Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If we're doing sequels the play to get into Snow's Party Palace in Lightning Returns is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ventana posted:

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfVP0dQDwg&t=1979s

Links are tough

Unappreciated dumb moment: right after that, Snow gives Vanille a gun and she play shoots him like a child

don't get me wrong, i love that scene too, hope's mom owns, but i was talking about the scene later, where she has a rocket launcher. the scene is her blowing something up, she says the line (and it's legit pretty cool tbh), and then like one second later the bridge shes on blows up.

and i am super terrible at timestamps but its in that video about 5 minutes on from where you link

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Relin posted:

well i just learned about the canon ff10-2.5

lol

Hi, it's me, Auron's secret daughter. Lulu doesn't trust me, because Auron would have told them he had a daughter, because after all Auron's defining character trait was being extremely forthcoming with information.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mandatory lesbian posted:

don't get me wrong, i love that scene too, hope's mom owns, but i was talking about the scene later, where she has a rocket launcher. the scene is her blowing something up, she says the line (and it's legit pretty cool tbh), and then like one second later the bridge shes on blows up.

and i am super terrible at timestamps but its in that video about 5 minutes on from where you link

I gotcha, I just focused in on the Moms are Tough line since that's mostly what people bring up. That line itself is totally fine, but yeah the scene where she fires at the skytank and then falls into the pit shortly after is hilarious.

edit:

TurnipFritter posted:

Hi, it's me, Auron's secret daughter. Lulu doesn't trust me, because Auron would have told them he had a daughter, because after all Auron's defining character trait was being extremely forthcoming with information.

I'm sorta glad we never got a FFX-3 now

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 12, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

hmm, i heard about Tidus blowing himself up but not this.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

There are two things that I got mixed up: FFX-2.5 is the novel where Tidus blows himself up (but comes back to life) and he and Yuna are whisked off to another world to have an adventure, and then there's FFX-3, an audio drama which stars Auron's daughter and her friend (as new love interests for Tidus and Yuna) and involves Sin coming back in the same way Tidus did in X-2.5.

quote:

The developers wanted to have the story continue as a direct opposite of Tidus and Yuna's happy story, and thus Sin was brought back. Kitase commented that similar to Sephiroth's role in Final Fantasy VII, Sin plays an important role in Final Fantasy X and the developers wanted to keep Sin involved with the story.

This is honestly such a remarkably bad justification. Stories are told for a reason: Even as far back as FF1 there was a reason you played the version of the time loop where the Light Warriors prevail and not any of the instances where they fail. There's a reason so many RPGs have the player playing the characters who defeat the ancient sealed evil villain instead of the characters who seal it away. But it's particularly ridiculous here, because FFX's story is about Yuna and not any of the other high summoners because she breaks the Sin cycle instead if perpetuating it, and even FFX-2 tried to explore what Spira would look like now that Sin is gone forever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Didn't happen in a game = didn't happen at all" is the way you have to approach FF's phenomenally stupid EU canon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

"Didn't happen in a game = didn't happen at all" is the way you have to approach FF's phenomenally stupid EU canon.

Most of the EU stuff happens in games though? Like even the Auron daughter thing is in the FFXHD collection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Lalalala I can't hear you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-2 is pretty explicit in leading to FFVII. It stars a kid named Shinra who dreams of using the energy in the planet.

It's still dumb.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Final Fantasy is dumb. Videogames are dumb

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The single best moment in Final Fantasy history is Lightning coming home from a stressful day at work to a birthday party thrown by her beloved little sister and the lovely hippy dating her, getting surprised by a gift she kind of likes and then learning her sister is both Dying By Magic and Now Engaged To Piece-of-poo poo and having a screaming match with him till they both leave. It's the most realistic family relationship in the franchise and the only thing missing was Lightning opening a new bottle of wine, picking up a glass then putting it down because she wasn't going to need it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
As somebody who had an extremely similar situation to that last sentence happen recently, only with cheap store bought beer instead, Lightning has officially struck twice (in my heart).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

Final Fantasy is dumb. Videogames are dumb

This but ironically.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm playing the FFVII retranslation. You know, this one:

It's actually not bad! I installed it because I thought hey, if I'm gonna replay this game might as well do some sort of thing to keep it a bit more fresh, but I'm not regretting it. To my surprise, the characters still sound like themselves, even if most of them lose a bit of flair in the transition. Even Barret, although he's lost the charming symbol swearing and now just swears actually, still uses the same sorts of turns of phrase as he used to and such. And Cait Sith (who is not replaced with any sort of original character) speaks with an extremely heavy scottish accent which is just perfectly absurd. And the actual reason for the retranslation's existence, making sense of some of the scenes completely destroyed by the original translation, is fulfilled nicely. It's pretty refreshing knowing what's going on in some of these messes of lines, and who was speaking in which text box.

