Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

How's her acting in it? I love Biel and will watch anything she's in, but I would never pretend she's a very good actress.

Been a while since she's done much, though, so maybe she's improved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

esperterra posted:

How's her acting in it? I love Biel and will watch anything she's in, but I would never pretend she's a very good actress.

Been a while since she's done much, though, so maybe she's improved!

She's been good so far, and critics who have seen the whole thing praised her performance above all

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

She's been good so far, and critics who have seen the whole thing praised her performance above all

Awesome! I'll probably start that up after Orphan Black finale tonight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

yeah you can't really lay "Suicide Squad was bad" at Ayers' feet, he did what he could. His other movies are fantastic. Bright might be okay!

I mean, he also wrote the script, so no.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShakeZula posted:

She crushing it. But Bill Pullman is my MVP after 2 episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

in like six weeks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

The script was fine, what little there was of it after The Butchering.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Have you ever heard of the pyrokinetic homeboy?"

not buying it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, it's a comic book movie. :shrug:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

I mean, it's a comic book movie. :shrug:

An especially bad one. There were some things in the movie that were decent, but that was mostly on the backs of the performances from the actors. The script was bad before the historically lovely editing and broken radio like soundtrack even comes into play.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mr Mercedes is really good. Brendan Gleeson plays a retired cop who is being taunted by a serial killer.

I'm put it high up on the list.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr. Mercedes seems like a really, really weird watch right about now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IRQ posted:

The problem was that in 2017 MST3K isn't actually funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DworRueQh4E begs to differ

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I haven't seen the show but I've read the book and the origin of the title kind of bears an uncomfortable resemblance to today's news (and some recent news of similar nature).

I honestly assumed the whole production would just get shut down for awhile given relatively recent news of that type.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was avoiding news on my day off.

At risk of being heartless, the book is years old and the show was filmed earlier this year or most of it was.

I have some strong opinions on todays events after reading them. All of which require dead nazis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not suggesting anyone is to blame for the timing. I'm just saying its bad timing and I think I'd be uncomfortable watching it right now. I'd also be uncomfortable watching the Apt Pupil or Man in the High Castle or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nazi's controlled tv broadcasts across the world 80 years ago. Letting them again is just ridiculous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said, I'm not saying I think it should have been cancelled or anything. I just wouldn't personally be comfortable with it. I'm a fan of the book and would love to find a way to watch the show in time. Just not today.

Actually I have an AT&T phone. Can I watch it? I have no idea what that service is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rocksicles posted:

Nazi's controlled tv broadcasts across the world 80 years ago. Letting them again is just ridiculous.

:jerkbag:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's your beef? i just said them controlling how people watch TV is a bad thing in general.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People being uncomfortable with a fictional subject matter due to real world events isn't "letting them control" anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

I was avoiding news on my day off.

Same here, but now I'm worried, I don't know if I have enough weed to keep me sane until the dispensary opens in the morning :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

People being uncomfortable with a fictional subject matter due to real world events isn't "letting them control" anything.

Its "I want to watch some TV or read a book or watch a movie or play a game to escape from life's poo poo... oh gently caress, that didn't work at all."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

That's fine, i was talking as a society... like they did 80 years ago. I figured you might read the overall context.

People have no issue watching Homeland every week.

If you feel bad and uncomfortable watching nazis after today, that's good i guess.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know, whether you've seen it before or not, GLOW is excellent escapist television if that's what you need.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm debating rewatching Inglorious Bastards.

Or just trying to figure out what the gently caress The Mist is about again.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm debating rewatching Inglorious Bastards.

Well, I was also going to suggest The Blues Brothers, but...probably not?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DivisionPost posted:

Well, I was also going to suggest The Blues Brothers, but...probably not?

My favorite movie, I've been thinking about that quite a bit today. It's funny when people don't actually do it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Don't do it!!! Last episode was super shocking with some crazy twists!!:

Head guy at the mall, the one trying to keep the peace, commits murder and blames it on Alex
Nature Hippie lady sets out to lead some of the church people to the mall so they can murder the rapist, Johnny Football Hero
--On the way out, she and her followers (including the sheriff, father of Johnny Football Hero) barricade the doors and set fire to the church, killing anyone who declined to go to the mall so they can murder the rapist Johnny Football Hero
The twist everyone guessed from episode 1. Yes you, person reading this: if you watched episode 1, you predicted that Alex was not raped by Johnny Football Hero, but her weird antisocial friend. You were right!

It was an episode of people acting as if they are martians trying to emulate humans. The point of the show is supposed to be "the real monster is man" but fucks sake

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Just finished Comrad Detecetive, did anyone else think it was odd how little they used the meta stuff? I think it was like 30 second openings in 3 of the episodes, I was expecting it to build to something clever, like maybe the end of the last episode being lost and them having to recreate it, but the way they did it would have been better just not having it at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL that Netflix spent $90 million on a movie that won't get them any new subscribers.
:stare: Holy poo poo, no wonder they're in debt

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Who was it a couple weeks back that kept defending The Mist as "really well done?"

It's entertaining in its own way I guess. I mean it's not quite so bad it's good, instead it is exactly bad enough that it's interesting to see how close you can get to that line.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector 34 posted:

Who was it a couple weeks back that kept defending The Mist as "really well done?"

It's entertaining in its own way I guess. I mean it's not quite so bad it's good, instead it is exactly bad enough that it's interesting to see how close you can get to that line.

That was me, but i wasn't defending the show as such. I just like the way it's made, I also might have had two beers.
I still think some of it is really well done, last couple of episodes were arse though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I will concede that some people involved with the show might be competent and have done their jobs well. Like the moth attack thing in the first few episodes was pulled off pretty well, but man the writing is just so bad that it's hard for me to pay attention to much else. Am I crazy or is this Summer worse than most for tv shows? I feel like there's nothing decent to watch, despite Netflix and Amazon putting out some decent stuff.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Speaking of Stephen King adaptations, the first episode of Mr Mercedes was pretty good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just finishing up WHAS: Ten Years Later. Not as good as the prequel or movie, but I still had a blast.

All that murder was beginning to murder us, on the inside ...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bruceski posted:

My favorite movie, I've been thinking about that quite a bit today. It's funny when people don't actually do it.

It's funny when they do it to ineffectual card-carrying Nazis being led by Henry Gibson, not the exact opposite of that scenario.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Just finished watching the last episode of Orphan Black.

Boy howdy did that show go to poo poo. This last season should not have happened, it was a loving mess.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

spudsbuckley posted:

Just finished watching the last episode of Orphan Black.

Boy howdy did that show go to poo poo. This last season should not have happened, it was a loving mess.

Totally going to disagree with that. This season did an amazing job of tying everything together and the finale was a beautiful coda for the show. I love that they wrapped up the conspiracy stuff in the first 15 minutes and just focused on the sestras living their lives from there.

• Locked thread