Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

HIJK posted:

I once read someone describing SJWism as right wing protestantism with a gay hat. This was very accurate.

that's brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Joss Whedon wants to gently caress Hillary CLinton dressed as Wonder Woman.

I would

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Let me share my opinion on femenisum in the Red Letter Media thread on Something Awful Dot Com.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

lmao

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HIJK posted:

I once read someone describing SJWism as right wing protestantism with a gay hat. This was very accurate.

I agree, no war but class war :anarchists:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Can we agree there are plenty of great sci-fy with some that aren't even set in space and that hardcore fans have a tendency to ruin the shows to new comers due to their evangelical zeal?

Joss has a pretty good record but he seems to do the best work under some of external restrain or adversity. He isn't that great if not terrible when given what is a near infinite budget as it lets the worse of him come through. Dollhouse sucked hard and LOL buffy with it's teenage BS.

Please enjoy what has to be one of the golden age of TV where can watch what you want, anywhere, any time, regardless of year of broadcast, on just about any device that can play video with recommendations tailored to your preferences.

Given this is one of the worse time-lines I can see what he is getting at.

From a science fiction perspective westworld and lost both sucked sorry.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

reignofevil posted:

Why

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Which would you prefer a long post about

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

neither

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is the right answer btw

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Paladinus posted:

Let me share my opinion on femenisum in the Red Letter Media thread on Something Awful Dot Com.

Sorry but as one of the most ignored users on the site you don't actually exist

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm not ignoring Paladinus every one of his opinions is precious to me.

As are all RLM posters. Yes even that one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Dr Horrible was bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the clue was in the name

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

We need Norm to get on BoTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Sorry but as one of the most ignored users on the site you don't actually exist

Don't gaslight me, please. I check Posting Gloryhole every day to keep my brittle ego from shattering. And I am not on the list!

reignofevil posted:

I'm not ignoring Paladinus every one of his opinions is precious to me.

As are all RLM posters. Yes even that one.

My opinion on feminism is that it's okay. Not all people who like feminism are okay, though. Thank you for listening.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reignofevil posted:

I will fight you on West World.

LOST on the other hand is something beyond endless trash. I don't know how people got suckered by that show but it was blatantly obvious the whole thing was poo poo thrown on a wall by monkeys from the first episode.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

thoughts and prayers posted:

nope

serious post, they're *exactly* like the fundie baptists I grew up with

circular logic:
- god answering prayers is proof, god not answering prayers is a test of your faith
- women feeling oppressed is proof, women not feeling oppressed is self oppression
check

double standards:
- when you do a bad thing it's satan, when I do I'm forgiven
- when you do a bad thing it's oppressive patriarchy, when I do it's striking back
check

I could go on

but that would be even more boring

that's some :chloe: poo poo right there

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Oohhboy I have the exact opposite feeling where from a tv-show perspective lost was really good except it was a good drama with light hearted moments and not a good science fiction. The end sucked to be sure.

Westworld on the other hand I think is pretty much entirely rote garbage.

Here is the beauty of it tho! I still think you are really fun and cool Oohhboy it is great that we have diverse opinions here because honestly none of it matters! :hfive:

Edit-

I hosed up your name when writing this and im man enough to admit it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lost was ok but it the end retroactively made the entire series a waste of time. a very commendable accomplishment

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

oohhboy posted:

I will fight you on West World.

LOST on the other hand is something beyond endless trash. I don't know how people got suckered by that show but it was blatantly obvious the whole thing was poo poo thrown on a wall by monkeys from the first episode.

Nah, LOST was something unique back then. It had genuine surprises and twists that are cliche now.
Sure it went to poo poo after season 2, but you were definitely wanting to see the next week to see what was the in the hatch or who was this new person that just turned up.

It did have a really loving terrible problem of people just not talking to each other.
If they just say down and each said what they saw or did that day to everyone they would have sorted out a lot of poo poo quicker.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

reignofevil posted:

gently caress you, Evil Yul Brynner Robot is great forever and always

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

firefly has dr who levels of being made for adult children of alcholics.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

westworld show is extremely overrated but the original movie is dope as hell

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
All TV is bad, same with movies and video games.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Schweinhund posted:

All TV is bad, same with movies and video games.

Life sucks

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
New RLM content is the only reason I'm still alive.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy posted:

Nah, LOST was something unique back then. It had genuine surprises and twists that are cliche now.
Sure it went to poo poo after season 2, but you were definitely wanting to see the next week to see what was the in the hatch or who was this new person that just turned up.

It did have a really loving terrible problem of people just not talking to each other.
If they just say down and each said what they saw or did that day to everyone they would have sorted out a lot of poo poo quicker.

