Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

purple death ray posted:

Ironically the spoilers might determine whether or not I care about Dark Nights: Metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just based on this, I think I'm good out here away from Dark Nights: Metal

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A bigger description of GL:Earth One courtesy of Amazon

quote:

In the newest installment of the Earth One original graphic novel line, writer/artist Gabriel Hardman (INVISIBLE REPUBLIC) creates an all-new origin for the Emerald Warrior in GREEN LANTERN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1!

Hal Jordan yearns for the thrill of discovery, but the days when astronaut and adventure were synonymous are long past. His gig prospecting asteroids for Ferris Galactic is less than fulfilling--but least he's not on Earth, where technology and culture have stagnated. He might be a nobody, but he's in space.

When Jordan finds a powerful ring, he also finds a destiny to live up to. There are worlds beyond his own, unlike anything he ever imagined. But revelation comes with a price: the Green Lantern Corps has fallen, long since murdered by ruthless killing machines known as Manhunters. The odds against reinstating the Corps are nearly impossible...but doing the impossible is exactly what an astronaut like Hal Jordan was trained to do.

From creator Gabriel Hardman, the critically acclaimed author of INVISIBLE REPUBLIC, comes a soaring new epic original graphic novel in the tradition of the best-selling WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 by Grant Morrison and BATMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 by Geoff Johns! GREEN LANTERN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 is a radical look at the Lantern mythology and a great entry point for new readers.

It sounds amazing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

purple death ray posted:

Just based on this, I think I'm good out here away from Dark Nights: Metal

oh no the justice league combined into a giant robot and this is bad for some reason because I hate fun I guess??

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have yet to see something involving giant robots that wasn't a huge chore to watch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It looks bad

As far as giant warrior robots go it's a third tier design it's like a lovely toy you'd get at big lots in the 80s

I could think of a lot of cooler robots I would rather read comics about but yeah I guess I do just hate fun, you got me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a Justice League Megazord.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Giant robots are only good if they look cool and not like melted toys glued together.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The WaPo spoilers are that Snyder got Gaiman's permission and blessing to use Dream of the Endless (Daniel Hall, son of the Sandman and Fury, and grandson of the Hawkpeople), who is going to be the Virgil to Batman's Dante in Dark Nights.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 14, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
re: Metal spoilers: That seems pretty interesting. It's not as if it's the first time this has happened, so I'm not exactly WHOA BLOWN AWAY INTERNET CRAACKED! about it, but I always enjoy this sort of thing. Daniel is much more custom-made to interact with DC superheroes than Morpheus, though I have to wonder what his own origin is like at this point, with so much of DC history being changed now.

Though honestly, I think I'd be even more interested if I knew what the frak Metal is actually supposed to be about, 'cuz I'm still pretty lost even after reading all the material so far and all the previews. :sweatdrop:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
You remember that story from JLU where it turns out that Nth metal is also kryptonite for Cthulhus? Metal is like the opposite of that, but instead of Cthulhus it attracts goth Batman amalgams

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

No a lot of you really seem to hate fun. They aren't wrong.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean I think this event is pretty bonkers and coked in all the best ways, but that Justice Megazord design is srsly pretty ugly. :v: Which part of that jagged nonsense is Wonder Woman supposed to be, anyway?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I mean I think this event is pretty bonkers and coked in all the best ways, but that Justice Megazord design is srsly pretty ugly. :v: Which part of that jagged nonsense is Wonder Woman supposed to be, anyway?

I'm guessing the gold and red stabby arm?

Green Lantern is the designated crotch it seems. Appropriate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ohh I thought that was Flash with the lightning bolts. But yeah Batman also has lightning bolts so that makes sense. Because......Metal.....

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you read the full preview Barry complains about having to be a foot

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

If you read the full preview Barry complains about having to be a foot

:lol:

good

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I mean the preview's headline spoiled me on seeing Dream, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it was Daniel and not Morpheus.

More than that, though? They seem to be hinting that Barbatos might be behind some of this, and it's echoes of Final Crisis' events.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah for what's supposed to be a love letter to the New 52, it comes off more like a fan-written sequel to Final Crisis and The Return of Bruce Wayne, which shouldn't surprise me or anyone else at this point

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not knowing what the THING is, Snyder paying homage to anything Morrison would surprise me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's not quite "Final Crisis done right" yet but I can see where some similarities are coming in. Even regardless of any story details, it feels like the same sort of "drat the torpedoes, I got an idea and I'm not holding back" passion project that FC was.

But did they really say this was supposed to be a love letter to the New 52? Because it definitely doesn't feel like that right now; with Michael Holt, Plastic Man, and now _____Dream_____ showing up, it feels much more like a spotlight on post-Crisis stories.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have yet to see something involving giant robots that wasn't a huge chore to watch.

I'll have you know that Marvel: Megamorphs (where a bunch of Marvel heroes had super giant Transformers....because) was one of the best things that this planet has ever produced.

DC did a similar story for the Justice League afterwards but I think they played it straight. I never read that one, so I can't comment.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

The Question IRL posted:

I'll have you know that Marvel: Megamorphs (where a bunch of Marvel heroes had super giant Transformers....because) was one of the best things that this planet has ever produced.

DC did a similar story for the Justice League afterwards but I think they played it straight. I never read that one, so I can't comment.

no you're right in that summary. JL get pulled to an alien planet, have to help the locals, they make giant robots based off the JL and then the jl pilot them

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

re: Metal spoilers: That seems pretty interesting. It's not as if it's the first time this has happened, so I'm not exactly WHOA BLOWN AWAY INTERNET CRAACKED! about it, but I always enjoy this sort of thing. Daniel is much more custom-made to interact with DC superheroes than Morpheus, though I have to wonder what his own origin is like at this point, with so much of DC history being changed now.

