Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is it time for lunch martinis yet?
It's always lunchtime somewhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Duckbag posted:

Well, it's not just appearance -- it's language, material culture like cuisine, music, and art, religious practices, lifestyle, and traditions. I've never been to China, buty impression is that the Han aren't sufficiently United in any of these to be considered one ethnicity.

Sounds like being a Southerner vs. Midwest vs. West Coast vs. East Coast etc. in the 'states.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The lies we tell ourselves

Maybe, but it's a fuzzy division anyways and it's super important to the Chinese state to quash any sense of regionalism. Hell, that's basically the entirety of Chinese history.

"Han" is much realer now than it was fifty years ago, thanks to the massive internal migration that's happened. If I had to analogize it's like "white". So broad as to be meaningless by itself, but suddenly very important once there's an other to define itself against.

The 56 minzu paradigm was an improvement when it was first introduced, but like a lot of things it got fossilized into an incontrovertible truth rather than a fluid definition with plenty of room for further refinement.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

thoughts and prayers posted:

Sounds like being a Southerner vs. Midwest vs. West Coast vs. East Coast etc. in the 'states.

Yeah, a bit, but we don't have a dozen different "United Statesian" languages that we pretend are all the same. Also, "American" generally isn't considered an ethnicity.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, a bit, but we don't have a dozen different "United Statesian" languages that we pretend are all the same. Also, "American" generally isn't considered an ethnicity.

It is when people are making GBS threads on us all. (Is that the "we" form of "y'all"? My Trashbag Nazi-ese is pretty low-level.)

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Chaoshan Girl is no more, I think. She blew up on me today saying I am so cruel and I just want to blame her, and even her awful family members never treated her so poorly. She said she wishes she never met.

The reason? I agreed with the allopathic doctor she went to that said the best way to treat her giant gallbladder full of gallstones was surgery. She showed me ultrasound image and it was all clogged up. Her friends (including my boss, who thinks moxibustions cures HIV) all told her that drinking some tea TCM will immediately dissolve her gallstones no problem, and surgery is bad for the body because afterwards the body gets PAIN! What kind of treatment might include a side-effect of pain? A bad treatment, of course!
This is the same TCM bullshit that is killing/killed my friend with breast cancer. Don't do surgery, just drink some root powder tea and everything will be just fine. The whole world will never appreciate the raw power of Chinese lead-based herbs.

It goes on and on, but she was going mental. She even said now she must go find a husband immediately, any man, because she can't take care of herself and she's in serious trouble. She refuses to believe surgery will fix this, and she's committed herself to expensive TCM teas and finding a husband to make sure she never has to have health problems again. I kept saying go get the surgery and get it over with, and she was saying I was wrong and all her Chinese friends are right. I said I can't talk to her anymore today, I am busy, I don't have time for these ridiculous arguments. She kept sending me messages calling me cruel and how dare I suggest surgery when it means she would wake up with pain. I am the worst man in the world for even thinking a knife could fix her problems. I told her "Wow, I wish my mom had your friends when she got cancer, then she'd be dead." She couldn't understand the connection I as trying to make. Why would my mom have needed surgery for cancer? There's a tea for that too!

There have been other things in the weeks leading up to this, but I got that feeling like "Alright, another bites the dust." Another Chinese friend whisked away by Chinese culture into delusion land. It's been so common for me, that eight months of close friendship with her was just a drop in the bucket of things in China that I will leave behind once I go a couple weeks.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Duckbag posted:

Well yeah, it isn't a perfect analogy, but none of them ever are

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Collateral Damage posted:

It's always lunchtime somewhere in the world.

I was thinking of doing this today but it's only Monday. I'll wait until weds at least.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That's a bummer about CG. Both her way of handling her illness and how that is probably not going to end very well. A gallbladder full of gallstones sounds pretty painful.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Glenn Quebec posted:

I was thinking of doing this today but it's only Monday. I'll wait until weds at least.
I follow both this thread and the retail thread. The juxtaposition of your condescending GS desk jokey persona in the latter and the desperate alcoholic persona in this one is weird, though I suppose not entirely surprising.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

Chaoshan Girl is no more, I think. She blew up on me today saying I am so cruel and I just want to blame her, and even her awful family members never treated her so poorly. She said she wishes she never met.

