Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
I kind of wish the Manchester Orchestra ep was more of an ad for off-book. I'm a fan of the band and thought they were really game and happily played along with Scott but if the piano player was in there with them and the band got to sing along with Zach and Jess it would've been great. Maybe a little bit too much to cram in one episode with them promoting an album, I just find Zach and Jess on off book way more entertaining than the characters they played on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Whenever Zack and Jess aren't singing all the other guests should sound sad and say where's the singing.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Whenever Zack and Jess aren't singing all the other guests should sound sad and say where's the singing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
When they are singing the guest should be clapping and cooing like an amused baby.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I'm probably biased as Andy Richter was a big comedy idol to me growing up, but he's always so great on CBB. Love hearing him curse, he's quick as hell and has such a great earnestness to him, always seems he's having a genuine time.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I got to see PFT and Tim Baltz perform at the Detroit Improv Festival and they were both as delightful as I imagined.

ManoliIsFat posted:

I'm probably biased as Andy Richter was a big comedy idol to me growing up, but he's always so great on CBB. Love hearing him curse, he's quick as hell and has such a great earnestness to him, always seems he's having a genuine time.

His episode on The Hilarious World of Depression is terrific. He's a smart, smart dude.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Why can't this one have been taped like some of the other Earwolf things, as denying me Alison Rich pulling goofy faces is just cruel.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

i am the bird posted:

I got to see PFT and Tim Baltz perform at the Detroit Improv Festival and they were both as delightful as I imagined.

Which show were you at?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

whydirt posted:

Which show were you at?

Friday at 8 with the improv fest "all stars" and then at 10 where PFT performed with Mama's Boy (who were great regardless of PFT).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Andy Richter is an incredibly funny guy, and he's always basically game for anything silly. I like him a whole lot, and always enjoy when he shows up on shows I otherwise enjoy.

Also, I had the genuine thought of "The voice this woman is doing sure sounds a lot like John Gemberling" before coming to the realization that it was, in fact, Gemberling. I'm an idiot, but I really enjoyed this episode.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This CBB was hilarious. I love anytime John Gemberling plays a character unaware they're on a show or podcast. All three guests were awesome and very funny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has there ever been an episode where Conan sidekicked and Andy ran the show? It sounds like the kind of thing they'd do with being on air for so long.

I always felt bad that I read an interview between I think the prime time show falling apart and being picked up by TBS that he was essentially glad to be out of the role, and he wanted something new in his life.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has there ever been an episode where Conan sidekicked and Andy ran the show? It sounds like the kind of thing they'd do with being on air for so long.

I always felt bad that I read an interview between I think the prime time show falling apart and being picked up by TBS that he was essentially glad to be out of the role, and he wanted something new in his life.

He left the show in 2000 for a reason, but he also came back for a reason; I'm sure it's boring to be a sidekick for decades, and obviously he hoped to make it on his own, but having a steady (and presumably pretty large) paycheck is nice.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Franchescanado posted:

This CBB was hilarious. I love anytime John Gemberling plays a character unaware they're on a show or podcast. All three guests were awesome and very funny.

HEY GREAT GRANDMA YOU GOTTA poo poo

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

SpacePig posted:

Also, I had the genuine thought of "The voice this woman is doing sure sounds a lot like John Gemberling" before coming to the realization that it was, in fact, Gemberling.

