Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Someone mentioned that a 3 hour Eclipse game for 4 people is long, but I don't think my friends and I have ever finished that in under 3. I think one problem with some of these bigger games is that we play them once or twice and they take a long rear end time because no one knows what they're doing, and then they think they're always going to take that long and don't want to play anymore. Maybe we're just dumb and slow though... or too smart and we have AP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
$125 for Gloomhaven shipping. Another lie for my girlfriend to eat. Yes love, it was only $30.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KingKapalone posted:

Someone mentioned that a 3 hour Eclipse game for 4 people is long, but I don't think my friends and I have ever finished that in under 3. I think one problem with some of these bigger games is that we play them once or twice and they take a long rear end time because no one knows what they're doing, and then they think they're always going to take that long and don't want to play anymore. Maybe we're just dumb and slow though... or too smart and we have AP?

This is the exact same reason why my friends and I don't bring out forbidden stars nor Eclipse much. I think triumph and tragedy is that new game for us without the rules overhead. And yet one of them wants to buy TI 4e because they promise less rules garbage. :mad:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tai posted:

$125 for Gloomhaven shipping. Another lie for my girlfriend to eat. Yes love, it was only $30.

:sever:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If she doesn't like your monetary investment, I can't imagine how she'll take your time investment.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tai posted:

Just explain to her the Rutibex price-to-component ratio of it and she'll understand

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Tai posted:

No one who actually witnesses the monstrous 22 lb Gloomhaven box in real life could ever believe in a $30 price tag. You need an alternate strategy, friend.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

No one who actually witnesses the monstrous 22 lb Gloomhaven box in real life could ever believe in a $30 price tag. You need an alternate strategy, friend.

He is not talking about the price, he is talking about the shipping cost.
:capitalism:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

Has anyone put together a teaching aid or common rules mistakes list for A Feast for Odin yet?

I put together a rules annotation upthread.

One thing I don't mention but probably should is that at any time, except during a Viking action, you can pay any boat's point cost in silvers to get one, assuming you have dock space. The stacks often cover the price on the little board they give you to hold the ships.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 15, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ojetor posted:

$30 to ship. Which is still way low for the weight and size. I still have no idea how Isaac made money on Gloomhaven honestly.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Rutibex posted:

This is a very noble thing you are doing. I await the results with baited breath.
The rumors are true. There is Crossfire to be found at Toysrus.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fastbilly1 posted:

The rumors are true. There is Crossfire to be found at Toysrus.

If you get three copies of Crossfire and a Crokinole board you could make 6 player Crossfire :getin:

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Rutibex posted:

If you get three copies of Crossfire and a Crokinole board you could make 6 player Crossfire :getin:

I honestly thought about it, talk about an ideal beer and pretzels game. Sadly my ToysRus only had one copy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rutibex posted:

But that's an octagon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fastbilly1 posted:

Yesterday I had a random inkling to look up the 90s version of Crossfire, specifically to see how the guns worked. I was theorizing if I could make a four player version, like a reverse Hungry Hungry Hippos, but the cost of two copies was going to be stupid. So I went on BGG to see if anyone had a teardown of how the guns worked and discovered that a Toyrus exclusive version is on shelves now for $25:

It may be time to get caught in the Crossfire.

No special mechanisms, just smooth metal balls sliding down a steep slope.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rydiafan posted:

But that's an octagon.
:eyepop:
You are right, it should be 8-player

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Tai posted:

Where the hell are you shipping it to, Australia?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TI4 rules are up in case anyone's interested in comparing it to 3. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/15/the-age-of-twilight/

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

al-azad posted:

No special mechanisms, just smooth metal balls sliding down a steep slope.
Close, it is a horseshoe of metal that a hammer pushes the ball down onto. Thats why it comes out with some force.

If it was a straight drop it would be Boccerball.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

kinkouin posted:

Where the hell are you shipping it to, Australia?

