Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Look, it's like a job interview. Every job you interview for, you act like it's going to be the last job you ever take and that you'll work there forever. Even though most people job hop every 2 years and everyone knows this, it's all the polite lie, the kayfabe if you will, that we do as society.

Relationships are the same thing. If you're getting into a long term relationship, you have to act like it's going to be the last one you'll ever have, even though everyone knows it most likely won't be.

Also

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Don't get into indefinite long-distance relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Me [25 m] with my SO [24 M/F] Girlfriend has a very different "romantic" and Disney view of love that I don't. How do I explain to her that it's not that I don't love her, it's that we aren't living a fairy tale.
I had a girlfriend like this for a few months and she was a /r/relationships bingo. Loved to buy me gifts that I would never want (like stuffed animals and jewelry), thought every cashier/server girl was flirting with me and that I was flirting back, and got mad at me if I so much as noticed that there are other girls in the world.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

She flat out said she will never learn to drive, so "don't even expect that from me. And I don't care if you judge me." 

Well, gently caress you then. I can see there's no reason to continue this discussion. Get a bike, bitch.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WampaLord posted:

Look, it's like a job interview. Every job you interview for, you act like it's going to be the last job you ever take and that you'll work there forever. Even though most people job hop every 2 years and everyone knows this, it's all the polite lie, the kayfabe if you will, that we do as society.

I once put up a homeless Republican at the behest of my brother.

Dude was in his 50s and his story was that the collapse of print publishing and a divorce hit him hard and he was barely making anything basically doing blog busking for donations. In spite of literally having shelter due to my effete liberal kindness he remained (1) a Republican and (2) too good for any job that would take him.

I remember he came back from an interview at a pizzeria and knew it went bad because when the manager asked if he was there long term and had a passion for pizza he "couldn't lie." He had decades on me and hadn't figured out that if you were interviewing at the button factory to put a roof over your head then holy heck you showed up and were playing the role of someone with an all-consuming passion for buttons.

Needless to say he was an albacore around our necks and I was glad when he was someone else's basement dweller.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I had a girlfriend like this for a few months and she was a /r/relationships bingo. Loved to buy me gifts that I would never want (like stuffed animals and jewelry), thought every cashier/server girl was flirting with me and that I was flirting back, and got mad at me if I so much as noticed that there are other girls in the world.

There are men somewhere on this planet that are acting happy about getting stuffed animals as gifts and reinforcing this behavior and they need to knock it the gently caress off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

an albacore around our necks

I hope this was intentional, because it's great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

tactlessbastard posted:

There are men somewhere on this planet that are acting happy about getting stuffed animals as gifts and reinforcing this behavior and they need to knock it the gently caress off.

~my girlfriend~ noticed that I have an affinity for possums and got me a little stuffed possum that I adore and lives in my car as Erasmus the Dashboard Trash Cat.

If she got me more stuffed animals it would admittedly start to get weird but the one was a sweet and thoughtful gift.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I hope this was intentional, because it's great.

Yeah I know it's supposed to be the other thing, the bird, but I prefer it my way.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

~my girlfriend~ noticed that I have an affinity for possums and got me a little stuffed possum that I adore and lives in my car as Erasmus the Dashboard Trash Cat.

If she got me more stuffed animals it would admittedly start to get weird but the one was a sweet and thoughtful gift.

Yeah I know it's supposed to be the other thing, the bird, but I prefer it my way.

Dammit man you're part of the problem!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

I feel like either one of them could be the rear end in a top hat in that situation. Yeah, long term relationships require work, and if you hadn't met your current partner, you would have probably invested that work in a different relationship with someone else, that might have been equally fulfilling... but you don't tell your current partner that.

On the other hand, constantly fishing for your partner to affirm that, had they not met you, the one true love of their life, they would have been doomed to an inferior existence without true happiness is some childish poo poo.

she's insanely jealous and he chose the most reddity possible way to manage that situation

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

tactlessbastard posted:

Well, gently caress you then. I can see there's no reason to continue this discussion. Get a bike, bitch.

/r/relationships: Get a bike, bitch.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yawgmoth posted:

Same.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

thought every cashier/server girl was flirting with me and that I was flirting back,

Same. One time we were at a store and I thought the cashier looked familiar, so I said "do I know you?" She replied " I don't know, do you" and my gf is like "YOU hosed HER DIDN'T YOU" and I just said nah and shook my head. Then the cashier pipes up saying "TRAIN!", turns out I had and just forgotten. Oops

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Blue Train posted:

Same. One time we were at a store and I thought the cashier looked familiar, so I said "do I know you?" She replied " I don't know, do you" and my gf is like "YOU hosed HER DIDN'T YOU" and I just said nah and shook my head. Then the cashier pipes up saying "TRAIN!", turns out I had and just forgotten. Oops

You know if you were part of a train that ran on her it would make more sense for you to be less memorable to her than the other way around.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ha

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It's accurate but weird to say "hey I think we'd both probably find love again even if we broke up tomorrow" but I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about people you find attractive in a general sense and it's kinda weird to be so insecure you couldn't handle a convo over which bartender was cuter or something.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Dude was in his 50s and his story was that the collapse of print publishing and a divorce hit him hard and he was barely making anything basically doing blog busking for donations. In spite of literally having shelter due to my effete liberal kindness he remained (1) a Republican and (2) too good for any job that would take him.

