Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I felt that the Dark Souls board game was a massively point-missing design that utterly wasted its license. I'll be shocked if this isn't another cookie-cutter coop game that does the same.

I think if it was bad, they actually did get the jist of Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Haystack posted:

Pendragon had a section on playing female knights. It basically boiled down to "it's wildly out of character for Arthurian literature but it's your game, so let's discuss the closest examples we could find."

Well, in that case I no longer have any barriers to not backing...

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Now that I've actually looked at it the section on playing as a women was a lot better and more comprehensive than I remembered

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The really deep historical-fantasy games like Ars Magica and Pendragon tend to be pretty good about that stuff and also pretty willing to discuss the historic figures that demonstrate what women could and did do during the period and/or literature.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A Dark Souls board game should've been a deck builder with reshuffling your deck representing dying and coming back to life.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Xelkelvos posted:

A Dark Souls board game should've been a deck builder with reshuffling your deck representing dying and coming back to life.

Why? When I think of Dark Souls I think, drat cant use that spell cause I didn't draw it but I have 4 blocks cards. cool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bombadilillo posted:

Why? When I think of Dark Souls I think, drat cant use that spell cause I didn't draw it but I have 4 blocks cards. cool.

Presumably you get stronger cards when you die and trash old cards (so it'll need to have trashing as a universal option). Karmaka is a neat little game that very much feels like that but it's more PVP instead of the PVE dark souls experience.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Bruegelburg - a day at the fair looks promising.
Mostly civilian miniatures for rpgs.

This is their 4th kickstarter.
Anyone know anything about them? Did they go ok?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Squiddo is doing Gothic Horror minis. Look pretty sweet, they kind of remind me of the classic Warhams Vampire Counts minis.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

The really deep historical-fantasy games like Ars Magica and Pendragon tend to be pretty good about that stuff and also pretty willing to discuss the historic figures that demonstrate what women could and did do during the period and/or literature.

yea hilariously it's the uber historic games that tend to be all 'uh, you guys can play a lady knight if you want, you should probably deal with some social stigma issues and all but you know the stories we were reading and basing this off were all written by dudes right? Maybe there's some bias there, let your players do whatever works'. It's the wizard elf dragon stuff that tends to take the "NO WOMEN DIED AT CHILDBIRTH ONLY" hardline.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So I got a shipping notice that seems to be for the Conan RPG. It's from the Hong Kong post and putting in the tracking number tells me that on August 12th it was "Handed over to carrier / Left for destination"

This sounds a lot like they just packed it off onto a ship or whatever to head to the US? There's no estimated delivery date, they say that's handled by the destination postal administration, so I'm wondering why they bothered with this step.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

occamsnailfile posted:

So I got a shipping notice that seems to be for the Conan RPG. It's from the Hong Kong post and putting in the tracking number tells me that on August 12th it was "Handed over to carrier / Left for destination"

This sounds a lot like they just packed it off onto a ship or whatever to head to the US? There's no estimated delivery date, they say that's handled by the destination postal administration, so I'm wondering why they bothered with this step.

Yeah, it's exactly as you say. They've handed it off to USPS or whatever the devs contracted with to send out the pledge. Basically it's so that you can follow it from the factory, as opposed to having absolutely no info from the first leg where it just mysteriously "appears" somewhere in the US for them to ship.

Other KS otherwise have some sort of bulk shipping to distribution warehouses in a region and ship them out that way. Guess they went with the first route cause Conan is so drat large.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Squiddo is doing Gothic Horror minis. Look pretty sweet, they kind of remind me of the classic Warhams Vampire Counts minis.

Yes, do this! Annie's a fellow goon and a nice person. She deserves your money and support!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

IMO, trashing and deck optimization is a fundamental part of deck building as is anything that essentially mitigates the luck component as much as possible, but depending on how it's mechanically designed, it can go a lot of ways.

