Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yoko Taro, famed director of Drakengard, saves Platinum Games from disapearing into obscurity. :psyduck: I don't even know anymore.

The Clover/Platinum games curse is making good games that don't sell. Platinum's last few games(before Nier) have been pretty bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't wait for all the Nier: Automata fans to start discovering his older work.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
They were probably hurting after Scalebound crashed as hard as it did. Hopefully Automata made up for that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yoko Taro, famed director of Drakengard, saves Platinum Games from disapearing into obscurity. :psyduck: I don't even know anymore.

We are in the weirdest timeline.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I guess you can say for the Glory of Yoko Taro all would be lost? :v:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It’s way too perfect that Platinum’s cancelled game Scalebound was about humans who have death-bonds with dragons.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Microsoft 86ing Scalebound nixed any chance of my getting an Xbone. I was already iffy on it after they canned the Phantom Dust remake.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Know Such Peace posted:

It’s way too perfect that Platinum’s cancelled game Scalebound was about humans who have death-bonds with dragons.

... oh my god.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Platinum mainline titles are universally good. Viewtiful Joe, MGR, W100, Bayonetta 1&2, N:A.
Their uh, licensed works not so much. Transformers. Legend of Korra. So on. Parts of them hold up but the spirit isn't there.

It's that charm and soul that really pushes their titles and makes it good. That creative drive to make something loving awesome. Yoko Taro has That, and mixed with his bizzarre ties to people with influence, this release wasn't glossed over. It was looked at and appreciated. Platinum can do some awesome. But pairing with Taro was the devils own work there. Let's see where it goes now.

If Yoko Taro is given the creative direction and influence of say, Kojima. Well, this is gonna be good.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Req.Martyr posted:

But pairing with Taro was the devils own work there.

Yeah, I can't help but wonder what the Faustian part of that bargain will be.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I want to see Taro and Kojima collaborate on a game together.
:getin:

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Req.Martyr posted:

Platinum mainline titles are universally good. Viewtiful Joe, MGR, W100, Bayonetta 1&2, N:A.
Their uh, licensed works not so much. Transformers. Legend of Korra. So on. Parts of them hold up but the spirit isn't there.

Eh, Transformers is good. Korra is alright-ish. Their main problem is you can only make so much content for a game when your budget consists entirely of the lint Activision found in its pockets. Korra didn't account for this well, while Transformers turned out better because they tried to work around their tiny budget by designing the game as mostly one large interconnecting level(it helped that the director of MGR worked on it).

TMNT is the real poo poo-show.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The world is not ready for that kind of unholy union.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vadoc posted:

The world is not ready for that kind of unholy union.

It is. Give us it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Know Such Peace posted:

Awww, I hadn't heard that was cancelled. Shame - it looked cool.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I’m not sure if that means a Platinum-produced Drakengard 4 is inevitable or impossible. They’ve got experience with potential combat mechanics, but Microsoft might sue them to death if they reuse any assets from Scalebound’s development.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Transformers was good, but it pissed me off when they teased us with Nova Prime without a boss fight and when it ended on an ad for the toyline -- which I should have expected, come to think of it.

I hope there isn't a Drakengard 4, though. 3 looked like a slog and its storyline was pretty damned dull, even with the Yoko Taro bits -- it felt like he was trying too hard while constantly turning to wink at us. "See? It's wacky and doesn't take itself seriously! And there's lots of weird sex stuff! For the love of god, please, love this game. Please clap. :smith:"

Nier Automata looks like a huge improvement without going overboard, even if Adam and Steve are the most generic anime villains since Kingdom Hearts.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Lol this is only the start of the second route; we ain't seen *poo poo* regarding the Villains motivations yet.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 14, 2017

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The trailer for death stranding had a a baby in it. Perhaps the twist is that it flies, has teeth and is not alone?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Qrr posted:

Awww, I hadn't heard that was cancelled. Shame - it looked cool.

The one time I saw footage of Scalebound, I was dumbstruck by the douchiest protagonist I'd seen in years.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I hope there isn't a Drakengard 4, though. 3 looked like a slog and its storyline was pretty damned dull, even with the Yoko Taro bits -- it felt like he was trying too hard while constantly turning to wink at us. "See? It's wacky and doesn't take itself seriously! And there's lots of weird sex stuff! For the love of god, please, love this game. Please clap. :smith:"

Couldn't disagree more. I found 1's story (except endings D and E of course) much duller than 3's. The dumb, goofy bullshit was a nice change of pace, and it didn't stick around that long anyway.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Screaming Idiot posted:

I agree... in the sense that I'd love to see them revisit the "the next Drakengard game skips a number and is about the protagonists trying to figure out what the hell happened to the missing game" concept. At this point that sorta thing feels like the only way they can really find fertile ground to surprise anyone with the Yoko Taro bits. 'sides, leave the 'serious' games to the Nier half of the franchise, it's proved far more capable.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Taro, Kojima, and Suda51 backed by Platinum Games.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Power Bottom posted:

This seems like it could hit the point of "too many cooks". Which I guess could still result in some kind of hilarious clusterfuck.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Stephen9001 posted:

This seems like it could hit the point of "too many cooks". Which I guess could still result in some kind of hilarious clusterfuck.