US to France.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Zark the Damned posted:

TI4 rules are up in case anyone's interested in comparing it to 3. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/15/the-age-of-twilight/

I haven't played TI3 in 10 years but this looks like they took lessons from Eclipse, outside of the Power Grid / Galaxy Trucker parts. Sectors divided into rings, limited number of turns. Could be good.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magnetic North posted:

I haven't played TI3 in 10 years but this looks like they took lessons from Eclipse, outside of the Power Grid / Galaxy Trucker parts. Sectors divided into rings, limited number of turns. Could be good.

I don't think they addressed the core problems of how long it takes, how few interesting decisions there are to make, how much randomness there is, the ease of becoming knocked out of winning in a several hour game, the lack of barriers to someone playing suboptimally and ruining someone else's games, etc. I don't buy the whole "well players can negotiate out some of these issues" because it's the equivalent of saying "well a good GM can fix it." I played a game of TI3 last year for my 30th birthday and it was frankly kind of awful.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Tai posted:

US to France.

Jeez. That sucks. For some reason I thought he was in the UK?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I am from the UK but live in France. Pretty similar shipping costs though. Gita love the EU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fr0id posted:

I don't think they addressed the core problems of how long it takes, how few interesting decisions there are to make, how much randomness there is, the ease of becoming knocked out of winning in a several hour game, the lack of barriers to someone playing suboptimally and ruining someone else's games, etc. I don't buy the whole "well players can negotiate out some of these issues" because it's the equivalent of saying "well a good GM can fix it." I played a game of TI3 last year for my 30th birthday and it was frankly kind of awful.

There is no rule set in role playing that could not be ruined by a bad DM. This does not mean open rules sets are inherently bad. Twilight Imperium requires the right attitude from all the players to be enjoyed properly. This not a bad thing, it might make it a bad "game" in an abstract sense, but it makes for a better experience.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Pandemic Legacy January Trip Report

We had an incredibly lucky starting draw that let us get Red cured on the first turn around the table, and our first Epidemic was really low as well. Only one outbreak the whole month...but things were definitely teetering on the edge at the very end. Had "finding the 3rd regular cure" not been the month ending condition, we would have had one or two more. This game is awesome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tai posted:

US to France.

Then just tell her c'est la vie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zark the Damned posted:

It looks like they just smashed the best parts of a lot of different expansions together. Which is fine. Lot of room to expand with technologies now, since they're not constrained by a tree anymore, and I'm sure there are multiple variants of upgrades. I wish they were more cleverly named than "Destroyer II" though. Lot of good changes it seems, but it won't address the time issue at all, I think.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fr0id posted:

I'm planning on playing a game at Gencon, only have read the rules, so while I can't comment on what an actual game is like it doesn't seem too far off base from a multiplayer wargame to me. There's even a built catch-up strategy that gives you free points.

That said, I can already intuit some pitfalls. I'll definitely be using FFG's pre-generated map which puts everyone on mostly equal footing, a big issue I have with Eclipse where a player can end up with nothing but poo poo surrounding them. I'll probably also use the timed variant where all the objective cards are visible and count down towards endgame, something I find distasteful in Dominant Species where the game only moves forward if someone is going after domination actions.

Right now it's giving me serious Here I Stand vibes, a game that is anything but balanced but is a prime example of "what you put in is what you get out."

e: It's also nice that everyone I would play with has played Star Wars Rebellion which shares quite a bit with the ruleset.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 16, 2017

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Tai posted:

I am from the UK but live in France. Pretty similar shipping costs though. Gita love the EU

In my experience having done some shipping for work, size will add cost far more quickly than weight. I did some comparisons and really, they don't care much about that 22lbs, they care more that you're using up space on the plane/truck. For example, shipping something from Canada to New Zealand with a weight of ~9lbs/4kg costs over $600 CAD, but that's because our dimensions were ~30x50x40cm. Granted that's a big further, but you can save hundreds by taking a couple cm off each dimension. (If anyone actually trained in shipping wants to add to that, please do. I'd love to be able to ship cheaper.)

