Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you're actually switching hotbars while using a controller you're doing it wrong. the controller gives you access to 48 abilities, which i'm fairly certain is way more than every class currently needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Roe women still ugliest women.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Rude

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Wrongest opinion in this thread, including off-forum reposts

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh boy its that time again

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Verranicus posted:

Dang Verranicus is usually wrong, but I dunno if he's ever been THIS wrong before.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Dang Verranicus is usually wrong, but I dunno if he's ever been THIS wrong before.

Only about a dozen or two times on this same topic.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

My static tank was doing O3S practice and had this for a WAR co-tank.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gotta stay at 100 wrath for that sweet sweet parry

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm so mad right now that dude got carried to O3S and I can't find a group that can get past 2.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

cheetah7071 posted:

Are you using your W cross hotbars and your L+R cross hotbars? Like the only classes that spill over after adding those are scholar and summoner and even then that's only if you go halfway with each for convenience's sake

I know there is an option for L+R crossbar but i don't know what you mean by W? Not sure where in the options menu those things are either sadly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I know there is an option for L+R crossbar but i don't know what you mean by W? Not sure where in the options menu those things are either sadly.

W-XHB is the double-tap L2/R2 thing to get another half a cross-hotbar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

W cross hotbars are hotbars that you access by double tapping L or R. Dunno where the menu options are. They were added in 3.5 I think.

kirbysuperstar posted:

W-XHB is the double-tap L2/R2 thing to get another half a cross-hotbar.

There's a setting to make them full hotbars with both D pad and face buttons but it isn't really necessary

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

orcane posted:

No it's not mathematically impossible but implying that people shouldn't be wearing poo poo gear because there is the near-zero chance to get all your gear in one run is ridiculous. There are close to 80 items per dungeon and you can get duplicate drops from different chests, good luck!

Boy, you really went out of your way to try to misunderstand my point in the worst way possible :psyduck:. There are a ton of chests resulting in 10+ drops a run. Odds are pretty good you'll get something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also it takes like 8 runs with armory bonus plus rested xp bonus to get your 2 levels in SB dungeons, you really don't have an excuse to not be getting the majority of your gear updated between dungeons. If you're literally not doing a single dungeon and only doing roulettes to level that class up then clearly that is your own fault and you should buy expensive stuff from npcs/the marketboard

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

4 out of 5 SAMs that I get in PF are irredeemably awful. I thought it'd be RDM that was the trash job but nope it's SAM. It's not infrequent that they can barely pull enough damage to outdo the tanks.

My static leader has gotten to the point where he mocks every Samurai we get (in private). It's just a matter of time before he starts mocking them to their face.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm so mad right now that dude got carried to O3S and I can't find a group that can get past 2.

2 is easy once you have it down, even with bad players. Get a few friends together, get acclimatized to the fight, then fill out the rest of your raid with pubs.

Assign directions ABCD for Maniacal Probe / Long Drop, tanks/heals up dps down during Gravitational Manipulation, AB north CD south for -100G, tank swap during Evilsphere. There isn't much more to the fight than that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've been running o2s a lot in pf and every SAM I had in a party was actually quite good. Like, opener above 4K and at 4K if we hit enrage.

Some of the other dps were downright dire. Like, bards under 3k. No deaths. Earlier tonight in the party I got that cleared a SMN that died twice was at 3k

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I make more mistakes in O1S than I ever make in 2-3 because I cleared it so quickly that I never memorized the boss' rotation. I'm reacting to what it does every week without any memory of what comes next

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

One of the pubbie O1S groups I ran this weekend hit enrage multiple times with the boss at greater than 20% HP. That was just impressively bad. Granted I had one or two dumb deaths since the real challenge in O1S is remembering his mechanics from the couple pulls you did a week ago, but still.

I almost didn't get an O3S clear in because a bunch of PF groups were explicitly blocking samurai, so I guess some other folks get the same impression that lots of sams are bads.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I make more mistakes in O1S than I ever make in 2-3 because I cleared it so quickly that I never memorized the boss' rotation. I'm reacting to what it does every week without any memory of what comes next

This is how I do it and I find as long as you don't screw up Carbohydrates it's fine.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SL the Pyro posted:

you'd think upheaval/onslaught on cooldown would be more damage than that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The people who try to do savage right after reset are pretty good at not sucking, turns out

Not insanely good at it, but pretty good

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SKULL.GIF posted:

4 out of 5 SAMs that I get in PF are irredeemably awful. I thought it'd be RDM that was the trash job but nope it's SAM. It's not infrequent that they can barely pull enough damage to outdo the tanks.

My static leader has gotten to the point where he mocks every Samurai we get (in private). It's just a matter of time before he starts mocking them to their face.

I sometimes get a second SAM in DF as I've been leveling SAM and I'm surprised at how rarely they use Iajutsu moves. No Higanbana on bosses, no Tenka Goken in groups, just the occasional Midare. I can understand maybe during a first run of Dusk Vigil or Sohm Al not having a complete handle on it, but by the Vault I would think the basic ins-and-outs of the class would be apparent. My suggestions have been met with silence.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 15, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm a bad healer because I pre-Regen tanks when they pull mobs.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Sometimes i'll accidentally Aspected Benefic the tank between pulls and think to myself "(please click it off please click it off please click it off) WELP I'M DEAD"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Is there a list anywhere of quest-related changes to the world? Large scale examples of this would be Alexander rising out of the lake, the grave of Haurchefant during the MSQ, etc.. Off the top of my head I can think of changes coming out of the SB Samurai and Botanist quests, and the HW Hildibrand chain-- I'm sure there must be plenty of others too.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 15, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Sometimes i'll accidentally Aspected Benefic the tank between pulls and think to myself "(please click it off please click it off please click it off) WELP I'M DEAD"

