Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

Totally going to disagree with that. This season did an amazing job of tying everything together and the finale was a beautiful coda for the show. I love that they wrapped up the conspiracy stuff in the first 15 minutes and just focused on the sestras living their lives from there.

Yeah I loved the way it ended. Helena's the best.

It wasn't always a great show, but I'm glad I stuck with it and that it got to finally wrap it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Guess what do you think about Ash vs Evil Dead? I don't think I've seen a more violent show on TV, it's great. Even compared to GoT

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Guess what do you think about Ash vs Evil Dead? I don't think I've seen a more violent show on TV, it's great. Even compared to GoT

I really enjoyed it, except for the end of season 2 where the behind the scenes drama became really obvious on the show.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

muscles like this! posted:

I really enjoyed it, except for the end of season 2 where the behind the scenes drama became really obvious on the show.

What happened with it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The showrunner Craig DiGregorio and EP/co-owner of the Evil Dead IP Robert Tapert butted heads over the direction of the finale which lead DiGregorio walking away from the show and the finale getting an obvious last minute rewrite. So stuff that was set up in the previous episode didn't pay off and the tone changed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, no wonder they're in debt

Every company is in debt. Apple is carrying more than $100 billion in debt.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Plus some of the debt stated in the article that caused all the chatter is future obligations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus some of the debt stated in the article that caused all the chatter is future obligations.

Yep. Netflix is only carrying something like $4.78 billion of actual debt, most of which was incurred from is massive international rollout and expansion over the past eighteen months. The other ~$15 billion is simply cash payouts it has to make in the future for content, and that's looking as far out as like 2024.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Haven't seen any mention of Atypical yet, am I the only one who enjoyed it? I found it pretty drat funny, although I skipped through much of the parts about the mother but that's because I don't like Jennifer Jason Leigh. TWAT!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Going to try to get to the Orphan Black finale before work, but overall I agree this season was pretty drat good. Nowhere near as good as the first, or even second, season, but that they managed to tie together all the nonsense from seasons three and four (which weren't necessarily terrible, but they started to spread the conspiracy way too thin, across too many threads) in a mostly satisfying way is really impressive to me. I never expected it to stick the landing at all, and for me it has done the best it could with what the previous two seasons gave it.

Either way, it was worth the uneven journey for Maslany's performances. The show was a mess in the middle, but it had some great acting throughout from her and the supporting cast.

I also might be a little biased, this is one of few Canadian shows to have such good production, mostly very good writing, and to find an audience and appeal outside the country.

e: also seconding the Helena love. Allison is probably my favourite clone, but by juuust a little. Helena is amazing, and my love might be a little biased again-- not only do we share a name, but it's pronounced the same way, and having a Helena with the same pronunciation as mine is loving rare in life in my experience let alone on tv or movies. Also I have ladywood for the accent ...

fake e2: Accidentally spoiled myself on what Helena names her memoirs, bitch pulled a Rory Gilmore and that is hilarious to me.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 13, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL that Netflix spent $90 million on a movie that won't get them any new subscribers.

Netflix says that their Adam Sandler movies are some of their most watched original productions they've done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Netflix says that their Adam Sandler movies are some of their most watched original productions they've done.

Well that's it, I'm cancelling my subscription.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Rhyno posted:

Well that's it, I'm cancelling my subscription.

The Ridiculous Six is still the most-watched movie in a 30-day period in Netflix's history. The Do-Over and Sandy Wexler are in second and third place.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

The Ridiculous Six is still the most-watched movie in a 30-day period in Netflix's history. The Do-Over and Sandy Wexler are in second and third place.
As Charlottesville reminded us, people are trash.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That seems like a reasonable comparison.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

spudsbuckley posted:

Just finished watching the last episode of Orphan Black.

Boy howdy did that show go to poo poo. This last season should not have happened, it was a loving mess.

I really think the show just doubled down too much on the Conspiracy Theory and backstab after backstab. It was at it's best when it was just Sarah pretending to be beth trying to find out more information, other sisters pretending to be the others, etc, along with the individual side stories.

Donnie and Allison best couple for life though.

Regarding the finale, why am I spoilering this? I'm honestly shocked no one died. There was no twists, it was the most uneventful finale I think I've ever seen. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything special. Then again, I guess when they did try risky things we got Tony and no one ever needs that again, I shuddered when they mentioned him in the episode.

I was expecting Felix's "surprise guest" to be Paul or someone completely out of left field. Oh well, I still enjoy the show overall because the early episodes.

Also I had no idea which clone Tatiana Maslany actually sounded the most like, she totally earned her Emmy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Timby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59cg62wqpY

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

re: Orphan Black

I was amazed the only main character to bite it this year was S. I guess MK died, but she was such a secondary clone anyway. I thought they would actually go for it and kill Helena, but that probably would have been too dark a turn for them, even if they had the babies survive it.

