Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I have zero hope it'll happen but if Bowie shows up and performs, like, Lazarus or something at the roadhouse in the last episode I may literally die.

A surprise posthumous Bowie performance would, without exaggeration, be one of the biggest events in the history of scripted television.

Like you, I think there's a 0.0001% chance of it happening. On the other hand, I bet they're saving a pretty special musical guest for the last episode and I'm super curious about who it could be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

The way Lynch uses cheap CG and compositing this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they just photoshop Bowie's face onto someone/something or a character has a flash of a vision where they replay his FWWM clip. Maybe work his Blackstar music video into Twin Peaks as Jeffries doing a strange musical number, lol.

They're going to use a CGI recreation of Carrie Fisher to play him

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Turdfuzz posted:

when she was acting opposite albert it was like she was looking past him it was real goofy

She seems really awkward to me and I keep on thinking that it's less that she's a bad actress and more that she's supposed to act like that. They're making a point of it. I don't think it'll lead anywhere though, it's just for atmosphere or something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DoctorG0nzo posted:

If anything I love Twin Peaks for replicating the actual confusion the average human would feel when faced with something so uncanny. Like we're chimpanzees trying to figure out what humans are doing.

This is what's struck me the most - Lynch is confident enough to present us with a world that isn't immediately, easily explainable, and we're getting the sense that there's something sort of semi-arbitrary about how the Lodges function, so utterly outside of our realm of understanding that they're threatening merely via obfuscation of clarity. The blind lady potentially being linked to the box alien is a great example, and if it's true it explains why the white lodge dwellers are so calm all the time, which is that (theoretically) it's because they don't want to accidentally have a negative impact on our world. On the other hand, the black lodge inhabitants are thrilled to be anarchic and cause chaos whenever possible, which would tie in to the concept that "love is not enough" - it's not enough to be distantly caring, you have to put your foot in and interact, even if that means potential harm.

The metaphysics in this show are so awesomely hazy, I love not having everything bluntly explained to me so it can remain mysterious and subjective and we can all hash out our kooky theories. It's like a whole show about the "aging room" in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah this song wasn't bad but it was much more obviously fake than previous performances. It was mixed like a radio single and sounded absolutely nothing like a real live show.

no hay banda. :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

On the other hand, I bet they're saving a pretty special musical guest for the last episode and I'm super curious about who it could be!

Eddie Vedder.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Polo-Rican posted:

A surprise posthumous Bowie performance would, without exaggeration, be one of the biggest events in the history of scripted television.

Like you, I think there's a 0.0001% chance of it happening. On the other hand, I bet they're saving a pretty special musical guest for the last episode and I'm super curious about who it could be!

if its not bowie then probably julee cruise, she was on the list. probably doing "falling" and it would be poetry.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I do not think Bowie will perform music at the Roadhouse, because Bowie does not play a musician on Twin Peaks, he plays a special agent named Phillip Jeffries.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

So in watching that full scene from the Cocteau film linked: a man is guided by another man to put on rubber gloves, he then guides the man to a mirror, where, reaching with the gloves he steps though the mirror. The floor pattern is the zig zag from the waiting room/lodge.

Maybe that glove will be used to pass through the oil pools near the lodges? The effect in Cocteau's film is mercury for the mirror, hence the glove as "mystical prop" because the man couldn't touch it. Maybe Freddie couldn't reach through the engine oil without the glove protecting him?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I do not think Bowie will perform music at the Roadhouse, because Bowie does not play a musician on Twin Peaks, he plays a special agent named Phillip Jeffries.

yeah but what if phillip jeffries is a part time musician and performs just for coop.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
episode 18: karaoke night at the roadhouse with Tammy and Jeffries, calling it now

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Freddy is my new favourite character and I expect him to hit booper so hard he gets killed + knocked back into the black lodge. It's a pity they didn't demonstrate his strength a bit better but I suppose that's for the finale.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Freddy killing Booper in the finale is just the backdoor pilot to Lynch's new Green Glove superhero series.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

if its not bowie then probably julee cruise, she was on the list. probably doing "falling" and it would be poetry.

