Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this is more on topic really:

https://twitter.com/IndivisibleTeam/status/896756106554470401

liberals pretend DSA and IWW weren't at charlottesville

edit: https://twitter.com/copcemetery/status/896952033785384960

indivisible organized a vigil for heather heyer where she was barely mentioned at all

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i have no idea who or what indivisible is or when they were astroturfed but here's the kind of radical poo poo they're up to

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

this is more on topic really:

https://twitter.com/IndivisibleTeam/status/896756106554470401

liberals pretend DSA and IWW weren't at charlottesville

edit: https://twitter.com/copcemetery/status/896952033785384960

indivisible organized a vigil for heather heyer where she was barely mentioned at all

What a bunch of ghouls. You know this is why liberals cannot be trusted. They'll stab you in the back.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Better is the Vigil in NC that Indivisible tried to shut down

https://twitter.com/imastringbean/status/896868804692725760

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Agnosticnixie posted:

yikes...

the centrists wanting to sing "this land is our land" in response is sad as gently caress

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

yikes...

the centrists wanting to sing "this land is our land" in response is sad as gently caress

A song by noted centrist Woody Guthrie.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I've never hear of Indivisible USA up until this very moment, but it sounds like they're yet another kinda poorly run 501(c) organization. I'm not entirely sure they speak for anyone but themselves.

As for substance, I don't actually see a ton of difference between what they stand for and what DSA stands for, which makes them predictably childish.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Majorian posted:

tbf, most liberals don't know it's about abolishing private property, they think it's a cute patriotic song.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I assume it is a pretty standard astroturf "activist" org/PAC, especially considering was organized by congressional staffers. From their website, it seems 90-95% of their focus is Trump.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Majorian posted:

by the same logic this is a leftist commercial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Agnosticnixie posted:

tbf, most liberals don't know it's about abolishing private property, they think it's a cute patriotic song.

exactly

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

majorian your bad-demness is leaking again

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/897186708843892736

yikes! leftists are bad cause they oppose israel genociding palestinians

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Agnosticnixie posted:

Guys, what if, and I'm just asking questions here- if the (centrist) Democrats are the real racists?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Guys, what if, and I'm just asking questions here- if the (centrist) Democrats are the real racists?

Sorry, the lady has the talking stick.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

You mean the people who nominated a literal slaveowner to be president?

Nah, they couldn't, they couldn't be!!!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

majorian your bad-demness is leaking again

Leave it to you to miss :thejoke: there.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Leave it to you to miss :thejoke: there.

Missing the joke is like this thread's signature move.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
There seems to be an unsettling response of democrats to apply blame to the left over nazi murderers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sneakster posted:

There seems to be an unsettling response of democrats to apply blame to the left over nazi murderers.

Yeah, I'm phoneposting, so I can't post the tweets, but Kos has been engaging in his standard chickenfuckery today.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sneakster posted:

If the left rises against the right, that emboldens right-wing election turnout. Democrats cannot count on left-wing turnout without rebelling against their donors. This, combined with their general disdain for leftists, and their desire to remain, basically, Rockefeller Republicans, fuel their response to leftists.

Above all else, they want to depress right-wing turnout and not see them emboldened.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Huzanko posted:

If the left rises against the right, that emboldens right-wing election turnout. Democrats cannot count on left-wing turnout without rebelling against their donors. This, combined with their general disdain for leftists, and their desire to remain, basically, Rockefeller Republicans, fuel their response to leftists.

Above all else, they want to depress right-wing turnout and not see them emboldened.

I'm not sure they've been terribly successful on that last objective!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if sticking to donors depresses your turnout you're not doing a good job at politics.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Huzanko posted:

perhaps it is time to organize and develop a party of the working class?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/897203776133758976

:whitewater:

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I didn't know you could be less sympathetic than nazis, but somehow. Somehow.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

If only West gad given people at the protest adamantium skeletons proof against vehicular homicide!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

R. Guyovich posted:

perhaps it is time to organize and develop a party of the working class?
Take over the Democratic party, and leave the centrists and their consultant lackeys to scratch a living off books about owning slaves.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

America is more than California. You can't just say that one blue state is fine, therefore problem solved.

kamala harris is a senator from california and her tweet was about california farms

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/896034783247183872

https://twitter.com/FortuneMagazine/status/895268506631065600

twodot posted:

I realize this thread isn't great, but seriously? Quoting averages instead of medians? Totally unsourced claims about averages? Pretending you can just brush off a concern by talking about solely California, even assuming everything you say is true and relevant? Complete speculation that a totally different stat is "likely small"? What value can you possibly think this is adding?

if you can find data that lists the median I'd be happy to read it, but I'm the only one providing data of any sort here

MooselanderII posted:

Horse poo poo, you have never unwaveringly advocated for anything aside from maintaining the status quo.

i'm sincerely sorry your brain isn't able to discern any nuance between full communism now and the status quo, but i appreciate that you've abandoned this idiotic smear of kamala harris

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

kamala harris is utter trash

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

kamala harris is a senator from california and her tweet was about california farms

You didn't actually counter my argument in any way.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

You didn't actually counter my argument in any way.

if you're not arguing about kamala harris or california farmworkers I don't really care to

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

JeffersonClay posted:

if you're not arguing about kamala harris or california farmworkers I don't really care to

To be fair, your post that CA farm workers make an average of $15/hour was disingenuous at best. It's technically correct, but doesn't really address the fact that those wages are clustered around piece rate workers and don't hold up at all if you're looking at full time equivalent pay.

http://www.epi.org/blog/farmworker-wages-in-california-large-gap-between-full-time-equivalent-and-actual-earnings/

quote:

In fact, in 2015, workers who received their primary earnings from agricultural employers earned an average of $17,500—less than 60 percent of the average annual wage of a full-time equivalent (FTE) worker in California.

