Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

pumpinglemma posted:

So, uh, this just went up on Popehat. Apparently DC prosecutors are trying to get the IP addresses of everyone who even visited disruptj20.org, one of the major hubs for the inauguration protests. Because that's not horrifying at all. There's a hearing on Friday.

my hot take:

#DJ20 was a peaceful protest, executed on the day of the inauguration, wherein a handful of paid organizers (funded by George Soros) collected protesters as they arrived in the city (having promoted attendance and given guidance for where arriving activists might congregate), segregating them into 7 or 8 impact groups. These groups - each themed with a relevant social justice identity, i.e. 'Water Protectors' or '#BLM' or 'LGBTQA' or 'Labor' or whatever - each held a direct action and a march on the morning of the inauguration. The direct action was to build a human barricade at each of the entrances to the national mall, and hold the barricade until the inauguration begins. There was disinformatika about plots to disrupt subway traffic. There were the 420 activists who handed out joints in McPhereson Square with the intention of lighting them all on the national mall four minutes and twenty seconds into Trump's speech - though few of those activists were able to enter the national mall. The whole purpose of the action was to ensure the turnout at Trump's inauguration was as low as possible - visibly low, in photographs. The troll definitely worked, as Trump's Administration's /first/ official communication was an outright lie about exactly those crowd sizes.

While the DJ20 groups were /executing/ their peaceful human barricades, the Black Bloc marched. A number gathered at McPhereson and marched north(?) to Dupont. I marched alongside for that leg, and as they came down a major street toward Franklin Park - the park I'd slept in the night before. I hung back in Franklin to pick up a trash can that someone had carelessly turned over - not realizing /the parks are *OURS*/ - and the po-lice rushed by me to kettle everyone on the march. Many are still facing federal charges. I could easily have been among them.

The Bloc distracted Riot Cops from the peaceful Barricades. Attendance was embarassingly low. Images of the low turnout made it to press. Trump's ego took a significant blow, and he got butthurt, became a lulzcow. But as The Bloc and the Riot Cops continued to battle throughout the day - the battle that moved toward Franklin park later, prompting me to tear off my clothes in protest - each of the #DJ20 marches, enjoying the success of their Direct Actions from earlier in the day, was led peacefully and loudly through the streets of DC. And each of those marches passed through the battle zone where the Bloc and the Riot Cops were squared off - where National Guard sat watching, under a watchful helicopter's eye. The peaceful crowds passing through the battle zone allowed people to de-bloc and duck out, or black-up and pop in. I don't know that the kettle really captured any of the people that were swinging hammers or throwing stones.

The limo that was set on fire, that was put there by Larry King - who works for RT.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

If Bannon does go, will it fuel an alt-right rebellion on Trump? Breitbart's readership has been way down, I wonder if ditching Bannon and slightly distancing himself from open fascism will piss off any pepes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

evilweasel posted:

that junior staffer is going to go broke lawyering up though

i think that describes half the people in the administration at this point

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

the wapo article reads like some junior staffer being taken for a ride by russian intelligence

it's another questionable development in a long litany of questionable developments, but it is hardly a game changer

Agreed, but counterintelligence folks should probably have a chat with that staffer.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

n3wt posted:

It's worth looking into in any case. Shame the counter terrorist group is now anti islamic only thanks to Trump.

It should be handled by the FBI. I hope they still have good people in place to do this sort of work.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well to be fair it probaly is, that being said, alt right/nazis and wahabis/salfist assholes are 2 sides of the same coin. mostly dumb hosed up angry kids who want to lash out so they join the edgiest group and then kill a bunch of people.

and/or who seek a group to belong to and reach the same result

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

QuoProQuid posted:

the wapo article reads like some junior staffer being taken for a ride by russian intelligence

it's another questionable development in a long litany of questionable developments, but it is hardly a game changer

It is, but junior staffers are the guys most likely to flip since they can't afford high priced lawyers

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

and/or who seek a group to belong to and reach the same result

yep, there was some quote by the book eater that stated that they wouldnt be hated by the wahabies if they just got rid of western "degeneracy".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

did you actually think that someone was claiming they were imaginary

No, someone was saying "but hospitals use them so they must work", where the thing is is that they securely connect you to something but that "something" can be anything. It can securely connect you to a hospital's internal network and let you use the hospital's internal database or whatever but if it's securely connecting you to just some other ISP just like the one you are already connected to it doesn't get you much. It's not a magic security spell or anything.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Glumslinger posted:

It is, but junior staffers are the guys most likely to flip since they can't afford high priced lawyers

admittedly, i do enjoy the detail that "[h]e graduated from college in 2009, and his LinkedIn profile cited his participation in a Model U.N. program for students among his qualifications."

also lol at the idea of ccing my boss on my attempt to conspire with a foreign power

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

admittedly, i do enjoy the detail that "[h]e graduated from college in 2009, and his LinkedIn profile cited his participation in a Model U.N. program for students among his qualifications."

also lol at the idea of ccing my boss on my attempt to conspire with a foreign power

model un lmao

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am not saying that the Alt Right and the Nazi's of America are wholly the invention of Russia. I am saying that it has been reported on that Russia has helped fund Far Right organizations across Europe and that there is likelyhood they are funding some far right groups.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
e: dblpost

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

VPN just means instead of your isp knowing what IP addresses you're connecting to your VPN knows that. However they do prevent the sites you're visiting from knowing where you are. Https is what prevents your isp or your VPN from being able to view the contents of your communications with the remote server. Your DNS server is who knows exactly what sites you're visiting, since more than one site can have the same public IP address, although many times it's a 1:1 match.

