Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

I'm building a new board to distract myself from the burning wreckage of my life and this is what I have so far (in terms of ideas):

Not sure what to put between the Empress and the DIG. I was thinking maybe the Meris Mercury 7, but I'm a complete reverb whore, so my judgement is impaired. Or just go all out and get an H9?

Ditch the Acapulco Gold, get a D*A*M Sonic Titan (much better example of the same type of circuit) and then throw a dart at a list of fuzz pedals.

Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Southern Heel posted:

Any reason why I shouldn't go with a Dunlop Mini Wah?

Nope, it's awesome.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

After The War posted:

So you can finally fire your singer. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inb8sUgpdVk

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ditch the Acapulco Gold, get a D*A*M Sonic Titan (much better example of the same type of circuit) and then throw a dart at a list of fuzz pedals.

Done.

But... but I just got it on the cheap (B-stock) and I think it really owns :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

But... but I just got it on the cheap (B-stock) and I think it really owns :(

How much did you pay for it? I'm making Sonic Titans for some friends right now. They go for like $200-400 on Reverb used but I sell my clones to my friends for $75. Pretty simple to make, too, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

edit: EQD AG owns but have you noticed the volume knob is loving touchy as hell? Both pedals make their distortion by ramming your signal into an LM386 opamp but do it slightly differently so the tonality is a bit different. D*A*M is always on point, though.

edit2: pm me if you got questions son.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 11, 2017

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How much did you pay for it? I'm making Sonic Titans for some friends right now. They go for like $200-400 on Reverb used but I sell my clones to my friends for $75. Pretty simple to make, too, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

edit: EQD AG owns but have you noticed the volume knob is loving touchy as hell? Both pedals make their distortion by ramming your signal into an LM386 opamp but do it slightly differently so the tonality is a bit different. D*A*M is always on point, though.

edit2: pm me if you got questions son.

It was like 20 euros cheaper because of a dent (which is imperceptible), so I guess like 110 euros or something like that (we get hosed on pricing in Europe in case you were wondering). Yeah, the volume knob has to used gingerly or you'll blow out your speaker / ears, it's cool and good. I'll look into those Sonic Titans tho, that sounds intriguing, and I always enjoy learning about new poo poo.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Did they change the circuit between the V1 and V2? Cause I have one from the original "limited" run and haven't noticed anything like that at all.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bill Posters posted:

Did they change the circuit between the V1 and V2? Cause I have one from the original "limited" run and haven't noticed anything like that at all.

No. Just added a soft bypass instead of mechanical.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 13, 2017

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

What's the thread consensus on the Strymon Deco?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Does anyone here actually use 'inspiration' type pedals? By that I mean those which look amazing on reviews (Rainbow Machine, Geiger Counter) but seem to have almost zero practical application. I think I've gone through all the modulation pedal types with the exception of Vibes, and a bundle of 'extended' delay/reverb pedals and all of them got turned on the once or twice to test them and essentially gathered dust until I sold them. When I pick up the instrument I'm looking to compose or jam - neither of which are particularly supported by bitcrushers or synth pedals. I'm genuinely curious!

Wengy posted:

What's the thread consensus on the Strymon Deco?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 14, 2017

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I probably do. I've got a Hologram Dream Sequence that I'm pretty fond of. Half the time I pick up a guitar, I just want to gently caress around playing weird ambient poo poo. Same goes for the Supernatural reverb. Thinking about the Empress reverb and the new delay, echo station or whatever it's called.

Unexpected side benefit of the Dream Sequence: there's something about the non-sequenced mode that sounds way better than an EHX POG2 for running into a fuzz and doing Jon Lord style poo poo. It's a really nice-sounding pedal, which is what attracts me about the Empress ones too. I gather the Strymon and Eventide reverbs are more powerful, but the Empress sounds better to me.

I don't remember what the settings were, but having the ring mod and phaser in the loop of the Moog delay made for some weird sounds I spent a lot of time with, too.

