Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I can't imagine all of this is worth it for Houston Nutt. He could have gotten another job at a lower tier program, but I can't imagine anyone hiring him anytime soon after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure if he was going to coach again it would have happened by now, he's been out of it for 6 years

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'd totally believe someone poisoned the well for Nutt on interviews. He wasn't so objectively bad he'd be forced into other work, he was more than capable of coaching at G5 or lower P5 schools until retirement.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Nutt poisoned the well himself by having multiple jobs end with huge scandals. He's not a good enough coach to be worth the trouble.

Iowa had their last open practice/scrimmage thing today, and the first one that would involve true freshmen. AJ Epenesa (5 star who was the best DE recruit in the county by some accounts) already reportedly looks awesome and seems like he's going to play a ton as a true freshman, to the point that they're shuffling some of the more experienced ends down to DT a lot to try to make room for him. I'd guess he at least gets a ton of plays as a situational pass rusher at first and then maybe starts later in the year. Iowa has a pretty good oline with a lot of experience and he was still getting to the QB a ton even against the first team offense.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
What was his Arkansas scandal? The Ole Miss one was just recruiting, right? He just bent the poo poo out of the rules until they fixed them, that wasn't particularly scandalous to me, it was actually textbook SEC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

What was his Arkansas scandal?

He was loving a reporter and giving favors for that I believe? Well he never admitted it, but dude was bestest friends ever with this woman at the least, they texted constantly. Which kinda makes the whole way he's going about bringing down Freeze hilarious.

There was also something about his friends undermining Mitch Mustain I think with letters to newspapers talking poo poo on him.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

He was loving a reporter and giving favors for that I believe? Well he never admitted it, but dude was bestest friends ever with this woman at the least, they texted constantly. Which kinda makes the whole way he's going about bringing down Freeze hilarious.

There was also something about his friends undermining Mitch Mustain I think with letters to newspapers talking poo poo on him.

Ah, I at least remember the Mitch Mustain madness. Been a long time since Nutt was at Arkansas.

My favorite part about all this is Hugh Freeze raised expectations so high at Ole Miss (because he cheated) that they're going to be massacring the next 4-5 head coaches they get for not meeting up to what Freeze did (when he was cheating). The next like 20 years for Ole Miss is going to suck hard unless they manage to find a prodigy hire which they can enjoy for like two years until LSU hires him.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

http://www.inallkindsofweather.com/blog/source-antonio-callaway-jawaan-taylor-among-five-gator-players-involved-in-credit-card-fraud.html

is this technically impermissible benefits, depending on when they pay it back?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Why would they commit fraud for $1500, between five players they probably could have just asked their bagmen and gotten it no problem

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol things were going too well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing, I talked to a guy who played for Bama in the late '90s last weekend. He said they had bounties on all their stats "$X for a tackle, $Y for a reception, etc.," and they'd leave their cars unlocked in an agreed-upon garage. When they came back, there'd be an envelope in the console or glove box or something.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah drop in a car in an unassuming garage seems like an easy way to toss in some cash with nobody putti two people in the same place.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PostNouveau posted:

Apropos of nothing, I talked to a guy who played for Bama in the late '90s last weekend. He said they had bounties on all their stats "$X for a tackle, $Y for a reception, etc.," and they'd leave their cars unlocked in an agreed-upon garage. When they came back, there'd be an envelope in the console or glove box or something.

I can''t, off the top of my head, think of a single parking garage in Tuscaloosa in the late 90s. DCH (the campus hospital), maybe? There were a lot of large, open-air parking lots, though.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

It's almost time guys and gals. Watching Colorado State and Oregon State will be like getting a drink after being in the desert for months.

I guess besides NFL preseason but gently caress it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

buddhanc posted:

I guess besides NFL preseason but gently caress it

NFL preseason does not count.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

I can''t, off the top of my head, think of a single parking garage in Tuscaloosa in the late 90s. DCH (the campus hospital), maybe? There were a lot of large, open-air parking lots, though.

That's likely what he said. I was a few beers in at that point.

I'm sure every school does it; I just thought it was interesting that they had to work a little spycraft into it.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

The Notorious ZSB posted:

NFL preseason does not count.

Fixed

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Crotch Bat posted:

Ah, I at least remember the Mitch Mustain madness. Been a long time since Nutt was at Arkansas.