A random BGG thread puts the Gloomhaven box at 16"x11.5"x7.5", so that's quite large and I'm honestly surprised it's shipping that cheaply. Economy of scale, perhaps?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Frush posted:

In my experience having done some shipping for work, size will add cost far more quickly than weight. I did some comparisons and really, they don't care much about that 22lbs, they care more that you're using up space on the plane/truck. For example, shipping something from Canada to New Zealand with a weight of ~9lbs/4kg costs over $600 CAD, but that's because our dimensions were ~30x50x40cm. Granted that's a big further, but you can save hundreds by taking a couple cm off each dimension. (If anyone actually trained in shipping wants to add to that, please do. I'd love to be able to ship cheaper.)

A random BGG thread puts the Gloomhaven box at 16"x11.5"x7.5", so that's quite large and I'm honestly surprised it's shipping that cheaply. Economy of scale, perhaps?

Or he's subsidizing the shipping costs like Riot does with MvM?

Hard to say.

Zark the Damned posted:

Anyone have a good rundown of the differences yet?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's free shipping in the continental us, right?

What "free shipping" means is "shipping is included in the price", so the rest-of-world shipping cost can reasonably be subsidized by exactly the same amount.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

kinkouin posted:

Anyone have a good rundown of the differences yet?

It's been a while since I've played TI, but here's what I noticed.

Different strategy cards. Initiative and Logistics combined (basically speed 1 logistics). Politics is what lets you choose first player. Logistics (4) got replaced by Construction, which is what lets you make Space Docks and PDS (they are otherwise not producible in normal manufacturing). Some other small differences among the cards, but the fundamental uses remain otherwise. Imperial uses Imperial II.

Tech is more streamlined. Instead of a tech tree, you just need certain types of tech as backup. Tech planets can be exhausted to substitute for one of these requirements, which seems much more useful than a 1 cost discount.

Ships can be upgraded.

No political agendas/votes until someone takes over Mecatol Rex.

Trade goods work differently. Everyone gets Commodities, which, when given to another player, will turn into a Trade Good. These refresh with the Trade strategy.

Promissory notes are a way of enforcing deals and alliances.

Some planets get traits that have interactions with cards/races?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

al-azad posted:

something I find distasteful in Dominant Species where the game only moves forward if someone is going after domination actions.

I'm surprised that this is a thing when you played, scoring is a super strong move in DS and is literally how you win the game and I can't imagine it never being taken except maybe for the last 1 or 2 cards of the game.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm surprised that this is a thing when you played, scoring is a super strong move in DS and is literally how you win the game and I can't imagine it never being taken except maybe for the last 1 or 2 cards of the game.

Yeah, I was going to say this. The board state is so volatile in Dominant Species (and the cards can be big gets) that capitalising on scoring opportunities is critical. I can understand the objection in the abstract, but even in 2-player games (in my experience) the Dominance action fills up almost every turn.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Because domination is the last action performed, and the dominant animal is not necessarily the animal that will score the most points, there's a hesitation where people new to the game want to secure a foothold before taking the action. And if it comes down to it you may forfeit your action which will probably happen if it reaches the point where you gain no benefit. Dominant Species operates on a language unusual to area control games, it's similar to Inis where every new player ignores deeds (basically victory points) and focuses on putting all their dudes in one location (a surefire way to not win).

I think DS would be a stronger game if it had a timer or cards fell off, but I'm of the opinion that game end clocks are almost never a bad idea.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Yeah, I agree with you there; game clock of some sort would straight-up improve the game, though it's still one of my favorites regardless.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It's a fair point. I'm happy to score someone else's mid range tile for a good card ability, but that kind of thinking is counter intuitive when learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
We're planning to play BSG tomorrow, but we're not sure of the player count yet. I know 5 is the magic number, but is the game workable with 4 or 6? There were alternative rules for the sympathiser in the case of 4 players, IIRC.