Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Actually, that's probably true.

From everything I've read on him, Lee was a surprisingly moderate confederate, the only slaves he owned were, iirc, inherited from a relative (his uncle?), even though he never freed them, he didn't like, go out of his way to have a bigass plantation, and he certainly didn't want to be seen as an emblem for The Lost Cause.

Him being used as a symbol today speaks more to an attempt to rewrite history to favor white southerners, than anything else.

the man owned slaves and thought slavery was good for blacks. even if he wasn't super pro slavery he would have been 100% fine with the idea blacks were inferior to whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

That doesn't make it factually incorrect, just maybe misleading. What percentage of Civil War monuments are about the Confederacy is a better question?

sorry bro, it's factually incorrect

CommieGIR posted:

Both the article and the Database you linked highlight that they are specifically focused on Civil War monuments.

yes, civil war markers, north and south. literally just a sign that says "a thing happened here". you can't easily distinguish between the two and it's bigly disingenous to say "these are confederate memorials"

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The densest concentration of markers on the map is along Sherman's route into Georgia, heading toward Atlanta. It's definitely more complex than just "here's a map of racist statues."

and this is because in the 1950's georgia put up a shitload of these markers. they're all over atlanta and they're often like "so and so and his brigade attacked such and such's troops here on july 15 1864"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 15, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

From everything I've read on him, Lee was a surprisingly moderate confederate, the only slaves he owned were, iirc, inherited from a relative (his uncle?), even though he never freed them, he didn't like, go out of his way to have a bigass plantation, and he certainly didn't want to be seen as an emblem for The Lost Cause.

Him being used as a symbol today speaks more to an attempt to rewrite history to favor white southerners, than anything else.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2013/06/30/Confederates-slave-hunt-in-North-a-military-disgrace/stories/201306300221

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is no good outcome here. The Democratic candidate is a dark horse African American named Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who nobody had heard of before this cycle.

Republican political machines in southern states have a history of running spoiler African-american candidates in Democratic primaries to throw off any possible opposition before the general race -- see Alvin Greene -- and I suspect that's what happened here too.

the democrats absolutely believe that moore is the best chance they have to get an upset victory, he has a strong base of support but by far the lowest ceiling of any of them

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

axeil posted:

Who should we root for if we want an improbable Dem pickup? I.e., who is the weakest candidate?

As usual, FiveThirtyEight has a good rundown.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-to-watch-for-in-tonights-alabama-senate-primaries/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

sorry bro, it's factually incorrect

yes, civil war markers, north and south. literally just a sign that says "a thing happened here". you can't easily distinguish between the two and it's bigly disingenous to say "these are confederate memorials"

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/whoseheritage_splc.pdf

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Fucis: uAW!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yes this chart has nothing to do with the map posted and even if it did you wouldn't be using it correctly. i even linked the source slate article just for you, you can read it yourself and discover on your own terms how the tweet misrepresents the article it cites

please realize here that you are completely wrong in defending this bad tweet and the more you dig in your heels the more embarassing it becomes for you

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Just to clarify: He inherited his father-in-law's slaves. The FiL's written will stated that his slaves should be freed at the time of his death, but Lee went to court to keep them enslaved.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

moostaffa posted:

I feel like I should repeat some quotes about this guy, because he is scary as gently caress, and not at a larper like the 4chan wehraboos:

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/896927612009840640
Maddow had an interesting bit last night about the number of armed robberies and poo poo that white supremacists have committed in the last couple/few decades. It's kind of astounding how much poo poo they do, and how little most of the authorities seem to really respond.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

According to my state capitol's scheduling board we have a "Rally Against Political Violence", which is the same name as the rally by all the weirdo internet trolls. But I can't find any information about it anywhere else.

Organizing is hard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

yes this chart has nothing to do with the map posted and even if it did you wouldn't be using it correctly. i even linked the source slate article just for you, you can read it yourself and discover on your own terms how the tweet misrepresents the article it cites

please realize here that you are completely wrong in defending this bad tweet and the more you dig in your heels the more embarassing it becomes for you

Whatever dude.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Moore, who is expected to place first. The question is if he can get to 50%, and if not, if Brooks or Strange place second.

The democratic primary has a separate problem: there's a strong candidate who has endorsements from everyone relevant, and a guy nobody really knows anything about named "Robert Kennedy"

The fact the other guy's name is "Robert Kennedy" is believed to be the reason he placed first in the only poll of the democratic primary that was taken.

