Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Someone in cspam brought it up: is it possible we are in a cultural revolution right now?

I was just about to make a post wondering if we're about to see a second civil war. poo poo just feels like it's coming to a head, and that the only way forward is violence and bloodshed. At least that's how I feel nowadays. This country is divided as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zeris posted:

I never read much of the case. Was there proof or just he said vs she said? Also this case was her suing after he sued for defamation right?

There was a picture of the DJ clearly grabbing her rear end.

He sued for defamation, she counter-sued for assault. I have no idea why the guy thought he would win.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Genocide Tendency posted:

What part of :

Did you not understand.

The part where you think historical context and origin of antifa has any relevance to its contemporary use here in the states.

Edit: regarding its use by right wing media I should say

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 15, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vengarr posted:

There was a picture of the DJ clearly grabbing her rear end.

He sued for defamation, she counter-sued for assault. I have no idea why the guy thought he would win.

Because he's a man and she's just a woman?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

FastestGunAlive posted:

The part where you think historical context and origin of antifa has any relevance to its contemporary use here in the states.

Edit: regarding its use by right wing media I should say

Again.

Anyone using it in the states is legit retarded. Because literally no antifa groups here have the stomach for violence that the black flag terror groups in East Europe used to earn that badge.

Try reading.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BadOptics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ra9cXx1-o

Then we'll all go down to Dixie,
Away, away,
Each Dixie boy must understand
That he must mind his Uncle Sam,
Away, away,
And we'll all go down to Dixie.
Away, away,
And we'll all go down to Dixie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrYlR6RwRCw

Hurrah, hurrah, we bring the jubilee!
Hurrah, hurrah, the flag that makes you free

So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea,
While we were marching through Georgia

So we made a thoroughfare for freedom and her train,
Sixty miles in latitude, three hundred to the main;
Treason fled before us, for resistance was in vain
While we were marching through Georgiaaaaa

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mike-o posted:

I was just about to make a post wondering if we're about to see a second civil war. poo poo just feels like it's coming to a head, and that the only way forward is violence and bloodshed. At least that's how I feel nowadays. This country is divided as gently caress.

I think so too. The trick is not to obsess on the shitheads, be mindful, detached, like Krishna.

Time am I, the mighty destroyer of the world, out to destroy. Even without your participation all the warriors standing arrayed in the opposing armies shall cease to exist.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Again.

Try reading.

Who cares. They're fighting against Nazis and they could call themselves Dickhead McTwinklefootz for all I care.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Again.

Try reading.

People are literally retarded. Good hot takes up in here.

Hopefully no antifa group here "earns the badge" and your approval for them to use the term. But if the white power crowd escalates after this weekend, may have to meet force with force

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That vice reporter has bigger balls than I

Of course that bald oval office packs a keltec

Can't wait for that Canadian dude at the start to get found and charged under hate speech laws.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Again.

Try reading.

thanks for your expert opinion on the matter, forums poster Genocide Tendency

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey stop being whiny bitches

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Who cares. They're fighting against Nazis and they could call themselves Dickhead McTwinklefootz for all I care.

Except when they can't get to the Nazis cos the cops boxed em in and they double down (and get maced)

My friend sent me this this morning:

quote:

On the same weekend that the white supremacists held their rally in charlottesville, another small group of them was holding an event in seattle, and there was an anti-hate rally being held at the same time in protest. I'd known about it and was already planning to go before all this happened. Ours was on sunday, so we heard about the protester who was killed in charlottesville the day before, and our facebook event went from 140 people to 1200 by the end of the day, and a group of anti-fascist anarchists called Antifa started coming into seattle to join in.

I posted the pictures from it to https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwF4aXWPQXruRWRRTW9OZnRlSVE?usp=sharing. Note that the march starts peacefully with signs promoting love and solidarity, but then as it got bigger it started getting infiltrated by people in black masks who then broke off to go confront the nationalist group, with a pretty big part of the original crowd following them. The cops were ready for them and had set a barricade. It didn't turn violent like virginia's but it was pretty tense and they eventually started throwing concussion grenades to disperse the crowd. While the protesters and cops were squaring off i managed to climb up onto a lightpost so i was able to get pictures of the clash.

I'm totes down for a good 'ol Nazi stompin' but if the local constabulary is actually doing it's job you might have to find another angle.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/897173485226786817

because the guys fighting the IJA tooth and nail up suribachi on iwo jima are exactly the same as the band of hickass fuckers who invaded Pennsylvania to send free black people back south in chains, obviously.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
man I took a peek at James Woods' twitter and holy gently caress

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

The economy is decent right now. If walmart or the housing market tanks, there will be a bunch of shitheels looking for an explanation.

I am legit worried that Charlottesville and the response this week has worked to establish a posture of "all is fair" and people are going to get shot at the next rally in Boston this weekend.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

man I took a peek at James Woods' twitter and holy gently caress
James Woods is a loving moron who has gone completely off the deep end.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Intel: not scared of mean tweets

https://www.axios.com/intel-ceo-exits-president-trumps-manufacturing-council-2473054692.html

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/897173485226786817

because the guys fighting the IJA tooth and nail up suribachi on iwo jima are exactly the same as the band of hickass fuckers who invaded Pennsylvania to send free black people back south in chains, obviously.

Well there's a lot of hate on MANY SIDES man!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

cowboy elvis posted:

Ok what's his SA name?

~A Tank Commander Marine

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Lake of Methane posted:

The economy is decent right now.

I disagree with this statement, and so do a lot of people who show up to these protests. The economy is changing, and a lot of folks are getting left in the dust.

