Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

lohli posted:

Oh my god I had no idea holding breath was a thing in this game.

Yeah seriously, this is like firing modes, scope zeroing and the hand brake all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, how does falling into water work in regards to fall damage? Is it safe to bail off the side of the bridge if the alternative is being shot?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Evilreaver posted:

Out of curiosity, how does falling into water work in regards to fall damage? Is it safe to bail off the side of the bridge if the alternative is being shot?

Yes. As long as your legs don't hit the ground/rocks (jumping off a cliff into shallow water) you'll be fine

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

lohli posted:

These sorts of payment models are usually supported by dysfunctional people who can't help but spend a poo poo ton of money, and if you look at what happened with TF2 and CS:GO you had multiple levels of gambling with people having to pay for a chance at a hat/skin and then another explicit culture of gambling with all the sites that let people bet their hats.

I don't really have a problem with random rewards for special events like contributing to a tournament prize pool or whatever as long as the available stuff is all sort of worth it, I think there's a meaningful difference between the available rewards all being quite desirable and there being a 99% chance that you're going to get another set of grey pants, and I think that's a good place to draw the line between gambling and a blind goody-bag

Good post. I hadn't considered the history of the payment model to be honest, that's a great set of points. I figured the internet was being the internet and finding something to be faux-outraged over, but again, good points. I think you've actually changed my mind. Thanks for the effort man.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

lohli posted:

Oh my god I had no idea holding breath was a thing in this game.

When you run out, crouch and hold still for a second and it will refill faster. Walking/running affect it too. Prone might, not sure. Holding until it the lungs are red and blinky will make it refill slower than if it's white.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

It's weird to see all these people get worked up and upset about "gambling" loot boxes when baseball cards, MTG, pokemon, etc. have been around for longer than video games have even been a thing, and I don't recall ever seeing many people get this bent out of shape about those over the years.

Based on the last page it seems to be more about someone's lack of research into gambling addiction.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I just had a situation where there were two left and the timer on the circle stopped at 1 right before the last one. The other person alive was nowhere in sight. The timer stayed frozen for a good 5 minutes while I waited around. Then all of a sudden it started constricting again and the other guy died before the circle got all the way in. What the gently caress?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You reached the final timer. It just freezes and gives you guys time to murder yourselves. If you take too long to do that, it starts to collapse all the way

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Elentor posted:

You reached the final timer. It just freezes and gives you guys time to murder yourselves. If you take too long to do that, it starts to collapse all the way

Yeah but why couldnt I find him anywhere?

Here's the spot we were at https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/847094133793622234/FC098F7F9DA3FA82A5B59449ADF5C410FA76AE58/

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

tehinternet posted:

Good post. I hadn't considered the history of the payment model to be honest, that's a great set of points. I figured the internet was being the internet and finding something to be faux-outraged over, but again, good points. I think you've actually changed my mind. Thanks for the effort man.

Just to give the first line a little more context, here's a report by a mobile games company detailing spending for their freemium games which is sort of applicable: http://landingpage.swrve.com/rs/swrve/images/swrve-monetization-report-0114.pdf

Highlights:
  • In a given month only 1.5% of players will spend any money at all
  • A full 50% of revenue derives from the top 10% of payers. To add further context, if we express that group as a % of total players they represent a mere 0.15% of that group.
    That number bears repeating: 0.15% of all monthly players contribute 50% of total revenue.
  • 13% of revenue comes solely from the top 1% of payers.
  • conversely a full 50% of all paying players contribute little over 11% of all revenues.

As a non-freemium game the revenue contributions are going to be different overall(since you need to buy the game), but I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are basically the same when only taking into account microtransaction stuff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

had no idea the circle got that goddamn small.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

tehinternet posted:

I like how you're blaming him for your own inability to grasp a simple concept. Hes such a goon for not explaining how stupid I am! ugh

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

had no idea the circle got that goddamn small.

It sucks when it gets that small in an urban environment, and 3 people are still alive while refusing (or sometimes unable from the blue cutoff) to get out of their building.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I've been trying to practice jumping on top of stuff on the spawn island, specifically those tires in front of the shipping container. For some reason i can't seem to get onto the shipping container. I tried hitting crouch and jump at the same time, but my character doesn't seem to jump. So i do jump then crouch immediately, but i can't seem to get over.

I see other folks making the jump, what am i doing wrong?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Have you tried using your thumb for both at the same time?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It sucks when it gets that small in an urban environment, and 3 people are still alive while refusing (or sometimes unable from the blue cutoff) to get out of their building.