Well poo poo :smith:

So hope is a lie in Alabama then?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

robert lee owned slaves and betrayed his country to fight a treasonous war to preserve slavery, he was Not One Of The Good Ones

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Ohio has a massive loving cultural problem that is the result of a complicated set of interwoven circumstances. To simplify greatly Ohio cities all grew into one trick ponies that all serviced a particular industry and almost nothing else (Youngstown did Steel, Akron/Barberton did Rubber, Toledo did glass, etc etc. The jobs that resulted from this were largely the sort of manufacturing jobs that make it nearly impossible to be involved in any practical level with your family, leading to the average Ohio parent having little involvement with their children/families lives. (When these industries collapsed nothing rose to replace them except despair.)

Exacerbating this problem is the fact that more than any other population center Ohio has been constructed in its entirety with the assumption that every single resident will have a car. (In the 50's-60's there was a widely lauded effort in many parts of the state to remove public transportation as a way of forcing car ownership. The entire state has no public transport to speak of while at the same time being a wasteland of gigantic empty parking lots and no sidewalks to get around anywhere. This has resulted in making it financially prohibitive for the average Ohoian to maintain meaningful social relationships because ever since the early 2000's very few Ohioans can afford the gas to travel to social engagements. (Not an exaggeration).

As a result the social culture in Ohio has long been toxic as gently caress and getting worse every year and as one would expect in this situation; has resulted in a multi-decade brain drain, as being an intellectual in Ohio is a lonely road of destitution and endless social isolation. In point of fact the brain drain has been so dramatic that in the 2010 census Ohio lost two Congressional seats. There was actually enough of a disapora of Ohioans fleeing the state during the great recession that it resulted in some cultural pushback from the cities that suddenly found themselves swamped in socially dysfunctional Ohions. For example you have this article from 2007 about a South Carolina website that urges Ohions to "go back to Ohio".

(Italics in original)

A friend of mine who lives in Akron recently remarked to me that "there's nothing but the dumb greedy ones left running everything". He said it without a hint of irony or humor in his voice.

As an Ohioan (originally from and living in Youngstown no less) this is a pretty good rundown.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
also http://www.facebook.com/RoseCityAntifa if you're in the PNW

evilweasel posted:

robert lee owned slaves and betrayed his country to fight a treasonous war to preserve slavery, he was Not One Of The Good Ones
Seriously, as I said before, calm the gently caress down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

He also openly allowed his troops to claim both escaped slaves and non-slave black families to send back to the Confederacy.

He was as much a Confederate as the rest of them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

coyo7e posted:

The myth of Robert e Lee is the way the grey coats kept their racist heritage alive

gently caress him

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

As an Ohioan- Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland are doing alright.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

empty whippet box posted:

What's the result we're hoping for with this primary exactly?

Write in vote for "disband the party"?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lee also had his army kidnap free Blacks and shipped them down South when he invaded the North.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Whatever dude.

i realize admitting you're wrong is difficult but it's better to just not post than keep trying to dig yourself out of a hole

the tweet is bad and misrepresents the both the article it's based on and the data underlying that article. i provided you with both of those things. i can't force you to learn even after i provide you with the means to do so

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Well poo poo :smith:

So hope is a lie in Alabama then?

I mean, it's pretty likely that the good candidate managed to get his name out there enough to beat the random guy with a misleading name. And if he didn't I dunno how good a candidate he actually would have been. And there could easily be a runoff between the two of them which would help with the name recognition problem as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

the democrats absolutely believe that moore is the best chance they have to get an upset victory, he has a strong base of support but by far the lowest ceiling of any of them

Yeah they think that but we just saw how well that works. It's gonna end up Moore vs. Kennedy and Moore will win when Kennedy self sabotages or drops out.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Seriously, as I said before, calm the gently caress down.

shut up idiot

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

the black husserl posted:

The dump trucks are there to prevent a car bombing and I'm really glad of it, cause it would really be lovely if a car bomb went off in NYC.

Not sure why they're tripping people out.
Because liberal explosive device attacks have been such a huge problem post Weather Underground.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Yeah they think that but we just saw how well that works. It's gonna end up Moore vs. Kennedy and Moore will win when Kennedy self sabotages or drops out.

Moore will be defeated by surprise third party last minute entry chaos reigns fox.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

i can't force you to learn even after i provide you with the means to do so

Kindly gently caress off Boner Confessor. Regardless of the issues with the tweet, the overall message was correct: Civil War monuments increased in number as Civil Rights became more of an issue, and especially Confederate ones.

The message is correct, if miss-cited: White-Washing the Confederacy and the Civil War was a matter of combating Civil Rights and enforcing a mythos around the Civil War and the South.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Lote posted:

Honestly, I thought that one arm of the swastika was bending over to suck itself. I am bad at parody.