A quick and dirty version off the top of my head has the deck represent the player's resources and gear. Going through all of the cards in the deck means having run out of resources and opportunities. Finishing a hand without running out is basically an opportunity for the enemy to regroup, attack or whatever they do. It's an opening that the player allowed the opponent because they ran out of steam for more than a moment and need to recharge.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My copy of Lisboa arrived this morning in Australia, the packaging was huge. Everything about the components is gorgeous, thick cardboard everything and the insert is great. For those of you that own the gallerist the box is the same size. My one complaint is that the board itself doesn't have a spot in the insert like the gallerist does so it can just slide around in the box.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Superhero: 2044, the actual first superhero RPG, is kickstarting...something.

quote:

Everyone associated with the gaming industry understands the overwhelming nature of product offerings with a fantasy based theme. Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder and Magic dominate tabletops from here to Timbuctoo . I was looked at with a smidge of skepticism when I began discussing with people the possibility of doing an RPG based on comic books and super heroes. Basically it was like the movie Forrest Gump when Tom Hanks goes to buy a shrimp boat from an old mariner on the Gulf Coast- “ Is ya stupid or something?”. If the universal experience of fantasy games triggers a sense memory of that first fairy tale we heard as a child then super hero games ; in theory, should trigger similar universal fond memories of that first time as a kid we tied a towel around our neck as a makeshift cape and jumped off the couch. But the devil has been in the details in our industry. There have been some great games …but… No super hero themed game ever reached the popularity of fantasy games. In movies, TV, video gaming, and toys…super heroes win the day. Except in our industry. The thing that was bothering me was the WHY. Both major comic book publishing houses have had offerings by game developers over the years but each one had it’s flaws, critics, and detractors. If you are making game based on popular heroes you start out with certain disadvantages. Extremely powerful characters cannot be watered down or large corporations who make billions on T-shirt sale get nervous. Game mechanics and gameplay balance ne damned. The smaller companies without a major DC or Marvel license in hand seemed to give up on the visual demands of the comic book public right away. So lack of visuals in the comic book realm is sure death. Many of those games presume the creation of a compelling comic book universe from scratch. Good luck with that. So I began to look at older games and what they did right and what they did wrong and found Superhero: 2044. Many games that followed SH: 2044 co-opted numerous game rules but curiously left out what I felt was the very foundation of having a successful super hero themed game. This was the inception of categorizing each character into classifications which formed a structure integral to organizing gameplay. It just needed characters. It may sound counter-intuitive in a D&D world but you need a base universe - to build a universe of your own. We built it and give you the tools to build upon it. I saw all these issues as an opportunity. First you need a bunch of viable characters. I started with the wealth of classic characters who are free to use. Then added characters I felt would be necessary for an interesting game. We methodically prepared the visuals and when those were underway we began systematically developing each character’s attributes and statistical scores based on what would happen in the real world if these people sprung to life. The result is a universe specifically generated FOR a game as opposed to a makeshift retrofit of popular characters into a game. We have carte blanche to create a balance among the characters to make entertaining game. Seemingly all powerful godlike characters will have achilles heel weaknesses. Street savvy underdogs can obtain weaponry which can even the playing field instantaneously. Each player participates in the gameplay evenly in a collaborative effort to save the world. Add in structured math, ships, vehicles, villains, and mercenaries backstories for all the above and I feel we have arrived at the perfect comic book role playing game. Mark Thompson Publisher Superhero: 2044 RPG .
Note: I did not remove any line breaks. That's how it appears on the page.

fake edit: haha holy poo poo are you loving kidding me?

quote:

• 275 numerically balanced playable characters allow instant game immersion.
  • Why does the defender make the 2d10 roll? The exact same result would come from the attacker rolling 2d10 and the defender adding 11 to the defending skill, which is used in some fashion in many games. This choice brings players into the game sequence when their character is being attacked. The attacking player makes the decision who to attack and with what, but the defending player has to make the roll that determines how successful the attack is. This helps keep players focused on the game even when their character is not acting.
  • Enemies have numbered attacks for randomized attacks. i.e. which attack and which hero to attack.
  • One of the objectives we wanted to achieve was to return to the days when RPGs were praised for teaching math and planning. We have made a fun and active way for all ages to use critical thinking and basic math.
  • Great game for all ages with any level of ADHD. All players and GM are active at all points either in team strategy, defense or group attacks.

real edit: there's no way he has permission for all that art.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

- pregens
- defense rolls
- random tables
- math

innovation in rpgs

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

aka things you shouldn't listen to from strange men in vans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kai Tave posted:

aka things you shouldn't listen to from strange men in vans.