Yeah hopefully they tweak the algorithm so it always ultimately falls on an area that only has a single level. Even the second to last circle can have multiple levels but with the last circle being guaranteed it would add an element where players would have to make sure they have an exit strategy to wherever they go.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Dyz posted:

Based on the last page it seems to be more about someone's lack of research into gambling addiction.

This derail isn't an isolated incident. It's not even isolated to this thread, and they always go the same way with the same arguments on both sides.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Those 2 long canals connect to each other via an underground tunnel. He might have been in the right pixel of that tunnel to be safe for that final circle, but there was no way for him to leave it without dying to the blue zone.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

odiv posted:

Have you tried using your thumb for both at the same time?

Haven't tried that yet, i was using my index finger for c (crouch) and thumb for spacebar (jump)... dunno why using thumb for both would work better, i seem to be hitting both at the same time. Guess i'll try tonight, thanks.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Haven't tried that yet, i was using my index finger for c (crouch) and thumb for spacebar (jump)... dunno why using thumb for both would work better, i seem to be hitting both at the same time. Guess i'll try tonight, thanks.

Thumb will get you more consistent results because instead of trying to get the timing right between presses with different digits it'll just be about how fast you put your thumb down, but if you're desperate you could probably setup an autohotkey bind or something for it.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Those culverts connect underground and part of the underground is in the circle:

He went down there and then got trapped by the walls and was unable to get out. Also explains why he died first since he did not have a ton of room down there.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No idea, maybe he was exploiting something, underground.

Edit: Or what was said above.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 14, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

He's in that bush, what are you blind?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I can't remember if I posted this here before, and this probably wasn't it in your case, but this is an interesting experiment where someone gets 2nd in duos by just autorunning to the centre of every circle then going prone and the opposing team just does not see the guy.

http://www.joshmillard.com/2017/08/11/operation-autorun-a-plunkbat-story-in-two-parts/

quote:

So they circle the whole area, hopping and dodging and weaving to avoid the incoming fire they’re expecting at any moment, and they’re getting behind the few trees there are in this wee final circle, hoping to find this guy, this ninja, this loving Plunkbat wizard who is giving them the business. They circle everything, and they do it again. They run past Haus several times, like RIGHT past him. They stop and look at him, and then move on. They circle again, they start shooting everything. Trees. Rocks. Grass. More rocks. There’s not even anything to shoot but they shoot it.

They shoot everything but Haus, at whom they keep looking and then moving on.

And we’re on voice chat just losing our minds, because how is this happening? But it’s happening, and it’s taking an unbearable amount of time to happen. I don’t know exactly how long the delay between the final circle settling down and then the Crushing Doom as it finally shrinks away to nothingness is, but even though I’d guess its about a minute or so, based on my subjective experience from this episode it’s actually something like three hours because HOW IS THIS HAPPENING.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

odiv posted:

I can't remember if I posted this here before, and this probably wasn't it in your case, but this is an interesting experiment where someone gets 2nd in duos by just autorunning to the centre of every circle then going prone and the opposing team just does not see the guy.

http://www.joshmillard.com/2017/08/11/operation-autorun-a-plunkbat-story-in-two-parts/

Yeah, you posted this several days ago, and I still don't understand why anybody would read through that wall of text when they can find well-edited YouTube clips of similar antics.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Eh, some of us are old.

Anyway, sorry for the repeat.

I'd appreciate a link to said YouTube videos actually.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 14, 2017

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Discospawn posted:

Yeah, you posted this several days ago, and I still don't understand why anybody would read through that wall of text when they can find well-edited YouTube clips of similar antics.

Because they were bored at work and can read amusing stories but not watch videos with sound.

At least that's why I read it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I can't believe how long it took me to figure out that hip firing is nearly useless. So many times I'd hipfire and completely miss my target only to have them kill me with a few well placed shots. Seems like that sort of thing should be spelled out. The reticle makes it seem like hip firing should be somewhat reliable. But no.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally started having some success landing on the school. Turns out when your framerate is stable it's much easier to come out on top of a bunch of quick skirmishes. Close quarters crossbow kills :getin:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I can't believe how long it took me to figure out that hip firing is nearly useless. So many times I'd hipfire and completely miss my target only to have them kill me with a few well placed shots. Seems like that sort of thing should be spelled out. The reticle makes it seem like hip firing should be somewhat reliable. But no.

