Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cleaned out the d200 belias torment by saving up 3 charges of agrias' imperil and unloading on him w/ RW WoL CSB and he just loving melted. Didn't even really bother attacking the demons aside from that, and didn't have to bother with his petrify bullshit because he died so fast. I feel like I could probably do the d250 without issue, but the d300 is probably still outside of my reach for now. I lost 2 damage medals, probably because i just brought shellga/wall and not proshellga/wall

Now to do the d200 giant gigas for the monk motes....

Side question: what should I spend these knight motes on? First time I've gotten them and I used some on agrias to unlock ageis strike, but idk who else to spend them on. Should I spend some on WoL/Ceodore (they're on my a-team, I have both of their bsbs, but no other relics for them) so they can use the 6* ability, or should I spend it on someone else and then shatter the 6* for crystals? I don't have a whole lot of 6* crystals as it is, so I can't really hone it.

What would you suggest? I was also thinking of spending the monk motes on Zell (bsb) and Raijin (bsb/ssb). I potentially also could spend it on Jecht (bsb) but I don't really use him yet because he's low level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

AstraSage posted:

On one hand, XIII has the least amount of Unique Trash among the Newcomer's Luckies. On the other hand, XIII is gonna be tied with VII as the most common realm in the DU LDs for the next Six Months...

You can definitely wait.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Just say no.

Don't do it.

Yeah, you're both definitely right.

Goddamn does this game test your willpower and patience.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
A day and a half of running Ovelia through the VII xp dungeons... level 56 healer for the 200 CM. Sounds questionable but let's try.

I entered the boss with full SB gauge on Agrias, Cid and Ramza with Proshellga, Wall and Shout all up. Ovelia used defend once and the fight was over before I needed her to act.

Well, with that out of the way it's finally time to level Shantotto and the rest of the XI crew for the upcoming CM.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I finally did the FF2 200 torment. Mage team got it done but it was annoying and difficult enough that I don't really think I can do the 250. I'm just going to let it go and wait til it comes back around after some more power creep.

The FF7 XP dungeon owns though. Basically any physical damage character at level 80 or higher can auto battle solo it so that's what I'm doing with all my stamina. poo poo owns.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I finally did the FF2 200 torment. Mage team got it done but it was annoying and difficult enough that I don't really think I can do the 250. I'm just going to let it go and wait til it comes back around after some more power creep.

The FF7 XP dungeon owns though. Basically any physical damage character at level 80 or higher can auto battle solo it so that's what I'm doing with all my stamina. poo poo owns.

The secret to the non-JS II Torment is to blitz down the thunder gigas asap. Not only is he by far the mot dangerous of the three, he also as over 100K less health.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ZiegeDame posted:

The secret to the non-JS II Torment is to blitz down the thunder gigas asap. Not only is he by far the mot dangerous of the three, he also as over 100K less health.

My biggest concern is actually the counters from the ice gigas. Those hit hard even with wall and shell up. Nobody died but I needed both Vanille BSB RWs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I finally (nominally) finished up my big series of Magicite Dungeon prep guides over on Reddit, for those of you allergic to Reddit who nevertheless are interested in gearing up for Magicites. The earlier guides are a bit rough (I switched formats partway through) and they're older so they don't mention more recent relics and banners or the ability revamp, but they should at least give you a start, and the holy/dark/non-elemental ones are quite fresh. I still have one more guide I want to write, a sort of How Do I Magicite Dungeon thing, which will be linked in the index with the others, plus I want to freshen up the older guides a bit, switch them to the new format, update the relic lists if not the banner lists, etc.

Anyway, for those who are interested, there you are.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zurai posted:

I finally (nominally) finished up my big series of Magicite Dungeon prep guides over on Reddit, for those of you allergic to Reddit who nevertheless are interested in gearing up for Magicites. The earlier guides are a bit rough (I switched formats partway through) and they're older so they don't mention more recent relics and banners or the ability revamp, but they should at least give you a start, and the holy/dark/non-elemental ones are quite fresh. I still have one more guide I want to write, a sort of How Do I Magicite Dungeon thing, which will be linked in the index with the others, plus I want to freshen up the older guides a bit, switch them to the new format, update the relic lists if not the banner lists, etc.