If we don't get a new Julee song written by David and Angelo, I'm going to be really bummed.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
I can't seem to find it but I swear there was another character from a Lynch movie that was also called Sykes. Maybe even also Freddy Sykes.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lynch got an award but couldnt be there in person to pick it up so he... he made a video. (might have already been posted..?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSGxuzIPyzA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's like a whole show about the "aging room" in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Plus, Lynch aged US for 25 years.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had to pause for a good few minutes after the WILSON!!! moment because I was laughing so hard

Like I'm laughing again just thinking about it

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I think the only thing I didn't like about last night's episode was Chad's arrest. Another big "tell, don't show" moment with Truman saying they've been watching him for months. The only thing we've seen is Lucy looking at him while he rifled through mail 4 episode ago. We haven't even really seen much of Chad so it's not like I was thirsting for him to get caught. I guess I just have to accept that this is the type of "payoff" we'll be getting with these minor characters. I'm guessing we'll just be told in a few lines what people like Red (whose name has never been said aloud) have been up to.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 14, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm jealous of Lynch for actualizing his dreams of Monica Belucci.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cromulent posted:

We haven't even really seen much of Chad so it's not like I was thirsting for him to get caught.
He might have had limited screen time, but every moment shared with Chad has proven him to be just the worst.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

He might have had limited screen time, but every moment shared with Chad has proven him to be just the worst.

Here's hoping Red kills him with magic dimes before skipping away to make out with Shelley at work.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cromulent posted:

I think the only thing I didn't like about last night's episode was Chad's arrest. Another big "tell, don't show" moment with Truman saying they've been watching him for months.

When Truman said: "We've been watching you for months", he didn't actually mean Hawk and the others. He meant the audience. We've been watching loving Chad for months, and it's time for him to get wrecked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Chad is a surprisingly bad character for a show like this, imo he's only barely above what I would call legitimately poorly written. I like seeing him get his just desserts after being a dick for the whole show so far, but god drat he's so one-dimensional.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Of course if anyone gets pulled into a surreal black and white space it's gonna be the guy with his hair standing on end.

I had this pet theory that whatever was possessing Sarah was benevolent but inept, trying to shield her from the world and keep her functional while she's desperately traumatized on the inside, so when she entered that bar I thought, neat, another Sarah scene, let's see if my theory holds

CJacobs posted:

OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST gently caress

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.

Cromulent posted:

I think the only thing I didn't like about last night's episode was Chad's arrest. Another big "tell, don't show" moment with Truman saying they've been watching him for months. The only thing we've seen is Lucy looking at him while he rifled through mail 4 episode ago. We haven't even really seen much of Chad so it's not like I was thirsting for him to get caught. I guess I just have to accept that this is the type of "payoff" we'll be getting with these minor characters. I'm guessing we'll just be told in a few lines what people like Red (whose name has never been said aloud) have been up to.
I don't know. For me, a lot of the stuff that happens in the town of Twin Peaks evokes this feeling that the town moves on and has a life of its own whether we're voyeuristically watching it on TV or not. Its not important that we see the details, just that we know the characters haven't been stagnant for 25 years.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Of course if anyone gets pulled into a surreal black and white space it's gonna be the guy with his hair standing on end.

I had this pet theory that whatever was possessing Sarah was benevolent but inept, trying to shield her from the world and keep her functional while she's desperately traumatized on the inside, so when she entered that bar I thought, neat, another Sarah scene, let's see if my theory holds

Turns out Sarah's just bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuWPhlsyEI

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

I had to pause for a good few minutes after the WILSON!!! moment because I was laughing so hard

Like I'm laughing again just thinking about it

Instantly reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rb9QwKqsEU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvIfwNuCo0

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

He is The One.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thom and the Heads posted:

re: the roadhouse scene: i dont think ive ever seen someone lip synching so bad

tbh everyone would sound bad after james

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
So why is everyone convinced that the Jackrabbit's Palace is supposed to be the White Lodge? It doesn't match any descriptions we've heard of the WL in either appearance or function. I think that place is just a neutral zone where the Fireman maintains balance between the Lodges and Earth.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh yeah, I don't know if it was pointed out, but... That geographical point where Andy saw The Fireman and they acquired Naido, and Andy said that people want her dead... I think we can probably safely assume that this is the reason why Evil Cooper wants these coordinates; he wants Naido. We already know from his conversation with Darya before her death that he "wants" that "Experimental Model" or whatever it's called. And Hawk seems deathly scared of it and will not reveal what it is.

