Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I bet Jon jumps on a dragon's back to "defend" it against the wights and he somehow ends riding away on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

texaholic posted:

I bet Jon jumps on a dragon's back to "defend" it against the wights and he somehow ends riding away on it.
Yeah, it's going to be Rhaegal.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait the dragon that turns evil isn't the one named after viserys right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

Wife and I were discussing the lightning fast pacing when we watched last night, but the fact is there are just no locations left. We only have what, 4 locations? Sam just left oldtown so we can assume he's heading to winterfell. Once Jon reunites with Dany after heading north we will be down to 3. Once Dany decides to head north to fight the WW we'll be down to 2 major locations, north and south. IMO they are still actually stretching with extra battles and such. Yeah they are fun to watch but there's not much story to advance. Fighting the WW, Jon's parentage, dealing with Cersei. Are there any other major plot points left? It's not surprising it feels fast.

I hope it ends like the new WHAS and just has a 20 minute montage of everyone doing great.

I wonder if it's going to slow down like crazy next season because there's so few plots left.

I'm starting to think the North is going to fall completely, which would be an interesting final season I suppose. Maybe the heroes have to abandon Winterfell.

It'd be real dumb if the dead get through the Wall and then continue their glacial pace like they have for the last 7 seasons, and season 8 is just "We must act now!" over and over again until the last episode when they finally have one big battle that solves everything.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
My big dumb theory

- Viserion is going to catch an ice spear in the eye and comes back with one blue eye as the Night's King's mount
- Everyone marches against the dead, get their poo poo kicked in etc and all the survivors flee to Dragonstone
- King's Landing falls, Cersei becomes some kind of ice queen

Series will rap up after seeing Gendry poo poo out Valyrian steel (dragon fire+steel+obsidian). Nymeria and her wolves + Ghost will kill the ice dragon, Ghost dies but somehow goes into Viserion, dragon comes back to life with one red eye. Jon Snow gets his white, ice dragon.

Yadda yadda yadda after almost all major houses are wiped out by the dead, War for the Dawn is fought. Good guys win, cut to image of Jon looking out on the horizon while people behind him rebuild.

After the series ends, Martin will miraculously crank out BOTH books in one year but it will turn out that he just plagiarized the plots of the last two seasons. Then he dies.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I do like that Gilly discovering the marriage certificate is the second time they've done the whole "Illiterate being taught to read discovers something in a text" after Davos did the same thing back in season 3.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I'm starting to think the North is going to fall completely, which would be an interesting final season I suppose. Maybe the heroes have to abandon Winterfell.

nah, Sansa stated pretty bluntly that everybody will fall back to Winterfell so that's where the boss fight will be. The Night King will manage to get inside the walls where Jon will kill him, while defending Dany, and then the zombie army immediately dies with its king just as everything seems lost. Brienne dies defending the Stark kids. Cersei then sets her cunning plan into motion, betraying everybody and killing a few likable good guys like Jorah and Davos. The next episode our heroes scramble to regain their footing which will be followed by the show finale with the final battle at KL. So it is written.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bates posted:

nah, Sansa stated pretty bluntly that everybody will fall back to Winterfell so that's where the boss fight will be. The Night King will manage to get inside the walls where Jon will kill him, while defending Dany, and then the zombie army immediately dies with its king just as everything seems lost. Brienne dies defending the Stark kids. Cersei then sets her cunning plan into motion, betraying everybody and killing a few likable good guys like Jorah and Davos. The next episode our heroes scramble to regain their footing which will be followed by the show finale with the final battle at KL. So it is written.

You're probably right, it just seems anticlimactic to do it that way.

Like, they have a Ragnarok level battle to defeat the ancient evil whose coming has been prophesied for centuries to the point of there being a humongous gently caress-off wall constantly manned for millennia. Then it's time for the final challenge: the crazy, drunk, incest-loving not-really-queen who everyone hates even her allies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I would be happy if they pulled a wild misdirection and had her abdocate and live a humble life with Jaime for the sake of her incest baby just so this pap isn't entirely paint-by-numbers.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Way back in S1 or 2 they possibly foreshadowed a rising of the dead of the catacombs under KL. I'm hopin' for that. Bunch of dead king bones and poo poo.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

PostNouveau posted:

Like, they have a Ragnarok level battle to defeat the ancient evil whose coming has been prophesied for centuries to the point of there being a humongous gently caress-off wall constantly manned for millennia. Then it's time for the final challenge: the crazy, drunk, incest-loving not-really-queen who everyone hates even her allies.

