Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's weird too since Joan Chen was really excited to come back and wrote Lynch a letter in character. Maybe Lynch just didn't want to deal with making her plot make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

kaworu posted:

He could have been sitting there 5,000 years, for all we know. I love that aspect of the Red Room.

I read in some article that Twin Peaks is basically an entire show about The Aging Room in 2001, and I actually think that with The Return especially taken into context that is so so right on.

i'm being plagiarized!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is what's struck me the most - Lynch is confident enough to present us with a world that isn't immediately, easily explainable, and we're getting the sense that there's something sort of semi-arbitrary about how the Lodges function, so utterly outside of our realm of understanding that they're threatening merely via obfuscation of clarity. The blind lady potentially being linked to the box alien is a great example, and if it's true it explains why the white lodge dwellers are so calm all the time, which is that (theoretically) it's because they don't want to accidentally have a negative impact on our world. On the other hand, the black lodge inhabitants are thrilled to be anarchic and cause chaos whenever possible, which would tie in to the concept that "love is not enough" - it's not enough to be distantly caring, you have to put your foot in and interact, even if that means potential harm.

The metaphysics in this show are so awesomely hazy, I love not having everything bluntly explained to me so it can remain mysterious and subjective and we can all hash out our kooky theories. It's like a whole show about the "aging room" in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

eSporks posted:

It's weird too since Joan Chen was really excited to come back and wrote Lynch a letter in character. Maybe Lynch just didn't want to deal with making her plot make sense.

They already have a pretty woman character made of wood in Tammy.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
they just teased Fashion Peaks on Smackdown for the third week in a row. Jeez.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a toilet in the lodge?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

moist turtleneck posted:

Yes but cooper doesn't know how to use the three seashells.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

one place to poo poo in the black lodge...and it's right here

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i'm being plagiarized!

You totally are. I'm not kidding. Nobody calls it "the aging room" as far as I know. It's described as a hotel in the literature.

And the 2001 influence is so sleeveworn in this series that I'm enamoured more than ever. The window in Episode 8 is pretty much exactly how Clarke describes Bowman's contact with the monolith on Japetus. It was, to me, an alternative cinematic take on the Clarke/Kubrick vision of A Space Odyssey.

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 16, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
this is where we poo poo in the fbi

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
This Lissie album is both good and country-tinged. It can be both.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's been bugging me since Sunday why Lissie seemed so familiar. Then I remembered one of my favourite songs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=shBKTA3QIok

It also has a country feel.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

esperterra posted:

It's been bugging me since Sunday why Lissie seemed so familiar. Then I remembered one of my favourite songs.

I enjoy this live version of a song by Lissie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsbHGEB6UU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kinda think it's odd Josie hasn't been mentioned even once considering her bizarre fate, but I also don't really care because the Josie storylines were pretty bad.

she quit the show and lynch put her in a doorknob

then she wanted to come back for s3 and he said no

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Its gonna suck when this show is over and the only thing left to watch on TV is Fail stuff not made by genius auteurs.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You think I'm gonna care about season 2 of Legion? Yeah I don't really gently caress with that amateur hour stuff anymore.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

she quit the show and lynch put her in a doorknob

then she wanted to come back for s3 and he said no

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a door knob

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net cafe scandal posted:

Its gonna suck when this show is over and the only thing left to watch on TV is Fail stuff not made by genius auteurs.
I’m gonna binge the new season of Game of Thrones after it’s done, but I’m not excited for it or anything. It’s no Twin Peaks so why should I even give a poo poo?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i'm being plagiarized!

Haha I don't think you are. It was your posts I was remembering, and I kind of held your posts apart mentally in my mind and took them more seriously than the usual noise of the thread. Not to dis the usual noise of the thread (of which I am an especially noisy and likely loud part) it's just because I've been reading your analyses about Kubrick and other directors (but mostly Kubrick I seem to recall) for so many drat years already on CineD :o:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 16, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Polo-Rican posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a door knob

:discourse:

Don't gently caress with Lynch or that will happened or you'll turn into a brain on a tree.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol im listening to studio killers right now and this synced up perfectly to the beat

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

I've been watching Mad Men and Ray Wise just randomly showed up

He was on a Castle episode once and the instant he showed up, I blurted out, "Well, I know who the killer is."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm a bit disappointed this isn't named "Ace_Attorney.gif".

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ray wise is a recurring character on fresh off the boat and he's great in it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He also knows how to give a drat good Business Hug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80yjtJFf-v0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_6UzC-dw04

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

kaworu posted:

Haha I don't think you are. It was your posts I was remembering, and I kind of held your posts apart mentally in my mind and took them more seriously than the usual noise of the thread. Not to dis the usual noise of the thread (of which I am an especially noisy and likely loud part) it's just because I've been reading your analyses about Kubrick and other directors (but mostly Kubrick I seem to recall) for so many drat years already on CineD :o:

:O!!!! i'm famous!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ray Wise is very powerful.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Just for kicks, I put on Episode 14/Lonely Souls, and I am reminded that the last 10 minutes of that episode is absolutely jaw dropping.

While I love the absolute batshit crazy Season 3 has been, I hope we have another moment towards the end that just resonates pure emotion like that episode.

"I am so sorry."

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
What comes to mind as one of the most emotional scenes in S3 for me so far has been Dougie seeing the old Lady Slot Addict at the lounge in Las Vegas.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

el oso posted:

What comes to mind as one of the most emotional scenes in S3 for me so far has been Dougie seeing the old Lady Slot Addict at the lounge in Las Vegas.

That scene was very touching. Any time Bobby talks about his dad is great, too.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

esperterra posted:

I love this track too. Lissie has a really great voice!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

el oso posted:

Ben Horne making his receptionist cry made me cry.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well it took three quarters of the runtime for professional pop culture writers to find one aspect they can latch on to and write weekly speculative articles about that bring in the clicks, I guess that's as much as we can hope for. Game of Thrones has “who will die“ and Twin Peaks now has “who is a tulpa“.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

el oso posted:

Coop doodling on the insurance claim forms with the sullen jazz music in the background gave me pause for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

Watching the poor guy struggle to even draw a set of stairs while the magical lodge sparks told him where to doodle made me sink a bit lower in my seat like "jesus :smith:"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 16, 2017

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The bit where Cooper is standing by the statue looking really confused and not understanding that he's meant to go home to Janey-E's house was a really sad moment. The bits where Cooper seems on the verge of a breakthrough but can't understand it are really :smith:

I think Josie and Windom Earle were meant to have been completely destroyed and don't have a consciousness or physical form as punishment for their evil deeds? It seems like a good end to their character arcs.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

For me it was definitely the end of Episode.... 5, or 6? The one that ended with that Johnny Jewel instrumental with Cooper staring at the statue as it grew dark, his wife having forgotten about him. That was rough.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

kaworu posted:

For me it was definitely the end of Episode.... 5, or 6? The one that ended with that Johnny Jewel instrumental with Cooper staring at the statue as it grew dark, his wife having forgotten about him. That was rough.
That and the ending bit from a few weeks ago with Big Ed Hurley sadly eating alone are going to stay with me for a long time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Raxivace posted:

That and the ending bit from a few weeks ago with Big Ed Hurley sadly eating alone are going to stay with me for a long time.

*stares deeply into your avatar's eyes*

Shinji-kun... I agree. Also, you are delicate, like glass.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
no anime references in this thread thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe