Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CordlessPen posted:

That explains half of it, but I still get new characters at a level above what my MC's (or the rest of my team's) is. Maybe it's just the game throwing me a freebie and giving me Mafrei before I get Mabufu.
I just keep quoting myself in this thread...

I just got a new character, 4 levels below the team's average, so I don't know anymore... I also managed to complete the 4th palace in one day, mostly thanks to SP Adhesives. And I thought I might regret spending that 200k...

I sold a transmuting blade a while ago because it seemed weak, but now I know what it's used for and I'm kicking myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

CordlessPen posted:

mostly thanks to SP Adhesives. And I thought I might regret spending that 200k...

Doubt it, those are the best spent items in the entire game

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CordlessPen posted:

I sold a transmuting blade a while ago because it seemed weak, but now I know what it's used for and I'm kicking myself.

I used one the entire game, and then barely even used the weapon.

They don't really matter that much.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's not super hard to get more, I don't think? I vaguely recall the giant wall of Gatchapon machines at Akihabara can get you more if you need them. They're not super useful til you hit endgame levels because the really good stuff grant stat boosts. Joker's two transmutable guns, for example give him either +5 to all stats or +10 Magic, Makoto's best gun is +10 to everything, Morgana's best sword gets him +50 SP, etc.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ChaosArgate posted:

It's not super hard to get more, I don't think? I vaguely recall the giant wall of Gatchapon machines at Akihabara can get you more if you need them. They're not super useful til you hit endgame levels because the really good stuff grant stat boosts. Joker's two transmutable guns, for example give him either +5 to all stats or +10 Magic, Makoto's best gun is +10 to everything, Morgana's best sword gets him +50 SP, etc.

The very first one that I can make gives +5 Str to Fox and had a pretty good Atk rating, so it was very tempting.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You should get that one anyway since it's the one that's also a katana disguised as a giant pipe, and what else would the guy with Goemon use as a weapon?

Also that +5 Strength is the largest bonus you're likely to get from a transmuted weapon until the end game, and unlike the weapon's attack rating, that does effect the power of Persona-based attack skills.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah no joke, I'd probably keep that sword on Yusuke for the rest of the game because I don't think any of his other Swords give him bonus stats.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah no joke, I'd probably keep that sword on Yusuke for the rest of the game because I don't think any of his other Swords give him bonus stats.

Well, I would...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

A cursory google search tells me that you can get more Black Kogatanas from the secondhand shop in Yongen-Jaya if the store has them and maybe on the online shopping site. Model Guns are what come from the gatchapon wall in Akihabara.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Yusuke remained on my team all the way until the ending because he was one of the best SL and my friend who I may or may not be dating.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ChaosArgate posted:

A cursory google search tells me that you can get more Black Kogatanas from the secondhand shop in Yongen-Jaya if the store has them and maybe on the online shopping site. Model Guns are what come from the gatchapon wall in Akihabara.

Hey, look at that, the shop did sell one! Got the sword without even looking at what persona I had to sacrifice. Haven't been able to check it out in action though, because I have something like 27 days before anything happens and the only mementos requests I have left are locked behind part time jobs. It's cool to go through a dungeon in only one day, and with SP adhesives it's not even that much more challenging than splitting it in 2, but the month-long stretch with no combat and no significant story beat is at least as boring as it's useful. Weeks of dates and fortune reading and shogi and part-time jobs and having my room cleaned on every single occasion that I get because I want that free coffee service! (and a statutory rape relationship)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Alder posted:

Yusuke remained on my team all the way until the ending because he was one of the best SL and my friend who I may or may not be dating.

Yusuke tried to blackmail an underage girl into nude modelling. He's basically a 4channer.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yusuke tried to blackmail an underage girl into nude modelling. He's basically a 4channer.

Unlike 4chan he got better over time. His intro is still bad and disappointing though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The punchline to it all was funny, but the lead-up could have been handled so much better.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

History Comes Inside! posted:

They're like the same age, but yeah it's still pretty bad

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Not being able to date Yusuke is a crime and someone at Atlus needs their heart stolen for it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Uh...I just ambushed an enemy in Mementos and instead of going into battle, I just suddenly got a Persona. :psyduck: Is that supposed to happen? Did I find some weird cheat where if you mash the X button when you ambush a weak enemy, you instantly get a new Persona, or is there some other reason?

EDIT: I just did it again! I got a Makami and Koppa Tengu. Is it some kind of Confidant perk or undocumented ability? I'm on Chemdah: Area 6 of Mementos.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 12, 2017

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Yes it's perk from Ryuji's rank 7 I think. Just attack from the front if you want go to a normal battle as you don't get any EXP/Yen/etc from the instakill ambush

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's because you're much higher level than the things you're killing, note that you don't get any money or exp when this happens

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Which doesn't matter because you're getting like 1 xp and 15 yen for every thing you kill when you're so overleveled that you can insta-own them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Purple Monkey posted:

Yes it's perk from Ryuji's rank 7 I think. Just attack from the front if you want go to a normal battle as you don't get any EXP/Yen/etc from the instakill ambush

I remember getting the Instakill perk, but I didn't think it'd work like that. Still, it seems like it'd be useful to get some of lower level Persona I missed, or to try and complete some of the Strength Confidant requests.