That humans can be incredibly lovely and self destructive is a long running theme in this series.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I would be happy if they pulled a wild misdirection and had her abdocate and live a humble life with Jaime for the sake of her incest baby just so this pap isn't entirely paint-by-numbers.

She miscarries soon

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

PostNouveau posted:

Given that we know that Dany/Jon are moving troops to face the Night King at the end of season 7 it's obvious that the White Walkers will be the first issue dealt with in season 8 - after that the remaining troops will have to face Ceuron and the Golden Company.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Soul Glo posted:

She miscarries soon

her poison womb and assassinated/suicided offspring are making the seven heavens too crowded

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

grack posted:

-We get a shot of Dany arguing with her advisors at Dragonstone about their next step. Finally Daenerys puts a stop to the argument and says that she's making a decision as their Queen and orders Chinese, even though Tyrion and Varys wanted Thai.

Maybe it's because I hate Dany but this is making me lol

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't even know which of the dragons is Viserion and which one is Rhaegal. Does one of them have a gold spot on their head?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Haven't read the spoilers or anything but here's my hot take on which of our Seven Lads are making it back alive;

Live list

- Jon, obviously
- The Hound, too good an actor, Cleganebowl hasn't happened, his arc doesn't feel done to me
- Tormund, who else could represent the wildlings at this point?

Dead list

- Gendry, I like him but it's so weird that they bought him back so late, he has no more role in the plot and this feels like a way to tie up loose ends and give a low key fan favourite a nice end. Of all of them I want Gendry back most but yeah he's probably gonna die.
- Thoros, eh, he feels like the third man to Sandor and Beric and peeps gotta die
- Beric, that shot of him with the flaming sword looks like a last stand to me, and his role seems to be helping Sandor along his redemption arc
- Jorah, there really doesn't seem much more point to him plotwise, this feels like a nicer end for him than 'and then he died of greyscale somewhere lol'

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Not to be a jerk, but in a spoiler thread where we all know what is going to happen, I doubt too many people are interested in your predictions.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

She miscarries soon

Euron gets pissed that he can't marry Cersei, so he teleports into her womb and aborts

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

still bums me out how dumb the mountain's armor looks compared to the book.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

RCarr posted:

Not to be a jerk, but in a spoiler thread where we all know what is going to happen, I doubt too many people are interested in your predictions.

Yeah the spoiler thread is in a weird place right now where people often post what they think is going to happen... even though we know. Might be denial that they don't belong here anymore.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I really don't want gender to forge valerian steel

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

skasion posted:

Tbf Davos' actual son got blown the gently caress up back in S2 and he's completely over it, he was 100% chill with Tyrion and even joked about that time you blew up my child. So clearly being like a son to Davos doesn't amount to much.
This actually stuck out to me. I remember the characters being human and emotional and relatable on this show once upon a time. I still remember the grief of Davos losing his son. But now everyone's just like a schlock caricature intent on moving a plot along so he's just like "hah-hah, remember when you gave my son an agonizing death?"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"The Big Spoilers" aren't in the last 5 pages or the OP. Repost 'em or people are going to keep adding their Predictions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

I really don't want gender to forge valerian steel

It's the most obvious and cliche'd thing possible though, so thus it's absolutely going to happen. Hell, I bet they do the thing and have Sam explain the process while Gendry examines Heartsbane, and then looks up at the camera and says "Nothing tricky about it, just need good steel."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

still bums me out how dumb the mountain's armor looks compared to the book.

and everyone should be wearing gigantic helmets representative of their house sigils

*roberts 8 ft wide stag horns get tapped by a sword in battle*
*leverage breaks his neck instantly*
*westeros lives happily ever after under the mad king*

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"The Big Spoilers" aren't in the... the OP.

