Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm kinda curious what Apple uses internally. i assume they issue MacBooks pro and have build servers or something. what would those servers run on?

azure cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

I'd guess the desktop team is full of nice lads and ladies who mean well but all upper management cares about is iPhones and laptops because they make more money

apple only needs two classes of device:

one that runs ios apps
one that makes ios apps

and realistically the ipad pro could probably satisfy both

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

still using the last quad-core mini over here, so i'd be into this.

i resorted to getting a mbp that never leaves my desk when my 2011 dual core mac mini was getting a little too slow for me

id buy an up to date quad core mini in a second

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

apple only needs two classes of device:

one that runs ios apps
one that makes ios apps

and realistically the ipad pro could probably satisfy both

ugh coding on a iPad Pro. swift playgrounds is nifty to play with but ugh

iMacs can cover the latter today. so long as you don't need to do any prerendering

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mishaq posted:

i resorted to getting a mbp that never leaves my desk when my 2011 dual core mac mini was getting a little too slow for me

id buy an up to date quad core mini in a second

yeah, the worst part is this thing will probably become unsupported before it ever feels too slow but :capitalism:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I think when Steve passed a bunch of their leadership deceived themselves into thinking they were part of the magic. Steve can tell people what they're going to like, so why can't we?

apple looks to early 2000s quark, says hold my beer

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

mishaq posted:

give us the mac mini pro timb

it can just be an intel NUC with an aluminum housing around it

a Mac nuc but with a proper cooler would be great, too bad its never going to happen

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tim bring back the airports extreme you fuckman

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

i can understand how it happens, but it's so incredibly obvious, you have to assume the product group actively dislikes their customers

they just care about products that sell in the millions a lot more than products that don't.

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm kinda curious what Apple uses internally. i assume they issue MacBooks pro and have build servers or something. what would those servers run on?

MacBook regular or pro for everyone. most developers used to have cheese grater mac pros but use an iMac these days. build servers used to be Xserves (lol) for far too long after they stopped making them. these days it's probably some cloud thing that I don't know anything about.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I caught my S0 Sport in a hydraulic wood splitter yesterday. Can't really tell it happened except for a small gash on the side and some chipping and heavy scuffing on the HR monitor. :shobon:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

they just care about products that sell in the millions a lot more than products that don't.

that stands to reason, but then why make "pro" devices that people with professional workloads can't use and don't want?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

that stands to reason, but then why make "pro" devices that people with professional workloads can't use and don't want?

here's a hint: maybe they're not aimed at actual pros, but instead, the "prosumer" demographic who thinks that they are pros and really is interested in looking like they have pro tier stuff and has a ton of money to spend on looking more pro than others despite being functionally fine with the normal tier poo poo

its just for looks duh

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
prosumers will always chase what they think the pros are doing, though, so if all the pros jump ship then so will the prosumers.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Doc Block posted:

prosumers will always chase what they think the pros are doing, though, so if all the pros jump ship then so will the prosumers.

thats like 99% wrong tho

the prosumers have no real idea what the pros are doing

they've maybe worked 2 degrees of separation from the real pros and maybe got a glimpse of pro tier gear but never touched it and wouldnt be able to even connect it to their "prosumer" gear anyway cuz the interfaces are most likely different (Ethernet vs. Fibre Channel, HDMI vs HD-SDI, what have you...) but hey, that dark slate-grey pro imac just Really Projects It's Powerful Because It's Slate Grey Not Light Grey will surely be just as powerful as your Dodge RAM 4x4 w/ Tim The Toolman Taylor Grunt Noise Generator

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

Dodge RAM 4x4 w/ Tim The Toolman Taylor Grunt Noise Generator

don't hate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just used a pad pro with the pen and it was good

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I can get a $1300 laptop with a 40 gigabit interface and that is still mildly cool (too bad there isn’t really anything to plug into it yet)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

I can get a $1300 laptop with a 40 gigabit interface and that is still mildly cool (too bad there isn’t really anything to plug into it yet)

xps 15?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

the prosumers have no real idea what the pros are doing

but that's my point. a lot of prosumers just cargo cult the pros. buying high end cameras to make youtube videos, etc.

and when prosumers hear pros saying that macs are no good for pro-level work anymore and are leaving the platform (which they are), so do the prosumers, without really understanding why.

prosumers not really understanding just how not-pro they are has no bearing on whether or not they'll stick with macs after the pros have gone.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 13, 2017

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Prosumer is an aesthetic it's not aping the pros.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i want a black imac

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hey neat they've kept the target mode functionality in the new thunderbolt 3 macs
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

Also IP over thunderbolt
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25217

Someone please try networking a bunch of macs using nothing but usb-c cables and see how many hops you can do before it all falls apart :haw:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

Hey neat they've kept the target mode functionality in the new thunderbolt 3 macs

Also IP over thunderbolt

Someone please try networking a bunch of macs using nothing but usb-c cables and see how many hops you can do before it all falls apart :haw:

no target display mode tho which is a bit of a bummer

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

MacBook regular or pro for everyone. most developers used to have cheese grater mac pros but use an iMac these days.

Hopefully not the 5,400rpm spinny disk iMacs? 😯

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MrMoo posted:

Hopefully not the 5,400rpm spinny disk iMacs? 😯

fusion drive ftw

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

r u ready to WALK posted:

Also IP over thunderbolt

a few years back someone at the office actually succeeded in making a fully-connected hadoop cluster with 7 trash cans and 21 thunderbolt cables to see how well metal tasks would work in hadoop

i think they used it for a month and then moved on to other work. the macs pro are still sitting unused on a table near his desk

what a waste of computing power

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

no target display mode tho which is a bit of a bummer

i'd probably buy an imac if they brought this back

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

fusion drive ftw

fusion drives are mega win

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

fusion drives are mega win

lol no. they are a scam. full ssd or bust

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

full ssd and bust

ftfy

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

akadajet posted:

nope.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

i'd probably buy an imac if they brought this back

I think they got rid of it because DisplayPort or w/e doesn't support 5K @ 60hz yet or something like that. once the interconnect speeds catch up it'll hopefully come back.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ComradeCosmobot posted:

a few years back someone at the office actually succeeded in making a fully-connected hadoop cluster with 7 trash cans and 21 thunderbolt cables to see how well metal tasks would work in hadoop

i think they used it for a month and then moved on to other work. the macs pro are still sitting unused on a table near his desk

what a waste of computing power

heheheee "power"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

wrong. fusion is the best of both worlds.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Management posted:

wrong. fusion is the best of both worlds.
:wrong:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
fusion owns

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you can't even tell the diff if you're using an ssd or a fusion drive with normal use. i'd bet on any double blind test

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the lowest tier 2017 imac's fusion drive only has 32 GB of flash lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the lowest tier 2017 imac's fusion drive only has 32 GB of flash lmao

i do think this was a dumb move tho. it reeks of penny pinching. the older 128gb fusion drives are better, but you still really can't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ah yes the classic never-ending battle between "The people who use something and know" and "The but-the-spec-sheet-says contrarians"

• Locked thread