Rainbow Machine is on my list, but I imagine that'll turn up used. I'm pretty much in love with anything that'll start from what I play and take off on its own.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Does anyone here actually use 'inspiration' type pedals? By that I mean those which look amazing on reviews (Rainbow Machine, Geiger Counter) but seem to have almost zero practical application. I think I've gone through all the modulation pedal types with the exception of Vibes, and a bundle of 'extended' delay/reverb pedals and all of them got turned on the once or twice to test them and essentially gathered dust until I sold them. When I pick up the instrument I'm looking to compose or jam - neither of which are particularly supported by bitcrushers or synth pedals. I'm genuinely curious!

It could be an "inspiration type pedal" :D! Honestly, the "Saturation" feature sounds really sweet and it seems like one could do some cool stuff with the Doubletracker. In some demos it's basically Beatles tone in a box. But yeah, I already have tape delay and chorus / vibrato on my board, so I dunno...

As far as "inspiration", my Ottobit Jr. is amazing in this regard. Yeah, it's a bitcrusher, but that's only a small part of what it does. Hell, I rarely even crush them bits, at the moment I'm mostly enthralled by the stutter feature and the sequencing options.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Gorgar posted:

I probably do. I've got a Hologram Dream Sequence that I'm pretty fond of. Half the time I pick up a guitar, I just want to gently caress around playing weird ambient poo poo. Same goes for the Supernatural reverb. Thinking about the Empress reverb and the new delay, echo station or whatever it's called.

Unexpected side benefit of the Dream Sequence: there's something about the non-sequenced mode that sounds way better than an EHX POG2 for running into a fuzz and doing Jon Lord style poo poo. It's a really nice-sounding pedal, which is what attracts me about the Empress ones too. I gather the Strymon and Eventide reverbs are more powerful, but the Empress sounds better to me.

I don't remember what the settings were, but having the ring mod and phaser in the loop of the Moog delay made for some weird sounds I spent a lot of time with, too.

Rainbow Machine is on my list, but I imagine that'll turn up used. I'm pretty much in love with anything that'll start from what I play and take off on its own.

Speaking of Empress, I actually just put my Reverb up for sale. It's a very good pedal, but I got annoyed by the fact that it doesn't do the more traditional sounds all that well (Spring is garbage, Hall is weirdly boomy/cave-like, plate is OK though) and most of the charm lies in the 'out there' stuff. The modulated reverbs and the green Ghost setting are insanely cool, but when I'm just hanging out on one really good algorithm on such an expensive pedal I think something's wrong. I also thought the EQ section was a little weak, and having to remember what "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" stand for gets old fast. Don't kill me, but I'm really thinking about a Big Sky now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

Speaking of Empress, I actually just put my Reverb up for sale. It's a very good pedal, but I got annoyed by the fact that it doesn't do the more traditional sounds all that well (Spring is garbage, Hall is weirdly boomy/cave-like, plate is OK though) and most of the charm lies in the 'out there' stuff. The modulated reverbs and the green Ghost setting are insanely cool, but when I'm just hanging out on one really good algorithm on such an expensive pedal I think something's wrong. I also thought the EQ section was a little weak, and having to remember what "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" stand for gets old fast. Don't kill me, but I'm really thinking about a Big Sky now.

What is hilarious about this to me is that it is using a Blackfin chip for which there are a ton of readily available spring and hall code samples that sound great.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What is hilarious about this to me is that it is using a Blackfin chip for which there are a ton of readily available spring and hall code samples that sound great.

Lol

I think they kind of overextended themselves and got a few things absolutely spot on, but then hosed up on some basic stuff. Also, the expandability of the pedal is great, but that also means empty promises (looper) and beta testing by the community. I kinda miss the Neunaber Immerse I sold for the Empress; no matter the setting or mode, it always sounded good to excellent. The Empress can do more, but it also makes you work for it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Wengy posted:

Speaking of Empress,

most of the charm lies in the 'out there' stuff.

I am ok with this. I've got the Supernatural and the normal Hardwire reverb (RV-7?), plus a Super Reverb in a head sitting around.