Yeah they are.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I can't find anything detailing the fate of each member of the ranging party. Am I missing it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I can't find anything detailing the fate of each member of the ranging party. Am I missing it?

I think they all live except for Beric and/or Thoros? I don't remember

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

RCarr posted:

in a spoiler thread where we all know what is going to happen, I doubt too many people are interested in your predictions.

Fixed

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

I think they all live except for Beric and/or Thoros? I don't remember

Thoros gets killed by a wight bear and Jon falls mortally wounded but Beric spends his last life to rez him

So yeah Beric and Thoros die everyone else makes it out on Drogon, Jon falls off but Benjen rides in to save the day, gives Jon his horse then occupies/dies to cover his escape

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Viserion is slain by an ice spear from the NK and falls into a frozen lake, White Walkers pull him out with chains and he gets reanimated by the NK

It says the wall is breached or falls somehow but doesnt go into detail on this. Nobody knows if the whole thing comes down, they make a small hole, break through a gate or what

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Viserion fire-blasts a small hole in the wall. On the Eastwatch side, the Night's King sticks his upper torso through, does a big sweeping gesture with his arm, and says to the camera,

"Th-Th-Th-That's All, Folks!"

End season.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

All of this happens because they get trapped and surrounded by the army of the dead on a frozen lake, I dont know if they sent Gendry with his SOS raven yet or if this is when they do it but Dany arrives with all 3 dragons and wrecks shop

But the Hound does manage to capture a foot soldier and smuggle it out on Drogon lol

They all hop on him in a hot extraction but Jon falls off

Hexel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 15, 2017

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

and all of this poo poo happens NEXT WEEK 71 minutes woo :parrot:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Viserion fire-blasts a small hole in the wall. On the Eastwatch side, the Night's King sticks his upper torso through, does a big sweeping gesture with his arm, and says to the camera,

"Th-Th-Th-That's All, Folks!"

End season.

That is, essentially, what happens.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think people are starting to think elsewhere that the Wall isn't necessarily built by humans to keep white walkers out, but the reverse and/or it represents some sort of pact between the two in a previous conflict.

In any case, there are tunnels through the wall. Does that mean some nerd with a pickaxe can just dig his way through the wall? If not, does it require something else to put a hole? The hole we see in the big night's watch fight scene is very smooth, and presumably old enough that dragons could have been around when they made it. Maybe only dragonfire can cut through the wall, meaning the dragon the NK resurrects will need to burn a hole through it.

Great job Dany, the realm probably would have been better off if you hadn't done anything at all. Again.

e: I personally think the WWs made the wall and Bran the Builder is some bullshit-- he probably just built the stupid idiot keeps and elevators, and the horn book-Mance claims to have isn't the real one and the WWs are in possession of the only real one in case humans decide to start settling north again so the book-wall will come down from the horn.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 15, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jokes posted:

e: I personally think the WWs made the wall and Bran the Builder is some bullshit-- he probably just built the stupid idiot keeps and elevators, and the horn book-Mance claims to have isn't the real one and the WWs are in possession of the only real one in case humans decide to start settling north again so the book-wall will come down from the horn.

Wasn't there an implication somewhere that the wall was actually built to protect the WWs from humanity, not the other way around?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jokes posted:

In any case, there are tunnels through the wall. Does that mean some nerd with a pickaxe can just dig his way through the wall? If not, does it require something else to put a hole? The hole we see in the big night's watch fight scene is very smooth, and presumably old enough that dragons could have been around when they made it. Maybe only dragonfire can cut through the wall, meaning the dragon the NK resurrects will need to burn a hole through it.

The Wall is magic, there's more to its barrier than its physical presence. This is why the Walkers couldn't tunnel under or sail around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Wasn't there an implication somewhere that the wall was actually built to protect the WWs from humanity, not the other way around?

It does a horrible job, then, considering the wall has magic bullshit that keeps the walkers and wights from crossing of their own will but does nothing to prevent humans from going through, over or around it.

• Locked thread