Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Because Cars 3 and the Emoji movie are the only current topics of discussion

There's the nut job 2!

Let's not talk about the nut job 2

The Rifle's Spiral by The Shins has a neat video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqWjl7GkCE

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmNXShbCUZI

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The_Doctor posted:

Gravity Falls if you've never watched that? OtGW is pretty unique, honestly.

I keep hearing about this, how it has X-Files-level depth of in-show mythology. If so that would be right up my alley! The art style annoys me though.

Also was the Ducktales premiere any good? :3:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Has anyone heard any buzz on In This Corner Of The World? I never heard of it before I saw that it's playing near me. Might see it this weekend. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8FvaLoGeY

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Hedrigall posted:

We just finished watching and while I was a little put off by the animation initially, the show is so funny it more than makes up for it! I'm excited to see more episodes, hopefully they release it on a more regular schedule than Gravity Falls.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

plainswalker75 posted:

We just finished watching and while I was a little put off by the animation initially, the show is so funny it more than makes up for it! I'm excited to see more episodes, hopefully they release it on a more regular schedule than Gravity Falls.

That's awesome to hear. The humour in the trailers alone has me so pumped, and I even love the new animation style.

There's now a break before the rest of the season airs right? I think I remember looking it up and the series proper starts when I'm in japan. Oh well, something to look forward to for when I get back home :)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

I keep hearing about this, how it has X-Files-level depth of in-show mythology. If so that would be right up my alley! The art style annoys me though.

If you're interested in checking out Gravity Falls (Which I highly recommend, it's a fantastic series), then I'd also look at Star vs the Forces of Evil. It's a slower burn than Gravity Falls and takes until the second season to really get consistently good (Though there's certainly plenty of good episodes in the first season), but it's a great series and the recent third season premiere in particular was incredible.

With regard to DuckTales, I'm about halfway through the premiere and I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I actually really like the art style they went with-it gives the feeling of the show being ripped right out of the comic pages

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm really digging the personalities they gave the triplets and webby in the reboot, and the scattered plot threads they had.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Speaking of Ducktales, I'm surprised none of the people talking about Disney's planned streaming service mentioned the prospect of having the original series readily available online. Plus Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, and so forth.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Or all of Gargoyles, which would be nice cuz I kinda wanna check that one out sometime.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I just want to watch Fillmore legally

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh man I hope Disney's streaming thing is available outside the US (it won't be :sigh:)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Speaking of Ducktales, I'm surprised none of the people talking about Disney's planned streaming service mentioned the prospect of having the original series readily available online. Plus Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, and so forth.

I'm going to be honest and say that going back and rewatching the original DuckTales was... disappointing. Definitely one of those shows that's better left remembered. For me, I mean. Others may disagree.

I still have very fond memories of Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin though so I can't decide whether I want to indulge and be disappointed or just remember them fondly.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watched the premiere and loved it. Can't wait for the full series.

Did anyone catch the Goofy Movie character cameo?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

nerdman42 posted:

I just want to watch Fillmore legally

I found Fillmore really boring when I was younger, it wasn't until I watched an episode of it on youtube a year or two ago when I found out it was actually pretty fantastic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to be honest and say that going back and rewatching the original DuckTales was... disappointing. Definitely one of those shows that's better left remembered. For me, I mean. Others may disagree.

I still have very fond memories of Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin though so I can't decide whether I want to indulge and be disappointed or just remember them fondly.

A lot of the Disney Afternoon stuff was great for its time, but now perhaps best left in memory, especially since the bar's been raised a fair bit; cartoons are allowed to have continuity now, for one.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I thought the episodes were a bit uneven and the characters kind of obnoxious and shriekey at times. And they never ever slowed down to let jokes or moments breathe. But the characters got better in the second episode and overall it was a good, fun time and I will give the rest a go. I will probably have to re-watch some scenes a couple of times before I understand what Donald's saying, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Edit: I definitely didn't see the cliffhanger coming, haha

Edit 2: Oh and making Wendy part of the crew and giving the boys personalities definitely was the correct decision.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 13, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OsX9l_5b-c

plainswalker75 posted:

I finished watching the Ducktales premiere and then I looked up when the next episode would premiere and it is at the end of September and the phantom pain of waiting for new eps of Gravity Falls came back to me all at once.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you're interested in checking out Gravity Falls (Which I highly recommend, it's a fantastic series), then I'd also look at Star vs the Forces of Evil. It's a slower burn than Gravity Falls and takes until the second season to really get consistently good (Though there's certainly plenty of good episodes in the first season), but it's a great series and the recent third season premiere in particular was incredible.

