Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sexpig by night posted:

Funimation: "We were just following the original intent when we changed 'you're not really my type' to 'I'm not into women' in the dub"

Official bluray: 'Here's a picture of a gay dragon wedding'

Who thought it was a good idea to make them straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to make them straight?

Jaysus

Why do you think Tohru has beef with God?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Personally I never really had a problem with that line myself because even in the subbed version I felt part of Kobayashi's arc was pretty much that of a repressed lesbian becoming open to being in a gay relationship. Her whole speech in episode 2 about humans rejecting things that aren't normal just screamed that at me.

A big part of her character is that she doesn't really know what she wants because shes so emotionally repressed. Saying she's not gay (at that point) doesn't actually mean anything imo.

I can see why it'd piss people off though and it wasn't the smartest translation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Personally I never really had a problem with that line myself because even in the subbed version I felt part of Kobayashi's arc was pretty much that of a repressed lesbian becoming open to being in a gay relationship. Her whole speech in episode 2 about humans rejecting things that aren't normal just screamed that at me.

A big part of her character is that she doesn't really know what she wants because shes so emotionally repressed. Saying she's not gay (at that point) doesn't actually mean anything imo.

I can see why it'd piss people off though and it wasn't the smartest translation.

Eh, Kobayashi seemed pretty open and at peace with being way into Big 'Ol Tiddies from episode 1 to me. It was actual meaningful human(ish) connections she wasn't too hot on.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Agreed; it's a dumb change that doesn't do anything good, but it doesn't change her fundamental character arc.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephthys posted:

It's not just about Kobayashi.

Kobayashi says "You know I'm a woman, right" and Tohru keeps pursuing her, it means that Tohru doesn't care that Kobayashi is a woman

Kobayashi says "I'm not into women" and Tohru keeps pursuing her, it means that Tohru doesn't care what Kobayashi wants.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not just about Kobayashi.

Kobayashi says "You know I'm a woman, right" and Tohru keeps pursuing her, it means that Tohru doesn't care that Kobayashi is a woman

Kobayashi says "I'm not into women" and Tohru keeps pursuing her, it means that Tohru doesn't care what Kobayashi wants.

yea that's my biggest issue. Going from 'you get I'm a woman and this implies I'm making it clear in MY culture this is a very odd relationship even if you weren't an ancient dragon of chaos too' to 'I'm not into women, implying I'm a woman who identifies as straight and has no interest in getting into a relationship with you' makes Tohru go from a libertine outsider who doesn't really give a poo poo about human norms to...just kinda a predatory rear end in a top hat. It's the same general arc but when you have an already existing perfectly good not quasi-predatory beginning the change is just gross.

Also yea Kobayashi is clearly super into women from episode 1, she's more than happy to ramble about her maid fetish and all, so turning it from 'alright maybe she needs a few drinks and a good social bond with someone before she opens up but there's clearly no real SHAME here' to closet case stuff is kinda lame too. Just let the anime nerd be gay, she likes maids and that's OK.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fangz posted:

What good friends they are.

Official bluray extras.

I'm glad they got married. :3:

Also, it really came off to me that rather than repressing she was gay Kobayashi was just unable to accept the fact that someone was sincerely in love with her. Especially as overtly as Tohru was.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
FYI they've started translating the chapters of Kanna's Daily Life, if you want your dose of best gay couple and their dragon daughter.

I haven't found'em outside of 4chan, but the latest thread includes links to the previous translated chapters.

E: oh, and ch 48, which hasn't hit batoto yet.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 10, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is that a different author than the original?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yeah, different artist. Dunno if different writer too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can tell if it's the original author or not by the hosed up trump-like hands and feet

(And the ridiculous boobs)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah kannas daily life is good. its not as witty or impactful I'd say, but also lacks any of Cool's perversions, so it's just a chill medium

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

yeah kannas daily life is good. its not as witty or impactful I'd say, but also lacks any of Cool's perversions, so it's just a chill medium

That's honestly about the strongest recommendation I could imagine for Kanna's Daily Life, actually. The manga was at its worst when it was going maximum horny, IMO.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Speaking of maximum horny, latest Lucoa/Shouta chapter starts with a full page of Lucoa T&A as she's hopping naked on top of Shouta to "keep him warm". why can't we just have more best gay couple and dragon daughter? Also, Iruru doesn't have the balls for hands and just have slightly elongated fingers

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
^ iruru figured out hands earlier yeah

chapter 48 was ok hand emoji. heres a full-page spread for the important moment

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I recall reading that Cool really liked the adaptation, so some of the plot elements may bleed in. That being said, it wouldn't be a surprise considering Ojojojo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

^ iruru figured out hands earlier yeah

chapter 48 was ok hand emoji. heres a full-page spread for the important moment

awwwwwwwwww :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, I missed a lot of chapters. Volume 5 was a lot better than the previous volume, I liked the stuff with Tohru and Elma and there was a lot of nice moments with Tohru and Kobayashi. It reminds me though that the anime did a lot of the characters better than the manga, Lucoa and Shouta are probably the weakest parts of the anime but they're still better than in the manga and Saikawa is a whole lot less weird.