Still, the translation is really silly with names. Really silly. 95% of them are "fixed" to be more """"accurate.""" They're probably the worst part, although you can optionally revert some of these with the installer. Like how about Professor Gast being named "Gusto" (that might be secretly amazing actually)? Or Zack renamed to "Zax" because that's a real name real humans have? Or "Leno" of the Turks. And honestly. Crime Hazard. Who looked a that and said it was OK?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is Zack's name in Japanese "Zakusu" or something?

Also lol Leno and Crime Hazard. "You know what would be more accurate? Let's just indiscriminately flip our interpretation of the Japanese pseudo-r/l katakana characters, I'm sure that's correct."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is Zack's name in Japanese "Zakusu" or something?

Also lol Leno and Crime Hazard. "You know what would be more accurate? Let's just indiscriminately flip our interpretation of the Japanese pseudo-r/l katakana characters, I'm sure that's correct."

Zack's Japanese name is Zakkusu but that is just Zack.

There was, a long time ago, a Japanese book which wrong his name in English as "Zax" because often English romanization in Japanese-only books isn't heavily checked. However it is written in English in Zack *literally everywhere else* including in the Japanese version of Crisis Core. So using Zax is being a dumb dumb motherfucker.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh yeah, and I forgot (because I toggled this option instantly before it would drive me mad) but the patch by default also does stuff like calling phoenix downs "phoenix tails", megalixirs "last elixirs" and, wait for it, moogles "moguri" (I'm kind of shocked everything isn't just a romanized version of its japanese name tbh. It's only Moguri for some reason. Must be very important). Later english translations be damned!

Thankfully it is pretty customizable regarding all this nonsense so it's not really bad, just really funny that someone would actually want this.

Here, if you're bored, is a grand google doc with every single name change made along with notes on why some of them were made. It gets pretty silly sometimes https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DUjmyW94zcYoX7gIW5yAT4giTPeNmCR4TCaHAiXOLlU

For instance, here's what they have to say about Zax:
"[Zax, maybe from old English ""seax"",
meaning ""knife"". It cannot be ""Zack""
because the kana has a ""su"" ending:
Zakkusu. Zack would be ""Zakku"".]"

Gee Mr. Translator, maybe it was because Square wasn't even thinking about what the names would cleanly romanize to?

E: Here's a good bit about Omnislash: "Lit. Super Ultimate War-God Supreme Slash [There's no chance I am using that hahaha]"

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 13, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

You know, I'm actually disappointed that they didn't follow through with the whole completely insane Iscar Matthias plan, because no doubt that poo poo would've been hilarious.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Thank god someone finally fixed elenas name to Yrena.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My favourite fan translation is the old FF4 hard type that translates Cure as Keal.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Amppelix posted:

For instance, here's what they have to say about Zax:
"[Zax, maybe from old English ""seax"",
meaning ""knife"". It cannot be ""Zack""
because the kana has a ""su"" ending:
Zakkusu. Zack would be ""Zakku"".]"

Gee Mr. Translator, maybe it was because Square wasn't even thinking about what the names would cleanly romanize to?

E: Here's a good bit about Omnislash: "Lit. Super Ultimate War-God Supreme Slash [There's no chance I am using that hahaha]"
It's adorable when you find someone who knows the language but utterly lacks actual translation skill

Also that pretty much is what Omnislash literally translates to, most of Cloud's limit breaks (and Yuffie's!) are insane kanji soup.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My favourite fan translation is the old FF4 hard type that translates Cure as Keal.

