Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature might not make $10 million this weekend, bad because it's opening in 4000+ theaters and is looking to be the worst opening ever for such a large premiere.
Was there any promotion for it? I literally heard nothing about it until I saw the title on Fandango the other day when looking for upcoming new movies and groaned at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Did they get Psy again for the sequel?

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

There is not going to be a Nut Job 3. And it will be glorious.

There is always the small chance WWE swoops in and makes the Nut Job 3, like they did with Surfs Up. Small, but crazier things have happened.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cheapsteaks posted:

There is always the small chance WWE swoops in and makes the Nut Job 3, like they did with Surfs Up. Small, but crazier things have happened.

That's the movie where Otter Vince McMahon fantasizes about sucking milk out of a live fish's rear end in a top hat right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Guy Mann posted:

Did they get Psy again for the sequel?
No, but they did get Jackie Chan

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That's the movie where Otter Vince McMahon fantasizes about sucking milk out of a live fish's rear end in a top hat right?

Yep.

Fish milk.

Sucking.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cheapsteaks posted:

Yep.

Fish milk.

Sucking.

For context here's the scene where a fish gets it's rear end in a top hat sucked in the hopes that milk will come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0fB7Zn6k40

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was there any promotion for it? I literally heard nothing about it until I saw the title on Fandango the other day when looking for upcoming new movies and groaned at it.

There was an IMDB.com skin. That's about all I saw.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's run several promos during commercial breaks in the past week or two.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I've only ever seen a trailer for Not Job 2 in front of Despicable 3. Nowhere else. I assume they bombarded children's television but they weren't aiming for a wide audience.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Either way there was a loaded gun literally pointed at him, by us law standards it was justifiably self defense.

Beyond that, James Bond often shoots first and is also a roguish hero. Hell, the current Bond is introduced killing a man he knows has an empty gun.

Star Wars really rejects your new trumps the old thesis. Vader is exactly right when he says the Death Star pales in comparison to the Force. Technology fails to desire to destroy it ("just impacted in the surface") while mysticism succeeds. The Storm troopers are dumbfounded watching knights fight and Obi routinely clowns on them. And the followers of the Old Ways remain the most important pieces in the battlefield in the final space fight. Vader acts with impunity and flair within the rigid military, choking out fools and having a prima Donna spaceship.

The Empire straight up are failures despite overwhelming force and organization. They lose dogfights to heaps of junk and lose their ultimate weapon to a farm boy with a single day of magic training.

Edit: what I'm getting at is Vader made some valid points.

Unrelated, but is anyone finding it hilarious that they're describing the newest Annabelle as being the scariest in the "Conjuring Universe" like that's a whole genre?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what I wanna know is, who's the joker who dropped the ball by not calling the movie The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nut-ure

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ape Agitator posted:

Unrelated, but is anyone finding it hilarious that they're describing the newest Annabelle as being the scariest in the "Conjuring Universe" like that's a whole genre?

Yeah it should obviously be the Spooktacular Cinematic Booniverse

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

them trying to make the doll itself look scary has the effect of making it less scary than the ""true"" story.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's probably some sort of rights issue where they aren't allow to make it look like a real Raggedy Ann doll without getting sued so they decided to make it look completly different and also silly looking. James Wan seems to have a fear of dolls though, it's like Fulci with eye trauma or Cronenberg with the body/sex.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's probably some sort of rights issue where they aren't allow to make it look like a real Raggedy Ann doll without getting sued so they decided to make it look completly different and also silly looking. James Wan seems to have a fear of dolls though, it's like Fulci with eye trauma or Cronenberg with the body/sex.
I think the real story was too dumb so they tried to make ir scarier.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Saw only one ad for Nut Job 2 and it did the usual "look, it this celebrity in this movie!".

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

them trying to make the doll itself look scary has the effect of making it less scary than the ""true"" story.

I saw the original Annabelle in the theater for free and still wanted my money back. God drat that movie was boring and I have hated the design of that loving doll since the promo shots for The Conjuring.

I don't understand why no one knows Hollywood seems to understand that dolls are just scary on their own.

Dolly Dearest, which is a terrible movie, has a more convincing evil doll than Annabelle. It's why the original Childs Play works. The regular Good Guy dolls look fairly non threating.

There is no plausible reason beyond "Because the script said so" for anyone to want to purchase that loving Annabelle doll in those movies.

