Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah specifically as a gently caress you

the statue in front of the courthouse downtown is just some generic johnny reb type soldier, and was originally facing north until the old courthouse burned down and they had to move the fukken statue, fukken monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shark Sandwich posted:

now i want to read VALIS

VALIS is good but really fuckin hard and the plot depends on allusions to weird gnostic concepts and i eventually gave up and read something else

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because love overrides your survival instinct. People will run into a burning building to save someone they love. And the survival instinct is inherently doomed, you can not survive. But the things you love can outlive you. So love allows people to actually make rational decisions by overriding the flawed survival instinct.

:discourse:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agrajag posted:

agreed grrm is overrated as a writer and his diction kinda a lotta sucks poo poo. but ill still read whatever books comes out that finally finished off the series.

i 100% believe brandon sanderson will end up finishing the series.

more than his diction, a big problem w/ the series is that he frames the series as about an ensemble cast but ultimately the stories he cares about are jon snow's and daenerys's so a lot more time is spent with them. unfortunately jon and daenerys are boring as hell because they aren't in the seven kingdoms and so their actions never immediately intersect with those of other viewpoint characters, and also they hew the closest to tired fantasy cliches

grrm loves the worst parts of his books and wants to skim past the interesting parts

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Aug 16, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah specifically as a gently caress you

That's what makes them so interesting as historical objects, that people were still so obsessed with this poo poo a century after the war was over

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sojenus posted:

thank goodness this statue of a confederate soldier was made of pure damascus steel

huh, not nippon steel? then its fuckin garbage

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Michael Bayleaf posted:

are you for destroying all the nazi and holocaust poo poo in museums

No but it has to be contextualized or you just end up with people worshiping it

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
angels envy makes a rye and im going to have that for dessert~~~

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

My entire block just lost power, thanks Trump!

well get off the internet and spend your time constructively, find a confederate statue to destroy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
CNN is really ripping into Trump.

They've gone full POTUS is a Nazi Racist.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

burritos are pretty good, friend

I've had all of life's luxuries because I'm a lucky bastard who's been fortunate enough to be born in a good family and to have met the right people, but I've yet to find a burrito that's more fun to eat alone than to eat with a friend.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Reality Winner posted:

a lot of them are from the 60s as a way of protesting the civil rights movement, yeah.

lmao this country is so loving diseased to its core

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Agrajag posted:

good think i have the ability to override my other emotions int he name of self preservation.

*george kastanzas out of the burning house*

"George can't stand ya!" *chuckles*

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

mormonpartyboat posted:

angels envy makes a rye and im going to have that for dessert~~~

:yeah:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lopl obama still doing his "when tehy go low we go high" bit? yo stfu youre the ereason we got saddled witht rump adn the resurgence of nazis

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/GilTPolitics/status/897634055604359168

brb erecting a trump statue so i can topple it

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've had all of life's luxuries because I'm a lucky bastard who's been fortunate enough to be born in a good family and to have met the right people, but I've yet to find a burrito that's more fun to eat alone than to eat with a friend.

alright, u got me there.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Brogeoisie posted:

k I get you

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Brogeoisie posted:

Great, now can you think of an institution that might be useful for providing cultural context for historical objects?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

triple sulk posted:

juggalos........ good?

yes

well aside from the time they broke tila tequila's brain and made her into a nazi or some poo poo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am super pleasantly surprised that Kevin Nash has some form of decent humanity in him.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jazerus posted:

more than his diction, a big problem w/ the series is that he frames the series as about an ensemble cast but ultimately the stories he cares about are jon snow's and daenaerys's so a lot more time is spent with them. unfortunately jon and daenaerys are boring as hell because they aren't in the seven kingdoms and so their actions never immediately intersect with those of other viewpoint characters, and also they hew the closest to tired fantasy cliches

grrm loves the worst parts of his books and wants to skim past the interesting parts

I feel like GRRM is also incredibly lazy with his worldbuilding which would be fine if they weren't all doorstop-sized

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Agrajag posted:

my recollection is that all of the japanese sword stuff is actually trying to deal with the fact of how incredibly garbo their iron is

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Agrajag posted:

lopl obama still doing his "when tehy go low we go high" bit? yo stfu youre the ereason we got saddled witht rump adn the resurgence of nazis

obama lit the powder keg but this poo poo has been building up since the civil rights movement imo

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Philthy posted:

CNN just parrots whatever everyone already knows so that sounds about right

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmel/status/897643898364772352

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mariana Horchata posted:

im waiting 4 the 5min cut of :foxnews: ppl years back condemning fascism and nazis because :obama:

the audacity of hope

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

that's catchy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
i'm for preserving confederate monuments within a sadistic, trap-filled labyrinth of doom

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Agrajag posted:

this statue of a white supremacist was folded over a thousand times in a trash compactor to create the finest metal in the land

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
while it's good to keep artifacts of past times for nerds like me gently caress the statues

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

twoday posted:

That's what makes them so interesting as historical objects, that people were still so obsessed with this poo poo a century after the war was over

They were to keep black people out of parks post segregation.

Keeping it is like keeping segregation and just calling it a loving museum.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Solarin posted:

aren't the majority of these statues built and erected in the 80s or at least long after the war was over

A lot of them went up in the 1920's after "Birth of a Nation" hit theaters. Others went up in the 50's and 60's when the Civil Rights movement was picking up steam.

If you all haven't seen "Birth of a Nation", you should watch it. It is insane how many of our modern racist stereotypes come directly from that film.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

twoday posted:

Great, now can you think of an institution that might be useful for providing cultural context for historical objects?

are you on drugs? Do you really think museums are all bastions of pure honesty, truth and all that is right? like, have you guys only been to smithsonian museums or some poo poo? most museums are awful and filled with "here's this battle where a bunch of indians were killed" type veneration. It's NOT objectively good to put something in a museum just because it's a museum. Holy christ.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Agrajag posted:

this nazi poo poo was coming no matter what, the thing that set them off this soon was Obama being black and acknowledging institutional racism in the us.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Doorknob Slobber posted:

'things mattering' oh wait, nope

quelle surprise

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Philthy posted:

well they're not wrong

nyt says aides were shocked not that he said the words but that he'd said them in private and they just never expected him to say them in public

he had the notes from the other day in his pocket, that's preparation. this was not spontaneous

he said he hadn't talked to bannon in a week (no idea about miller tho)

this was the real trump

he's a goddamn loving idiot and also happens to be a racist senile grandpa

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
the mattering will occur exactly when abandoning donald trump helps republicans get elected and not a moment before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

A lot of them went up in the 1920's after "Birth of a Nation" hit theaters. Others went up in the 50's and 60's when the Civil Rights movement was picking up steam.

If you all haven't seen "Birth of a Nation", you should watch it. It is insane how many of our modern racist stereotypes come directly from that film.

the scene in congress with fried chicken blew my loving mind when i first saw it. god i hate that film, but it's crazy culturally important for the us.

edit: after watching that, peeps need to watch films like Rosewood, though.

• Locked thread