Anyway, for those who are interested, there you are.

That's Vessel of Fate for OK BSB in english, looks like you put the JP name there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's Vessel of Fate for OK BSB in english, looks like you put the JP name there.

The index post was written before OK BSB was released in Global, I think. Any time I don't have an official translation I default to the JP fan translation. It's one of those things I intend to clean up when I get the time (possibly next weekend).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Elephant Ambush posted:

My biggest concern is actually the counters from the ice gigas. Those hit hard even with wall and shell up. Nobody died but I needed both Vanille BSB RWs.

Save Ice gigas for last. If you've got any Fire or Earth SBs, point them at Ice Gigas while you're focusing Fire. Bring a Summoner with Fatbird for good measure. Solo Ice shouldn't be too much trouble with Wall/Shell/Magic Breakdance unless you're procing like 4 counters a turn. And don't forget your elemental resists, Ice is top priority, since if you've got decent burn you should be able to take out Thunder with only one or two thunderbolts getting off. Another thing to remember is the AI on that fight is 100% scripted, so if you keep track well enough you can know exactly what attacks each gigas is going to use when.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ZiegeDame posted:

Save Ice gigas for last. If you've got any Fire or Earth SBs, point them at Ice Gigas while you're focusing Fire. Bring a Summoner with Fatbird for good measure. Solo Ice shouldn't be too much trouble with Wall/Shell/Magic Breakdance unless you're procing like 4 counters a turn. And don't forget your elemental resists, Ice is top priority, since if you've got decent burn you should be able to take out Thunder with only one or two thunderbolts getting off. Another thing to remember is the AI on that fight is 100% scripted, so if you keep track well enough you can know exactly what attacks each gigas is going to use when.

Yeah I saved ice gigas for last and tried to minimize AoE but once it got down to just the ice gigas the counters hurt a lot and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to soak that kind of damage. I literally have 2 FF2 relics and 1 FF2 accessory. My highest level FF2 character is in the 50s. I'll wait.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I managed to do the remainder of the Gigas fights today. Those counter Blizzaras really are no joke; especially if you're like me and using a fully-decked out Squall, who will hit Dualcasts and trigger two counterattacks in a row. It feels real bad. But I managed to make it work by using SBs whenever possible to toss at him. Of course, my team is pretty good, but these Torment 250s still manage to scare me quite a bit.

I'll try Belias on Monday I think. I have ideas... but I don't know how to execute them really. Hopefully it actually works out for me.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Finally got everyone to 80 or higher! The last few were the T0 folks, Shelke, and some useless generics but I had enough growth eggs to pull through. (Intensive orbfest farming did the brunt of the work on this.) So now I can actually get around to leveling 20-30 folks with MC3s, and to using the remaining 15 I have stored. Hopefully I can finish most of them off after the next orbfest...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I saved ice gigas for last and tried to minimize AoE but once it got down to just the ice gigas the counters hurt a lot and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to soak that kind of damage. I literally have 2 FF2 relics and 1 FF2 accessory. My highest level FF2 character is in the 50s. I'll wait.

I had 1 FF2 relic that I actually used - that Gaia Blade + and Demon Axe didn't get any use in a mage team, after all.

Assuming you have native Wall: RW Maria's BSB. Pop a faithga or two, and have your two best mages use Meteor XVI. Assuming your best mage team is at Lv99, you should make short work of them even in one cast.

If you don't have native wall: hone up Titan as best you can, grab Valigarmanda. This is one of the few cases where the CMD2 on Alphinaud's BSB could be helpful. Don't pop the RW Walls until you've already gone into the boss fight, but make sure they're up for the entire thing. Maybe bring along Celes or Exdeath if you have their Grand Cross skills to cut down on the single target spam.

Either way: Don't neglect dances. Bring along a dancer with Heathen Sarabande and Multi Break and the damage will be a lot more manageable. If you have to load up on one elemental resistance over any other, favor Ice, then Lightning. Gigas Armlets, obviously, will help.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 13, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

I had 1 FF2 relic that I actually used - that Gaia Blade + and Demon Axe didn't get any use in a mage team, after all.

