Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

no easy way t osay this: if you got kids, sit em down today and have a tough talk about that frog. you know the one

Son, are you...well there's no easy way to say this so I will be blunt; are you on the Pepe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

RuanGacho posted:

If they lose their jobs every time they do it, that will end quickly.

Correct, and what's the difference between Neo-Nazis and ISIS?

The relative distance to their nearest member?

I would guess most Nazis are probably naturalized citizens of the US. Really that and skin color are the only two differences. Otherwise both are reprehensible extremist groups that we'd be better off without.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

screamin and creamin posted:

Which he had held until yesterday?

no but people were waiting for a horrible murder tragedy like this and knew trump would gently caress it up. he did it even worse then people thought.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BadOptics posted:

Son, are you...well there's no easy way to say this so I will be blunt; are you on the Pepe?

jenkem is the gateway drug to going full /pol/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm all for beating Nazis with large metal wrenches

Why stop at wrenches?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Statement from the White House, but not Trump himself..

Now the right will say "see? He condemns the KKK!"

https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/896756014992719873

Edited to include correct link

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 13, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

shot and chaser in one image

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/896765549161709568

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

lmao. ":qq:I'm not for a hateful ideology that actively murdered millions, but if you keep calling me names then I just might join them! :qq:"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Red Baron posted:

The relative distance to their nearest member?

I would guess most Nazis are probably naturalized citizens of the US. Really that and skin color are the only two differences. Otherwise both are reprehensible extremist groups that we'd be better off without.

Correct, so when I say "No Nazis, ever." I dont mean we enact laws, I mean we start the conversation with outlining that there are no substantial differences between these people who are suggesting harm to Americans, it is vitally important to shatter their narrative that those not like them are Not American. .

When they come for them, they come for ALL Americans, all people of all locations. They will not be tolerated. There are some absolutes we can fully confidently embrace and champion, because we do not live in South Park.

Thank you for your time Baron.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Was there any more news about that helicopter that crashed? I remember people were talking about how it may have been caused by someone flying a drone into the rotors.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Quorum posted:

It's also an old person Facebook stand in for underlining or otherwise emphasizing.
No it's not. And if an old person is so daft as to use it then it's pretty easy to tell. You're stupid.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Someone posted this tweet chain earlier and the 'disaffected white man' later tells someone they have to leave the country because their avatar looks Jewish

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

BadOptics posted:

lmao. ":qq:I'm not for a hateful ideology that actively murdered millions, but if you keep calling me names then I just might join them! :qq:"

Wait, why does this sound familiar? Like happened in this thread familiar?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Supercar Gautier posted:

Any useful moral calculus has to consider the interplay of real-world cause and effect to be worth a drat. For instance, fighting to give nazis a venue to exercise their free speech may also foreseeably give them the opportunity to attack, hurt, and kill people. You have to weigh that cost against the benefit of preserving your pristine first amendment ideal.

Enabling nazis to go hogwild because it's the Free Speech thing to do, then trying to wash your hands of the destruction you helped them wreak, is some morality-in-a-vacuum Immanuel Kant rear end categorical imperative bullshit.
My issue with that is that we don't allow the same free speech for everyone we only allow it for certain white groups it seems post 911 every other group except for white supremacists are sensor they are watched by the federal government they are taken to account.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Rigel posted:

It compares extremely well. If you think the swastika will lead to millions of people flocking to their banner, you are crazy.

I guess I would say that you should temper your certainty with actual facts. I'll be pretty happy if Nazi marches dissuade the general population from supporting far right causes/discredit the far right, and get a bunch of Nazis fired, but again... historical precedent doesn't support you here. I think we'll see some research come out of this in the next year or two.

RuanGacho posted:

If they lose their jobs every time they do it, that will end quickly.

So far one dude has lost his job at a libertarian hot dog stand. This isn't a bad metric, but it's not certain to keep happening.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

RuanGacho posted:

Correct, so when I say "No Nazis, ever." I dont mean we enact laws, I mean we start the conversation with outlining that there are no substantial differences between these people who are suggesting harm to Americans, it is vitally important to shatter their narrative that those not like them are Not American. .

When they come for them, they come for ALL Americans, all people of all locations. They will not be tolerated. There are some absolutes we can fully confidently embrace and champion, because we do not live in South Park.

Thank you for your time Baron.

Thanks for the new point of view!

(I honestly expected that to be some elaborate trap or something, phew.)

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

Statement from the White House, but not Trump himself..

Now the right will say "see? He condemns the KKK!"

https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/896756014992719873

Edited to include correct link

He didn't say any of that. I watched it live. "violence from both sides."

I know 99% of you know, but it bears repeating.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KickerOfMice posted:

He didn't say any of that. I watched it live. "violence from both sides."

I know 99% of you know, but it bears repeating.

I know Trump didn't mention the groups by name. It's a spokesman saying "well of course he condemn those groups."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pembroke Fuse posted:

So far one dude has lost his job at a libertarian hot dog stand. This isn't a bad metric, but it's not certain to keep happening.

To clarify, I don't advocate for doxxing people directly to make them lose their jobs, but we should try to develop a societal norm that if you are pictured marching for fascism, and your boss recognizes you, that should be a deal breaker.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Koalas March posted:

Seriously. The next time you feel conflicted about Nazis google 'holocaust' images. The next time you feel conflicted about racists in america and the KKK google lynchings. If you find yourself being conflicted about hate speech and bathroom bills google crime scene photos of any number of victims of senseless violence.

The next time you think about hate speech and bathroom bills, visit a public restroom and check out the swastikas and hate slogans in every stall.

