Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

HannibalBarca posted:

I tend to assume mediocrity.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Chieves posted:

It's not like this is the first time the Aztecs have been susceptible to disease

This is good; I like this

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I can't loving wait for football to start

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Seaniqua posted:

I can't loving wait for football to start

Same. It's nice to have hope about Tulane making a bowl though.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/_lj18_/status/897085237917888513

going to EMCC

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Grittybeard posted:

Unrelated to college football but you're a doctor and all of the Mumps outbreaks in hockey over the last few years have puzzled me. Did those guys just not get MMR vaccines or are they susceptible to breaking down after a while? Or susceptible to like, being bombarded by a bunch of other dudes you're sharing a locker room with who have mumps?

This actually made me go to a computer instead of phone postin...

Vaccines work on an individual,but for it to be 100% effective, we rely on whats called herd immunity. The idea is that if we vaccinate everyone, we eliminate the medium by which the virus propagates. To establish this herd immunity, it is thought that 95% of a population be vaccinated. This was the norm for many years, but then the Jenny McCarthyism took over and now we have parents thinking for NO REASON WHATSOFUCKING EVER that vaccines cause autism and would rather their child die than be autistic so they don't get vaccinated. So now, the virus is more rampant and the failure in the vaccine rate is increasing, because the success in vaccine rates is related to how many people actually get it. Its so loving stupid that many health care providers have shifted to the point where they view a refusal outside of a valid medical reason to vaccinate is tantamount to child abuse. I am in line with this thinking, and it might be the only way the US overcomes its vaccination problems.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

swickles posted:

Vaccines work on an individual,but for it to be 100% effective, we rely on whats called herd immunity. The idea is that if we vaccinate everyone, we eliminate the medium by which the virus propagates. To establish this herd immunity, it is thought that 95% of a population be vaccinated. This was the norm for many years, but then the Jenny McCarthyism took over and now we have parents thinking for NO REASON WHATSOFUCKING EVER that vaccines cause autism and would rather their child die than be autistic so they don't get vaccinated. So now, the virus is more rampant and the failure in the vaccine rate is increasing, because the success in vaccine rates is related to how many people actually get it. Its so loving stupid that many health care providers have shifted to the point where they view a refusal outside of a valid medical reason to vaccinate is tantamount to child abuse. I am in line with this thinking, and it might be the only way the US overcomes its vaccination problems.

...Okay so did these guys not have vaccines or are they ineffective after a while or what?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chicken pox vaccine probably isn't required for all states, it it? (edit: it is) Or may not have been in the early 2000s anyway. I'm only 29 and never got one (I don't think it existed yet, or wasn't in wide use), just earned my immunity the old-fashioned way.

edit: So I guess the question is when most states made it mandatory. It was added to the CDC immunization schedule in 1995, but the states aren't beholden to that are they?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 15, 2017

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Auburn vs Arkansas state is on the sec network. I forgot they were up 21-7 and ran a fake field goal. Of course the very next week they got slapped around by Aggie.

I am ready for this season to renew my hatred

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

wa27 posted:

...Okay so did these guys not have vaccines or are they ineffective after a while or what?

It appears that effectiveness does wane over time. But the effectiveness wanes slowly.

Last year Mizzou had a breakout in Frat Row because Frats are filled with disgusting dirty people. If I remember what student health said it was that the MMR vaccine is not 100% effective because nothing is 100% effective. And out of Measles Mumps and whatever R is, the mumps part is the least effective. Two treatments is only something like 86% effective. Well, when everyone has it that 86% effectiveness is pretty great. But when everyone is sharing drinks and poo poo (and some people don't have it or straight up forge vaccination records*) an outbreak can get in a population and stay in it because math.

People with the vaccine are nine times less likely to contract mumps than someone unvaccinated. But the fallacy most people make is in believing the vaccine makes it impossible to contract.

*I know that sounds crazy, but I have had someone confess to me that they lied about already having the vaccine.

Edit: changed Greek to Frat so it didn't sound like I was a Nazi.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 15, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently in UGA's camp, the defense has totally been owning the offense. If our offense is like last year, it doesn't surprise me at all.

2014 Georgia averaged 41 points a game. This team might hit 41 once this season (Samford).

Hot drat, I miss being good at offense. And to think people complained. To think.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

wa27 posted:

I like that he wrote the words in the clearest possible way and you still didn't understand.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Fluffdaddy posted:

Auburn vs Arkansas state is on the sec network. I forgot they were up 21-7 and ran a fake field goal.

Arkansas State will give Nebraska their first loss this season and Lincoln will self-destruct.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 15, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Vaccines lose efficacy over time but because of herd immunity you rarely see breakouts because between the young and the old it can't establish a foothold and spread. However, if someone that never got vaccinated for whatever reason got it and then was all in and around people who got the vaccine 20 years ago then yea, something might happen.

Vaccinated adults don't get something like chickenpox out of the blue essentially. Vaccinated adults in constant close contact with someone who has chickenpox might, though.

The notion of that seemingly permanent immunity is kind of false. Everyone typically needs a booster or two for this as they age. Usually, though, provided you don't work with the sick, young, or elderly on a consistent basis you can typically avoid these boosters but people like teachers, nurses, etc. should be getting boosters and staying on top of their schedule.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 15, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate when people tweet a picture of text but hate it more when they don't take the time to clean out the Word squiggles

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

I like that he wrote the words in the clearest possible way and you still didn't understand.