I remember he came back from an interview at a pizzeria and knew it went bad because when the manager asked if he was there long term and had a passion for pizza he "couldn't lie." He had decades on me and hadn't figured out that if you were interviewing at the button factory to put a roof over your head then holy heck you showed up and were playing the role of someone with an all-consuming passion for buttons.

Needless to say he was an albacore around our necks and I was glad when he was someone else's basement dweller.

I've had a job, sometimes two or three, all throughout high school and college. I don't know exactly when, but it eventually sort of dawned on me that, "If this dude is stacking boxes at 55 years old in the back of a department store truck, making the same money as a 19 year old college student, maybe he doesn't have everything figured out??"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ArbitraryC posted:

It's accurate but weird to say "hey I think we'd both probably find love again even if we broke up tomorrow" but I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about people you find attractive in a general sense and it's kinda weird to be so insecure you couldn't handle a convo over which bartender was cuter or something.

Your younger sister is hotter but I think your older sister would be better in bed. What?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

People who fantasize about the idea of magical fairy tale love are really just projecting their need for the universe to give them a companionship which insulates their crippling security from any potential threat, and justifies their desire to be 100% selfish and never have to compromise.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
[New Mexico tribal lands] Local police took my phone and said I would never get it back; what are my rights?

quote:

I'm a U.S. citizen. I went to Santa Clara Pueblo, NM to see the feast day dancing. There was a sign in the parking lot saying "handheld electronic devices will be confiscated and not returned". I nevertheless attended the festival with my cell phone in my pocket (never taking it out). As I was walking back to my car, I took it out of my pocket and unlocked it. A man ran up to me and told me that cell phone use was prohibited and I would have to give him the phone. I refused. He said "will I have to get the police?" I said yes. He returned with a police officer who repeated the demand. I argued that I was out of sight of all the dancers and spectators and was in the process of returning to my car. I asked if I could simply leave the town and never return. He told me that I could give him the phone or go to jail. I gave him the phone.

I followed the officer (with his permission) to the police tent where he gave the phone to the sheriff. I asked the sheriff if I could appeal the seizure. The sheriff said that if I had been respectful he might have given me the opportunity to go to the tribal court and pay a fine to get the phone back, but since I had been disrespectful, I would never see the phone again. He considered it disrespectful that I had not immediately surrendered the phone to the first guy who asked me (who was not a police officer) and that I had argued with the second guy before surrendering it. I asked him for paperwork documenting the seizure of my phone, and he refused to give me any.

While I was at the tent, I heard a third officer saying to a couple of others who had just shown up, "anyone want a phone?" This may have been in reference to a stack of three phones (not including mine) on the table in front of him, which the sheriff had previously indicated as having been confiscated from other attendees. This led me to wonder if they were planning to just take the phones home with them without ever documenting the seizures, but of course I have no evidence for that other than the refusal to give me paperwork and the ambiguous question. It could have been a joke.

The phone is old and probably worth less than $100, and I'm not really interested in spending more than that to get it back. Also, I live 1000 miles away. Still, I'd like to know what my rights are, whether they were violated, and what my options might be. How much of state and federal law applies? Am I even protected by the Bill of Rights? Does the state government have any authority over the tribal police?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

blarzgh posted:

People who fantasize about the idea of magical fairy tale love are really just projecting their need for the universe to give them a companionship which insulates their crippling security from any potential threat, and justifies their desire to be 100% selfish and never have to compromise.

I had a girl break up with me after a month because she had just rewatched the notebook for the umpteenth time and we weren't like that. She didn't like the response of "because we actually exist?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

quote:

The phone is old and probably worth less than $100, and I'm not really interested in spending more than that to get it back. Also, I live 1000 miles away.

I don't know the legal answer but the poster makes the practical answer pretty obvious. Heed Awesome Humungus and just walk away.

All things considered a cheap lesson in the pettiness of local shitkicker sheriffs be they in some podunk town or on the res.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had a girl break up with me after a month because she had just rewatched the notebook for the umpteenth time and we weren't like that. She didn't like the response of "because we actually exist?"

