Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
My main issue with the crates is that they should focus on fixing bugs and completing the game first.

Theres the moral side too that its scummy in a non-ftp game and its just a lame cash grab but I like capitalism so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Is there anyplace that gives details about the effects of the boost bar?

Like from 60 to 90 boost how much HP will I heal in a tick, how often does it tick, how fast does the bar decay, how much faster will I move?

I haven't been able to find any exact numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OZIEDHZBk8

That same channel has interesting videos on the audio from different guns at different ranges, speed differences with different types of weapons equipped, and other detailed information.

There's another channel ([https://www.youtube.com/user/Fugglettv/videos) with some similar information you can browse though.

ChesterJT posted:

My main issue with the crates is that they should focus on fixing bugs and completing the game first.

Theres the moral side too that its scummy in a non-ftp game and its just a lame cash grab but I like capitalism so whatever.

Previous versions of the game were less complete because they had not yet implemented a way to let me wear a miniskirt.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 12, 2017

Boydi!
Jul 19, 2005
I have no idea what to write here!
Had a some good fun tonight with some of you guys on discord. Tonetta kicked rear end with some smoke grenades, showing us all how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gREnkCd7GIg

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Not sure why I'm still doing this

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

Regarding the giant green building: Is there a best place to look?
I usually go to the substation as it is far easier to see/kill anyone approaching, and I have a quick route down to clear it (usually landing on the open roof).

When I do go to the big rear end power plant, I'm not certain where the best places to check are? There's what - the turbine floor, a floor above that, a second level and the roof?

Substation to the west is better in my experience since the power plant proper is on an open hill with cliffs at the back. Anyone that lands at the substation can see you go in the main power plant and catch you as you come out.
The Power Plant proper has more loot, but it's more spread out too.

In the big power plant there's a big green building, then a ton sheds/warehouses scattered around. The green building has 2 floors and a roof. If I go there I just land on the roof and move down. After the building, the warehouses and little tent/canopy areas usually have decent stuff.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ChesterJT posted:

There are huge diminishing returns on throwing more people/teams on those things, and the crate stuff can be worked on in parallel. It's not slowing anything down and the fact that the monthly patches have been pretty hefty while the crate stuff was being built is a pretty good indication they are not competing for resources.

Basically, hiring a couple modelers and a programmer who knows Steam APIs isn't going to slow down the performance, feature, and map sprints.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

underage at the vape shop posted:

their estimated income was gta's marketing budget alone is what i mean. they have more peak players than gta v now too.

GTA5 was also sold on 4 consoles and PC, so their penetration is much higher.

I tried playing the multiplayer again recently... it is specifically designed around making everything so incredibly grindy in an attempt to get people to buy Shark Cards to expediate the process of getting the newest toys in the game. They also make no attempt to ban cheaters, except the ones who cheat money in to the game, because if you get cheated money, you probably won't buy shark cards.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 12, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
so I got a question about the initial drop -- very often when I'm dropping on a hot spot I'll see people who seem to be opening their chutes way closer to the ground than I am. I know that we're dropping on the same elevation because the black bar is all the way on the bottom of the altimeter. Does the altimeter trigger your chute when you get to a hard altitude, or does that altitude change depending on how fast you're going?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Used to be/still is a trick, if you hit max fall speed and let off W just as you cross the white line, then jam back on it a second later, you will drop farther.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Chard posted:

Used to be/still is a trick, if you hit max fall speed and let off W just as you cross the white line, then jam back on it a second later, you will drop farther.

All you have to do is have ~0 horizontal velocity and you get a hard drop (your chute opens but you decelerate much slower, so you get lower faster). Combine with spiraling in after a few seconds (holding W+(A||D) once you hit ~70kph) for fastest ground approach.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

All you have to do is have ~0 horizontal velocity and you get a hard drop (your chute opens but you decelerate much slower, so you get lower faster). Combine with spiraling in after a few seconds (holding W+(A||D) once you hit ~70kph) for fastest ground approach.