Oh god I remember that

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh god I remember that

My leprosy is gone! I'm kealed!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

And Cait Sith (who is not replaced with any sort of original character) speaks with an extremely heavy scottish accent which is just perfectly absurd.

but he shouldn't, because he's reeve, and reeve is a country-fried bumpkin

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm a bad FF fan having only finished FFXIV, but my two favourite moments from the whole thing were the cutscene before the Nidhogg final fight, and the entire Susano fight.

I love you reveldad :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

but he shouldn't, because he's reeve, and reeve is a country-fried bumpkin

Yeah, but Cait Sith officially has a Scottish accent for some reason now, so I guess giving him one in ff7 isn't necessarily wrong. But it has nothing to do with being a more "accurate" translation, which makes it weird.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This translation is the work of two people. So I think it's pretty likely that they were pulling in different directions and settled somewhere in the middle. Which is why some stuff is "accurate" to the point of absurdity and others actually flow well, sometimes even better than the original.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
I just got to the Great Crystal and now understand why everyone complains about it. Did they really put a massive, bizarre labyrinth at the end of a completely different dungeon?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm a bad FF fan having only finished FFXIV, but my two favourite moments from the whole thing were the cutscene before the Nidhogg final fight, and the entire Susano fight.

I love you reveldad :allears:

THE SEAS PART FOR WE ALONE!

NYA HA HA!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Claude's birthday came and went last Friday and not a single birthday wish in this thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The cutscene before Nidhogg is probably in the top 5 FF moments overall, yeah. It's just such a goddamn satisfying end to that plotline.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

NYA HA HA!

i'm going to be real steamed if susano doesn't continue to pop up in the series as the summon who loves to PARTY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i'm going to be real steamed if susano doesn't continue to pop up in the series as the summon who loves to PARTY

Well, uh, you got this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLTf_N14mU&t=94s

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

kirbysuperstar posted:

NYA HA HA!

WILD AND PURE, AND FOREVER FREE!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

dukerson posted:

I just got to the Great Crystal and now understand why everyone complains about it. Did they really put a massive, bizarre labyrinth at the end of a completely different dungeon?

You have to go there twice.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Final fantasy 12 has some hosed up pacing

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Final Fantasy IX:
The opening. From playing as Vivi and finding out the ticket isn't legit to jumping over houses to see the play, to escaping from Alexandria.
The escape from the "evil forest" that is turning to stone. I liked the pace of this.
The entirety of the black mage village and how Vivi comes to terms with his mortality.
Bahamut destroying Brahne's ships. The game was building up to it and showed how insane the summons are. Odin destroyed Clerya(sp?). Atomos brought Lindbum to its knees.
Bahamut VS Alexander. Just awesome.
Beatrix defeating you at the end of disc 1. And the fact that you never ever beat her in all 3 fights.
Kuja being in a permanent trance state. At the time it blew my mind, that a gameplay mechanic was integrated into the story.

Of all the final fantasy games i have played. FF9 is still at the top for me. And the one FF game I replay every few years. It doesn't get old.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mega64 posted:

So what's your favorite all-time moment of any Final Fantasy game?

Mine is in FF4 when you're trying to escape the Red Wings in the Underground post-Tower of Babil, when Cid decides to jump out of the airship and blow himself up, sealing off the underground and thus stopping your attackers from pursuing you. The guy literally blows himself up to save you, yet still survives. Literally immediately after Yang blows himself up to save the dwarves (and also survives). I mean, it takes some serious loving balls to jump out of an airship and explode yourself. FF4 Cid is loving awesome.

So what's your favorite all-time FF moment (from any FF game, including spin-offs)?

For me it's right after you fight Edea in FF8 and Rinoa drops into a coma. Squall is basically having a breakdown and tries to carry her alone to Esthar and then all the crew shows up on the bridge in FH and is like "we got your back".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

So what's your favorite all-time moment of any Final Fantasy game?

Mine is in FF4 when you're trying to escape the Red Wings in the Underground post-Tower of Babil, when Cid decides to jump out of the airship and blow himself up, sealing off the underground and thus stopping your attackers from pursuing you. The guy literally blows himself up to save you, yet still survives. Literally immediately after Yang blows himself up to save the dwarves (and also survives). I mean, it takes some serious loving balls to jump out of an airship and explode yourself. FF4 Cid is loving awesome.

So what's your favorite all-time FF moment (from any FF game, including spin-offs)?

Unironically, it's worst birthday ever.