I would be glad to see Maslany earn another Emmy, she deserves all the praise possible. But ffs if Keri Russell doesn't get one before The Americans ends, I will be furious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Orphan Black seems like exactly the kind of show that was so besotted with its characters it would want to give them all warm happy endings whether they're deserved or not so none of this surprises me at all

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

esperterra posted:

re: Orphan Black

I was amazed the only main character to bite it this year was S. I guess MK died, but she was such a secondary clone anyway. I thought they would actually go for it and kill Helena, but that probably would have been too dark a turn for them, even if they had the babies survive it.

Orphan Black
I thought for sure Cosima was going to bite it. Or Delphine. They set up the tragic romance, fully expected the deathbed goodbye

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Vodos posted:

Haven't seen any mention of Atypical yet, am I the only one who enjoyed it? I found it pretty drat funny, although I skipped through much of the parts about the mother but that's because I don't like Jennifer Jason Leigh. TWAT!

Assuming there isn't a joke I'm missing here, :stare:.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Judging from that post I'm guessing that poster has no interest in whether it's an accurate depiction of autism or anything

but either way Jennifer Jason Leigh rules in every way so wtf

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Orphan Black seems like exactly the kind of show that was so besotted with its characters it would want to give them all warm happy endings whether they're deserved or not so none of this surprises me at all

To be honest it's quite refreshing to have a show that ends with all the main characters getting a positive conclusion to their stories. I wouldn't want it for every show but I felt like it worked for this one. Each one of the sestras went through so much poo poo over the course of the show they'd each earned the happy ending

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that tonight is the premier of the Epix adaptation of Get Shorty, which stars Chris O'Dowd and Ray Romano. I won't be watching it live but I'm going to give the first two episodes a shot at least.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Medullah posted:

Orphan Black
I thought for sure Cosima was going to bite it. Or Delphine. They set up the tragic romance, fully expected the deathbed goodbye

Yeah, same, especially after having them reunite and work past the deceptions that plagued their relationship before Delphine 'died' the first time. Cosima dying after all that work to get the cure would be a bit much, maybe, but the whole season I figured Delphine had a target on her back.

I don't mind the happy ending, either. It just surprised me that all the main clones Maslany played survived from season one to the end. It was only ever the secondary clones who died in any given season, wasn't it?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

Reminder that tonight is the premier of the Epix adaptation of Get Shorty, which stars Chris O'Dowd and Ray Romano. I won't be watching it live but I'm going to give the first two episodes a shot at least.

I don't get EPIX -- my system doesn't carry it -- but that seems like such weird casting I almost have to see it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

esperterra posted:

Yeah, same, especially after having them reunite and work past the deceptions that plagued their relationship before Delphine 'died' the first time. Cosima dying after all that work to get the cure would be a bit much, maybe, but the whole season I figured Delphine had a target on her back.

I don't mind the happy ending, either. It just surprised me that all the main clones Maslany played survived from season one to the end. It was only ever the secondary clones who died in any given season, wasn't it?

The only clones I can think of that died were Beth in the premiere, the 1 or 2 that Helena killed, and MK. Tons of Castors died (well, all of them) but that's all I can think of of the Ledas.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

As Charlottesville reminded us, people are trash.

Maybe don't compare people liking bad movies you don't like to literal Nazis. Seems a bit over the top to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Maybe don't compare people liking bad movies you don't like to literal Nazis. Seems a bit over the top to me.

Yeah save that for the BSS tv thread!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So in less depressing news, I just saw the new Ducktails and it was really good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Glad to hear it didn't destroy your childhood and rape your memories.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Glad to hear it didn't destroy your childhood and rape your memories.

I hope you're not implying I'm one of those people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the first ep of the new DuckTales is awesome. The new cast completely rule - very happy with Tennant's portrayal

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah the first ep of the new DuckTales is awesome. The new cast completely rule - very happy with Tennant's portrayal

He sounds like he's having so much fun with it! That not-Kristen Schaal lady that was on Scrubs towards the end voicing Webby was real good too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watching Malcolm in the Middle and remembering stuff from Breaking Bad, Bryan Cranston sure likes being naked huh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

He sounds like he's having so much fun with it! That not-Kristen Schaal lady that was on Scrubs towards the end voicing Webby was real good too.

Kate Micucci.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

X-O posted:

drat, these movies got me
I hate these movies more than the Nazis

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

magiccarpet posted:

The Sinner is pretty great and is doing a solid job of passing the time until Mr Robot is back

Just watched the first Episode and while I wasn't entirely on board after the first half of the episode, I'll definitely watch the rest now. I really hope the story is not gonna turn out stupid. The hyper religious mom has me a bit worried.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never seen the original, so I can't really offer any comparisons, but I really enjoyed DuckTales. It doesn't look like they're going to be doing any Gravity Falls style heavy serialization (though there is a hint at a season arc at the end), but hey, I'm down for an adventure-a-week show.

Anyone else notice the maybe-cameo from another Disney property?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It definitely felt a lot like Gravity Falls. Even the way the jokes were presented.

• Locked thread