Despite the fact that healing aggro exists, I feel tanks have enough AoE abilities in their toolkit so that they can intercept mobs or at least stagger pulls to the point where you wouldn't get aggro.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Despite the fact that healing aggro exists, I feel tanks have enough AoE abilities in their toolkit so that they can intercept mobs or at least stagger pulls to the point where you wouldn't get aggro.

one flash wont keep that off of the healer, and im busy grabbing the next pack. Dont pre regen your tanks. Also over heals causing threat needs to go away. It's a relic of early 2000's that should be dead and gone. But they'll probably keep it as its the only way to make this game not even more brain dead easy raiding compared to wow. The fact you can click in this game at the high end level attests to that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Why do people hate on clicking so much? Especially when there are savage raiders that click.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

one flash wont keep that off of the healer, and im busy grabbing the next pack. Dont pre regen your tanks. Also over heals causing threat needs to go away. It's a relic of early 2000's that should be dead and gone. But they'll probably keep it as its the only way to make this game not even more brain dead easy raiding compared to wow. The fact you can click in this game at the high end level attests to that.

I've not had any problems with this as a tank or a healer. I pre-regen all the time and never pull agro, nor do I get it yanked off of me when tanking.

Unless I forget to turn shield oath on.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So long as Flash or Overpower connect and hit the mobs they're going to be stuck on the tank. Regen threat isn't going to pull off a tank with the innate enmity boost of tank stance.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Archyduke posted:

and the HW Hildegard chain

You mean Hildibrand? Because holy poo poo this must be the worst misspelling I've seen.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why do people hate on clicking so much? Especially when there are savage raiders that click.

Reflex carried over from WoW? About the only place where I would not want to see people clicking is during a Wildfire, because that *does* drop the GCD down to something comparable to WoW's. But yeah, clicking doesn't have nearly the same ramifications with the 2.5s GCD.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Holyshoot posted:

Yes it loving will, one flash under shield oath is an absolutely stupid amount of threat. While I don't usually pre-regen my tanks, it's not because it's a bad move, it's because most tanks are loving brain dead and won't do the one flash, instead just tossing out a shield lob before they run to the next pack, or if they miss a mob or two I'll have to deal with them, which is trivially easy but actually requires me to exert a modicum of effort which I am loathe to do.

I sure as gently caress don't give a poo poo if my regen is still on a tank or not when they start pulling more poo poo. All I really have to say to any healer who finds this an issue at all is git gud.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Reflex carried over from WoW? About the only place where I would not want to see people clicking is during a Wildfire, because that *does* drop the GCD down to something comparable to WoW's. But yeah, clicking doesn't have nearly the same ramifications with the 2.5s GCD.

It's this. People will learn one thing and then assume it applies to every situation always and spread it as gospel. With a little practice most classes in FFXIV can be played by clicking just as well as without, just make sure you can keep doing what you need to be doing whenever you need your mouse to orient.

Hra Mormo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 15, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nothing wrong with it at all if you're good enough to do it without missing your ability queue or GCD clipping.

I only do it when I'm feeling lazy, that said.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hra Mormo posted:

Yes it loving will, one flash under shield oath is an absolutely stupid amount of threat. While I don't usually pre-regen my tanks, it's not because it's a bad move, it's because most tanks are loving brain dead and won't do the one flash, instead just tossing out a shield lob before they run to the next pack, or if they miss a mob or two I'll have to deal with them, which is trivially easy but actually requires me to exert a modicum of effort which I am loathe to do.

I sure as gently caress don't give a poo poo if my regen is still on a tank or not when they start pulling more poo poo. All I really have to say to any healer who finds this an issue at all is git gud.

It's this. People will learn one thing and then assume it applies to every situation always and spread it as gospel. With a little practice most classes in FFXIV can be played by clicking just as well as without, just make sure you can keep doing what you need to be doing whenever you need your mouse to orient.

its still loving dumb to have threat generate on over heal. I just assume thats their lovely legacy code causing that. Yoshi-P has played other mmo's he has to understand it adds nothing to a game.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like others have said the hate and apprehension comes from wow and the fact most clickers are BAD. I'm not hating on it but you're only getting away with it in savage content because ffxiv savage content is methodical and the same and you have 2.5 gcd. You would never be able to raid effectively and click in mythic wow. The last time I saw a clicker in wow in actual hard content was a prot pld killing the ruby sanctum dragon as a world 5th kill.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A samurai not using iaijustsu is just crazy to me. I play samurai and I use it all the freaking time. My flaw is sometimes I forget to use more kenki abilities and it can go to waste but beyond that, always iaijutsu all the time. But playing pve content after doing pvp a lot is pretty jarring since the combos are, rightfully, consolidated into one button. So getting the muscle memory back to hit a thousand more buttons for a combo takes a few (boy do I want single button combos for samurai and dragoon).

But I'm also a samurai player who is constantly worried about keeping up my 10% buffs, so I always go through the combos. Always. So Meikyo Shisui gets neglected a lot of the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The entire threat game is brain dead easy so having overheal cause threat only matters for like the first 5 seconds of a fight.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The entire threat game is brain dead easy so having overheal cause threat only matters for like the first 5 seconds of a fight.

get out of tank stance sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Holyshoot posted:

get out of tank stance sometime

I don't need tank stance when shirk exists.

In single tank content, I'm in tank stance for my first three combos, which is probably longer than better tanks.