Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I finally got around to seeing Your Name and it's, by a gargantuan margin, the best Shinkai I've seen. Shinkai finally seemed to get that people don't just want incessantly dry bittersweet stories carried entirely by their animation and actually gave it a bit of a heart. That it's a movie that he seems to not actually like himself is kind of hilarious but also possibly telling, I guess.

I'm not so sure that he doesn't like it - it seemed more like people kept asking him how it stacked up compared to the best of Ghibli and kept calling him the next Miyazaki and stuff, and he was just going "Jesus, calm down everyone." Agreed that it's the best Shinkai movie by a mile, though. Manages to have everything that makes his movies good while mostly avoiding the problems they usually have that keeps them from being great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna say the discourse digibro leads to is anything but interesting or insightful and in fact does very little to educate people on anything about the industry or studios or the actual problems with how creators are paid

i watched his old video about pacing in anime and while i totally disagreed with what he said about kekkai sensen it wasn't a bad video but it sounds like more recently he's gotten really lovely and basically all i ever hear from people in relation to his videos is complete poo poo
all digibro does is let morons parrot his dumb opinions

and he doesn't know his poo poo at all, he has zero idea about how studios work or what actually makes a show tick, all his analysis is insanely surface level

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

digital

brony

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

smenj posted:

I'm not so sure that he doesn't like it - it seemed more like people kept asking him how it stacked up compared to the best of Ghibli and kept calling him the next Miyazaki and stuff, and he was just going "Jesus, calm down everyone." Agreed that it's the best Shinkai movie by a mile, though. Manages to have everything that makes his movies good while mostly avoiding the problems they usually have that keeps them from being great.
It's a pretty drat great movie.

an actual dog posted:

I have no opinion on anime youtubers
Fair enough. If you change your mind, though, the Canipa Effect is probably the best of the bunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjiMuBusCRE

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wark Say posted:

Fair enough. If you change your mind, though, the Canipa Effect is probably the best of the bunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjiMuBusCRE

Nah, Canipa's good but Super Eyepatch Wolf is the true best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

all digibro does is let morons parrot his dumb opinions

and he doesn't know his poo poo at all, he has zero idea about how studios work or what actually makes a show tick, all his analysis is insanely surface level

He'd fit in well here

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh, abso-loving-lutely. That dude never fails to deliver, especially because it always feels like most of his videos come from a really personal place. The videos he made on Togashi's works feel just so drat inviting.

Namtab posted:

He'd fit in well here
Go home, Namtab. It's obvious that you currently suffer from a serious baps-deficiency and are talking gibberish. We care about you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The anime forum is my home

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SuperEyepatchWolf creates his videos because Woolie from Super Best Friends set him off on a tangent regarding HxH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDOHkgYbHPM

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

yea I read dead homers society too sleepy bro

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Why do I need a thirteen minute video to tell me that Perfect Blue is terrifying? I do not understand youtube.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Who needs youtubers to tell them anythign about anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Xelkelvos posted:

Who needs youtubers to tell them anythign about anime

well it's cool when a guy can actually tell you how studios work and also explain the background and history of notable animators who get zero attention from the general public

it's dumb when it's just a guy making a several hour long video series on why sword art online is bad

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDWkt8wcYh8 Anohana dub coming to Blu-ray with English dub October 31st. :ghost:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

How's Knights & Magic?

I've been watching the first episode, and so far I'm enjoying it. I like the fact that the MC isn't just thrust into the new world as an adult but has to grow again. Does it stay interesting?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

It's a fun fantasy mecha show. I like thats its more focused on the mecha development than action so far. It's been on constant Fast Forward through, to the point they are skipping character stuff and have a narrator going over the plot points.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

The Colonel posted:

well it's cool when a guy can actually tell you how studios work and also explain the background and history of notable animators who get zero attention from the general public

it's dumb when it's just a guy making a several hour long video series on why sword art online is bad

I watched Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos on good character design and realistic villains and both were very good and insightful

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jigoku San posted:

It's a fun fantasy mecha show. I like thats its more focused on the mecha development than action so far. It's been on constant Fast Forward through, to the point they are skipping character stuff and have a narrator going over the plot points.