The reason? I agreed with the allopathic doctor she went to that said the best way to treat her giant gallbladder full of gallstones was surgery. She showed me ultrasound image and it was all clogged up. Her friends (including my boss, who thinks moxibustions cures HIV) all told her that drinking some tea TCM will immediately dissolve her gallstones no problem, and surgery is bad for the body because afterwards the body gets PAIN! What kind of treatment might include a side-effect of pain? A bad treatment, of course!
This is the same TCM bullshit that is killing/killed my friend with breast cancer. Don't do surgery, just drink some root powder tea and everything will be just fine. The whole world will never appreciate the raw power of Chinese lead-based herbs.

It goes on and on, but she was going mental. She even said now she must go find a husband immediately, any man, because she can't take care of herself and she's in serious trouble. She refuses to believe surgery will fix this, and she's committed herself to expensive TCM teas and finding a husband to make sure she never has to have health problems again. I kept saying go get the surgery and get it over with, and she was saying I was wrong and all her Chinese friends are right. I said I can't talk to her anymore today, I am busy, I don't have time for these ridiculous arguments. She kept sending me messages calling me cruel and how dare I suggest surgery when it means she would wake up with pain. I am the worst man in the world for even thinking a knife could fix her problems. I told her "Wow, I wish my mom had your friends when she got cancer, then she'd be dead." She couldn't understand the connection I as trying to make. Why would my mom have needed surgery for cancer? There's a tea for that too!

There have been other things in the weeks leading up to this, but I got that feeling like "Alright, another bites the dust." Another Chinese friend whisked away by Chinese culture into delusion land. It's been so common for me, that eight months of close friendship with her was just a drop in the bucket of things in China that I will leave behind once I go a couple weeks.

Hey man, didn't you predict that this was going to happen?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hell yeah, I saw this IRL once but was on a bus and couldn't get a video.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's almost like any woman Haier gets too close to is immediately repulsed. Wonder why.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I follow both this thread and the retail thread. The juxtaposition of your condescending GS desk jokey persona in the latter and the desperate alcoholic persona in this one is weird, though I suppose not entirely surprising.

Honestly, I just enjoy teasing the hell out of the retail thread because they go loving bananas on the drop of a hat. This thread is probably the more honest version of me.

Less desperate but more bored, I'd say. I'm doing the family thing which is fulfilling but not exciting.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Haier posted:

CG playing the marital long game this whole time?

All joking aside, I'm sorry. I know this feeling, and it sucks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is why I think people need to go into serious relationships with huge cultural gulfs carefully. You either need to end up totally enabling poo poo like TCM and in the future allowing your kids to be "treated" with it, or get into a huge relationship ending fight. It's not even just a "chinese thing", I knew a guy who ended up with some super hippie lady who was all about "big pharma" conspiracies and poo poo and but the dude was "in love" so just spinelessly let her take over all their health care. He wasn't supposed to ever to go the doctor unless he was on death's door and couldn't take any drugs and was taking like 50 "suppliments" every day.

Like, you know you can date or marry people that aren't totally ruled by hosed up superstitions and dangerous traditional quackery right? You can have kids with people that don't have horrible overbearing inlaws that your spouse can't ever say no to? You can figure all this poo poo out before the relationship gets serious?

Haier's problem solved its self because he isn't a spineless desperate nerd, and hopefully although pissed, Chaoshan Girl has a seed of doubt planted by this and eventually gets some actual treatment one day. May asteroid belt buddha have mercy on her soul.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That's absolutely loving insane. :stare:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Spatial posted:

That's absolutely loving insane. :stare:

it's common enough that i don't register it anymore. there are traditional remedies that are effective - the herb gymnema actually does have some real effectiveness against diabetes, for example, with no side effects outside of allergies - but for every one actual, factual, helpful herb you can take to do something chemical big pharma can't, there's 10,000 quack cures that do nothing but make the problem worse by keeping the patient from seeking actual, practical help. the grain of truth naturally gets exploited by tons of sanctimonious idiots, only they are idiots so when they run out of the grain of truth they'll start loving around with quack cures. you can see this in the West in pretty much any chiropractor's office. chiropractors can do some serious good and the ones that are truly studious and intellectually honest are some of the most effective medical practitioners out there. but in general, chiropractors think they know way more than they actually do, so half the poo poo they do is at best unhelpful and more practically outright harmful.

in china, we just call that phenomenon face culture.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Baby's_first_chiropractic_spinal_adjustment.mp4

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Welcome to Paraphrased Conversation Theatre:

ME: I have chronic sinus problems.

CHINESE LADY: I used to, but then I did TCM, and after a few years they stopped!

ME: Wow, completely?