He said vaccines work on an individual so I didn't see how a given person could get it when they've had the vaccine.

The effectiveness waning 20 years later makes sense though, thanks for the explanations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I particularly love the study championed by Autism Speaks that shows higher incidence of autism in non-vaccinated children, most likely bc many of these unvaccinated children are siblings of autistic children and are subject to the very same genetic and environmental factors that increase their risk.

I had to shout down my mother-in-law pretty sternly because she is convinced MMR causes autism. It was not a fun holiday season.

And she works in medical research :negative:

Also wa27 the herd immunity is The Thing -- part of the effectiveness of vaccines is minimizing the foothold upon which a virus can establish itself within a population. Without, risks of isolated incidents are increased -- vaccinated or not. Thanks to these reactionary morons, we have to worry about loving measles and poo poo again.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

a decent number of NHL players are from east bumfuck Saskatchewan

you can figure out the rest

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
One of the biggest factors in choosing a pediatrician was finding a practice that wouldn't take kids who were unvaccinated. Thankfully this is a growing trend, so it didn't really shrink the pool of available practices.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neil Armbong posted:

One of the biggest factors in choosing a pediatrician was finding a practice that wouldn't take kids who were unvaccinated. Thankfully this is a growing trend, so it didn't really shrink the pool of available practices.

Yep. Same. My ped group has a huge writeup that they will not see children that have not been properly vaccinated on the schedule provided by the CDC.

I wish selfish fucks would recognize it's a public health issue and not 'are freedumbs' or whatever.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vaccines and GMOs are the two biggest miracles of the 20th century, and I kind of wish the morons who can't stop crowing about them could somehow be granted their own world without them to live in, and that we could watch.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

General Dog posted:

Vaccines and GMOs are the two biggest miracles of the 20th century, and I kind of wish the morons who can't stop crowing about them could somehow be granted their own world without them to live in, and that we could watch.

this place exists. it's college station

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crotch Bat posted:

Vaccines lose efficacy over time but because of herd immunity you rarely see breakouts because between the young and the old it can't establish a foothold and spread. However, if someone that never got vaccinated for whatever reason got it and then was all in and around people who got the vaccine 20 years ago then yea, something might happen.

Vaccinated adults don't get something like chickenpox out of the blue essentially. Vaccinated adults in constant close contact with someone who has chickenpox might, though.

The notion of that seemingly permanent immunity is kind of false. Everyone typically needs a booster or two for this as they age. Usually, though, provided you don't work with the sick, young, or elderly on a consistent basis you can typically avoid these boosters but people like teachers, nurses, etc. should be getting boosters and staying on top of their schedule.

Get your pertussis boosters folks, whooping cough is super not fun

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Time posted:

More like Stanford.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

The Glumslinger posted:

Get your pertussis boosters folks, whooping cough is super not fun

Hopefully everyone in here either has a child or a niece/nephew and by being a good parent or uncle they got their Td booster.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Time posted:

College Station is GMO central

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Neil Armbong posted:

I feel bad for the kids

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

General Dog posted:

College Station is GMO central

I actually don't care my dude

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/LaurenSisler/status/897524443211337728

That's 3 transfers for this dude :/

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Eh, it's a grad transfer, nothing wrong with getting that extra year if you can.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Time posted:

I actually don't care my dude

A&M invented maroon carrots

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

2014 Georgia averaged 41 points a game. This team might hit 41 once this season (Samford).

Hot drat, I miss being good at offense. And to think people complained. To think.

Yeah but Mike Bobo scores too fast/wont run the drat ball/ran the drat ball on the wrong down/cant manage a game clock/scores too many points/whatever other crap people said.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'll never be able to understand the scores too many points/scores too fast rhetoric.

gently caress that! Score all the points! One play touchdowns all day!

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah he's graduated and his move to WR apparently wasn't going very well (trouble holding onto passes). Rumor is he's going to FAU which I think is closer to home. Kiffin might have some fun with him.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'll never be able to understand the scores too many points/scores too fast rhetoric.

gently caress that! Score all the points! One play touchdowns all day!

Makes the defense too tired, Pawl

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Figured if JF3 was gonna go he would have already; just a few days ago they were talking about him maybe doing KR so he must've been getting buried on the depth chart.

kayakyakr posted:

Dinner will prolly be in either Mobile or Pensacola.
Wintzell's in downtown Mobile, or Original Oyster House on the Causeway just east of the city is my rec. But the Causeway has like a dozen seafood places that all change ownership and get rebuilt after every hurricane and they all pretty much serve the same stuff.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Wintzell's in downtown Mobile, or Original Oyster House on the Causeway just east of the city is my rec. But the Causeway has like a dozen seafood places that all change ownership and get rebuilt after every hurricane and they all pretty much serve the same stuff.

I will second the recommendation for the Oyster House or really any other place along the causeway if you want seafood. Pensacola also has a bunch of really nice restaurants if you're looking for something a little fancier.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Makes the defense too tired, Pawl

So score more points than the other guy problem solved

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

JF3 won't be playing QB again so who knows, but with a free license to I guess why not. I dunno why anyone would take him is beyond me regardless of whatever underwear athletics show stats he can throw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Showtime is following Navy football around all season, which sounds way cooler than ND or FSU.

• Locked thread