Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Pbat is the only Terraria let's player for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well my son is the Creative Director for PBJ Gaming (the channel) which is how I know about Terraria in the first place so I'll finish that series. Expert seems truly frightening given the myriad deaths I've experienced playing this 'tutorial". :negative:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Expert is for people who make a bow and fire arrows in the first 30 seconds of play instead of a sword and who know how to dodge stuff. It can be really frustrating starting out but after a while you get used to it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Expert mode is for masochists, don't worry too much about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Expert is for people who've already beaten the game on normal difficulty. It's not too good for anyone who's still on the learning curve.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

By the way to clear things up, expert mode is a setting you select on world generation, it a separate thing from hardmode which is what you enter on any world after killing the wall of flesh.

Hardmode is a pretty bad name for what it is at this point since the vast majority of the game takes place post-hardmode, but when i don't think anyone expected the game to evolve past it as much as it did.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also totally separate from hardcore, which is a character setting that is also pointless.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also totally separate from hardcore, which is a character setting that is also pointless.

All of these things together mean you can have an expert hardcore hardmode character/world and that is funny as hell to somebody like me who has been playing this since release.

Maybe the reason they had to split the update in two was because they ran out of time trying to think up more descriptors.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So I'm in hard mode on Android with a Night's Edge and Cobalt armor. Is there anything in particular I should be looking into to be a tank? Basic guides aren't useful because they're recommending I look for worse kit than I already have, and what I have is barely workable for my fat thumbs on the screen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So I'm in hard mode on Android with a Night's Edge and Cobalt armor. Is there anything in particular I should be looking into to be a tank? Basic guides aren't useful because they're recommending I look for worse kit than I already have, and what I have is barely workable for my fat thumbs on the screen.

Melee is going to be really hard for a while because there are few decent melee weapons available in early hardmode on mobile besides incrementally better swords. You could try poking around in the underground snow, you might get an Ice Sickle to drop, it shoots a piercing projectile every swing. Other than that try hanging out at the top of hell looking for hardmode ore deposits, they're bigger down there and hell enemies aren't very threatening.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

If you want to stick fast to melee in early hardmode you want to be using the pwnhammer the Wall dropped, it's got knockback like you won't see on other weapons for a while and that's one of your strongest defenses as a melee character.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I don't know if Android has yo-yos yet but any attempt at melee without prioritizing those is going to be a bit torturous.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ooCepgfsJ8

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-overhaul-gameplay-enhancements-and-much-more.60369/

Someone posted this earlier, and it looks pretty neat. They call it the Terraria Overhaul, and judging by the changelog posted on the forums page, it's pretty comprehensive.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Looks interesting as something that doesn't really change content, just changes how you play the game. Gonna give this a try.

I just loaded up an old world with this mod active and everything is on fire :lol:
Guess I'll start a fresh world.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I installed it to give it a try, and it has this awful mouselook, like you're looking through a scope permanently. It's super disorienting when you're trying to dig or move around.

It's also an odd complaint, but it doesn't feel like it adds enough? By the name "Terraria Overhaul" I'm expecting something besides "it's the vanilla game, but with different movement and attack mechanics."

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

You can alter the .json file to remove the mouselook, thankfully. A couple other things can be altered there, too.

I can't say I care for the changes, especially the removal of invincibility frames. Fall into a small pit with a slime? Instant death, pretty much. The way melee attacks make my character lurch forward is really annoying too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It looks, from the trailer, like combat was made more purposeful and slow paced, with a lot less bumping around and high speed motion. More deliberate, I suppose is the word I'm looking for.
Which is well and good for early game up to the goblin invasion I guess, but unless they totally rehauled the bosses it's still going to be a mess of laser spam and semi-homing projectiles once you reach hardmode, so if bosses are all full speed and you're slowed down (and have no invulnerability) then good luck surviving anything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like a mess. Also gently caress durability systems.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

It's also buggy. I died underground and ran over to my hellevator shaft to go back and retrieve my money only to find my rope leading down had vanished.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It looks like you'd want to turn off about half the features in this pack too.
Really, the slower and more forceful combat really is appealing in its own way, but you'd have to change the entire game to balance it. It's a fundamental complaint people have had for ages, but once you get to Hardmode, bosses and enemies largely stop being about patterns and dodging and more about just flying in circles hoping their tiny, superfast projectiles don't hit you. Early on, fighting the worm, the eye, skeletron, etc., you get attacks that have a wind-up, that show you where to move and where not to move, and give you a chance to get out of the way. Compare the slowly-encroaching zombies and the slimes who time their jumps to late game enemies that just blow instant shots at you the second they have you lined up. Most late-game fights become clusterfucks of enemy limbs and projectiles. It's almost a bullet hell, but your character has too much inertia and not enough reflexive speed to weave around bullets in the way you need to be able to do in a bullet hell game.
Take away invincibility frames and increase damage and I can't imagine that being better. If they somehow rebalanced the entire game to make it so enemies were also slower and more deliberate in combat, I'd be all over this, but it's pretty clear they just slowed you down and let the twins and the pillars and the moon lord continue to blitz around the screen at supersonic speed and flood your vision with bullets.

I'm still probably gonna try it anyway, though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey guys I'm unsure of where to go from here. I'm in Hardmode, I have a Godly KO Cannon, a Demonic Clockwork Assault Rifle, a mix of Molten and Orichalum armor, Obsidian Shield, and some movement accessories. Should I start fishing for stuff? I was going to try to get the Dao Pao weapon, but there's no Hallowed Desert in my world.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Lorini posted:

Hey guys I'm unsure of where to go from here. I'm in Hardmode, I have a Godly KO Cannon, a Demonic Clockwork Assault Rifle, a mix of Molten and Orichalum armor, Obsidian Shield, and some movement accessories. Should I start fishing for stuff? I was going to try to get the Dao Pao weapon, but there's no Hallowed Desert in my world.

