Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Can't really disagree. Imagine we'd had that scene two or three episodes ago, everyone complaining about wasting ten minutes on the fireman story, then the Giant comes on today and introduces himself and everyone loses their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Cromulent posted:

Cole: LUCY, HAVE YOU BEEN THERE ALL THESE YEARS?

Lucy: Well, I have gone home...
I laughed so fuckin hard during this sequence

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.
I haven't bought much into the theory that this season is Audrey's dream while she's in a coma. That's mainly because she appears so late in the season. For now, it's hard to recontextualize the whole thing into something meaningful from her perspective.

However, one thing stands out, in my mind, that lends some credence to this theory, and it is that I can believe that Tammy Preston is the FBI agent Audrey would have imagined herself becoming.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Can't really disagree. Imagine we'd had that scene two or three episodes ago, everyone complaining about wasting ten minutes on the fireman story, then the Giant comes on today and introduces himself and everyone loses their poo poo.

This would've been awesome.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground

Where the heck is that bat/gremlin creature from in the second comparison?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

FSFunky posted:

Its an owl.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground

okay this one is on me, I can't come up with an excuse for not seeing that

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
It's okay, the owls are not what they seem.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

So they arrested the lovely cop and put him in a cell in his uniform and we the audience know he's a poo poo but we don't know what he did and nobody will say they just say "what is this about" and "i think you know" and he goes away exactly like a guilty person would. Did I get a phone call and miss something or is that the scene?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean he's been in cahoots with kid-flattener Richard Horne so

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

He ate his lunch in the conference room even though he knew that he wasn't supposed to. They all saw it. :nono:

Oh, and he also stole the letter Heidi's clone sent to the sheriff.

I quite enjoyed the British bloke's glove story. It's way more entertaining to imagine him fighting with the clerk over a single rubber glove than it is hearing one half of a phone conversation about people we don't know.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 15, 2017

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.
It's already been said: We, the audience, had Chad under our own surveillance the past few months, and we know he is quite guilty. Do we really need a "Sherriff's department keeps deputy under surveillance" storyline to believe that the other cops have had similar opportunity to observe Chad? Chad is not very subtle about his corruption. Witness the "No smoking" scene in the Roadhouse.

I think having Chad under arrest is the first step towards the Sherriff's Department discovering Red. And I think it means Bobby is now on a collision course with Red. Especially considering Red's involvement with Shelly, who Bobby obviously still has feelings for, he collides with Red in two different ways.

My first thought, after watching the most recent episode, was that Freddie and his glove would help defeat Red and his coke wizard martial arts. But after so many others have suggested that the green glove is for arm wrestling, I think they're correct.

Until recently, I thought that this season was definitively the end of Twin Peaks. So I had expected many storylines to have definitive conclusions. Lately, it seems that a forth season is not impossible, but merely "undiscussed". So my expectations for how many storylines will be resolved in the finale are severely lessened.

Edit: I hope Chad was arrested for mail theft.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Huh, so if Bowie's voice was changed, I wonder if we'll hear more from him. Perhaps voice was changed so that another actor could play him, and real voice vs fake voice in one season wouldn've been recognizable? Wouldn't surprise me, since, as people said, Jeffries is way too important of a character to just never appear in any way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hearing the opening notes of the theme still gets me sexually excited

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

[odd chattering continues]

[whimpers oddly]

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

GoldenGun posted:

Overall a good episode, but that scene with James and the other security guy was extremely weak. The guy provides an exposition dump out of the blue that conveniently connects with the thing Andy experienced just moments before, to set him up as an important piece of the puzzle in the laziest way possible. It also makes things disappointingly literal and straightforward, with the Fireman acting as a kind of deus ex machina nudging people into the right place when needed.

I felt a similar way, albeit I quite enjoyed both the scenes. It's funny how this show, for all the vagueness, mystery and suspenseful drawn out pacing, really hits you over the head with plot points when it wants to be explicit about moving it forward.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I've been imagining Freddie's meeting with the giant was just British as hell, like the giant would try to be vague and he'd just be like 'wot? wot??' over and over again until the giant just got fed up and told him what to do straight out

My immediate thought after reading your post:
https://youtu.be/G5XO4yboDCo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

[odd chattering continues]

[whimpers oddly]

The sound description captions were on point this episode

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You need to sleep.

Polo-Rican posted:

Ehhhh I think Andy just absorbed the white lodge's info because he has a weird brain that's receptive to Lodge stuff. People with normal brains don't seem to cope with the lodges as well.

In the lodge, and in the episode itself, they explicitly talk about and show 2 Coopers. Andy would make 3... Or maybe 2.5

Well, I was sleepy but I swear I could hear those lines from Dale Cooper mouth and it made perfect sense has something he would say, not Andy. Then in the scene at the cells he still seems.. different. Smarter, braver

And no, it would't mean another Cooper: for all we know, Dougie is empty, Cooper soul can be still stuck on the black lodge, and now inside Andy. Or maybe not, but I will believe it until proven otherwise

One thing I dont understand is why Sheriff Thruman told Cole about 2 Coopers and the Laura Palmer found pages, but not about all the rest

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's pretty cool that the White Lodge and the Black Lodge are in agreement that Booper needs to go the gently caress home.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Counteresperanto posted:

My first thought, after watching the most recent episode, was that Freddie and his glove would help defeat Red and his coke wizard martial arts. But after so many others have suggested that the green glove is for arm wrestling, I think they're correct.
I've seen a lot of people predicting this but I just don't see how it'll happen. Mr. C showed open disdain for the arm wrestling, calling it nursery school. He showed no interest in leading that gang. I'm not sure what would lead him to want to arm wrestle someone in Twin Peaks. If anything, I think the rubber glove will act as some kind of insulator to electricity, with the super strength being kind of a red herring.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My Lovely Horse posted:

It was a good scene and his delivery was pretty funny regardless of context. It was probably closer to the Wally scene than anything else in the show and that ruled too.