Collaborate to establish base details of a setting, then let each one take the lead on a game in that setting.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Stephen9001 posted:

If there's one thing Jodorowsky's Dune should have taught us, it's that weirdo auteurs don't actually assemble like the Avengers into a coherent team.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Solitair posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I found 1's story (except endings D and E of course) much duller than 3's. The dumb, goofy bullshit was a nice change of pace, and it didn't stick around that long anyway.

My only exposure to drakengard games are Id LPs and some random YouTube videos, but I agree. 1 was a lot more batshit of course, but 3 had characters I liked and had good moments that I remember and enjoyed. 1 was just :wtc: from midway through to the end with nothing really enjoyable outside the music which is good because of how hosed up it is.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Power Bottom posted:

I think this would be a fight between Taro and Kojima over creative control that Kojima would win because Taro is drunk. The combat would be fun if it weren't for Suda 51 forcing some lovely mechanics into it, and it would run out of budget 1/2 into the story because Kojima spent it all on making refracting light physics. What I'm saying is this game would be bad, but it would be successful.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Back in Highschool, a friend of mine picked Drakengard 1 up when it came out. We tried to beat it together, and I remember we were both pretty hyped about it leading up to it coming out. Unfortunately we couldn't beat it. We just couldn't get past the repetitive gameplay compounded with a story that's a drag in terms of its themes and how it's conveyed. Most of the dialogue is shouted at you over combat by characters who won't be on the screen unless they're Red or a boss, and a lot of it isn't really all that riveting to begin with. Even the really memorable scenes (like Manah's cherry blossom dance around a very, very sad Inuart) are great in spite of pretty much everything else going on around them.

I think if we had made it a little bit further and began seeing the really weird poo poo that shows up around mid game, we probably would've been hooked enough to keep going.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 14, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Stephen9001 posted:

Too Many Cooks seems like a great idea to me for these kind of crazy geniuses!

Really it would be great to see the madness they could come up with, in some sort of minimalist resource gamechef enviroment. Like they have to use RPGMaker or such.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

CmdrKing posted:

At this point that sorta thing feels like the only way they can really find fertile ground to surprise anyone with the Yoko Taro bits. 'sides, leave the 'serious' games to the Nier half of the franchise, it's proved far more capable.

I don't understand this idea that yoko taro is the m night shamalan of videogames who is intentionally trying to pull one over you

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yoko Taro makes video games that are very good as video games, which use the interactive medium to get across ideas and feelings that would not work in other formats.

Hideo Kojima makes really long movies with some gameplay in between.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

darealkooky posted:

I don't understand this idea that yoko taro is the m night shamalan of videogames who is intentionally trying to pull one over you

Nah, nothing so dire. Shyamalan wants you to be impressed by how clever and unexpected his story is once the twist flips everything on its head. Yoko Taro really wants you to think about what you're doing, so the sudden twists are there as a sort of shock to the system to kick you out treating the game as business as usual.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Yoko Taro makes video games that are very good as video games, which use the interactive medium to get across ideas and feelings that would not work in other formats.

Hideo Kojima makes really long movies with some gameplay in between.

Kojima also just makes solid games - boktai was great

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tunicate posted:

Kojima also just makes solid games - boktai was great

Agreed 100%. I wish someone could make a spiritual successor to those games.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/897163669917896704

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Kamiya, founder and director of Platinum Games, tweeted that Nier Automata basically saved the studio:

Well done, Yoko Taro.

Now do Treasure, please.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I think you mean "Nier Automata YoRHa Pod 153 Figure (With 9S accessory)"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Storm One posted:

Well done, Yoko Taro.

Now do Treasure, please.

Treasure hasn't really employed any of its longtime veterans in a decade or so. Seriously, they're a bag floating on the wind with a skeleton crew left in the building. Every year or so there'll be a PR thing going "We're the cheaper alternative to Platinum! Love us! God, please hire us."

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

I don't see where you can pre-order it - the link just goes to an article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Treasure hasn't really employed any of its longtime veterans in a decade or so. Seriously, they're a bag floating on the wind with a skeleton crew left in the building. Every year or so there'll be a PR thing going "We're the cheaper alternative to Platinum! Love us! God, please hire us."

I used to love Gunstar Heroes. :smith:

• Locked thread