My favorite part about all this is Hugh Freeze raised expectations so high at Ole Miss (because he cheated) that they're going to be massacring the next 4-5 head coaches they get for not meeting up to what Freeze did (when he was cheating). The next like 20 years for Ole Miss is going to suck hard unless they manage to find a prodigy hire which they can enjoy for like two years until LSU hires him.

Good, gently caress Ole Miss

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All that Mitch Mustain poo poo for a QB that I can't remember doing anything of note

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

All that Mitch Mustain poo poo for a QB that I can't remember doing anything of note

Ah the Springdale 5. Such hope. And only Malzahn made it big. Haha.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/TreyW_Radio/status/896828214491979776

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

go gators

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

For clarification, it seems they will miss the opener against Michigan.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Just trying to game the late-season polls by making the early season loss not REALLY count

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Antonio seems like the most athletic but also dumbest guy on the team with a football IQ of -100, so they're losing some big play ability but also dumbassery with him. Are the other guys any good?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are these dudes any good?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I went to the Rutgers open practice yesterday. It's crystal clear that yes they're still going to be bad on offense, but it's going to be night and day from 2016. Last year, they were trying to run a Meyer spread with I-formation personnel, and it was a loving trainwreck.

This year, they're running the Jerry Kill at Minnesota offense. Not world beaters by any means, and poo poo could easily go south with injuries with how the horrible Kyle Flood recruiting killed their depth, but they're going to be astronomically better. You can't fully predict this stuff because of injuries, but I am very confident they're going to win 4-5 games this year. The defense actually looks...really good, and it was relatively good last year considering the impossible situations they were put into. The DC, Jay Niemann, is a star and will probably get hired away for a big job in a year.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are these dudes any good?

Callaway is our number 1 receiver

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kim Jong Il posted:

I went to the Rutgers open practice yesterday. It's crystal clear that yes they're still going to be bad on offense, but it's going to be night and day from 2016. Last year, they were trying to run a Meyer spread with I-formation personnel, and it was a loving trainwreck.

This year, they're running the Jerry Kill at Minnesota offense. Not world beaters by any means, and poo poo could easily go south with injuries with how the horrible Kyle Flood recruiting killed their depth, but they're going to be astronomically better. You can't fully predict this stuff because of injuries, but I am very confident they're going to win 4-5 games this year. The defense actually looks...really good, and it was relatively good last year considering the impossible situations they were put into. The DC, Jay Niemann, is a star and will probably get hired away for a big job in a year.

Counterpoint

It's Rutgers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol I forgot they hired Jerry Kill as the offensive coordinator

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Man I'm looking forward to dunking on Rutgers again

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

go gators

Thankfully Coach Mac has recruited a lot of receivers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manoueverable posted:

Man I'm looking forward to dunking on Rutgers again

:yeah:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:sigh:

In years past I might be more dismayed but a) UF hasn't been super exciting lately so it'll just be more of the same and b) Calloway doing something stupid off the field is nearly as reliable as the sunrise.

And whatever, this affects the kids more than it does me so maybe I'm getting old and soft or something.

Maybe the suspension will prevent the punt reception turnover that would've doomed us.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I mean it's likely only going to be for one game, if even that, right? This is a team enforced suspension not NCAA

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Why would they commit fraud for $1500, between five players they probably could have just asked their bagmen and gotten it no problem

I heard they were going to go to a loan shark, but their coach would have found out :downsrim:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

:sigh:

In years past I might be more dismayed but a) UF hasn't been super exciting lately so it'll just be more of the same and b) Calloway doing something stupid off the field is nearly as reliable as the sunrise.

And whatever, this affects the kids more than it does me so maybe I'm getting old and soft or something.

Maybe the suspension will prevent the punt reception turnover that would've doomed us.

You only need like 10 points to beat Michigan anyway.

You won't score 10 points

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm glad that people are in getting trouble because it means the program is headed in the right direction again

If you don't have guys committing credit card fraud then I don't see how you can be taken seriously as a football program

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Kim Jong Il posted:

Relatively good = 37.5 points allowed per game

Really good would be like...32....33?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

You only need like 10 points to beat Michigan anyway.

You won't score 10 points

Eh. If Luke Del Rio starts we won't. But I'm p sure it'll be Franks.

• Locked thread