CHINESE LADY: Of course. I only get them a few times a year now.

ME: How often did you have problems before?

CHINESE LADY: A few times a year.

ME: .....

fin

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chinese medicine is just as good as your western medicine it just takes longer. I had a cold and started taking Chinese medicine and a week later I felt fine again, therefore it obviously works.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Haier posted:

Dude she's upset that you're leaving and that she's never going to see you again. Are you really this dense?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Haier is a hardened transient who is only dtf. She knew the deal.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Nooo CG :( I thought she would make it out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

epsilon posted:

Dude she's upset that you're leaving and that she's never going to see you again. Are you really this dense?

are you going to internet diagnose her as being madly in love with haier deep down too

don't stop, this is my fetish

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Haier's posts are better than a soap opera. Sorry about CG man, she was my favourite character.

Seriously, copy/paste all your posts into a word document and send it to a publisher, you've got most of a book ready to roll here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Outrail posted:

Haier's posts are better than a soap opera. Sorry about CG man, she was my favourite character.

Seriously, copy/paste all your posts into a word document and send it to a publisher, you've got most of a book ready to roll here.

this has the fringe benefit of ensuring he will never, ever return to china because the CCP will blacklist him for defaming the mainland

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

epsilon posted:

This is a tactic women employ that I do not understand. It's not limited to Asian women, either. My (white, Australian) best female friend went similarly crazy on me when I decided to leave Japan, and it took over a year before she contacted me to apologize.

If your brain is not wired this way, it is actually really confusing.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Outrail posted:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/Crazyinnasia/status/897138917857796096

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's called "sour grapes" and "you can't fire me, I quit!"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao just mimicking impressive things theyve seen

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

peanut posted:

It's called "sour grapes" and "you can't fire me, I quit!"

Its called "boss told us not to win or hed break our legs"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

curufinor posted:

anyhow, chinese nationals, sure. lotsa people on green cards faffing about in ai poo poo there. will they move back? prolly nah. maybe if the avatar of cocaine makes them

Isnt prc known for corporate espionage? I remember reading they just straight up offered some swedish dude stacks of cash for windmill controling software and he betrayed his country / company in a heart beat.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Haier posted:

"Wow, I wish my mom had your friends when she got cancer, then she'd be dead."

Lmao, harsh!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Dude she threw a face tantrum because you are leaving, you are leaving china, and you are leaving her. She made a fight to save face

Duh

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ups_rail posted:

Dude she threw a face tantrum because you are leaving, you are leaving china, and you are leaving her. She made a fight to save face

Duh

Agreed man. This is what my wife would do when we were doing long distance for a bit--get really upset on the last day because I was leaving. Fortunately, she emotionally matured--not sure if CG will do the same.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You know, this thread has had a troubled history of racism, so I am gonna amend my earlier statement to be more clear.

I'm a white dude, and I had a white gf when I was just outa highschool when it came time for me to transfer to a out of town university, the girl i was seeing had a loving melt down. I dont mean she cried about me leaving I mean she threw a fit about unrelated stuff.

The climax was when she had a appointment with the admission office of the local university in town. Me and My family did alot for this girl. So I told her "as a favor to me I want you to keep that appointment she basically threw in my face "WHY IT WASNT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU" I was like haier here too dense to understand that we were just on two different pages she was lashing out at me for leaving, and I was just trying to see that would take steps to better herself.

So its just not a chinese face thing.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

epsilon posted:

I do and don't agree. The upset tantrum was the case when I told her I bought my airplane tickets. I've had some people here say the same thing, but said "nevermind" when I really got into when she started getting weird.

She has been gradually changing to a stranger before I made a choice when to leave. We used to meet 3 times per week, but since June she started getting weird and twice we've gone 2 weeks without meeting, and now only meet about once per week, if we do meet. Where it changes is after we watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I posted about how it gave her such a shock she ran home to be alone that night, and stayed awake all night thinking about getting old and not having people take care of her. Since then all of her reasoning has been out the window. I am not even exaggerating how much that movie changed her into an insufferable mess of fears and frets about age, disease, and more.
That's what led her to get a full body check with ultrasound, blood work, etc., to see if there was anything wrong. She has been a completely different person since then, and we've had quite a few arguments over health-related stuff and her mind is seriously going up and down day by day, and I can't depend on anything she says at this point. It's gotten so obnoxious that I can't find much of what used to make her nice to be around. It's like everything that was fun just stopped, and now there's a short little stranger in my Wechat that keeps sending me random messages about how she's dying.