Assuming you have native Wall: RW Maria's BSB. Pop a faithga or two, and have your two best mages use Meteor XVI. Assuming your best mage team is at Lv99, you should make short work of them even in one cast.

If you don't have native wall: hone up Titan as best you can, grab Valigarmanda. This is one of the few cases where the CMD2 on Alphinaud's BSB could be helpful. Don't pop the RW Walls until you've already gone into the boss fight, but make sure they're up for the entire thing. Maybe bring along Celes or Exdeath if you have their Grand Cross skills to cut down on the single target spam.

Either way: Don't neglect dances. Bring along a dancer with Heathen Sarabande and Multi Break and the damage will be a lot more manageable. If you have to load up on one elemental resistance over any other, favor Ice, then Lightning. Gigas Armlets, obviously, will help.

I have native wall and I will definitely need to bring along a medica BSB. Bringing dances means only 2 mage slots. I guess I could bring OK and Krile for stacking +MAG buffs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress yeah

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress yeah

:hfive:

It's so much better at R2.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Finally getting around to the Torment dungeons and godammit why did they have to give us bravery motes for the Gigas fight and hide wisdom behind the CM? Didn't we just get a big pile of bravery motes not too long ago? My mages are fuckin' dying here, I'm going to have like 5 physical characters legend dived before I finish a single mage.

edit: do summon abilities not trigger the Ice Gigas counter? Valigarmanda didn't seem to proc it but I can't tell if it was a fluke or what. The tip says "always counters" so.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 13, 2017

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

edit: do summon abilities not trigger the Ice Gigas counter? Valigarmanda didn't seem to proc it but I can't tell if it was a fluke or what. The tip says "always counters" so.

Not triggering 95% of the Counters is a feature of Summons, hence why people recommend Alphie's Burst paired with Valigarmanda, Titan and/or Fat Chocobo when dealing with the Gigases...

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 13, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
XII torment is up next - AKA hi I'm XII and I laugh at all but one of the elements, including over half of your native realm's specialties. Here it's Mateus who's going to invalidate a third of your offense if you're using Basch/Gabranth/Balthier/Vayne. Weak to Lightning at least for those with Ashe relics. I think D300 shouldn't be hard for me, more worried about the D250 if anything.

Also not looking forward to the FFV D300 whenever it comes out. Similar story to the Gigases but no common shared weakness, and you can't just kill them off one at a time like the Gigases because of Delta Attack (although the time threshold is quite generous).

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Despite the discussion on how terrible these Newcomer banners could be, I can't resist the siren song of a half price draw.

Jecht's Unique Boostga SB and TWO BSBs.

Auron's Bushido... and Tiny Bee.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

XII torment is up next - AKA hi I'm XII and I laugh at all but one of the elements, including over half of your native realm's specialties. Here it's Mateus who's going to invalidate a third of your offense if you're using Basch/Gabranth/Balthier/Vayne. Weak to Lightning at least for those with Ashe relics. I think D300 shouldn't be hard for me, more worried about the D250 if anything.

Mateus actually, surprisingly, doesn't resist Holy or Dark at all, so Basch, Gabranth, and Vayne can play. I do agree with the "gently caress FF12 bosses" sentiment, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

AstraSage posted:

Not triggering 95% of the Counters is a feature of Summons, hence why people recommend Alphie's Burst paired with Valigarmanda, Titan and/or Fat Chocobo when dealing with the Gigases...

Man I have been playing an embarrassingly long time to have never noticed this. Though tbh I haven't had much use for summons in a long time outside of some niche uses, I have so many AoE BSBs at this point that they are really lagging behind except for the ones I only have a couple hones on.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Uncle Ulty posted:

Despite the discussion on how terrible these Newcomer banners could be, I can't resist the siren song of a half price draw.

My favorite thing about having both of Yuna's BSBs is finishing bosses off with Tiny Bee. BANG BANG BANG!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not doing a pull on this one. Learned my lesson.