Don't we.. oh yeah, there it is. :pedo:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure I could make that shirt with an online service for less than $89.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure I could make that shirt with an online service for less than $89.

But! You can't put in the passion! of COMICS! for that!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For real though, Kickstarters like this fascinate me. I always wonder what they think when their $100k super-project receives virtually no pledges, no comments, nothing. Do they just shrug and go "oh well, better luck next time?"

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy wall of text Batman!

e: Bareass Lady is my favorite superhero.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 17, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Has he not heard of any superhero games? At all?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Has he not heard of any superhero games? At all?

I mean the odds are pretty strong he hasn't heard of a lot of games. The only three he namedrops are D&D, I Can't Believe It's Not D&D, and Magic.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Dr. Philadelphia is a great name for a knockoff super guy. That's the silver lining I choose to see here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Does he have giant visible wang, and is it technicolor

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Dr. Philadelphia, incensed at the continued existence of other people, rearranges space and time to deposit a lantern battery into the brain of every man dressed as Santa Claus on the planet Earth. Reached for comment, one citizen of his namesake city commented "What kind of fruitcake names himself after this shithole?"

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I never expected to see the Zodiac Killer featured in a miniatures game, but here we are!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the characters is literally Marvel's Thor, name, backstory and all.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
750 bucks for 3 lovely sepia tone maps and 45 minis? thats almost games workshop level pricing :wth:

also loving lmbo at this bullet point

quote:

Great game for all ages with any level of ADHD. All players and GM are active at all points either in team strategy, defense or group attacks.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

HitTheTargets posted:

Dr. Philadelphia is a great name for a knockoff super guy. That's the silver lining I choose to see here.

Now I want to play a Mystery Men-level supers game as Professor Peoria.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mors Rattus posted:

Does he have giant visible wang, and is it technicolor
Dr. Philadelphia is entirely enclosed in a mask and spandex except for his giant rainbow-striped genitals.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pretty lovely of you guys to assume all doctors are men. Maybe Dr. Philadelphia has giant rainbow striped labia.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Crotch lapels, repel!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really should do an F&F of the original 2044. It was a terrible bad game. Like so bad, it made 1e Villains and Vigilantes look like perfection.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Other problems I've noticed:
  • When I first saw this I wasn't even sure he had the rights to Superhero: 2044. Apparently he does and he's even got Lou Zocchi (who was involved in the original) on as an advisor, but the pitch does not mention these basic facts. This is an advertising softball.
  • This game seems to be selling itself on having the rights to re-release ~the original Superhero RPG~, but the pitch is all about D&D and how he wants to make a game as popular as D&D.
  • You'd think people who play other superhero RPGs are potential backers, but other superhero games are only mentioned in the pitch to bad-mouth them like it's a failed niche he intends to revive:

quote:

I was looked at with a smidge of skepticism when I began discussing with people the possibility of doing an RPG based on comic books and super heroes. Basically it was like the movie Forrest Gump when Tom Hanks goes to buy a shrimp boat from an old mariner on the Gulf Coast- “ Is ya stupid or something?”.

quote:

