Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think the bread thing is legit and used even in serious restoration projects. It's just that, like with many lifehacks, you still have to actually know what you're doing before you cargo cult your cleaning method. On the other hand, the mechanics at work are probably that bread will pick up dirt before it breaks down from friction, but break down before the painting does, so I guess it can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

French bread is used in restauration.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
To be perfectly fair, way back when, architects would use day old bread to erase pencil marks before rubber erasers became a thing. I don't remember if it was because they used softer lead or sturdier paper, but it worked out well that way.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Edit. Wrong thread.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Soft white bread, not bagels. Although that probably isn't a distinction in many places.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just smear it with honey. Ants will come to carry off the honey, and take away the dirt at the same time. Walla!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Isn't that just using the spongy qualities of the bread, an effect you could replicate with an actual sponge instead of ruining decent baked goods?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Isn't that just using the spongy qualities of the bread, an effect you could replicate with an actual sponge instead of ruining decent baked goods?

A sponge needs water to work, bread doesn't.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-7946617

(:lol: if you can't read Finnish what are you a noob?)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRQRdAUjRCJ/

I'm in tears. All that effort to hide :20bux:, and you have to carry your goddamn toothpaste with you everywhere.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
The implication is to hide 1 tiny joint

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mister Adequate posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRQRdAUjRCJ/

I'm in tears. All that effort to hide :20bux:, and you have to carry your goddamn toothpaste with you everywhere.

Maybe it's something to encourage your child to brush their teeth regularly.

Alternatively, it's for hiding your illegal drugs.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

AlbieQuirky posted:

Soft white bread, not bagels. Although that probably isn't a distinction in many places.

Bagels can work. You just have to keep them fresh. A good storage container are those spindle cases stacks of blank CDs come in.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
It's a good thing drug enforcement personnel are physically incapable of using the Internet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/hwBYOqW.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Omg that's so hot.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I guess some people like to hide cash in their homes for, I dunno, emergency purposes or something. Smuggling contraband in travel size toothpaste tubes seems a more likely use for this hack, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mountaineer posted:

I guess some people like to hide cash in their homes for, I dunno, emergency purposes or something. Smuggling contraband in travel size toothpaste tubes seems a more likely use for this hack, though.

Yeah, just can't bear to spend Christmas at grandma's house without a few hits of fentanyl. The dumb dogs at the airport will never detect it hidden in all this minty freshness!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

The thing that gets me here is that he makes a motorized can opener that you have to use two hands to operate, and then he proceeds to use it to cut the lid aaaaall the way around, so that it plops into the can and makes its extraction ten times messier and finger cut prone than if he'd left a sliver. This dude has no concept of kitchen. Perfect addition to that doing it wrong gif.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

I mean... a regular can opener also takes two hands to operate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Many motorized ones don't.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Many motorized ones don't.
With this one, you can have the best of both worlds: motorized and two-handed! :downs:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

The thing that gets me here is that he makes a motorized can opener that you have to use two hands to operate

Why does it matter? If I'm opening a can I'm usually very much not doing anything else at the same time so I don' t need a free hand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why does it matter? If I'm opening a can I'm usually very much not doing anything else at the same time so I don' t need a free hand.

It makes a big difference for people with certain kinds of disability.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It makes a big difference for people with certain kinds of disability.

Life hackers are not legally disabled.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jerry Cotton posted:

Life hackers are not legally disabled.

I see where you're headed, but my girlfriend works in a (physical) rehab hospital and patients there love little hacks to help open/dispense/stow/etc things more easily or with limited mobility, many of which would seem ridiculous to able-bodied people. I should bring them a shipping container of bread clips.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyways, I'm not going to start adding "but only for people who have two working hands" every time I say something positive about things that require using two hands.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A lot of those dumb infomercial products were originally invented for people with mobility problems.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe you could open that can with a blowtorch instead. Doesn't need two hands.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Karate Bastard posted:

Maybe you could open that can with a blowtorch instead. Doesn't need two hands.

And it cooks while it opens! You basically just invented the soup keurig.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's something about that vid that just screams "oh no honey I broke the can opener, now we can't have black beaTHE HELL YOU TALKING ABOUT WOMAN WE'RE HAVING BLACK BEANS. SEE THERE? WALLA."

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

more like beans on the walla after the can explodes

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
SEE YOU IN WALHALLA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ah yes, I love some canned black beans with my rice that I cooked in a rice cooker

:can:

Oh crap, those aren't beans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bees?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Jerry's not on board.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grassy Knowles posted:

And it cooks while it opens! You basically just invented the soup keurig.

No, someone already hacked that life. Sorry.

It has since been discontinued.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Beads.

Edit: Alternatively,

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Aug 16, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Randaconda posted:

A lot of those dumb infomercial products were originally invented for people with mobility problems.

Wasn't there a goon that worked on filming some of those. IIRC the trick is to make it apparent that "This product is for people with your disability!" without crossing the line and presenting it as a medical device for people with that disability.

It's certainly resulted in some pretty funny gifs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Speaking of stupid infomercials, I feel like the computer screen trick shot on this one is so exploitable.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w57k/bell-howell-tac-glasses-no-ordinary-sunglasses