I definitely love the fact that nobody in the world quite knows how to deal with an Otaku of his level. All the old councillors think he's after prestige and power when he couldn't give a rat's fart about any of that. "I can present this to the king then?" "Huh? Sure! That way I don't have to explain it twice!" made me crack up.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I finally watched past the first ep of Princess Principal (though only through ep 3). It's good. The 2nd ep in particular was great, and I'm very excited to watch more.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Aaaaand I'm caught up with K&M.

Fun show, I look forward to seeing how it progresses from here. It does feel rushed but it's not exactly easy to portray 10 months of engineering in an interesting light so I can at least understand why it timeskips so frequently.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first couple episodes were absurdly rushed but since then it has been pretty okay

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj9kQi5J6cE

motorcycles are back

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Centaur's Worries continues to be really weird and hard to pin down. The latest episode starts with some standard slice-of-life school comedy scenes about the MC's hair (in which we learn that the halos of the angel folks are in fact formed by a single, extremely long hair), but then it ends with a fake exorcism and a deadly serious conversation between a father and his daughter about how the former is wasting his life. And on top of that, they keep alluding to how messed up their society is, like with the middle school teacher who was arrested for racism because he didn't believe that the MC is a natural redhead. The comedic timing being always slightly off, even in the straight-up comedy scenes, makes it even harder to determine what is and is not supposed to be a joke. I wouldn't call it a great show exactly, but it does make for a weirdly intriguing mix, and it's one of the few shows this season that I'll watch as soon a new episode is released.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Knights and Magic is really good at giving the side characters ins anely badass scenes, most other el en shows would exclusively suck off the em cee

I mean, during the mock battle, the enemy team fought the overpowered MC team to a standstill using tactics and exploiting weaknesses even after having half the team ganked by surprise weapons. And the King even got to suplex someone.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it's too bad the side characters in K&M really aren't that great as side characters overall. Addy might just win the all-time record for lowest score on the bechdel test because seriously I cannot remember any significant lines that weren't her being thirsty for Ernie, and Kid just kinda, sighs at her a lot, and is Maximum There

the three senpai knights are chill though, but they really don't get a lot of focus and I can barely remember their faces, and I hope we see more of that Occident saboteur lady as a main antagonist. I thought the princess lady would be more important judging by her first ep showing, but she really hasn't been that prominent at all

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

WTF do you think the Bechdel test is.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
An all time low on a test which only has a pass or fail outcome.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
12 Angry Men got a real bad Bechdel score

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Madoka Magica easily passes the Bechdel test. And Flip Flappers.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Strange Quark posted:

An all time low on a test which only has a pass or fail outcome.

it was a joke to emphasize that she really does not do anything except fawn over our hero incessantly

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyra_Solune posted:

it was a joke to emphasize that she really does not do anything except fawn over our hero incessantly

Tell better jokes.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The internet's no place for jokes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Araki posted:

Bullshit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Araki posted:

But enough about your posting history.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Today's Isekai Restaurant episode:

I want curry

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm an episode or two behind and I want a katsudon /and/ a pudding

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Araki posted:

Centaur's Worries continues to be really weird and hard to pin down. The latest episode starts with some standard slice-of-life school comedy scenes about the MC's hair (in which we learn that the halos of the angel folks are in fact formed by a single, extremely long hair), but then it ends with a fake exorcism and a deadly serious conversation between a father and his daughter about how the former is wasting his life. And on top of that, they keep alluding to how messed up their society is, like with the middle school teacher who was arrested for racism because he didn't believe that the MC is a natural redhead. The comedic timing being always slightly off, even in the straight-up comedy scenes, makes it even harder to determine what is and is not supposed to be a joke. I wouldn't call it a great show exactly, but it does make for a weirdly intriguing mix, and it's one of the few shows this season that I'll watch as soon a new episode is released.

Definitely a shift in tone for the second half of this episode. A bit of 'not everything is as great as it's supposed to be' coming through. I was starting to wonder if Kyouko's constant commentary about the weird PC Laws stemmed more from her father writing about them all the time, but giving a student a hard time because you don't think their hair color is natural sounds like something that would draw administrative action anyway.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Clean Freak Aoyama-kun should not be allowed to be as good as it is. The latest episode killed me.

He just wanted to high five someone. :unsmith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Netflix finally has the second half of LWA, at least in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I would now like a steamed potato and a bowl of chicken curry

• Locked thread