So these workers may be getting $15/hour, but average yearly earnings are on par or worse than a full-time minimum wage employee.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, your post that CA farm workers make an average of $15/hour was disingenuous at best. It's technically correct, but doesn't really address the fact that those wages are clustered around piece rate workers and don't hold up at all if you're looking at full time equivalent pay.

http://www.epi.org/blog/farmworker-wages-in-california-large-gap-between-full-time-equivalent-and-actual-earnings/

So these workers may be getting $15/hour, but average yearly earnings are on par or worse than a full-time minimum wage employee.

Isn't most farm work seasonal? Is that a problem of pay rates or a problem of the work not being available year around and there being nothing in between to sustain them?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
JC regurgitating corporate talking points that later turn out to be utter horseshit? Well I never!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lightning Knight posted:

Isn't most farm work seasonal? Is that a problem of pay rates or a problem of the work not being available year around and there being nothing in between to sustain them?

It's both. The higher end is piece rate work, so while it's technically true that the rates are better than minimum wage, you also have to absolutely work your rear end off to get there and even then the seasonal nature of the work means that your annual pay is pretty poor.

I'm not saying JC was lying, I'm just saying that it's incredibly disingenuous to point to hourly agricultural pay as something that's actually good in any sense. Nobody is going to do farm work like this if they can get even a minimum wage job with full-time hours because the minimum wage job will pay more and be far less demanding.

edit-

quote:

So what’s behind the “about $30,000 a year” for a farmworker’s annual pay? Employers report employment and wages when they pay unemployment insurance taxes, and these data are published as the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (QCEW). According to the QCEW, 16,400 California agricultural establishments employed an average of 421,300 workers during 2015 and paid them $12.8 billion, or $30,300 per year for a FTE employee, equivalent to $14.60 an hour for 2,080 hours of work.

However, the QCEW grossly undercounts the number of agricultural employees and therefore overstates the pay per employee. The average employment measurement in the QCEW accounts for workers on the payroll for the payroll period that includes the 12th day of the month. Most farmworkers are paid weekly, so employment covers workers employed for the second week of the month. However, employers report wages for all workers who were hired during the month, including those employed at the beginning and end of the month—even if they weren’t employed during the payroll period covering the 12th day. Dividing total wages by average employment in California agriculture reported in the QCEW generates the $30,300 earnings of an FTE employee.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 15, 2017

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Nobody is going to do farm work like this if they can get even a minimum wage job with full-time hours because the minimum wage job will pay more and be far less demanding.

while the farm work is back-breaking and physically demanding, any minimum wage job at full time hours is soul-rending and spiritually demanding. being seasonal work, they could find other work as supplementary income, which they do because none of us serfs working for minimum wage or less are working just one job - especially not since most of these minimum wage jobs refuse to offer full-time hours

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've never heard a convincing argument as to why we shouldn't just enforce labor laws in these jobs and let the market sort it out like we do everything else

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

In addition to what you said, the actual hourly rate is more around between $12-14/hr, which isn't that much more than the minimum wage (which is $10.00-10.50 in CA).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

call to action posted:

I've never heard a convincing argument as to why we shouldn't just enforce labor laws in these jobs and let the market sort it out like we do everything else

Lawyers cost money and poors, especially foreign poors- don't have any. America is actually helping them in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Do agricultural workers in California earn exorbitant wages? No.
Is agricultural work incredibly physically demanding? Yes.
Are significant numbers of agricultural workers in California paid below the minimum wage? No.

I'm not suggesting strawberry pickers have some luxury existence here. I'm suggesting this:

steinrokkan posted:

Hello, it is disingenuous to pretend that arguments against immigration driven by literal plantation owners are arguments against immigration of all sorts. See: When people point out that produce rots in absence of immigrants, they mean produce rots because there are no below-average-wage immigrants to pick it. Immigrants need to be part of the same labour movement as born citizens, and they need to enjoy the same benefits. Basing agriculture on the existence of an illegal underclass that thoroughly distorts the labor market is a very liberal thing to do, since it only serves the owners / employers.

Is predicated on a lot of (frankly racist) assumptions about the labor market for agricultural workers in California. They aren't slaves on plantations and they aren't distorting the labor market. They are unionizing and successfully demanding better wages and working conditions.

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not saying JC was lying, I'm just saying that it's incredibly disingenuous to point to hourly agricultural pay as something that's actually good in any sense. Nobody is going to do farm work like this if they can get even a minimum wage job with full-time hours because the minimum wage job will pay more and be far less demanding.

I'm pretty sure the UFW would strenuously disagree here. Agricultural labor requires significant skill, and agricultural laborers with those skills earn significant wages. Suggesting they're all ready to line up at a McDonalds for 10.50 an hour is pretty drat insulting. Again, the UFW endorsed kamala harris.

• Locked thread