Well it works when you have an uzi and you hold right click and get up in their loving grill

Or also stand still. But yeah past like 10m probably just ADS

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I've been killed for right-click hipfiring at the distance of across a living room with the 416 before. Always aim.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I did the same thing yesterday except instead of running and going prone I drove a car and parked in a way that I could sit in it and also be in a bush

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Bad news on the horizon apparently

quote:

Bluehole-Kakaogames to sign publisher agreement for PUBG

(https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6tlj5g/blueholekakaogames_to_sign_publisher_agreement/)

quote:

No articles I could find in english yet, so the Korean link will have to do for now.
This is an absolutely disastrous decision for them to make. Kakaogames has not only hosed up numerous promising games like Tera or BDO, but also they are all about the money.
Soon, this game will turn into a pay to win with people spawning with weapon accessories at the start. You're gonna see things like '10 day 4x Scope' items that give you 2 4x scope from the start. The game will be absolutely ruined by the hands of highly inexperienced and money driven korean game publishers ( who have a lovely record of mmorpgs and recently flooding the mobile game industry with cookie cutter gamble money drainers). I mean even China has better publishers who can see the bigger picture and have really increased their ability and capacity despite them also growing up on cookie cutter mmorpgs.
I just pray that in any case, the damage will be limited to Korean servers (as much as I would hate it since I'm in Korea) and let the world enjoy a less monetized pubg. Its the first good game to come from a domestic developer (plus the long developed idea from PU himself).

quote:

Kakao is literally using their games as a loving cash cow to fund their other stuff, like taxi service ETC. They aren't a real publisher. This is actually disaster, don't expect this game to live the 10 years that PU wanted. Bluehole will be forced to add as many cash cow features as they can, then they will be downsized until only the bare minimum staff remain who can maintain and implement more skins or whatever, until no one plays it. The worst part is, despite the blatant monetization, they won't actually invest back into the game, all the money will go towards their taxi and other services.
I played BDO. We were promised over and over again, "this game will not go p2w, this game will not go p2w. We will cater to our American and European audience" Every patch, they introduced one or two minor things, the community would be in an uproar because they were skirting the edges of what was acceptable, but there would be enough people saying "this isn't REALLY p2w so it's ok!" so that they could continue. Then they went full p2w overtime. Despite promising over and over that they wouldn't. They ruined what was supposed to be the next dream pvp mmorpg and turned it into a pure cash cow.
RIP our hopes and dreams.

But let's keep talking about how reneging on the no-paid-content-in-EA-promise is no big deal

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I haven't done any bush-hiding since I started playing 1pp. Is it even possible to stay concealed while getting a view of your surroundings? I'm always convinced some part of me is sticking out when I cant spin my camera around to check

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Apparently this is for Asia distribution. I doubt it will fly anywhere else. At least I hope so. It would be royally stupid to ruin the game this way. Streamers won't play the game, and the competitive scene will die meaning the game will die.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6tlj5g/blueholekakaogames_to_sign_publisher_agreement/dllzh66/

quote:

You generally need a local partner to manage your game in some countries, namely South Korea and China.
Like take Dota 2, they have to use Perfect World in China, and in Korea they used Nexon to run their servers. Nexon eventually gave up on Dota 2 since it wasn't a hit in Korea, so without a local partner there are no Korean Dota 2 servers.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I thought they already had a fair amount of market penetration into Korea and Japan at least? We've had a number of East Asians fill in the 4th slot of squads before and my group plays on NA servers only.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i dont care if people do cosmetic poo poo that costs money because i dont give a gently caress about cosmetic poo poo

BDO was p obviously going to be p2w from the start you could tell because every thing was set up and designed so it could be anyone who thought different was a loving idiot

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 14, 2017

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Mash posted:

(https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6tlj5g/blueholekakaogames_to_sign_publisher_agreement/)

But let's keep talking about how reneging on the no-paid-content-in-EA-promise is no big deal

Doubtful. Lots of games have region-specific publishers. Like Path of Exile with their Chinese Garena realm that doesn't affect development elsewhere. The sky's not falling yet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Mash posted:

It seems like a single edaily.co.kr article may be a bit early to start saying the sky is falling. This could be a marketing deal or just a deal with a company that has a local presence, there is nothing about giving full creative control. This sounds a lot more like, as the the article says, an agreement in Korea.. It's not unusual for software developers to use publishers in different regions.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

Because they were bored at work and can read amusing stories but not watch videos with sound.

At least that's why I read it.

The 2 best ones that I watch are:
https://www.youtube.com/user/dearsomeone/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3aQIvtEe19EE24emTpdTQ/videos (this channel recently removed all their old videos due to copyright issues from people submitting videos that weren't theirs)

Didn't mean to poo poo on the written article, it just seemed like something from the 90's when you'd have PlanetQuake articles like that every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

The Mash posted:

I didn't give a poo poo about that because I didn't know they said it, and I don't care that they lied because I don't open or look at loot boxes anyways.

This seems really bad though, if an unsourced reddit comment is to be believed.

Hopefully the sky isn't falling.

• Locked thread