Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'm the security question that's easy to look up, is based on preference so it's easy to forget, or requires information even more private than the account being secured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yes hello, please preserve for one thpusand years this 1tb hdd with millions of copies of hello.jpg

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

communism bitch posted:

Yes hello, please preserve for one thpusand years this 1tb hdd with millions of copies of hello.jpg

I'm going to make a legacy for myself where the FBI and all them will want to get access to all my private files, only to see nothing but hello.jpg as every file on the disk

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

communism bitch posted:

speaking of which i guess i should get started on yosmas this year

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Migishu posted:

I'm going to make a legacy for myself where the FBI and all them will want to get access to all my private files, only to see nothing but hello.jpg as every file on the disk

if only there was a way to erase a hard drive by filling it up with goatse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

if only there was a way to erase a hard drive by filling it up with goatse

my man have you heard of the dd command

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Migishu posted:

steganographically encode blue waffle into one of them.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ate all the Oreos posted:

Is that the free boobs command?!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

pre:
dd if=/dev/👻 of=/dev/sdX bs=4096

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
dd only supports copying goatse into a ring buffer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Meat Beat Agent posted:

:golfclap:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

flakeloaf posted:

speaking of which i guess i should get started on yosmas this year

shouldn't take you that long to stretch it out that much

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - dd only supports copying goatse into a ring buffer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Migishu posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - dd only supports copying goatse into a ring buffer

ehhhh, no security content, 6/10

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Subjunctive posted:

ehhhh, no security content, 6/10

yeah it's a bit of a stretch isn't it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Meat Beat Agent posted:

idk clicking risky links is still a gaping security hole

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Meat Beat Agent posted:

lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Migishu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzAuXuxD0Oo

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

anyone here ever use a yubikey before? kind of wanted one but i saw that 1password doesn't support it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Acer Pilot posted:

anyone here ever use a yubikey before? kind of wanted one but i saw that 1password doesn't support it.

all the time, U2F is the best flavor of 2FA on the web, and you can use it as an ssh key too

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

all the time, U2F is the best flavor of 2FA on the web, and you can use it as an ssh key too

it seems pretty neat but it looks like you need some adapter to make it work on an ipad. i guess i could use it for actual non-reading-facebook-while-you-poop stuff though.

not sure what version i'd want though. the one with nfc looks like what i'd want but it seems "older" than the 4th gen if that means anything. e: wait is it just the 4th gen with nfc?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 16, 2017

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Acer Pilot posted:

it seems pretty neat but it looks like you need some adapter to make it work on an ipad. i guess i could use it for actual non-reading-facebook-while-you-poop stuff though.

not sure what version i'd want though. the one with nfc looks like what i'd want but it seems "older" than the 4th gen if that means anything. e: wait is it just the 4th gen with nfc?

correct, yubikey neo is older than the yubikey 4

yubikey neo supports nfc, if the device does too (not sure about idevices, their nfc stuff is pretty locked down)
yubikey 4 does not support nfc, but it does support larger gpg key sizes & touch-to-sign, both of which are good if you are using it as an ssh key

if you only care about u2f, and you do want nfc, get a neo (but make sure your device supports nfc)
if you don't care about nfc, get one of the blue yubikeys for half the price that only support u2f

ozymandOS fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 16, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yubikey 4 also comes in usb-c for some reason

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Acer Pilot posted:

yeah you can't use it with an ipad, but all the stuff i u2f with has totp too

i don't have the nfc features because it seems useless

anthonypants posted:

yubikey 4 also comes in usb-c for some reason

some computers only come in usb-c

i use some cheap usb-a to usb-c adapters that, just like the yubikey, have survived the wash several times

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

ok, thanks goons. I guess I'll next day a 4 on Amazon. let's see how long it takes for me to lock myself out of everything

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nice slip-up

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/897796042317594624

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/world/europe/russia-ukraine-malware-hacking-witness.html

quote:

Intriguingly, in the cyberattack during the Ukrainian election, what appears to have been a bungle by Channel 1, a Russian state television station, inadvertently implicated the government authorities in Moscow.

Hackers had loaded onto a Ukrainian election commission server a graphic mimicking the page for displaying results. This phony page showed a shocker of an outcome: an election win for a fiercely anti-Russian, ultraright candidate, Dmytro Yarosh. Mr. Yarosh in reality received less than 1 percent of the vote.

The false result would have played into a Russian propaganda narrative that Ukraine today is ruled by hard-right, even fascist, figures.

The fake image was programmed to display when polls closed, at 8 p.m., but a Ukrainian cybersecurity company, InfoSafe, discovered it just minutes earlier and unplugged the server.

State television in Russia nevertheless reported that Mr. Yarosh had won and broadcast the fake graphic, citing the election commission’s website, even though the image had never appeared there. The hacker had clearly provided Channel 1 with the same image in advance, but the reporters had failed to check that the hack actually worked.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol guess we know who the real hacks are

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Came here to post this

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
idgi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pwned with whitehat intentions

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Any plans for some more bletchley boffinry any time soon? I want my drat gang tag!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ask ahmeni he's had 8 months head start

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

it's just an audit bro

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

fins posted:

Any plans for some more bletchley boffinry any time soon? I want my drat gang tag!

I've been busy as gently caress for a while. When I have free time again I'll put one together. If someone wants to organise one let me know beforehand and I may give my blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

• Locked thread