I only really need USBs and elemental chains. What's the best upcoming banner for those?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
On the topic of not triggering counters, Tiny Bee's command 1 is NAT type so it gets around counters and attack type-shields like XI's Shadow Lord. Ninja magic, too. Though maybe there's some niche cases I'm forgetting about

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iPodschun posted:

On the topic of not triggering counters, Tiny Bee's command 1 is NAT type so it gets around counters and attack type-shields like XI's Shadow Lord. Ninja magic, too. Though maybe there's some niche cases I'm forgetting about

It depends on the counter. Some trigger on physical attacks, some trigger on Black/White magic, some on specific skillsets or elements. Some trigger on "any HP damage taken" and Ice Gigas's Blizzaga is one of those. Summons just don't trip counters in the same way SBs don't.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I just looked up Tiny Bee. Wouldn't this be good if you tricked Yuna out as DPS and gave her +MAG and summons?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
"Better than nothing" might be more accurate even with Mag gear. CMD1 has less potency than 3* summons. If your hones are trash garbage it can do some work still and the hilariously weak CMD2 medica is still a medica.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Meh, compare it to any of the other summon or healing BSB's. Heck, compare it to Garnet's Imperil Lightning BSB, which is also a healing/summoner BSB. It just suffers from being an old BSB relic while also being a hybrid relic. It is better for magic damage than for healing, so if you really want her as a summoner, there is that. It's a pretty niche use relic, though, since it relies on having no one better for that role.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Uncle Ulty posted:

Read this, pulled for Tiny Bee.

I missed it, but got Bushido, a haste-ga unique for Titus I'll probably never use and a probable dupe doll for Lulu.

Worth it, I'd say.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Tiny bee is decent stats but the burst itself is best relegated to being a humiliating finisher in MP. In this situation, it excels

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

NaanViolence posted:

Not doing a pull on this one. Learned my lesson.

I only really need USBs and elemental chains. What's the best upcoming banner for those?

Probably the Super Fest that should be appearing along with the Magicite Dungeons...

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Tiny Bee has one role and that is providing the best possible weapon for USB/Dancing Rikku

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Tiny Bee has one role and that is providing the best possible weapon for USB/Dancing Rikku

Also works well for buff-oriented support like Sazh!

TIL Onion Knight can equip guns? :psyduck:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ETB posted:

Also works well for buff-oriented support like Sazh!

TIL Onion Knight can equip guns? :psyduck:

Onion Knight can equip any weapon except character/realm-specific weird ones (Blitzballs, Gambling Gear, Dolls, Hairpins, Gunarms). Even though guns weren't in FF3.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Gravity is bullshit.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I pulled on the FFVII banner and got Gatling Gun (Not impressed) and Cid's Goggles (Alright armor at least). Not gonna pull for FFX, I'll just save for the FFV banner.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Gravity is bullshit.

Extremely agreed.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Couple random questions -

I made affliction break for the FFT torment fights. Those fights have been the most challenging content for me in months, despite my extremely stacked realm squad.

What's the duration on Affliction Break? Is rank one enough or should I hone it?

Secondly, are Ultima and Neo Bahamut any good now that they've been buffed? I don't know if I should make Valigarmanda or Bro Bahamut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NaanViolence posted:

Couple random questions -

I made affliction break for the FFT torment fights. Those fights have been the most challenging content for me in months, despite my extremely stacked realm squad.

What's the duration on Affliction Break? Is rank one enough or should I hone it?

Secondly, are Ultima and Neo Bahamut any good now that they've been buffed? I don't know if I should make Valigarmanda or Bro Bahamut.

15 Seconds - so as long as your normal burst mode. Honing it isn't a bad idea, but it's not a super high priority overall if you're clearing fights fast.

Ultima and Neo Bahamut are usable, but being non-elemental really hurts them as far as damage potential. The reason Valigarmanda and Meltdown get so hyped in comparison is because you can boost their damage with equipment/enelement/imperils, and because they hit three different elements (Fire/Ice/Lightning and Fire/Wind/Earth, respectively) so they're good at smacking weaknesses.

• Locked thread