Either way yes there is no 100 percent anonymous way to browse the web and it isn't impossible that given the right resources any actor couldn't figure out your browsing history.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The tantrum continues

https://twitter.com/realpresssecbot/status/897219036982853632

Kale
May 14, 2010

Uh oh looks like Trump's got a new beef with Acosta now after his poo poo response to Charlottesville got called out again today. Keep it up you piece of poo poo. Looking real loving good. Please call Charlottesville fake news or some genius move like that too and see how well it goes for you. :allears:

So good of him to levy another strongly worded attack at the guy that ditched you in disgust. Now officially spent more time in the last 48 hours moaning about perceived slights against him than addressing a national crisis on record. Again just looking so loving good to the world agan

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 14, 2017

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Apparently other CEOs on the council are like "dude we're not sticking our head out to get the flak that the Merck guy is getting, are you loving stupid," all on background to reporters.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kale posted:

Uh oh looks like Trump's got a new beef with Acosta now after his poo poo response to Charlottesville got called out again today. Keep it up you piece of poo poo. Looking real loving good. Please call Charlottesville fake news or some genius move like that too and see how well it goes for you. :allears:

So good of him to levy another strongly worded attack at the guy that ditched you in disgust

Jones "I ate chili and forgot the names of my 100% non gmo human offspring" has already gone on to say it's a false flag.

There are timelines where Donnie's handling of this is even worse.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've mentioned before that I'm familiar with this dude, but I don't recall if I've mentioned this. I know for a fact that he was investigated by either the Victoria PD or the Victoria County sheriff for improper relationship with an underage girl. Wasn't charged, but I think they ran him out of town, which is why he ended up in College Station. Also he was scammed/catfished out of thousands of dollars by teenage Russian girls (or scammers pretending to be). He's in his 50s. Dude is a proper creep in addition to being a shithead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dietrich posted:

VPN just means instead of your isp knowing what IP addresses you're connecting to your VPN knows that. However they do prevent the sites you're visiting from knowing where you are. Https is what prevents your isp or your VPN from being able to view the contents of your communications with the remote server. Your DNS server is who knows exactly what sites you're visiting, since more than one site can have the same public IP address, although many times it's a 1:1 match.

Either way yes there is no 100 percent anonymous way to browse the web and it isn't impossible that given the right resources any actor couldn't figure out your browsing history.

Any good VPN directs DNS through the VPN, so it still only is the VPN provider. Just need to be sure to get one that doesn't log and you're pretty OK other than all the browser identifying cookies

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I am not saying that the Alt Right and the Nazi's of America are wholly the invention of Russia. I am saying that it has been reported on that Russia has helped fund Far Right organizations across Europe and that there is likelyhood they are funding some far right groups.

They bankrolled Marine LePen's presidential run in france so there's that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No, someone was saying "but hospitals use them so they must work", where the thing is is that they securely connect you to something but that "something" can be anything. It can securely connect you to a hospital's internal network and let you use the hospital's internal database or whatever but if it's securely connecting you to just some other ISP just like the one you are already connected to it doesn't get you much. It's not a magic security spell or anything.

That's not what I said. How about an actual quote?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/897220097038745605

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/andreazelinski/status/897217747385561088

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i need three more for bingo, tho

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/897224069409456128

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

QuoProQuid posted:

i need three more for bingo, tho

Every time anyone mentions bingo I can only think of the enthusiastic way Hans Landa talked about it.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

a bloo bloo, why are they so mean to me? a bloo bloo

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

lmaooooo he so mad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Azhais posted:

Any good VPN directs DNS through the VPN, so it still only is the VPN provider. Just need to be sure to get one that doesn't log and you're pretty OK other than all the browser identifying cookies

Do not expect a VPN to protect you from state actors. Just fyi.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The "Woah" is for "Why the gently caress did they have a scheduled white nationalist event scheduled for 9/11?", right?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BUT WHAT ABOUT MEEEEEEEEEEE

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think the thing no one is focusing on is that now the language has changed from alt-right to white nationalist, which ties them much closer to their nazi heritage.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ugh you made such a big deal about me condemning Nazis and when I finally do it, you don't love me for it???

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Media: How come Trump seems to be able to get angry and indignant about everyone from Mitch McConnel to CNN to Muslims to Democrats to Mika Brezinski to the Twilight films but can't work up some emotion about Nazis, white supremicists, and a terrorist act on American soil?

Trump: Gets angry about the media pointing out that he's not angry about the Nazis.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Keep digging. Keep showing your true colors. I wanna see how low that approval rating can go.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Get hosed you orange clown anus, not everything is about you. You should not be applauded for taking days to go on record to denounce Nazis.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
hahah he literally can't just let sleeping dogs lie.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think the thing no one is focusing on is that now the language has changed from alt-right to white nationalist, which ties them much closer to their nazi heritage.

Yeah, I agree with this

People have stopped pretending its different movements or just at the fringes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
When Obama was president every time something like this happened my racist coworkers would blame Obama for setting race relations back 50 years, but now that Trump is in charge they're placing the blame squarely on him. Just kidding, they're saying that the statues are part of history and should stay up and who even knows who attacked who anyways?

• Locked thread