Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Actually, this arc seems to be Ewing's excuse to throw a bunch of his creations and pet characters into one story. The Troubleshooters from Ultimates appear to be in the next issue, and the current at-large Avengers consist of Squirrel Girl, Enigma (formerly POD), Ares, Captain Britain, Excalibur (Dr Faiza Hussain), the Black Knight, Guillotine (a French lady with a magic sword, not to be confused with the American dude with the magic sword or the British Muslim lady with a magic sword), Outlaw (British Punisher) and Peregrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

How would British Punisher even work? Would he use one of those game-hunting guns that can shoot like 50 ducks at once?

He would punish your ears with disorienting terrible slang, giving him more of an edge as his opponents tried to figure out exactly what he was saying. Kind of like how Spider-Man infuriates his bad guys by never shutting up, you know?

Otherwise I expect it would work exactly the same as the American one.

Holy poo poo you guys, what if there was a British Spider-Man? :aaaaa:

Not Billy Braddock, obviously.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He would punish your ears with disorienting terrible slang, giving him more of an edge as his opponents tried to figure out exactly what he was saying. Kind of like how Spider-Man infuriates his bad guys by never shutting up, you know?

Otherwise I expect it would work exactly the same as the American one.

Holy poo poo you guys, what if there was a British Spider-Man? :aaaaa:

Not Billy Braddock, obviously.

You idiot we already answered the British punisher question.

Doesn't even read the previous posts.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
you guys ever think about if they published a comic about a captain america

THAT WAS BLACK

i think it'd go a little something like thi

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why can I call a man cockney but I call one black man-wait where are you going.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why can I call a man cockney but I call one black man-wait where are you going.
i'm just saying it would be fun to speculate on things

what if thor was a lady?

what if they did a story called death of wolverine, what do you think it would be about?

what if there was a character named "the green goblin"

imagine the possibilities

Just Imagine Jack Kirby Created the Marvel Universe

of course one could not be too serious and expect people to talk about such flights of fancy seriously, this is merely a comics forum.

But it's fun to speculate, isn't it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Whatever they would be, there would be no jokes.

As this it high literature for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, this arc seems to be Ewing's excuse to throw a bunch of his creations and pet characters into one story. The Troubleshooters from Ultimates appear to be in the next issue, and the current at-large Avengers consist of Squirrel Girl, Enigma (formerly POD), Ares, Captain Britain, Excalibur (Dr Faiza Hussain), the Black Knight, Guillotine (a French lady with a magic sword, not to be confused with the American dude with the magic sword or the British Muslim lady with a magic sword), Outlaw (British Punisher) and Peregrine.

Wait, the one in the red and black? I thought that was Martyr.

That makes more sense.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I thought Black Knight was de-sworded and king of Weirdworld? What book needs three characters wielding magical cursed swords?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Edge & Christian posted:

Nessus appeared to be sincerely asking how such a character was portrayed but maybe that was also a joke who can say in these joking times is this even a comic forum or just a joke pretending to be a comic forum we may never know anything about anything

what do y'all think the thing's dick looks like?
Yeah I was legitimately curious, since so much of the Punisher is grimly executing criminals with firepower. I'm sure you CAN do it, somehow, the same way Scarlet Spider obviously at least kind of works in Houston, but I can't easily conceive of what that difference would be.

e: the reasoning here is that there are way fewer heavy firearms in the UK so the Punisher would, on the one hand, have less need for ridiculous guns that shoot swords, but on the other hand, would be dealing with way more heat because he'd be a heavily armed maniac.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, the one in the red and black? I thought that was Martyr.

That makes more sense.

Wait, I may be wrong about Black Knight. I went through most of the USAvengers run so far in a single go, and I might be conflating him having been in MI13 and him in a flashback to the Dani Cage-Jones Captain America's timeline with him being in the Euro-team.

Autism Sneaks posted:

I thought Black Knight was de-sworded and king of Weirdworld? What book needs three characters wielding magical cursed swords?

To be fair, Excalibur isn't cursed. And Faiza notes that it doesn't seem to like Guillotine's sword.