The entandres keep multiplying

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If Kennedy wins the Democratic primary then yeah, it's not winnable, but you're acting like it's a forgone conclusion he will win and that poll that had Kennedy in first also had him well below 50%, meaning a runoff - and if turnout is as low as reported you'd expect it would be the democrats turning out who know which candidate is which

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Covok posted:

So, is there any sign the backlash is continuing? My main question for asking is that we live in a news cycle that only last so long before being replaced. I'm worried that we might be reaching the end of this particular cycle. My issue with that is this is so hosed up this shouldn't be a cycle. A woman loving died to Nazis and I'm afraid we're reaching that point where centrist and liberals try to pretend that everything's fine and they can not care anymore. That they did their part and they liked that thing on Facebook and racism is over and they can move on to their favorite TV show again.

Any sign that this is different?

FWIW I think this is very different.

Within the context of my work Narrativism is what I call a "Self Replicating Behaviour Pattern", and is one of four such patterns I have recognized and (tried to) describe. It is my contention that human culture exists with a complicated ecosystem of thousands of interacting Self Replicating Behavior Patterns, and I believe the widespread awakening we are currently witnessing to be the result of an as yet unrecognized SRBP.

I presently lack any terms or frameworks to describe what is happening because it falls well outside my present body of work, but I am 100% this is not a cycle that will simply fade away. This is the start of something else entirely.

What is going on within America right now is somewhat akin to a modern Pearl Harbor in terms of how it is snapping Americans out of their trance and causing them to turn in unison against a serious threat.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've lived in rural Ohio for 32 years, AMA.

note: I don't know anything, I grew up in rural Ohio.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Feinne posted:

Moore will be defeated by surprise third party last minute entry chaos reigns fox.

Seriouspost but Congress should, in an ideal world, refuse to allow Moore to sit. He's been expelled from office twice for ethical reasons. He's not fit to to serve.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

If Kennedy wins the Democratic primary then yeah, it's not winnable, but you're acting like it's a forgone conclusion he will win and that poll that had Kennedy in first also had him well below 50%, meaning a runoff - and if turnout is as low as reported you'd expect it would be the democrats turning out who know which candidate is which

Let's hope. I get very cynical about this sort of thing ever since there was all that mathematical analysis that showed there was almost certainly vote tampering in the Alvin Greene election.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

The 538 article also pointed out that the actual dude with experience is now polling ahead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah but the current bunch of racist assholes is mostly average to well educated white males, not the poor ones. Im just trying to remember that quote about education being one of the best ways to combat ignorance and figure out why its so wrong this time.

Because education isn't just math, science* and reading. Education is about indoctrination, good or bad. Texas Republicans famously explicitly opposed teaching critical thinking skills because it might make kids question what their parents tell them.

You can get AP English, AP Chemistry and AP American History in high school and still be indoctrinated in a conservative worldview. I remember my AP Government teacher making us learn about the "Gray Panthers" while only teaching us about the Black Panthers as a racist terrorist group. I remember getting a 0 on a persuasive paper because I argued for socialism and the only justification given was "the paper had no voice." This was in a public school in one of the more liberal metropolitan areas in the country.

So why are we seeing so many middle class white racists act out now? They've always been there, but they've also been taught by their schools, their churches, their families and their community that they deserve so much from the world. They learned that any successes of theirs are because of their goodness as a person and any failures are because a lesser person took it from them. As the idiotic** saying goes, "you're either a shark or a fish" and they all want to be sharks because if they're not sharks than The Other will be the shark instead.

*excludes teaching actual biology, physics or any science that might disagree with evangelical beliefs.

**Yes, sharks are fish. See what I said about not teaching actual biology.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Seriouspost but Congress should, in an ideal world, refuse to allow Moore to sit. He's been expelled from office twice for ethical reasons. He's not fit to to serve.

The general precedent for this sort of thing is that felons and other people are allowed to take their seat if their conviction happened before the vote: the voters knew what they were electing and elected him anyway. But someone who commits a crime in office (or has it disclosed in office) is expelled.

I think that's a sensible way to approach it, and it would strongly suggest Moore be allowed to take his seat (not least: he's not being elected to a judgeship again and the reasons he was expelled from the judiciary twice do not translate as disqualifications for legislators).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol: They sat the guy who body slammed a reporter

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mahoning posted:

As an Ohioan (originally from and living in Youngstown no less) this is a pretty good rundown.

As an Ohioan with ties in Youngstown who now lives in Detroit... sigh... yeah it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Dietrich posted:

As an Ohioan- Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland are doing alright.

And the rest of it is a desolate wasteland from what I've seen in the few times a year I have to leave Columbus.

• Locked thread