But we know that Naido is linked to it. We know that Briggs drew that same Symbol on Cooper's playing card, the same symbol on the map, the same symbol whose Naido was syncing up with when making the cutting noises.... We know that that symbol on the slip of paper from Briggs led to Naido. Andy says that people want her 'dead', but I'm unsure if Evil Cooper would just want to kill her, or use her for some purpose? But I think she is definitely IT, and she is kinda the key here. Or that would make sense, anyway. Doesn't mean Lynch will go in that direction necessarily!

I am amazed at how much progression in plot and mythology we had in that one hour. drat that whole thing was like pure essence of Twin Peaks. You know, something I actually like about this show is that since the passage of real time is so important, the death of certain actors (like Don Davis and Frank Silva) shaped the nature of the way those characters were used. There's just something nice about it.

I suppose that's also why the stuff with Harry Truman being sick STILL takes me out of the show a bit and rubs me the wrong drat way. It's like.. I'm fine with pretending that Donna never really existed, but it just strikes me as drat weird that while with a character like Briggs and Don Davis, he's dead in real life and dead on the show. With the Log Lady, she is sick and infirm and couldn't do much in real life, so she was sick and infirm and couldn't do much on the show. Same with Doc Hayward. And all the stuff with Briggs/Log Lady/Doc Hayward and even Donna feels like, fine to me. But Michael Ontkean doesn't, like, have cancer, right? He is just freaking "retired". Even though he went on this insane public online quest to find Harry Truman's original jacket.

The biggest surprise this show could possibly drop at this point is Michael Ontkean, to be totally honest. There is still four hours left. YOU NEVER KNOW. The Right Truman could connect the dots about what's going on in a totally unique way.

I know I'm just getting my hopes up, but if the last two episodes consist of a conscious Special Agent Dale Cooper and a healthy Sheriff Harry S. Truman getting into the SUV together, with Harry saying "Coop, I'm not a 100% on this but I'm gonna go along with it!" and Coop smiling broadly, patting him on the shoulder, and commenting "You're a

HorseRenoir posted:

So why is everyone convinced that the Jackrabbit's Palace is supposed to be the White Lodge? It doesn't match any descriptions we've heard of the WL in either appearance or function. I think that place is just a neutral zone where the Fireman maintains balance between the Lodges and Earth.

Are we just calling The Giant's dwelling in the purple ocean Jackrabbit's Palace now? Because I think we should. We definitely don't really KNOW what the parameters of the Black or White Lodges really are, or if they exist in the way that Windom Early described, in truth. I tend to think that since Lynch always works in shades of grey, there isn't really a totally "black" and evil Lodge, no more than there is a totally "white" and "good" Lodge.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 14, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/twin-peaks-chrysta-bell-tammy-preston-interview.html

This is pretty interesting. I don't know if I believe everything here, I think she's being genuine in her interview but if there IS some kind of deal going on with her character she'd have to hide it in this interview. Maybe Lynch just knew how she acted IRL and decided twin peaks needed some of that. I think that's more likely.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just really love how much Andy's mannerisms changed after going to the upside down

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

man Stranger Things is okay for a quick nostalgia fix but its parallel dimension stuff is to the lodges what a bag of Cheetos is to the cherry pie at the original R&R.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

To be fair the second season seems to be greatly expounding on it and Twin Peaks has had more episodes.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I feel bad for Lucy, her husband is basically a different person now for better or worse. The one unshakeable relationship that survived the 25 years is the one most affected by the main plot.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Return has been uneven, and i've been disinterested in some of the elements of it, but that was a great episode and i'm all aboard for the final hours.
Best part was hyperactive ninja window cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

redreader posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/twin-peaks-chrysta-bell-tammy-preston-interview.html

This is pretty interesting. I don't know if I believe everything here, I think she's being genuine in her interview but if there IS some kind of deal going on with her character she'd have to hide it in this interview. Maybe Lynch just knew how she acted IRL and decided twin peaks needed some of that. I think that's more likely.

I didn't know that she hadn't really acted before. That explains a lot. I guess Lynch just included her because he loves to put his long-time friends in things.