I really hate that doll is what I'm saying.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah another evil doll movie that botches itself so badly it is somehow worse than Black Devil Doll From Hell, quite a feat.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
What a lovely weekend for movies.

Wish the Dolby & Imax near me would go back to Spider-Man and other movies I missed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

joylessdivision posted:

I saw the original Annabelle in the theater for free and still wanted my money back. God drat that movie was boring and I have hated the design of that loving doll since the promo shots for The Conjuring.

I don't understand why no one knows Hollywood seems to understand that dolls are just scary on their own.

Dolly Dearest, which is a terrible movie, has a more convincing evil doll than Annabelle. It's why the original Childs Play works. The regular Good Guy dolls look fairly non threating.

There is no plausible reason beyond "Because the script said so" for anyone to want to purchase that loving Annabelle doll in those movies.

Magic had one of the creepiest dolls, well marionette really.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A movie like Child's Play but the doll's name is Dollby and it graphically melts people's faces off by screaming.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The brand name is Dollby but the evil doll is named Thomas.

End credits music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FIMvSp01C8

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think it's only Annabelle that made a fundamentally scary doll. The Boy used a standard style doll and used posing and the suggestion of movement for the creepiness.

Edit: basically agreeing with you. At least just make it look scary through a half charred face or something. An of the shelf "scary doll" would only work in Creepshow with an evil kid.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 14, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Funnily enough the doll thing in Annabelle is unfounded.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

If you think people don't buy and collect dolls like movie Annabelle, you haven't read much about doll collectors.

Anyway, I think the reviews are better for Annabelle: Creation than the the first movie, probably because the director also made Lights Out. He's also going to direct Shazam next year.

Remulak posted:

What a lovely weekend for movies.

Good Time and Ingrid Goes West are apparently released this week but it might be a limited one.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Speaking of which, The Boy was solid, I dug it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Boy fuckin owns.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This Indonesian movie was released 2 weeks before Annabelle Creation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJn2rHsT2Qg

Then of course we will have this new Chucky movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QvPzJCTbXY

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Magic had one of the creepiest dolls, well marionette really.

Yes that movie owns.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i watched Annabelle: Creation and it was p fun! The people involved seem to have a cavalier attitude towards continuity/canon/character, with "potential device for scary bad things happening" introduced, used and discarded as soon as possible just to maximize the scary minutes ratio in the film.

they also seem to understand they can't purely rely on the scariness of the doll itself, every time it appears people in the audience laugh and then A WORSE THING happens

also lol at the smartest character throwing the doll into a well,
then immediately looking inside
and when poo poo happens yells "who cares! just run!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The MSJ posted:

This Indonesian movie was released 2 weeks before Annabelle Creation.
I didnt know Lowtax got malaysian funding for the Doom Höse Cinematic Booniverse

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's a moment, maybe it's in the original Child's Play, when you can see the transition between the regular prop Good Guy doll and then it becomes animated and scowls and you get to hear Brad Dourif's cool voice... it's pretty spooky.
100% agree that all scary doll movies somehow pick the most evil looking lovely doll unnecessarily. However, Annabelle did have 1 cool part - when you think the doll is finally standing up on it's own, and then you notice that a demon is picking it up. I thought that was a clever thing to do.

Also the reveal in The Boy after the doll breaks and the house starts shaking is excellent. I was fully expecting some poo poo straight out of The Haunting (1999).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I saw a trailer for it during The Emoji Film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rick posted:

You knew what kind of dumb poo poo you were signing up for :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rick posted:

I'm so sorry

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

"At its best, the film feels like a lost Mario Bava movie…"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

That's funny, because literally nothing in the trailers looks anything like a Mario Bava movie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_R0-5ZVC3w

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

That's funny, because literally nothing in the trailers looks anything like a Mario Bava movie.

Nothing in the film looks like a Bava movie either. Peter Weir is a better (quite generous) comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nothing in the film looks like a Bava movie either. Peter Weir is a better (quite generous) comparison.

The thing that's most fascinating about how bad the vast majority of film criticism is, is that when a higher-end-of-mediocre movie catches them off guard, it's like it sparks the thankless process of tripping over yourself trying to explain why you liked something that really wasn't very good. You end up like the sad bastard who unwittingly reveals that he just brings up Bava because he's supposed to.

Roger Ebert had to be the Grand Poobah of being eloquent while writing positive notices for movies he knew weren't good even though he liked them.

• Locked thread