least?

I just measured my screen and that fish is like 6 inches tops. I mean, this is post a fish, not post a guppy.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Are children small, or just far away?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Are children small, or just far away?

We tackle the big questions here in Post a Fish!.

Picnic Princess posted:

This does count.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Hurry up and come home from work, wife. I'm ready to go catch a fish so I can post a fish!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Hurry up and come home from work, wife. I'm ready to go catch a fish so I can post a fish!

Picture is breaking my brain, which lure is tied on to which reel?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Picture is breaking my brain, which lure is tied on to which reel?

I'm triggered because he's using an EWG for a senko THERE'S A REASON THEY HAVE ROUND BEND HOOKS YOU MONSTER

(for real though your hookup ratio will be a lot better with roundbound)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

(for real though your hookup ratio will be a lot better with roundbound)

he's married

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

he's married

...doesn't everyone get a once a month hallpass? I mean I just assumed and didn't bother my GF with it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Trip report: one bite on the frog, none on the heinously rigged senko! Nor the fluke, or the jig. Womp womp.

*begins to cast a healing spell upon your brain* The Senko was tied on to the green rod (Lew's Mach II). Love that rod/reel combo, wasn't too expensive either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

Trip report: one bite on the frog, none on the heinously rigged senko! Nor the fluke, or the jig. Womp womp.

*begins to cast a healing spell upon your brain* The Senko was tied on to the green rod (Lew's Mach II). Love that rod/reel combo, wasn't too expensive either.

Very nice. I want to try a frog but I very rarely see anything bigger than like 2 lbs here. Most seems to be in the 1-2 lb range and some of those seem like it's a bit of an effort to eat a senko.