I'd buy yours, but it looks like you're in Europe, and shipping would probably be prohibitive. Don't blame you for wanting a Big Sky, though. They're popular for a reason. I feel like the Empress sounds a little darker though, and just more like what I want reverb to sound like. I'm after a post-punk, dub, post-rock, space rock sort of thing. The Big Sky always sounds really bright and airy and a bit too digital to me. Could probably tweak that out of it, and I'm sure I'd love the hell out of it if I had one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wengy posted:

Lol

I think they kind of overextended themselves and got a few things absolutely spot on, but then hosed up on some basic stuff. Also, the expandability of the pedal is great, but that also means empty promises (looper) and beta testing by the community. I kinda miss the Neunaber Immerse I sold for the Empress; no matter the setting or mode, it always sounded good to excellent. The Empress can do more, but it also makes you work for it.

Brian Neunaber is insane enough that I would expect him to make something great like that. Just look at the level of... uh... "eccentricity" on display here: https://neunaber.net/blogs/brian-s-notes/13830765-the-analog-myth-chorus

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Someday I really have to grab a Wet.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Someday I really have to grab a Wet.

Holy moly I just noticed Neunaber is like 7 miles from me. I don't know what that does for me but I feel his weird genius aura from here.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Holy moly I just noticed Neunaber is like 7 miles from me. I don't know what that does for me but I feel his weird genius aura from here.

You should bug him for a tour of his goodies/a chat or something.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I talk with Phillipe from Caroline pedals a bunch nice guy

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Gorgar posted:

I am ok with this. I've got the Supernatural and the normal Hardwire reverb (RV-7?), plus a Super Reverb in a head sitting around.

I'd buy yours, but it looks like you're in Europe, and shipping would probably be prohibitive. Don't blame you for wanting a Big Sky, though. They're popular for a reason. I feel like the Empress sounds a little darker though, and just more like what I want reverb to sound like. I'm after a post-punk, dub, post-rock, space rock sort of thing. The Big Sky always sounds really bright and airy and a bit too digital to me. Could probably tweak that out of it, and I'm sure I'd love the hell out of it if I had one.

Yeah, I'm in Switzerland, shipping would be insane, you'd probably be better off getting a brand new one :D
Already have a local offer, wow, this thing is popular.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

You should bug him for a tour of his goodies/a chat or something.

Yea, I might do that. Hopefully he hasn't seen me make fun of how intense he is lol.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I talk with Phillipe from Caroline pedals a bunch nice guy

really? His pedals are bonkers, that's awesome!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

If I'm wanting a good tremolo, is there any reason I shouldn't just go and order a Fulltone ST-1 right now, assuming I don't need or want the sort of insanity you get from like a Chase Bliss pedal?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've had my eye on the Wampler Latitudes for a while now. Just the right amount of feature packed and sounds great. The newish Supro harmonic tremolo sounds neat too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Schpyder posted:

If I'm wanting a good tremolo, is there any reason I shouldn't just go and order a Fulltone ST-1 right now, assuming I don't need or want the sort of insanity you get from like a Chase Bliss pedal?

Yes you do. Always be buying Chase Bliss. Joel Korte is, no hyperbole, a genius. I just read he named the company after his brother who was killed by a drunk driver. :(

I was loving with my friend's Strymon Flint and drat that thing sounds amazing. $300 is a bit much for a Tremverb, tho.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This trem sounds great and is cheap to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANs086-6AU

If you don't feel like making it yourself I may know how to do that. ;)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I should stop ignoring Chase Bliss shouldn't I?

Also I'm totally gonna throw money at you for a pedal someday.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I should stop ignoring Chase Bliss shouldn't I?

Also I'm totally gonna throw money at you for a pedal someday.