On spoiler stuff, I don't think it's even possible to really spoil this show if you're talking generally plot points. I can't imagine anyone reading "Lucy and Andy's son comes to town" would have expected what we got. That speaks to how strong the show is, it's not possible to get the same experience reading about the plot.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 15, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol just lol if you don't think green glove man will smash a cooper's skull with his strong hand a la abraham lincoln

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwlAvsPvPfg

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dougie has Freddie like grip strength too. Maybe Freddie is gonna shake hands with Dougie and the residual heat from so much grip strength is going to be enough to turn the Earth into a newborn star.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FSFunky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KweD1Bxjt9w

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The glove guy was cool, and phrases like "exposition dump" and "tell don't show" make me cringe

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I love the glove guy's story. I'm sure The Fireman wasn't as chatty as Glove Guy said he was. It's just how he interpreted what happened in the White Lodge.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Glove guy was hilarious, I half expected him to call James guvnor and start talking about his rooty-tooty-point-and-shooty.

Maybe other countries have different Firemen and the American one is just a cryptic dick

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hawowanlawow posted:

The glove guy was cool, and phrases like "exposition dump" and "tell don't show" make me cringe

Thing is, any one of us can imagine how any "typical" modern-day show or movie would handle all the exposition and story delivery given in scenes like

- Cole and Albert telling Tammy about the Blue Rose investigation
- Truman and Hawk arresting Chad
- Green glove guy telling his story

I mean, we can think about how these scenes would look in a Breaking Bad or The Wire or any number of other shows—we can imagine it without any effort. There would be dramatic reveals, there would be flashbacks, there would be incidental music. It's so obvious how other shows would do it, it's almost ludicrous to think of not doing it that way.

And yet Twin Peaks thinks nothing of doing exposition in this offhand, on-the-nose, almost insultingly direct way. It flies so directly in the face of what we've come to expect a "typical" show to do that it can't possibly be unintentional, right? Either it's this way because David Lynch lacks the filmmaking and storytelling skills of a middle schooler, or ... he's better than any of these "traditional" filmmakers who do it the "right" way, and he's doing something so outré and so beyond any of them we're never going to understand it no matter how many panels down the expanding-brain meme we are.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. I'm just along for the ride, and lord knows if nothing else it's refreshing to see the mold being broken with such complete and utter confidence in itself, so we know it's not just this way by mistake. It's baffling, and it's fun to be baffled. It's nice to know things can still be baffling.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dougie has Freddie like grip strength too. Maybe Freddie is gonna shake hands with Dougie and the residual heat from so much grip strength is going to be enough to turn the Earth into a newborn star.
DOUGIE JONES! YOU SONOFABITCH!

*shakes hands so hard it opens a path to both lodges*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait to sit down and watch all 18 episodes in a day while my rear end rots off

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

moist turtleneck posted:

I can't wait to sit down and watch all 18 episodes in a day while my rear end rots off

same

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Mike said Booper screwed everything up and that now one of him or Dougie need to die but then Booper got shot and did die but came back sooo it's kinda hard to predict whether or not the end for Booper will be being sent back to the Lodge or him actually being destroyed.

Also he's still technically harboring Bob which I assume will be mentioned again before the end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Thing is, any one of us can imagine how any "typical" modern-day show or movie would handle all the exposition and story delivery given in scenes like
I mean, we can think about how these scenes would look in a Breaking Bad or The Wire or any number of other shows—we can imagine it without any effort. There would be dramatic reveals, there would be flashbacks, there would be incidental music. It's so obvious how other shows would do it, it's almost ludicrous to think of not doing it that way.

And yet Twin Peaks thinks nothing of doing exposition in this offhand, on-the-nose, almost insultingly direct way. It flies so directly in the face of what we've come to expect a "typical" show to do that it can't possibly be unintentional, right? Either it's this way because David Lynch lacks the filmmaking and storytelling skills of a middle schooler, or ... he's better than any of these "traditional" filmmakers who do it the "right" way, and he's doing something so outré and so beyond any of them we're never going to understand it no matter how many panels down the expanding-brain meme we are.

lmao, christ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Here's the version specifically filmed for Twin Peaks: https://www.thepreludepress.com/news/2017/8/14/lissie-releases-new-music-video-for-wild-west

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that blonde was cute and had a nice voice but man, country music. a country song called' wild wild west' is sung with all sincerity. what a trashfire of a genre.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wicky wicky wild wild west, you say?

http://i.imgur.com/AgygdAD.gifv

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
On what planet is that considered a country song? Just... what??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That song really needed more giant spider references

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
in coles dream, COOPER IS WEARING THE SUIT PIN. the pin is the key. dougie coop has no pin, lodge coop had it.