Nessus posted:

Yeah I was legitimately curious, since so much of the Punisher is grimly executing criminals with firepower. I'm sure you CAN do it, somehow, the same way Scarlet Spider obviously at least kind of works in Houston, but I can't easily conceive of what that difference would be.

e: the reasoning here is that there are way fewer heavy firearms in the UK so the Punisher would, on the one hand, have less need for ridiculous guns that shoot swords, but on the other hand, would be dealing with way more heat because he'd be a heavily armed maniac.

Well, as of now, he's mostly reformed and uses tranq rounds and rubber bullets, but otherwise seems to have basically the same MO as Frank did?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Nessus posted:

Outlaw was really only marginally a 'character' prior to 2016. He only appeared in two Punisher storylines:

The first was "Eurohit", where he was essentially just a Punisher fanboy who lived in London. He lent Frank a bunch of his guns and put him onto local criminals to shake down for info/murder. They never really explained how Outlaw got all of his guns, but the storyline was all about Punisher tracking an arms dealer who was uh.... smuggling weapons... through the Chunnel... for the Kingpin? So Marvel England probably has a lot more guns than Real England.

The 1990s were not an era for good Punisher stories, but were also a time for a lot of Punisher wannabes that Frank Castle would sort of grumble that they shouldn't follow in his footsteps and then he'd sort of shrug and let them be his sidekick for a storyline. This culminated in them creating like an extra five of them and doing sort of a half-assed Reign of the Supermen in a story called Suicide Run where Punisher was presumed dead after blowing up a skyscraper full of the heads of twenty crime families while still in it. All of the Would-Be Punishers came out of the woodwork, including Outlaw. Most of them turned out to be like... false flag mob/supervillain/Corrupt Faction of SHIELD bad guys pretending to be Punisher, and some of them were just dumb or crazy. Outlaw was one of the "good ones", but did basically nothing in the storyline, and was last seen popping a wheelie over a bunch of cop cars shooting them with an Uzi yelling "OUTTA ME WAY!" in order to distract people and get them off Frank's trail, riding off into the sunset.

All of this is pretty much completely forgettable and barely thought out. It would continue to be the case were it not for Al Ewing adopting Outlaw as a pet character and more or less filling in his entire backstory in the past couple years of books.

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, I may be wrong about Black Knight. I went through most of the USAvengers run so far in a single go, and I might be conflating him having been in MI13 and him in a flashback to the Dani Cage-Jones Captain America's timeline with him being in the Euro-team.
Yeah, Black Knight hasn't appeared outside of flashbacks since his awful Frank Tieri mini-series.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Oddly enough I was wondering when Ares came back last week and ended up reading something terrible called Chaos War on Marvel Unlimited. No idea if it was actually in continuity - but it did trace from getting ripped in half forward.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He, as noted, properly came back in the Contest Of Champions book that Ewing was writing. One of the 'players' in that book (the Collector or the Grandmaster, I forget which) had him snatched from the afterlife and then he broke out of the stasis crystals they were using to keep the teams frozen between fights because... um... he's a god?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Donde Esta posted:

Oddly enough I was wondering when Ares came back last week and ended up reading something terrible called Chaos War on Marvel Unlimited. No idea if it was actually in continuity - but it did trace from getting ripped in half forward.

I'm very sorry you read that.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Gaz-L posted:

He, as noted, properly came back in the Contest Of Champions book that Ewing was writing. One of the 'players' in that book (the Collector or the Grandmaster, I forget which) had him snatched from the afterlife and then he broke out of the stasis crystals they were using to keep the teams frozen between fights because... um... he's a god?

