Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

business hammocks posted:

Arya pulls off her mask, revealing Arya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHQr0HCIN2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoy that there was no soap opera drama about convincing Gendry and he was just like "gently caress yeah lets ride" from before Davos even said anything

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think this sums up this season so well. The gang of varied characters all teaming up to fight evil is the exact kind of Wheel of Time bullshit that GRRM deliberately avoids. But I don't care how dumb it is, because we get the Hound and Thormund fighting Wights.

As long as they keep giving us stuff like the loot train, Olenna going out like a boss, or Davos sweet talking the actor Kevin Eldon I'll put up with significantly dumber plots and pacing than we currently have.

What's your excuse going to be when this ends up being in the books too?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know that Dany's being portrayed as a hero

You must not watch the show. She's actually portrayed as morally the worst person on the show even before this episode where she's burning POWs alive and two of the top good guy characters are talking to each other about how cruel and psychotic she is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Old James posted:

Who then removes his face revealing Ja'qen Haqar.

This would be cool IMO.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wonder who the head of house Tarly is now. Dickon and Randyll are dead and Sam had to give up his rights to the house when he took the black so I guess some uncle or something is in charge now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

PantsBandit posted:

I wonder who the head of house Tarly is now. Dickon and Randyll are dead and Sam had to give up his rights to the house when he took the black so I guess some uncle or something is in charge now.

Sam's son.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

You must not watch the show. She's actually portrayed as morally the worst person on the show even before this episode where she's burning POWs alive and two of the top good guy characters are talking to each other about how cruel and psychotic she is.

Context man. The other person has 4 incest babies and blew up a church.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

It would be his sister('s fiance, once she marries him), perhaps with the mom interim ruling as a dowager since there's literally no one else right now.

Except Sam ultimately having his claim re-instated is far more likely than having her show up again, let alone casting the dude in question, so don't worry about it, it's going to be Sam.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It won't matter, the Night King is going to win.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Daric posted:

It won't matter, the Night King is going to win.

so adopted incest baby Little Sam will inherit Horn Hill after all. :)

Kid's marked for conversion

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aphrodite posted:

What's your excuse going to be when this ends up being in the books too?

We'll never find out.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Death likelihood ranking from least to most - Magnificent Seven Westeros edition

• Jon (plot armor)
  • The Hound (hasn't fought Gregor yet and he loving NEEDS to I don't care how unlikely it is)
  • Gendry (if only cause he JUST got brought back)
  • Tormund (we need a named wildling)
  • Jorah (Sam will be so fuckin pissed if he skinned him alive for 12 hours so he won't turn into a rock monster only so the dumbass can turn into an ice monster but it's not impossible)
  • Beric (his last rez will be as a wight)
  • Thoros (cause none of my normal friends even know his name)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mister Perky posted:

It would be his sister('s fiance, once she marries him), perhaps with the mom interim ruling as a dowager since there's literally no one else right now.
If they follow any kind of historically accurate succession law, Sam disinheriting himself probably prevents any children he had after that point from having a claim. As for his sisters husband, he couldn't really become the head of house Tarly - unless he was a Tarly already. Rather, the Tarly lands would pass through Sam's sister to her husband's heir - either on her death or when he came of age, and those lands would now belong to the house her husband came from. Or maybe they'd just go to whichever male Tarly was lying about, though it seems like the Lannisters were the only ones with spares.

But yeah,

Mister Perky posted:

it's going to be Sam.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Death likelihood ranking from least to most - Magnificent Seven Westeros edition

• Gendry (if only cause he JUST got brought back)

That worked well for Rickon and Osha.

My guess is: everyone dies except Jon. They all zombify, Jon kills them with Longclaw except the Hound who he manages to capture somehow. Zombie Hound gets brought to KL where he starts to wreak havoc, Zombie Gregor steps in to restore order and we get Undead Cleganebowl. :black101:

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 14, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kevyn posted:

My guess is: everyone dies except Jon. They all zombify, Jon kills them with Longclaw except the Hound who he manages to capture somehow. Zombie Hound gets brought to KL where he starts to wreak havoc, Zombie Gregor steps in to restore order and we get Undead Cleganebowl. :black101:
The Cleganes will do what they never could in life - forgive and forget, and then start rampaging together in King's Landing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
They're going to set it up like Daenerys is going to allow Sam to reclaim his rights as heir of House Tarly