You could get some hallow seeds (I think the dryad sells them in hardmode) and plant them next to a desert to create a Hallowed Desert.

Fishing could be good, but it might be a good idea to look for Adamantite/Titanium ore before going after the hardmode bosses.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lorini posted:

Since you seem to be focusing on melee/ranged damage, what I recommend is making yourself some Frost Armor. It costs 46 bars of Titanium/Adamantite and 3 Frost Cores, but it's one of the best general hard mode sets you can get outside of the super specialized stuff. It causes all of your melee and ranged attacks to inflict the frostburn debuff on enemies. You can also make a pretty strong ranged weapon by combining a shotgun (from the arms dealer), 2 dark shards, and 10 souls of night.

Also, you mentioned "some movement accessories" does that include wings? If not, you should go harpy hunting. Be prepared for Falcor.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Since you seem to be focusing on melee/ranged damage, what I recommend is making yourself some Frost Armor. It costs 46 bars of Titanium/Adamantite and 3 Frost Cores, but it's one of the best general hard mode sets you can get outside of the super specialized stuff. It causes all of your melee and ranged attacks to inflict the frostburn debuff on enemies. You can also make a pretty strong ranged weapon by combining a shotgun (from the arms dealer), 2 dark shards, and 10 souls of night.

Also, you mentioned "some movement accessories" does that include wings? If not, you should go harpy hunting. Be prepared for Falcor.

No I don't have Wings. How do I find Floating Islands? Isn't that where the harpy's are? I'll look up Falcor :)

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Falcor's just a nickname for the Wyvern, it looks like the guy from the Neverending Story. They'll spawn anywhere high enough that Harpies appear but you'll want a wide space to fight them on, plus a decent ranged weapon to actually hit them. As for actually finding the islands, pop a gravitation potion for the easiest time, or just build a line of dirt straight up. They also have an increased chance of spawning near hills so check around them first.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I looked up Wyvern's and it looks like it's pretty hard to fight them without titanium armor, so I'm working on getting a set. Looks like it'll be a long long time as I'm not finding much sadly.

Thanks everyone!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

My recommended method for finding adamantite/titanium is to go down to Hell and fly up around its ceiling with a spelunker potion active.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lorini posted:

I looked up Wyvern's and it looks like it's pretty hard to fight them without titanium armor, so I'm working on getting a set. Looks like it'll be a long long time as I'm not finding much sadly.

Thanks everyone!

you can kill them with early hardmode stuff. you can teleport back to your home and they'll follow you so you won't even be at risk of losing anyway if you die. its definitely worth trying, the wings are incredibly helpful

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah, even on hardmode the wyvern isn't too difficult. Lure it down to an arena if you want to be safe (especially since harpies will continue to spawn if you fight it up high) but with a little bit of dodging practice you'll be totally fine. And the wings are worth it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah, even on hardmode the wyvern isn't too difficult. Lure it down to an arena if you want to be safe (especially since harpies will continue to spawn if you fight it up high) but with a little bit of dodging practice you'll be totally fine. And the wings are worth it.

Alrighty I will give it a shot. I have an arena set up next to my house, maybe I'll move the nurse even closer to the arena.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you haven't learned it yet, breaking more altars spawns more hard mode ores, so try that if you're looking for more adamantine too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

If you haven't learned it yet, breaking more altars spawns more hard mode ores, so try that if you're looking for more adamantine too.

I broke three, I should break more?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lorini posted:

Very yes! Save the altar closest to your base for crafting purposes, break the rest of them with a vengeance.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lorini posted:

Yeah, break literally every altar save one (and even if you do smash the last one, don't worry). The only use they serve is for crafting a small handful of items, and only really one which is useful to the endgame, so you could always just bring that stuff to a newly generated world to craft if you wanted to smash all the altars.

Smashing an altar generates more hardmode ore but it also, if I recall correctly, will randomly convert some small number of blocks to hallow/corruption/crimson meaning it'll start to spread a little faster as well. But the usual MO is just to smash all the altars, then use Spelunker Potions to zero in on the right ores to turbo-farm your way to Titanium/Adamantite.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well twice I found a Wyvern and went home, and twice it didn't follow me. I tried fighting one in the air but I don't think my armor is good enough. I broke about 8 or so altars but still no titanium. I'm going down to where I fought the Wall of Flesh, is that the right place to find it?

Thanks all, so much appreciated, I was getting so frustrated.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Lorini posted:

Well twice I found a Wyvern and went home, and twice it didn't follow me. I tried fighting one in the air but I don't think my armor is good enough. I broke about 8 or so altars but still no titanium. I'm going down to where I fought the Wall of Flesh, is that the right place to find it?

You won't find it in Hell itself, but up around the ceiling where the terrain starts to become regular stone and dirt again you can find it sometimes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

I broke about 8 or so altars but still no titanium.
Are you sure the altars spawned titanium and not adamantite?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lorini posted:

Thanks all, so much appreciated, I was getting so frustrated.

its above hell but pretty close. also your world might have adamantium instead, which looks a lot like copper if your using the the mining potion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Are you sure the altars spawned titanium and not adamantite?

I have a metal detector and it's found titanium which I got. But not much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Probably easier to fish for titanium really.