When we first got close, she said the 100% usual Mainland thing of "If you leave China, we won't talk anymore." I have heard this from nearly every Mainlander I have known, with the exception of those who are 30+ and hardened by realizing marriage and babies and family pressure are the worst choices for happiness here. She knew all along I would leave, and she was going to buy tickets for a group tour in India and then after have me pick her up and stay with me for a couple weeks in my city.
I totally believe some of this is because she is upset I am going because she is losing a close friend, but at the same time, it's all centered around her increasingly bizarre behavior with her health, and that was building up before I bought my tickets and chose when I would leave. I could have definitely stayed on and just hung out for a couple months more, but I don't want to.

My boss is friends with CG and knows we "date," and a few weeks ago said "I hope when you leave here you can find a nice girl." I think even she wrote off CG, though I don't know why, because they go to movies and meals together.

Baronjutter posted:

This is why I think people need to go into serious relationships with huge cultural gulfs carefully. You either need to end up totally enabling poo poo like TCM and in the future allowing your kids to be "treated" with it, or get into a huge relationship ending fight. It's not even just a "chinese thing", I knew a guy who ended up with some super hippie lady who was all about "big pharma" conspiracies and poo poo and but the dude was "in love" so just spinelessly let her take over all their health care. He wasn't supposed to ever to go the doctor unless he was on death's door and couldn't take any drugs and was taking like 50 "suppliments" every day.

Like, you know you can date or marry people that aren't totally ruled by hosed up superstitions and dangerous traditional quackery right? You can have kids with people that don't have horrible overbearing inlaws that your spouse can't ever say no to? You can figure all this poo poo out before the relationship gets serious?

Haier's problem solved its self because he isn't a spineless desperate nerd, and hopefully although pissed, Chaoshan Girl has a seed of doubt planted by this and eventually gets some actual treatment one day. May asteroid belt buddha have mercy on her soul.
Yesterday I told her "If you were not Chinese we wouldn't be having this discussion, but because you are from China, everything has to become difficult. You (people) love to take the simplest thing and make it hard for yourself and everyone else." I don't care about the rustled jimmies, I was really annoyed.
It's true. The way Mainlanders do everything is tainted by culture, including chabuduo, to where it just becomes a burden of the mind and the people around them. That's why China is so frustrating for a lot of foreigners, not just in making friends or working, but taking a walk outside or buying food or anything else. It's all built up to immediately or eventually become a hassle. Even their self-defense mechanisms to handle it are all tainted by culture to be a problem for themselves and everyone else. Mainland culture is toxic as heck. You sit there thinking "Huh, it doesn't have to be this way, but it is, and there's no turning back now."

I posted before about this. I will never marry again, but if I had to, it would never be a Mainlander or those under the spell of living with huge superstitions and crazy unquestionable "tradition." To live with people that are culturally not allowed to debate anything, or analyze it, and are willing to immediately trust the opinion of people from their area over anyone else is just completely incompatible culturally with anyone else from outside their country and culture. It's too much to handle. It's too much arguments. It's too much explanations.

This is what I noticed most about Non-Chinese dudes + Mainlander girls (or often friends of both sexes): The dudes are always explaining something. They talk and talk about their culture, the world, history, whatever, because whatever she learned, it's wrong or she had no idea about it. It's like a standard part of most of these relationships. It's horribly tiring. It's like babysitting for free. The pay off isn't even worth it. It's a cultural difference that needs months or years to find a solid level between the two, even if she had a "head start" in ways. Guys post about how their wives don't do X or Y anymore because they've adapted. Wow, great job, cool, your 28 year old wife can handle ice or air conditioning now, your relationship is truly solid. Will she let you sleep with a fan on during summer? How much time and energy is it worth to put into these daily mental feats? I had a girl on Tantan last night ask me if I know what fireworks are, because she wasn't sure if people do fireworks outside China.

LOL, I also know a Jewish dude that married a hippie (non-Jewish) girl. They lasted about a year until he was suddenly single again. He couldn't handle it. She was living in a different reality than the rest of the world. Sex is a strong thing that makes people think they like each other even though they don't, and not everyone can realize that before its too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Jeoh posted:

It's almost like any woman Haier gets too close to is immediately repulsed. Wonder why.

"i exclusively socialize with women that respond to me on a dating app where my profile says 'i hate going on dates and i hate spending money' but i dont think this will have an impact on who i talk to"

• Locked thread