And then Dany will pull a Joffrey on him, remind him that he abandoned the Watch AND betrayed the trust of the Citadel, stealing precious works from the Maesters' library in the process, and for that he will burn. Reduced to a smoldering grease fire on the floor of the throne room. Tyrion and Varys exchange sidelong "Oh, brudder" glances. Cue the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme, credits.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kevyn posted:

Thoros and Beric are definitely gonna eat it since going on that quest was their only plot purpose this season, the Hound is shown in the dragon pit at Kings landing in the S7 trailer so he wont die up there

Tormund and Gendry are a toss up

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know that Dany's being portrayed as a hero and nothing makes you smarter or cooler on the internet as taking a contrary stance, but don't be so loving lazy and obvious about it you half-rate edgelords.
She's just done the exact same thing that got her father, a man people said was mad, deposed... for being mad.

She's mad.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Kevyn posted:

Good point. Gotta say it felt like Gendry had more fanfare though, had a couple good scenes focused mostly on him. Rickon and Osha were so throwaway that it was like, tragically obvious they were just gonna die.

tooterfish posted:

She's just done the exact same thing that got her father, a man people said was mad, deposed... for being mad.

She's mad.

I was sad that they never mentioned that the Tarlys stood with her father. Thought that would've counted for something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I thought it was a little dumb that Jaime insisted that no army could beat the Dothraki. They routed the Lannister army but that was because they got surprised by a loving mythical creature burning up their formation and letting the cavalry get behind them. They have plenty of weaknesses (arguably more than the Westerosi, since they rely so heavily on horse-combat), it's not like Jaime to be so defeatist.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

some guy on the bus posted:

Realistically speaking, the manner of execution was horrifying but the execution itself was not, by the standards of the medieval ages.

She had three choices, really. Prison, exile, or execution. She doesn't have the resources for prisons, nor does she really believe in them, and the end game of a prison stay if they don't relent is execution anyways.

Exile (to the Wall) was offered and refused.

Not to mention these are men who betrayed their liege (Lady Olenna, one of Dany's vassals) and were still given the shot to renounce Cersei (who murdered his liege (Mace Tyrell, technically) and his family and took the throne pretty illegally) and join Dany.

Yes, her actions are worrisome given that she's trying to portray herself as better than the others, not to mention the method of execution was very Mad King-esque. But fundamentally I don't think any other lords would bat an eye at what she did, only the matter of how she did it.

Fundamentally she is slipping down the dark path a bit but the targets of her malice are still valid targets. She isn't burning innocents... yet.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Phi230 posted:

I really enjoy that there was no soap opera drama about convincing Gendry and he was just like "gently caress yeah lets ride" from before Davos even said anything
Appreciated that too. He was just up and ready to go.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It would have been hilarious if they had chosen to go to the Wall and got stuck fighting an army of undead people and giants. I can just see Randyll "I should have taken the dragon..."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Last time he was on an adventure, he ended up in bed with a freaky redhead. He can't deny his genes.

Daric posted:

It would have been hilarious if they had chosen to go to the Wall and got stuck fighting an army of undead people and giants. I can just see Randyll "I should have taken the dragon..."
Dickon could have heroically sacrificed himself holding the gate open on his own.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yes, her actions are worrisome given that she's trying to portray herself as better than the others, not to mention the method of execution was very Mad King-esque. But fundamentally I don't think any other lords would bat an eye at what she did, only the matter of how she did it.

Fundamentally she is slipping down the dark path a bit but the targets of her malice are still valid targets. She isn't burning innocents... yet.