Lake of Methane posted:

I am legit worried that Charlottesville and the response this week has worked to establish a posture of "all is fair" and people are going to get shot at the next rally in Boston this weekend.

This is right on though. Gloves are coming off, and it's gonna get messy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MRC48B posted:

I disagree with this statement, and so do a lot of people who show up to these protests. The economy is changing, and a lot of folks are getting left in the dust.

The economy is fine. That is to say, the economic output of the United States is fine. Note that this is independent of the median wage or purchasing power parity of working-class people.

And again, can anyone actually produce a study that demonstrates that poor economic outlook among rural Americans is correlated to participation in white supremacy or neo-nazi organizations?

I have a hunch it's more of a function of:

quote:

He persists in his efforts to slur cities as radioactive war zones because the fact that America’s diverse big cities are thriving relative to the whiter, less populous parts of the country suggests that the liberal experiment works — that people of diverse origins and faiths prosper together in free and open societies. To advance his administration’s agenda, with its protectionism and cultural nationalism, Trump needs to spread the notion that the polyglot metropolis is a dangerous failure.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 15, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Mike-o posted:

Nah. Turn the news off brosef

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MRC48B posted:

The things is Donnie isn't going to do poo poo about it. Those retards voted to kill themselves.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

There's a photograph of him with his hand on her rear end. His defense rested on Taylor Swift not knowing her rear end from her ribcage.

And his lawyer asking questions like "if you felt like you were being assaulted, why didn't you react like someone who was being assaulted?"

Fig. 1.1: "My hand was totally on her ribcage, honest."

That guy's head is almost as big as T-swizz's torso

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

MRC48B posted:

Gloves are coming off, and it's gonna get messy.

Yuuuup. I live in rural NC ~2 hours from both Charlottesville and Durham. poo poo felt v squirrely today at work, can't say I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/inafried/status/897286074409435137

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
On the political level this is starting to feel like the beginning of The Mattering. If Donnie Dumbfuck starts to double down on being OK with Nazis because people said mean things to him that doesn't at all feel like it can slide under the radar like being a racist, misogynist hateful rear end in a top hat can in this country. There's a whole lot more room in the country than there should be that allows the latter but let's be honest about some parts of the country.

There's even been a ton of work done normalizing Russian interference and pretending that Putin's just misunderstood, give peace a chance ok? But coming out and saying "yeah I'm totes cool with Nazis. Why not?" though just feels like a bridge too far for the generally willfully ignorant of the country. Even GOP Congress critters are drawing away from that one.

I'm not prepared to say they're all doing it because of strong moral fiber, I think they can read the way the wind is blowing on public opinion when they start being confronted with really simple and direct, "why are you supporting Nazi's?" while Donnie looks ready to charge right into that Twitter slap fight.

Really, really feels like the "worse before it gets better" line is exactly what we've got coming.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Donnie just retweeted this:
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/897107711434915842

He just doesn't know how to stop digging.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Donnie just retweeted this:
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/897107711434915842

He just doesn't know how to stop digging.

Tickets to Chicago are like 80$ memorial day weekend

And now I know why

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

On the political level this is starting to feel like the beginning of The Mattering. If Donnie Dumbfuck starts to double down on being OK with Nazis because people said mean things to him that doesn't at all feel like it can slide under the radar like being a racist, misogynist hateful rear end in a top hat can in this country. There's a whole lot more room in the country than there should be that allows the latter but let's be honest about some parts of the country.

There's even been a ton of work done normalizing Russian interference and pretending that Putin's just misunderstood, give peace a chance ok? But coming out and saying "yeah I'm totes cool with Nazis. Why not?" though just feels like a bridge too far for the generally willfully ignorant of the country. Even GOP Congress critters are drawing away from that one.

I'm not prepared to say they're all doing it because of strong moral fiber, I think they can read the way the wind is blowing on public opinion when they start being confronted with really simple and direct, "why are you supporting Nazi's?" while Donnie looks ready to charge right into that Twitter slap fight.

Really, really feels like the "worse before it gets better" line is exactly what we've got coming.
Even dumbfucks like Paul Ryan might start losing their eagerness to rule over a pile of ashes. Dumbfuck might be willing to sign stuff they put in front of him but he's not really worth the trouble since he'll turn on you in an instant and maybe blow the world up while he's at it.

In positive news Don't be a Sucker is going viral I've been recommending it to people for years now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

How do you even find out about these altright/antifa rallies

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

social media.

university of florida is going to host richard spencer in a month or so. i follow a lot of UF stuff and that's how i found out about it.

i'm sure if you're a nazi and tapped into nazi social media it wouldn't be too difficult.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
YOU DONT SAY: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/14/fbi-and-dhs-warned-of-growing-threat-from-white-supremacists-months-ago/

The FBI and DHS sent Trump warnings in may that we were going to see a rise in violent white extremism this year.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Read this as airtight rallies

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

:same:

Are you gonna call yours "The General Sherman" too?

Flamethrower exhaust or bust

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Tickets to Chicago are like 80$ memorial day weekend

And now I know why

As a literal representative of the tourist industry in Chicago, I am compelled to point out that Memorial day tickets are cheap because of discount pricing and unless you're trying to buy heroin or start a fight over turf, your odds of getting shot in Chicago are pretty low.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Benagain posted:

As a literal representative of the tourist industry in Chicago, I am compelled to point out that Memorial day tickets are cheap because of discount pricing and unless you're trying to buy heroin or start a fight over turf, your odds of getting shot in Chicago are pretty low.
Well what do you do on your vacations smarty pants?

• Locked thread