I read this post before I listened to the episode and I still had the exact same thought and realization. Gemberling is so good.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

God I love Brett Gelman episodes, and this bonus episode is no exception. Their energies just work so perfectly together. Brett is such a high level straightman, and Scott loves going deep on this particular clueless rear end in a top hat tone, when he's trying really hard not to break. I really think it's a treat when Scott is more a character like this, instead of kinda smirking his way through the ep. It's a thing of beautiful.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Thought Bret Jelmans 20 minute jag about how unfairly Jews are treated in comedy was super funny.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I have legit had a terrible conversation about how good robot movies with swords that cost more are better than movies that cost less which clearly means they didn't try. Of course, I had that conversation with an insane person and I was joking and he was very much not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I should probably go back and listen to Gelmania, huh? People raved about it at the time but I hadn't really gotten a feel for Gelman yet so I was lost when I tried. Is it behind a paywall or something now?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Gelmania was pretty good but it's not really podcasts they're little radio play things.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Gelmania is one of my favourite things ever

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I haven't listened yet, so was CBB any good this week,? I like David Wain, but the silence here seems ominous.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Sinteres posted:

I haven't listened yet, so was CBB any good this week,? I like David Wain, but the silence here seems ominous.

It wasn't great, but had its moments, especially Wain's comment after the final song.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Was excited for appearance by breakout star Tim Balls but he doesn't come in till like the last 15 minutes & Jordan Blacks character is... not good.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Work Friend Keven posted:

Was excited for appearance by breakout star Tim Balls but he doesn't come in till like the last 15 minutes & Jordan Blacks character is... not good.

Ya I was really waiting for Jordan's character to turn in to something...and it didn't. I think he's a genius, but whiffed on this one.

Also incase you didn't know, the 2nd guest is the guy from Semisonic, so temper your excitement for that relative to how 13-21 years old you were when that song came out.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Scott basically tells Jordan Black's character to stop participating because it was so bad. But Baltz's character is really good and it was interesting to hear the guy who co-wrote "Someone Like You" sing it himself.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Scott basically tells Jordan Black's character to stop participating because it was so bad. But Baltz's character is really good and it was interesting to hear the guy who co-wrote "Someone Like You" sing it himself.

Am I crazy, or has Scott been a lot less patient with bad characters lately than he used to be?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Am I crazy, or has Scott been a lot less patient with bad characters lately than he used to be?

I think this was probably recorded shortly after the Brett Gelman episode so he's in contrarian self-righteous comedy mode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
A big problem was that a lot of Jordan Black's character was just "I'm a Trump supporter" which is neither funny nor particularly original.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
I couldn't for the life of me remember which song(s) Semisonic did until dude started playing the last song. Wish they'd given Tim Baltz more time, it felt like they cut him off before they could really find the nug for his character this time around + he was plenty funny. Jordan Black's character was boring unforch

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Nevermind the terrible new CBB episode, relisten to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cImZmCekEHI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If Scott wants to do musical guests so much, he should at least invite Fletcher from Pennywise on and make it interesting.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

bring on kid cudi imo

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

If Scott wants to do musical guests so much, he should at least invite Fletcher from Pennywise on and make it interesting.

Is that the dude that brought a grenade to Loveline?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is indeed. Well, claimed anyway. He also threw up on Dr Drew on another appearance. Getting blind drunk and causing chaos on the radio is Fletcher's thing. I remember at a festival years back he apparently hit a security guy over the back of the head with a guitar for getting too rough with some kid at the barrier. Pennywise rule.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He sounds like a real oval office.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

It is indeed. Well, claimed anyway. He also threw up on Dr Drew on another appearance. Getting blind drunk and causing chaos on the radio is Fletcher's thing. I remember at a festival years back he apparently hit a security guy over the back of the head with a guitar for getting too rough with some kid at the barrier. Pennywise rule.
Lol ya as a southern california 90s kid, Pennywise means the world to me (and Loveline too, I suppose). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgsg-uOT1U

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The day they released that security cam footage was a good day.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Lol ya as a southern california 90s kid, Pennywise means the world to me (and Loveline too, I suppose). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgsg-uOT1U

Can someone time-code the good parts? I grew up on on KROQ and Loveline and always heard about this incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most of the craziness is in the last 20 minutes or so but it's a strong episode regardless and you don't really need to watch the screen when they're just doing normal stuff. Can just kinda background it.

And now I want to download more classic episodes of loveline again.