Lol I love that I have been accidentally doing this with incorrect logic the whole time

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So whats the consensus on first person versus normal. Worth trying out the game again for? I hated the camping originally.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So whats the consensus on first person versus normal. Worth trying out the game again for? I hated the camping originally.

Camping is stronger in FPP but you'll die in less bullshit ways.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I can't go back to third person mode, first person is so good.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my experience is that people camp more in fpp than in third and because you can't peek around corners and the lag in the game campers have a larger advantage it makes for a slower, more boring experience

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's true if you do poo poo like drop in two random buildings in the field but try dropping military or school and tell me it is a 'slower, more boring' experience

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I've mainly been dropping pochinki, but there everyone just gets a gun and sits in a house so it takes forever to clear the houses because you can't just yolo through them peeking corners with third person

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I have run into very few campers that I can't deal with in first person. If they're in a window, i get cover, locate them, and fight/flee. If they have stuck themselves in an apartment bathroom or something, I know I can just leave and find someone else and have a fight. If I were playing third person, campers can exist and ruin my game around every conceivable piece of cover.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

UP AND ADAM posted:

I have run into very few campers that I can't deal with in first person. If they're in a window, i get cover, locate them, and fight/flee. If they have stuck themselves in an apartment bathroom or something, I know I can just leave and find someone else and have a fight. If I were playing third person, campers can exist and ruin my game around every conceivable piece of cover.

Yeah this. It's much easier to pick fights in FPP. Too often in TPP you'd get stalemates where neither party could do anything because both were watching the other waiting for someone to expose themselves. In FPP you can only keep an eye on your enemy if you're exposing yourself. As such it's way easier to run away or reposition in what would have been a stalemate.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There might be more campers in FPP, but camping is a much much worse strategy in FPP. I know every one of you has played this situation out in TPP a million times: You're behind a tree and your target is also behind a tree. You both know where each other are, and you're both watching one another in third person. Sometimes one of you peeks out to put a few bullets downrange, but really you both just sit there until some outside impetus breaks the standoff, unless you're in grenade range. Whoever rushes is fully visible to the other person who then leans out and destroys the person with no cover. This just doesn't happen in FPP. When you decide to push someone, they have to look out to shoot at you, and you can shoot them back. You can also flank more easily, as any attempt to leave your cover for new cover won't automatically get seen by the hoverdrone camera.

I find that this tends to work well in buildings as well, being aggressive means you can push people without them automatically having the advantage of getting to pre-aim every time. The only time I find that FPP makes camping more effective is that it's harder to see other people laying in the grass at close range because your camera is lower.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Just started FPP today.
Seems to be much smoother than TPP as far as my system performance is concerned. People seem more aggressive, which I like, last two matches were rush in and get a gun then immediately start shooting dudes.

Vehicles kind of suck to drive and I've died mostly to getting shot while on the move, and I can't ever tell where I'm getting shot from, but that's nothing different from TPP so...

I also opened a crate and got blue hi tops, so I'm pretty stoked about my free five bux.

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

FPP allows for poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-VTxRAgukA

Which feels great, even if I'm so bad I can't pull it off.

Furthering the point of FPP being more interesting for tree vs tree standoffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pq9gqZkKlk

But I wish driving didn't suck so much in FP :(

bike appreciator fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 13, 2017

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Vehicles seem much more risky in FPP. Because our camera view does not behave like our real eyes do in vehicles its very claustrophobic, you can't see anyone, and you're way more open to being shot at while in a vehicle compared with third person.