Wait, if I'm remembering the plot right that's extra dumb. Did she want you to be the side guy, or the cucked fiance?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I once was conversing with a black co-worker about representation in The Star Wars (we were agreeing it was Good, and also Cool), and another black co-worker overheard and spun it off into a discussion over whether the preferred nomenclature was "black" or "african american" and instead of piping up and contributing with "well ~actually~ John Boyega is a British Subject," I did the Homer fading into the bushes move but with cubicles.

I feel this was the correct choice.

Considering British subjects (at least when we're talking about a dude born in Peckham) aren't a thing since

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nationality_Act_1948

you'd be right! :sun:

Edit: cripes good thing we don't have any colonies per se these days I guess

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 14, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Considering British subjects aren't a thing since

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nationality_Act_1948

you'd be right! :sun:

quote:

"Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies" (CUKC)

:eyepop:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Get cukced, natives

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

[New Mexico tribal lands] Local police took my phone and said I would never get it back; what are my rights?

lmao

you have the right to pound sand, any sand you pound on reservation land is subject to tribal jurisdiction. you have the right to an attorney, who will tell you to pound sand

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

quote:

There was a sign in the parking lot saying "handheld electronic devices will be confiscated and not returned". I nevertheless attended the festival with my cell phone in my pocket

el oh loving el :milk:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

You need to hire an expert.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

True, but at the same time, I can sympathize with him on that. It's kind of lovely that every employer needs someone with a "passion" for whatever job he's hiring for

i mean who the gently caress has a passion for pizzas

other than barb the pizza eater

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

True, but at the same time, I can sympathize with him on that. It's kind of lovely that every employer needs someone with a "passion" for whatever job he's hiring for

Oh, sure, it's a lovely tune, but if you're going to get by you have to at least know the steps to the dance.

:capitalism:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, when I was interviewing for Jimmy Johns in 2009, I was telling them exactly what they wanted to hear. "Yes sir, how high sir, etc."

Gotta bootlick to get by.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Yea, when I was interviewing for Jimmy Johns in 2009, I was telling them exactly what they wanted to hear. "Yes sir, how high sir, etc."

:capitalism:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"Fish, visitors, and cursed mariners smell after three days."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My Linux Rig posted:

It's a service industry job, nobody wants to be there but if you can't fake enthusiasm anyway what the hell use are you. it's an extremely easy test of your ability to perform a job a chimp could do and dude bombed it on purpose, cause he's not a chimp he's a fulltime leech

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 14, 2017

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

WampaLord posted:

Did you talk super fast so they knew you were Jimmy Johns fast?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArbitraryC posted:

Dog bit home intruder, intruder's mother threatening to sue for medical costs

Some more dog justice. Hope he posts a followup where they eat poo poo in court.

This is why homeowner's or renter's insurance has liability coverage.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's a service industry job, nobody wants to be there but if you can't fake enthusiasm anyway what the hell use are you. it's an extremely easy test of your ability to perform a job a chimp could do and dude bombed it on purpose, cause he's not a chimp he's a fulltime leech
Also when everyone and their mother is applying there because better paying low-skill jobs are going extinct, you might as well filter out the ones who don't want to play the game. :capitalism:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
How should I (19m) confront my gf (19f) about working out/diet changes?

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together for over 2 years, she has always been a little over what most would consider the "average weight" for her age, and It's never really bothered me, but she's started to gain quite a bit of weight lately, and I want her to be healthy. She complains about being overweight, not all the time, just sometimes, and she didn't go to any pool parties with me all summer because she's self conscious. We've tried working out together before but I can tell she doesn't push her self very hard. She also doesn't have a healthy diet, she eats chips and drinks Dr Pepper a lot. I've brought this to her attention that Dr Peppers, and diet could be part of her weight loss problems. She says she needs Dr Pepper for her migraines, although she has cut back some and I'm sure soda helps her headaches but I feel like it's also what causes them. I had a huge caffeine and pornography addiction in my past, but I overcame those addictions. I know what addiction is, and how hard it is to overcome them. And I want to help, her, I just don't know how. I keep my body healthy and fit, I just wish she would do the same. I want her to be healthy, and I think she is beautiful but I'm starting to lose some physical attraction to her, and I feel AWFUL for saying that. But she's not taking care of her body and it's a turn off, I've found myself looking at other women and i feel terrible for it. I could use any suggestions really. I feel that her health and weight would be a ridiculous reason for me to break up with her.

I have a prescription from Dr. Pepper.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

quote:

She says she needs Dr Pepper for her migraines

Lol

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

:sever: and embrace being shallow. Don't even tell her, you spineless weenie, just ghost her and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Dr. Pepper, MD, PhD, chair of neurology, Landwhale University