Bathrooms are safe spaces for *whom*, now?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Even if it's true, it still implies the only reason Trump is condemning those groups is because they became violent as opposed to, you know, their horrible worldview.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

coyo7e posted:

No it's not. And if an old person is so daft as to use it then it's pretty easy to tell. You're stupid.

:confused: I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say. Wrapping words in "quote marks" even when not quoting is a common way to indicate emphasis in settings as diverse as hand written signs in grocery stores and the Facebook pages of old people. It is non standard and contrary to the grammatical rules of academic English, but it is a thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, if we're going to be honest, they won yesterday, didn't they? They got carte blanc from the presidency, they got to kill someone and get away with it, they already control the narrative, everyone now fully believes the left was bad and worse than Nazis, and they're going to do it again and have full endorsement by the university to do it again in Florida?

So this is America's Reinstag fire.

I hate to admit it because I think Prester Jane chickenlittles, but she was absolutely correct. Which is horrifying when you consider all the predictions.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

To clarify, I don't advocate for doxxing people directly to make them lose their jobs, but we should try to develop a societal norm that if you are pictured marching for fascism, and your boss recognizes you, that should be a deal breaker.

I'm all for doxxing in the form of identifying the marchers, spreading their image around social networks and sending a polite letter to their employers. If we're told that in a Capitalist society, consumers have the power to advance social policy only through their purchasing power, then this seems like the only way to go.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Covok posted:

So, if we're going to be honest, they won yesterday, didn't they? They got carte blanc from the presidency, they got to kill someone and get away with it, they already control the narrative, everyone now fully believes the left was bad and worse than Nazis, and they're going to do it again and have full endorsement by the university to do it again in Florida?

I hate to admit it because I think Prester Jane chickenlittles, but she was absolutely correct. Which is horrifying when you consider all the predictions.

Nice take.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Covok posted:

everyone now fully believes the left was bad and worse than Nazis, and they're going to do it again and have full endorsement by the university to do it again in Florida?

Yeah, it's blatantly clear that not "everyone" thinks this way in any sense. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a tenth of the amount of backlash there has been in the last 24 hours.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Nobody believes this except the Nazis and their supporters/enablers.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Public bathrooms being covered in hate speech you say?

It's almost a perfect analogy for how they abuse public assets and can only get away with it where no one is looking.

Stay alert.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I'm all for doxxing in the form of identifying the marchers, spreading their image around social networks and sending a polite letter to their employers. If we're told that in a Capitalist society, consumers have the power to advance social policy only through their purchasing power, then this seems like the only way to go.

I'm sensitive to public disclosure because as a government worker almost all details of my life are public record so I have an above average exposure to vigilante attack from coordinated internet mobs, unless I decline to make waves, my life could be ruined by a place like Reddit. Gov workers basically give up their first amendment, but I think there's a difference between marching for genocide and having a political opinion. If there was recourse for people when a random internet mob came after them id be ok with it but as it currently stands there's nothing to prevent the mob from photoshopping you somewhere you weren't and ruining your life. I think I will maintain my stance for privacy even if Nazis on this one. I hope that doesn't make me hypocritical.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 13, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

One of the Post's token Republicans woke up spitting fire at Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...m=.2faa0f7f11a4

rubin has been terrible for a long time and has done little soul-searching about how she contributed to the republican party ending up here, but to her credit she's basically been calling out more and more of the republican party and describing it as probably corrupt beyond redemption

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Covok, ever consider joining a monastery? I think you should.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

well poo poo sucks, but i have a family to protect so at this point i basically have no choice but to join the nazi party. any advice? if any fellow nazi goons can get me a good position (READ: not at a concentration camp) i would really appreciate it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DaveWoo posted:

Nobody believes this except the Nazis and their supporters/enablers.

Which includes the White House itself. They have Aids in the news today claiming that leftist started the violence. How long until that ends up winning the narrative?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It doesn't matter what Trump says at this point. He could come out right now and give an hour long speech denouncing Nazis. The only optics that'll play out is that it requires condemnation from the media, citizens, and other government officials to get him to say "Nazis are bad" after one of them performed an act of terrorism

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

everyone now fully believes the left was bad and worse than Nazis

Shut up, covok.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's cool that I am the biggest anti-trump person ever but if you had told me 6 months ago that 200 days into trump's presidency that a story about us drawing close to a nuclear war would get put on the back burner by a story about nazis literally killing people in the street I'd have said that was over dramatic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

botany posted:

hey thread, here's some feel-good poo poo for you all, lord knows we can all use it.

https://twitter.com/blowticious/status/896744270002094084

something very important to understand: throwing a proper punch requires lining up your hand properly. if done properly, your knuckles, hand bones, and arm bones all form a solid line with most of the force of the punch being absorbed by all of those so you can follow through effectively without hurting your hand or your wrist

basically the front of your hand should form a plane, with the top anchored in your knuckes and the top of your hand forming another plane continuing back through your arm

his hand is tilted up far too much so he's not delivering the full amount of force that a solid punch can give and is probably hurting his wrist and hand, weakening the punch

not faulting the guy, just :eng101: so if you're going to punch a nazi you can do it right

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Covok posted:

Which includes the White House itself. They have Aids in the news today claiming that leftist started the violence. How long until that ends up winning the narrative?

The way you capitalized 'Aids' I thought you were doing some sort of "the cancer in the whitehouse" thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The way you capitalized 'Aids' I thought you were doing some sort of "the cancer in the whitehouse" thing.

I was going for an attempt to insult them by comparing them to disease, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Covok posted:

How did they get away with anything? The guy who drove the car is getting charged with murder, Richard Spencer got arrested, and people are rightfully calling them Nazis all over the place.

• Locked thread