Yea I ignored them for a minute because I didn't like the name and they seemed like maybe they were another Strymon (lol). That is until I opened his Warped Vinyl pedal and my jaw hit the floor. He does with analog circuitry what anyone else would do with DSP. Nobody is doing original analog circuits like he is.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wait gently caress they're all analog? That ruuules. I'll have to grab one for sure. I'm such a sucker for innovative analog gear.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yes you do. Always be buying Chase Bliss. Joel Korte is, no hyperbole, a genius. I just read he named the company after his brother who was killed by a drunk driver. :(

I was loving with my friend's Strymon Flint and drat that thing sounds amazing. $300 is a bit much for a Tremverb, tho.

OK, a Gravitas would in fact be really cool but I definitely don't plan on using it enough to justify $300 on a tremolo.

And yeah, Chase Bliss stuff is all analog. It's absolutely bonkers.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i want a tonal recall

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I have a Warped Vinyl Mk II and it's really cool, but also overwhelming. You can get loads of crazy sounds out of it, but honestly I find the dip switches confusing (I'm really dumb though so YMMV) and I suspect I should use it with an expression pedal. Even just the basic chorus and vibrato sounds are really sweet though and you get a shitload of control over the modulation... Owns. Also looked into the Tonal Recall, but I definitely prefer my combo of DIG and El Capistan for my delay needs (OK, wants).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/data-corrupter

Sick as heck pedal alert!

////////////

After checking out the Chase Bliss line and realizing how many switches and presets they have I don't think they're for me. I mean, maybe? They're obviously genius forward thinking pieces of gear but I have absolutely zero interest in having that many options in a pedal. Past 6 knobs or so I lose interest unfortunately.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/data-corrupter

Sick as heck pedal alert!

////////////

After checking out the Chase Bliss line and realizing how many switches and presets they have I don't think they're for me. I mean, maybe? They're obviously genius forward thinking pieces of gear but I have absolutely zero interest in having that many options in a pedal. Past 6 knobs or so I lose interest unfortunately.

That's pretty much how I feel about my Warped Vinyl. I mean, it owns and I don't plan on selling it, but, like, I envisioned myself discovering awesome soundscapes with the help of presets and dip switches and my newly liberated creativity, but it turns out I'm a bit too dim for a pedal of such complexity. So yeah, it's an awesome analog chorus/vibe/seasickness machine on my board, so I'm certainly not using it to the full extent of its capabilities, but I'm kinda ok with that.

Data Corrupter owns, drat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just prefer my pedals to be 90% usable sounds no matter how they're dialed in and 10% weird fucky stuff. I like carefully tuned pedals more than pedals with infinite depth to carefully tweak. I totally understand why others love that though. It can be real fun.

In honor of contradicting myself at warp speed I want a Data Corrupter so bad. As I understand it's their take of an older piece of gear that is now selling for crazy amounts of cash. The features, artwork, name all speak to me on a deep mad synthwizard level. I'll be surprised if I don't own one by the end of the year.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I also like mostly usable things but am tempted by that

I'm also tempted by stupid things

Like, I wanted my EQ, my compressor, basic fuzz, to just be normal and usable

But a totally crazy thing like that still tempts me

This is what made me buy BKP sinners and I was extremely pleased by the fact that they're also really good normal pickups once you roll down volume

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 23, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of usable I finally finished my clone of a D*A*M Sonic Titan using absurd mil-spec components:

The genuine article:

They don't make them anymore, I guess, so people pay too much for them:

https://reverb.com/p/d-star-a-star-m-sonic-titan

Sounds pretty gnarly, bruhs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqWPIwR3S30

Similar to an Acapulco Gold, but different in its own right.

edit: just finished building a ZVex SHO and smashing them together (the SHO after the Titan, not before) is some thick-rear end stoner/doom bliss.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 24, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I was playing with some trems and didn't find one that grabbed me (selection was a little limited tho, just the Walrus Audio Monument and the Diamond Tremolo, both $250).

I did however try this dumb/awesome thing out and kinda fell in love:

Dual sub octaves, an up octave, beautiful polyphonic and funky old boss-style octaves, and crazy modulation able to be added in by toneprint? YES PLEASE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bhabhi you planning on starting to sell pedals ever? That's half the reason I want to start building. Capitalism makes me rock hard.