The problem really is that she, and possibly the show, is trying to portray herself as a better than the previous ruling class. If she just rolled up with the dragons and went "nice continent, hand it over or else" it would make total sense. Giving fancy speeches about breaking the wheel and then burning people alive is going to raise a few eyebrows.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Vegetable posted:

well he found out he has this epic lineage and possibly destiny then had to sit on it for 3 years

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

FooF posted:

I was under the assumption that Dany's womb got nuked by black magic in Season 1. She's been infertile the entire time she's been conquering, hence her attachment to the dragons as her "children." Second, Jon's ability to produce a kid may be in question since his death. It's possible that the cost to bring him back was his ability to procreate.

i was thinking about this and it could play into that whole bittersweet ending thing. Westeros finally finds some stability under Targaryen rule again but because neither of the rulers can procreate, another succession crisis will inevitably loom (as was common in real life). History is all cycles mannnn

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Davos is gonna kill Littlefinger

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
One thing I've always really liked about the show and the books is the not-often-mentioned but super-important relationship between Lyanna and Rhaegar. There's an entire story there that's fleshed out but not written. Rhaegar is prince and married, but falls in love with Lyanna, who is meant for Robert. They're married and he steals her away, Robert explodes and starts the rebellion and wins, Rhaegar is killed in battle, Lyanna dies giving birth to their only child. It sets in motion everything in Game of Thrones but the story itself is only alluded to and hinted at.

You really get the sense that Robert was the bad guy all along.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bloom posted:

The problem really is that she, and possibly the show, is trying to portray herself as a better than the previous ruling class. If she just rolled up with the dragons and went "nice continent, hand it over or else" it would make total sense. Giving fancy speeches about breaking the wheel and then burning people alive is going to raise a few eyebrows.

Need we remind you those ahole Tarly were stealing food from peasants the prior episode even if off screen. They were the wheel.

Also I can't believe they did the washed up down river and escaped thing. Why didn't the whole army jump in the river and float away.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phi230 posted:

Yeah, same with the Hound. In fact everyone was surprisingly happy to skip the smalltalk and just get on with the bit where six bad rear end bros (and Jorah) go off together and smash some zombies.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

Why didn't the whole army jump in the river and float away

something about their commanders screaming to hold the line

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

CornHolio posted:

One thing I've always really liked about the show and the books is the not-often-mentioned but super-important relationship between Lyanna and Rhaegar. There's an entire story there that's fleshed out but not written. Rhaegar is prince and married, but falls in love with Lyanna, who is meant for Robert. They're married and he steals her away, Robert explodes and starts the rebellion and wins, Rhaegar is killed in battle, Lyanna dies giving birth to their only child. It sets in motion everything in Game of Thrones but the story itself is only alluded to and hinted at.

Well, Rhaegar stealing away Lyanna certainly starts the tensions, but its the Mad King Aerys who makes the war really break out.
After Lyanna was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar, Brandon Stark and some others rush to Kings Landing to confront Rhaegar but he isn't there (he's off ostensibly getting an annullment and marrying Lyanna and doing lots of boning). Brandon stark makes some ill advised remarks about wanting to kill Rhaegar and Aerys is having none of that and arrests him and calls the fathers to court to stand trial. Some pretty brutal executions by the Mad King and demands for more start the Rebellion in full force.
It's really Aerys who was the bad guy, everyone else was of poor temper (including Rhaegar for not controlling his dick) but not totally out of line.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why couldn't Dany give them one dragon to take to the North since we (know)? that dragon's fire can kill white walkers?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Why couldn't Dany give them one dragon to take to the North since we (know)? that dragon's fire can kill white walkers?

The implication in the show thus far is that Dany can't just tell her dragons "go do this" and have them listen. She needs to physically be there to control them. That's part of the reason she doesn't just fight every battle with dragons, it's a risk every time since she has to accompany them.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Davos is gonna kill Littlefinger

Littlefinger will betray littlefinger by ordering littlefinger to kill littlefinger.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CornHolio posted:

Robert didn't start the rebellion. Jon Arryn started the rebellion because the king demanded he behead his two wards, men who were like his sons, for the crime of being related to the people he'd just tortured to death.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know that Dany's being portrayed as a hero and nothing makes you smarter or cooler on the internet as taking a contrary stance, but don't be so loving lazy and obvious about it you half-rate edgelords.

Dany's by far the most merciful commander in the show, crucifixions and all. People who are expecting a medieval dragon queen to start quoting the Geneva conventions and housing/feeding thousands of prisons of war are being willfully obtuse. Toasting two spoiled tyrannical rear end in a top hat lords saved dozens of lives right there and then. Those soldiers will never, ever receive an offer that generous again.

I don't want her to quote Geneva conventions, nice strawman. I want her to stop pouting all the loving time.

You're winning. Be happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe Rhaegar should have left a loving note

• Locked thread