I kind of think they should allow for TPP while in a vehicle. You should be able to stand up while driving a boat to see over the top too.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The second best thing about only having played FPP after it came out is that my 3pp ranking is ultimate trash tier, so everyone is just awful

The best thing is that both the times i've hammered the match-up button and forgot to switch to first person inbetween games, I've won, so I can nurse that 100% win ratio, now in double

This game I took literally every single fight I could in an attempt to end it early so I could play a good game mode, but alas, 17 failures to end my misery in a row

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 13, 2017

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

The best thing is that both the times i've hammered the match-up button and forgot to switch to first person inbetween games I've won, so I can nurse that 100% win ratio, now in double

this is honestly the most urgent patch issue. remember my game mode so i don't accidentally queue 3rd person or i'll stop paying $500 for skirts or whatever

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like driving in first person more for whatever reason. probably because i've never liked when your perspective shifts in games. it is obviously harder tho.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I was in a Dacia at playercount 20, at which point I was fired upon. Thinking quickly, I drove a car off a small rise, maybe a car length up, into the shore. Luckily, the car didn't have any sort of collision, smoothly gliding onto the seafloor with barely a bump. I then got out a short moment afterward, having almost fully ground to a halt underwater.

The near-stationary car, also slowed down by water, did at least 40% damage to me and killed me.

So much for a thirlling escape.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Zomborgon posted:

I was in a Dacia at playercount 20, at which point I was fired upon. Thinking quickly, I drove a car off a small rise, maybe a car length up, into the shore. Luckily, the car didn't have any sort of collision, smoothly gliding onto the seafloor with barely a bump. I then got out a short moment afterward, having almost fully ground to a halt underwater.

The near-stationary car, also slowed down by water, did at least 40% damage to me and killed me.

So much for a thirlling escape.

Dying when getting out of cars is random. I have been at full stop on a hill and died from the car rolling an inch as I was getting out.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

LordNat posted:

Dying when getting out of cars is random. I have been at full stop on a hill and died from the car rolling an inch as I was getting out.

Did you die from falling or from the car hitting you? I've so far never died from jumping out of slightly moving cars, which I do all the time.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

The Mash posted:

Did you die from falling or from the car hitting you? I've so far never died from jumping out of slightly moving cars, which I do all the time.

I think it is a mix of speed when hitting the ground and the vehicle hitting you. But mostly the vehicle I think.

If you get out on the driver's side while it is sliding to the passenger side, it does no damage to you. But if you get out on the driver's side while sliding in that direction, you likely will die or take massive damage.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I had a hilarious game earlier where my squad was in two cars, and we were driving up to a house. I was in the first car with another dude and we got knocked out, then the car behind hit our car and we all died.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

You can't heal while in vehicles underwater anymore. This is completely fair and logical, but still deeply disappointing when I try to do it now and can't.

You can still beep underwater though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Did they patch out being able to go ultra-fast uphill by jumping?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Man first person owns bones. The final few circles are all about sound. Love it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

afkmacro posted:

Man first person owns bones. The final few circles are all about sound. Love it.

Agreed. Third person is fun and casual, but first person is definitely the way it was meant to be played. Hopefully they can polish out the jankiness.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

The second best thing about only having played FPP after it came out is that my 3pp ranking is ultimate trash tier, so everyone is just awful

The best thing is that both the times i've hammered the match-up button and forgot to switch to first person inbetween games, I've won, so I can nurse that 100% win ratio, now in double

This game I took literally every single fight I could in an attempt to end it early so I could play a good game mode, but alas, 17 failures to end my misery in a row

Great number of kills, but that's an unfortunate reward to walk away with :catstare:

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
After a hundred hours of playing this game. I got my first dinner tonight. Was pretty exciting knowing that I could make it to the end and clinch it.

I usually don't pick up the SCAR-L, but I was able to fully deck it out and it was glorious. The thing becomes a HS magnet at close quarters.

Also, I really like motorbikes for approaching houses. If I can get to the house before the circle closes, I can let the bike fall on the ground and sneak my way in to clear it.

Now, let's see if I can do it again.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Someone just asked Grimmz for his ingame sensitivity settings, he said "Sorry, I don't give that out." Not sure why he wouldn't, seems like a baby thing to do.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Not that he's not a baby, but that's one of those questions that probably gets real old answering every 30 seconds.

• Locked thread