Both major comic book publishing houses have had offerings by game developers over the years but each one had it’s flaws, critics, and detractors. If you are making game based on popular heroes you start out with certain disadvantages. Extremely powerful characters cannot be watered down or large corporations who make billions on T-shirt sale get nervous. Game mechanics and gameplay balance ne damned. The smaller companies without a major DC or Marvel license in hand seemed to give up on the visual demands of the comic book public right away. So lack of visuals in the comic book realm is sure death. Many of those games presume the creation of a compelling comic book universe from scratch. Good luck with that.
  • This is extra weird because the game is apparently written by Ross Payton, Steve Perrin, Jennifer Schoonover, and Wayne Shaw, who all have credits on other great superhero games. I would namedrop the gently caress out of these people. Instead they're only mentioned in the softcover book reward tier and two of them don't even get credits listed. Why is the pitch putting down other games instead?
  • The art team is also pretty good, and also only mentioned in the hardcover tier. It's the longest backer tier description by far, and most of it is misplaced promo. This is weird considering half the entire page is selling the game on the strength of its art.
  • The story the pitch tells is exaggerated at best. He says he "found" SH:2044 when he "began to look at older games" but in articles like the one I linked above the creator says SH:2044 is a childhood fave of his. This is a minor thing but what? :v:
  • This:

quote:

The result is a universe specifically generated FOR a game as opposed to a makeshift retrofit of popular characters into a game.
    is a hell of a thing to say when the first two adventures are Dracula and Arkham Asylum (it's literally called Arkham!), you namedrop Van Helsing and Cthulhu, and you're literally using Marvel's Thor.
  • The Photoshopped mockup art is kinda awkward, especially considering one of them is literally has a Marvel panel on it.
  • The Gameplay section is badly written ("Game play can be quick and simple, where you use the stats on the character profile to a multi-level game with in-depth rules and guidelines which include purchasing enhancements, equipment and vehicles." is a hell of a sentence), which would make me worried about the book's writing if I didn't look at the backer tiers.
  • The risks and challenges section's two paragraphs are "The hardest part... is looking this good!" and "we did a bunch of research into what the fans like and we're going to do a shitload of playtesting!". I know almost everybody just uses the "Risks and challenges" section to brag about themselves these days but come on.
  • Comic Sans.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really should do an F&F of the original 2044. It was a terrible bad game. Like so bad, it made 1e Villains and Vigilantes look like perfection.
SH2044 is almost unique among early RPGs in that I've never seen anyone show any enthusiasm or nostalgic fondness for it. Almost every other game of that era has a little fan following, or people willing to honk off about how much they enjoyed it even if in retrospect they admit it was terrible in a lot of ways. Villains and Vigilantes, original Tunnels & Trolls, Arduin, En Garde, Empire of the Petal Throne, old Judges Guild modules - they all have their defenders. But SH2044 might as well have been edited out of reality for all the impact it had. The only thing I vaguely remember about the game was that it focused on simulating the "going out on patrol" nature of 1960s-1970s comic stories with lots of encounter tables (unsurprising from a 1977 RPG) which I always thought was an interesting way to run a superhero RPG.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it turns out that the Thor panel isn't from the Marvel comic, but from the Charleton comics "Thor" character, who is actually in the public domain.

I mean, not that this matters because there's no way on God's green Earth this will fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FMguru posted:

SH2044 is almost unique among early RPGs in that I've never seen anyone show any enthusiasm or nostalgic fondness for it. Almost every other game of that era has a little fan following, or people willing to honk off about how much they enjoyed it even if in retrospect they admit it was terrible in a lot of ways. Villains and Vigilantes, original Tunnels & Trolls, Arduin, En Garde, Empire of the Petal Throne, old Judges Guild modules - they all have their defenders. But SH2044 might as well have been edited out of reality for all the impact it had. The only thing I vaguely remember about the game was that it focused on simulating the "going out on patrol" nature of 1960s-1970s comic stories with lots of encounter tables (unsurprising from a 1977 RPG) which I always thought was an interesting way to run a superhero RPG.

I've been seriously tempted to run an SA Forums game of En Garde! It's great fun as a casual pastime run in real time and I think I still have the moderation software somewhere - if I don't I can probably ask Pevans for it.