Though honestly, I think I'd be even more interested if I knew what the frak Metal is actually supposed to be about, 'cuz I'm still pretty lost even after reading all the material so far and all the previews. :sweatdrop:

Didn't the original Sandman run pretty much say that the Endless exist outside of the multiverse and time, and thus aren't affected much to changes in either? I imagine Daniel still has the same origin he always had, even if it doesn't match the current continuity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurt Busiek/John Paul Leon's 'Batman: Creature of the Night' miniseries in November.
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/0...re-of-the-Night

quote:

BATMAN: CREATURE OF THE NIGHT #1

Written by KURT BUSIEK
Art and cover by JOHN PAUL LEON

Young Bruce Wainwright lost his parents in a violent crime…and in the real world, no superheroes exist to save the day. But as grief and rage builds inside Bruce until he feels he can’t keep it inside anymore, something strange starts taking wing in the Gotham night! Perhaps Bruce’s grief isn’t inside him after all?

Modern masters Kurt Busiek and John Paul Leon unite for the spiritual companion to the beloved SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY, putting a new spin you’ve never seen before on the legend of Batman—and the dark emotions that drive him!

On sale NOVEMBER 29 • 48 pg, FC, 1 of 4, $5.99 US • RATED T+

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 15, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kurt Busiek/John Paul Leon's 'Batman: Creature of the Night' miniseries in November.

quote:

spiritual companion to the beloved SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY

Sign me up!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I remember maybe two or three years ago meeting Kurt Busiek and he mentioned working on this project at the time. I'm glad he finally got the chance to take it off the backburner and launch it!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This looks super good. The art is stunning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

Sign me up!

Yep. I'm in.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Metal fuckin' ruled.
I thought The Forge and The Casting were the worst of Snyder, way up his own butt, but it's payed off in a whole bunch of entertainment.
That one panel of the JLs flying back to Earth and quipping makes me regret him never getting their comic.

I'm bummed at this universe's Hawkgirl removing her wings to be a dumb old Blackhawk, but that's about it.

And knowing Barry (and an editor's footnote) referencing Arthur's hook hand "from the 90's" as a definite thing while the team don't know who Red Tornado is will send continuity-heads reeling. That's fun :)

Teenage Fansub posted:

Snyder paying homage to anything Morrison would surprise me.

I was surprised, like three times over.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 16, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status/897595979305803776

I'd buy the poo poo out of this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC just announced a deal with Madefire to move their digital catalog of books there, including new books. I doubt they would do this if they had any real plans for a service of their own like Marvel Unlimited. As of now all their stuff is still available on Comixology as well, though who knows if that's the long term plan or not for them.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I mean I would hope they would let people keep anything they bought off comixology without removing that from their libraries. If not then I sure as hell want a refund considering I have probably spent at least over a hundred dollars on DC books on comixology.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fantastic, I love having to have multiple accounts just for one thing.

Edit - Oh wait, I looked up the article

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/16/dc-moves-library-digital-comics-madefire-app-including-todays-new-titles/

"Though for ComiXology, DC Comics App or Amazon Kindle it looks like business as usual."

Roth fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 16, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
lol drat. DC is killing me with these mini-series.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/897869338451079168

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I doubt very much D.C. would want to piss off amazon

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bobkatt013 posted:

I doubt very much D.C. would want to piss off amazon

That would put Wonder Woman in a difficult position

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

"For those of you who want to read comics on their tvs" who the gently caress wants that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh man. Dark Nights: Metal was really, really cool.

I dunno if it's...incredible?...exactly?...but like, it's cool. It's somehow really bonkers without being annoyingly lolrandom, and also edgy without approaching grimdark at all. The actual storyline is real dark and apocalyptic, but the issue itself (along with the two prequel issues) is just filled with all these great little moments that end up setting a really great tone for longtime DC readers. At the end of the day, Doomsday Clock will probably be an interesting read and I'm definitely looking forward to that, but I think Dark Nights is going to be the actual event that...resurrects?...rebirths?... the greatest scopes and breadths of the post-Crisis DCU.

All of which is awesome to me, but I have to wonder if newer readers less familiar with that era of DC are gonna be psyched at all about these moments and nuances. Do they care that characters like the Metal Men and Blackhawks are being seamlessly reintegrated into the current DCU? Do they get as much of a kick out of the historical Hawkpeople visiting an ancient cult of Immortals who just so happen to include the Wizard Shazam, Ra's Al Ghul, and that evil lady vampire lady from I, Vampire? When Dream of the Endless pops up, do they get that it's all the more interesting and appropriate for this storyline because he is/was Daniel Hall, grandson of Carter and Shiera, whose presences are felt throughout the lore being reintroduced here for the first time?

This is the exact sort of interconnectivity and legacy that might feel daunting to new readers but that I have always loved. It's not just that DC Comics characters are teammates. It's not just that they appear in each other's books. It's that there's this vast, organic history that connects this world as one cohesive, living, breathing thing. What's appearing through this event isn't exactly a line-by-line reproduction of that history (nor should it be), but it's finding room in the current DC for something that can evoke the same sense of grandeur and gratification.

I feel like there's not really as much buzz or excitement around this event as there usually is for these things, which is sort of an advantage in a way, but also a bummer on the other hand. It's clear that a lot of thought and creativity is being put into Metal, which is just really refreshing to experience after months of the only other major Comic Book Event this year being "But what if Captain America...was actually a Nazi all along????"

Yeah, yeah, I just had to go there again.