I've been working through Star vs as a show to have on in the background while I work on things since some artist friends I know swear by it, I just started season 2 and I can see how the story is going to start opening up but as is I really enjoy it just for a cute, mindless thing. Star has an agressiveness and reckless disregard for human life and collateral damage that makes the show way more engaging than it should be and that you don't see a lot of in general.

Hedrigall posted:

Watched the premiere and loved it. Can't wait for the full series.

Did anyone catch the Goofy Movie character cameo?

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who immediately thought that that was Roxanne.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Are there any decent docs/youtube series about the production of Rock-A-Doodle? Watched it last night for the first time in years and there are a lot more awkward edits and dropped storylines/character beats than I remember. I know a lot of changes had to be made to get it down to PG, and I was hoping someone might have done a deep dive into Bluth around the time he was working on it and All Dogs Go to Heaven. Anything on East of the Sun, West of the Moon would be rad too.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Someone at Discotek watches my YouTube channel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
bona fide Divisive Movie, Anomalisa, is free to stream on Prime. I strongly recommend it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Surprising nobody, Nut Job 2's opening is abysmal. Cartoon Brew makes it out to be a record worst all-time opening, though I dunno how true that actually is (there has to be some small film nobody's ever heard of that opened worse, surely).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pick posted:

bona fide Divisive Movie, Anomalisa, is free to stream on Prime. I strongly recommend it.

As do I.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Shadow Hog posted:

Surprising nobody, Nut Job 2's opening is abysmal. Cartoon Brew makes it out to be a record worst all-time opening, though I dunno how true that actually is (there has to be some small film nobody's ever heard of that opened worse, surely).

It's worst opening on more than 4000, or some such, screens specifically. There was the last movie Jessica Simpson did that opened on literally one screen in Dallas, or some such Texas city, to meet a contract obligation. I'm sure that grossed all of no dollars.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Is this a good thread to talk about The Congress and the fact that it loving owns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPGhw4nACfk

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

What about Delgo? That's gotta still have some kind of record, right?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Neon Noodle posted:

Is this a good thread to talk about The Congress and the fact that it loving owns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPGhw4nACfk

More than two decades after catapulting to stardom with The Princess Bride, an aging actress (Robin Wright, playing a version of herself) decides to take her final job - preserving her digital likeness for a future Hollywood. Through a deal brokered by her loyal, longtime agent (Harvey Keitel) and the head of Miramount Studios (Danny Huston), her alias will ....

Where the gently caress did this come from I need it immediately

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It's weird as gently caress

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Holy poo poo Despicable Me 3 made 920M? I guess people have no goddamn taste, but the minions were barely in the film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Children
Love
Minions

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I guess children don't really know beforehand that the minions aren't really in the film.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

In fact, the entire franchise is currently the top-grossing animated film franchise of all time, narrowly edging out previous record-holder Shrek by ~$40 million.

As far as top ten goes, Disney/Pixar max out at 5th place with Toy Story - though that can be attributed to them generally being more inclined to produce or adapt new stories over big-budget sequels to old ones (at least, until Ralph Breaks the Internet lands next year - and they did try earlier with The Rescuers Down Under, but Home Alone ate its lunch at the box office).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

wdarkk posted:

I guess children don't really know beforehand that the minions aren't really in the film.

You wouldn't know that by the marketing and happy meal toys.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

My Father
Loves
Minions

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Children and Middle-Aged Women love Minions, it's insane how many middle-aged soccer moms love to post images of a random minion with some kind of snarky quote or inappropriately thoughtful inspirational text on facebook.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Minions might have replaced that abhorrent old lady cartoon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robindaybird posted:

Children and Middle-Aged Women love Minions, it's insane how many middle-aged soccer moms love to post images of a random minion with some kind of snarky quote or inappropriately thoughtful inspirational text on facebook.

I'd guess this is the key to they're popularity. Kids are probably the secondary market for Minions, the primary market is parents.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

Woah I didn't know tweety bird died

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You did it Sylvester :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sylvester also died