The Kanna manga is pretty cute though. Is it just a different artist or is Cool not the author either?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maybe Cool saw the anime and realized that his manga could appeal to a much wider crowd of people that prefer a farcical but sweet and genuine story about a salarywoman who gets married to a dragon lady if he focuses less on the perving on giant boobs aspect of it all.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I don't mind Lucoa titillation, but going full T&A on Shouta is no bueno.
More of Demons out, Blessings in! Less, well, shouta-con.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

ChairMaster posted:

Maybe Cool saw the anime and realized that his manga could appeal to a much wider crowd of people that prefer a farcical but sweet and genuine story about a salarywoman who gets married to a dragon lady if he focuses less on the perving on giant boobs aspect of it all.

... naw.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Cool's other works are 110% giant boobs and shotas so I don't think he's having a change of heart any time soon.

Those Kanna chapters were nice though!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zeruel posted:

I don't mind Lucoa titillation, but going full T&A on Shouta is no bueno.
More of Demons out, Blessings in! Less, well, shouta-con.

Yea the character works way better in moments like that and him just grimly accepting she'd work for "World Class" and all. Like, make her the kinda ditzy older sister type to him, that's way more fun than 'this dragon keeps trying to molest a child'.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That'd require CK to be ... well, not CK.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
On the other hand he's now got Chichichichi to dump his perviness on, so Kobayashi will probably chill out a bit. Still, it's clear that it wasn't ever meant to be 100% pure like Danna or Ojojojo, so you just gotta accept things as they come.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Hey look at this really good fanfic about Kobayashi dealing with anxiety.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12609945/1/Anxiety

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
No.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

More fan art tho

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Babies.

http://silent-shanin.tumblr.com/post/164197947920/hey-remember-when-i-told-you-i-had-an-idea-for-a

quote:

Hey, remember when I told you I had an idea for a KobaTohru child, but couldn’t show you because her sis was still being designed?

Here they are! Kobayashi Miho (美火 meaning: Beautiful Fire) and her sister Kobayashi Midori (翠 meaning: Green (designed by @askmisskobayashi))

http://silent-shanin.tumblr.com/post/164120647020/send-me-dumb-maid-dragon-headcanons-and-i-might

quote:

@djunk411​ Did this turn into a kindergarten AU? It sure did, but boy did I have fun thinking of these! We’ll call it Dragonling!AU. I have a lot more comics planned for this, but let me first give you a little rundown of the kids.
Go to the links for more info.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
<- Tohru's Fault is the most useful label

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

sexpig by night posted:

<- Tohru's Fault is the most useful label

Good User/Post combo too!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tohru and Kobayashi don't need another child when they already have Kanna. That dragon shirt is rad, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I appreciate these babies.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Controversial opinion:
I would like to see Lucoa and conveniently 18+ years old Shouta's child.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:yikes:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the character works way better in moments like that and him just grimly accepting she'd work for "World Class" and all. Like, make her the kinda ditzy older sister type to him, that's way more fun than 'this dragon keeps trying to molest a child'.

Pushing the Lucoa/Shota as big sister/little brother dynamic was the best new direction the anime took, it gave the relationship a lot of new depth and humor.

Pollyanna posted:

I appreciate these babies.

As do I, and I like them better as a Muppet Babies reimagining, rather than children of the real characters, so I'm glad that's what it seems to have turned into. I kinda hate the trope of cartoon parents having kids that are basically copies of the themselves rather than their own people.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Pushing the Lucoa/Shota as big sister/little brother dynamic was the best new direction the anime took, it gave the relationship a lot of new depth and humor.

Yeah, it actually made their dynamic better as it went on when you would think it would either disappear or get worse.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.spreepicky.com/collections/new-arrival/products/miss-kobayashis-dragon-maid-anime-doll-sp1710366

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That's loving spectacular

• Locked thread