It went to poo poo after season 2 for you because you realised how poo poo it was and how it was constantly baiting you promising that payoff that was never coming. The biggest reason for me as to why I rejected it from the first episode was that I could not come up with a satisfying solution to any of it seeing it for the BS it is. Forget having a unifying solution when you know you can't answer individual mysteries.

I mean, hell, I even watched Alias which was BS through and through but at least it wasn't up it's own rear end about it. Alias precessed LOST by 3 years. LOST was in no way unique or genuine in anyway other than the sheer level of awfulness.

I would take the unholy prequels over LOST any day.

reignofevil posted:

Westworld on the other hand I think is pretty much entirely rote garbage.

Even if you think the plot was rote garbage you cannot deny the excellent execution and master-class acting. It is not often you want a character to show up just so they can talk with other characters or just simply monologue. That mid season reveal had me going "HOLY poo poo".

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

dr who, farscape, firefly, all kinds of stargate. all these shows are trash you should be ashamed if you like them.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

oohhboy posted:

It went to poo poo after season 2 for you because you realised how poo poo it was and how it was constantly baiting you promising that payoff that was never coming. The biggest reason for me as to why I rejected it from the first episode was that I could not come up with a satisfying solution to any of it seeing it for the BS it is. Forget having a unifying solution when you know you can't answer individual mysteries.

I mean, hell, I even watched Alias which was BS through and through but at least it wasn't up it's own rear end about it. Alias precessed LOST by 3 years. LOST was in no way unique or genuine in anyway other than the sheer level of awfulness.

I would take the unholy prequels over LOST any day.

Even if you think the plot was rote garbage you cannot deny the excellent execution and master-class acting. It is not often you want a character to show up just so they can talk with other characters or just simply monologue. That mid season reveal had me going "HOLY poo poo".

having this long of an opinion about lost is a sign of serious mental illness. help is available for people like you, you don't have to live like this. with the right combination of treatment and medication doctors can help you live a productive and happy life.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yul Brynner was real good in Westworld

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ok i found a new youtube guy, i think i would consider him a RLm protege. in one video he mentions writing a school paper about his hero Mike Stoklasa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDUXXn4bn1M

lmao this kid is hilarious

"kickass summah extravaganzer"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
This thread had a really good run where people had reasonable conversations about movies. Looks like it's coming to a close alright everyone pack your bags lets just make a new home in CinD no loving difference. I'll meet some of yall in the black forum so we can talk about sexism and poo poo or something i dunno good luck

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oohhboy posted:

I'm glad the actors are working their hardest!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lol, but RLM says way more than just "I don't like thing" which is why we enjoy them so.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

I liked Lost. But I'm not in love with it anymore and it was pretty poo poo. It's like an ex.

You fall in love with it, you learn every little detail about it, you adore it and wonder when you're going to see it again. You're in love with it.
Then you start to notice its flaws but you give it the benefit of the doubt, you start making excuses for it, you tell yourself "it can't possibly get worse than this right" like it's all smooth sailing from here.
Finally you see it for what it is, you get sick just thinking about sticking it out with it to the bitter end, and you realize it's not going to change and really it's been like this since the beginning. You just wanted to enjoy your favorite TV show so badly you were willing to give all that time and energy when you knew they were manipulating you.
Later you can look back on the good moments and fun times you had, but it's always gonna be tainted by the sucky moments like when you realized Locke was just a puppet and the Dharma Initiative had dick all to do with anything. gently caress you Jacob. gently caress you Desmond. gently caress you Man In Black introduced at the last second piece of poo poo. Hurley's still cool. But gently caress the writers.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

vermin posted:

I liked Lost. But I'm not in love with it anymore and it was pretty poo poo. It's like an ex.

You fall in love with it, you learn every little detail about it, you adore it and wonder when you're going to see it again. You're in love with it.
Then you start to notice its flaws but you give it the benefit of the doubt, you start making excuses for it, you tell yourself "it can't possibly get worse than this right" like it's all smooth sailing from here.
Finally you see it for what it is, you get sick just thinking about sticking it out with it to the bitter end, and you realize it's not going to change and really it's been like this since the beginning. You just wanted to enjoy your favorite TV show so badly you were willing to give all that time and energy when you knew they were manipulating you.
Later you can look back on the good moments and fun times you had, but it's always gonna be tainted by the sucky moments like when you realized Locke was just a puppet and the Dharma Initiative had dick all to do with anything. gently caress you Jacob. gently caress you Desmond. gently caress you Man In Black introduced at the last second piece of poo poo. Hurley's still cool. But gently caress the writers.

1800 suicide hotline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

(oops)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 15, 2017

• Locked thread