Yeah looks like he noped out after Chaos War because the book was so bad he preferred being dead.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So is British Punisher allowed to rep like Wales, and the Isle of Man, or does that get touchy?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, Excalibur isn't cursed. And Faiza notes that it doesn't seem to like Guillotine's sword

I got Excalibur mixed up with the Sword of Might, which I thought were the same? Anyways, while it may stretch the definition of what constitutes a "curse", all variations of the Sword in the Stone seem to dick over anyone who gets in the cross hairs of it's magical destiny

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Outlaw was a pretty compelling character in Contest of Champions, and I wish people would go read that instead of making not very funny jokes about what the UK is or isn't like.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Edge & Christian posted:

i'm just saying it would be fun to speculate on things

what if thor was a lady?

what if they did a story called death of wolverine, what do you think it would be about?

what if there was a character named "the green goblin"

imagine the possibilities

Just Imagine Jack Kirby Created the Marvel Universe

of course one could not be too serious and expect people to talk about such flights of fancy seriously, this is merely a comics forum.

But it's fun to speculate, isn't it?

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if Spider-Man were a girl, but nah that's too out there

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if Spider-Man were a girl, but nah that's too out there
Imagine if every character were replaced by cosplayable versions of themselves named Gwen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nessus posted:

Imagine if every character were replaced by cosplayable versions of themselves named Gwen.

What about just Spider-Man and Deadpool? Would that be enough?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

What about just Spider-Man and Deadpool? Would that be enough?

Gwen-Man and DeadGwen? Those concepts would never have legs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Gwen-Man and DeadGwen? Those concepts would never have legs.

I dunno we had Dead Gwen for decades.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Onmi posted:

I dunno we had Dead Gwen for decades.
It did lead to some of Spidey's greatest stories...

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Archyduke posted:

Outlaw was a pretty compelling character in Contest of Champions, and I wish people would go read that instead of making not very funny jokes about what the UK is or isn't like.

I read Conquest of Champions, can I make unfunny jokes about the UK, bruv?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Archyduke posted:

American characters sometimes suddenly sound British all the time and nobody seems to notice.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

American characters sometimes suddenly sound British all the time and nobody seems to notice.

Emma Frost Syndrome.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rantmo posted:

Emma Frost Syndrome.

Dead right, mate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
British Punisher would be from Northern Ireland.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
No, he'd be English and he'd have a lot of opinions about the sorts of people coming into England.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

British Punisher would be from Northern Ireland.

He'd be English because American writers don't realize Scottish and Irish are also technically British

e: I want scottish punisher, with skull-kilt accessory and battle bagpipes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KaosMachina posted:

He'd be English because American writers don't realize Scottish and Irish are also technically British

Um...

You might encounter some disagreement on that one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this is extremely stupid

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

KaosMachina posted:

He'd be created by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and Doug Braithwaite who are all British, then be brought back by Al Ewing who is also British so I mean who knows?

If there was a British Captain America I bet instead of a shield he'd carry a miniature Big Ben and instead of an A on his forehead he'd have a Teletubby and uh Bovril Blur Oasis Chip Butty Quisling Football Hooligan Stonehenge Margaret Thatcher Manchester Sheffield Bowler Hat

JOKES

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Edge & Christian posted:

He'd be created by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and Doug Braithwaite who are all British, then be brought back by Al Ewing who is also British so I mean who knows?

If there was a British Captain America I bet instead of a shield he'd carry a miniature Big Ben and instead of an A on his forehead he'd have a Teletubby and uh Bovril Blur Oasis Chip Butty Quisling Football Hooligan Stonehenge Margaret Thatcher Manchester Sheffield Bowler Hat

JOKES

I feel we could take this to a higher meta level, what if everyone was a superhero? Your superhero identity is based on the name of the street you grew up on and the name of your first pet.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Edge & Christian posted:

JOKES

There's technically Captain Midlands, but he turned out to be an backstabbing rear end in a top hat and possibly ended with Pete Wisdom talking him into suicide.

...Man Marvel UK is kinda batshit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I feel we could take this to a higher meta level, what if everyone was a superhero? Your superhero identity is based on the name of the street you grew up on and the name of your first pet.

Your superhero name is Captain + Your mother's maiden name and you're from Earth-Your SSN

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

JOKES

You are right. The best British superhero is Beefeater. Can't top that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

When did Ares come back? Is Phobos back yet?

• Locked thread