Also, I just noticed that Futaba's headphones are AKG. Were there sponsors for this game like with the Yakuza games? I haven't noticed anything else like that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I dunno if AKG sponsored the game but I'm pretty sure they have or will eventually release headphones modeled after Futaba's, just like how Audio Technica released P3-branded headphones since the MC rocked a pair of EM-700s.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I dunno if AKG sponsored the game but I'm pretty sure they have or will eventually release headphones modeled after Futaba's, just like how Audio Technica released P3-branded headphones since the MC rocked a pair of EM-700s.

I searched online and it looks like they did do a P5 set: http://personacentral.com/persona-5-futaba-sakura-model-headphones-collaboration-announced/

Here's a video covering it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdxtvXEN5I8

I was just sort of surprised to see that they actually labelled AKG, since the TV in your room is branded as SUNNY (which is odd seeing as how this is a PS4 exclusive game), and I used to have a set of AKG headphones (might still have them lying around somewhere).

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I just got this game, my only real experience with JRPG's is basically pokemon (which I realise doesn't entirely lineup with that descriptor) so I'm kind of fumbling my way through a little.

Is there any point to getting multiple personas of the same level? I've been going through the first palace and basically just got one of each type before I stopped bothering with that.

As for fusions, how concerned should I be with matching all that up with the confidants and the arcana burst thing? To be honest I still don't fully understand how all those systems tie in to each other. I went to do a fusion because I didn't really like the look of the blue-blob-hanging-out-in-a-giant-pot-demon and wanted the turtle with a dragon neck for a tail, but it came with a warning saying you won't get an extra move so I just left it for the moment. It also has a blue label that calls it a "chariot", which I accidentally discovered gave me extra points with Ryuji when we exercised together, but once again, I don't really know how that's supposed to tie in to everything and none of the other personas I currently have, have a label like that.

When you get to a "hold up" section in the fights, is it always better to get money/items than just going for an all out attack?

And so far the palace seems to be pretty easy, the only thing that's really given me any trouble was the Green Horses that can keep summoning more and even that wasn't too bad. I'm at level 9 now but how extra prepared should I be for the rest of the place and the impending boss battle? Will it start to ramp up pretty quickly? I'm on normal but lots of people mention how difficult they found the first palace.

Where do I sell the treasure stuff?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Collecting as many different personae is a good idea, so your Pokemon experience has prepared you for catchin' them all! They all have different resistances to the different elements and fuse into different new personae so it's good to fill out your compendium.

Each persona has an arcana, and each confidant has an arcana. When you hang out with a confidant and have a persona with the matching arcana with you, that boosts the relationship gain you get from hanging out. Likewise, the higher your relationship with the confidant of a specific arcana, when you fuse a persona of that same arcana, you get bonus levels to that persona. The two systems reinforce each other.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
When a persona learns all it's abilities, that means it's a good time to fuse it into something new with a higher base level. Some are good to keep around because of their strengths at that point in the game, but that's the general rule of thumb. Plus you can always summon it back afterward.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

screaden posted:

When you get to a "hold up" section in the fights, is it always better to get money/items than just going for an all out attack?

I'm at level 9 now but how extra prepared should I be for the rest of the place and the impending boss battle? Will it start to ramp up pretty quickly? I'm on normal but lots of people mention how difficult they found the first palace.

Where do I sell the treasure stuff?

Asking for money will usually get you more money than just killing the monster, but killing them gives you more EXP. So it depends on what you want more at the moment. Also, if you have an enemy that you're holding up as a persona (like, currently in your "inventory", not just in the compendium) asking for money/items goes easier.

If you get through the palace alright, you'll almost certainly be okay for the boss fight. Also, boss fights are forced to be on a different day after you finish the palace for plot reasons, so don't worry about being in good condition for the end of the dungeon, just charge on to the end.

You'll get access to the place you sell stuff as part of a plot event after you finish the first place.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I believe the way it works is, you don't get any money or exp from the monsters you don't interrogate in a holdup, so you'll actually get the most out of a fight by murdering all but 1 and then interrogating it

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Alright, thanks for the responses. I think I got it now.

All that aside, game is super cool, I love the music so much

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
New Game + feels a bit disappointing.

I was under the false impression that enemies scaled up for NG+ rather than just resetting the whole thing back to level 1. It feels a bit trivial when you can just pull Black Frost out of your compendium and one-shot everything.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, it doesn't do that. If you want the second playthough to be difficult then you'll need self-imposed rules, like not summoning anything more than X levels above you.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

The come with a CD with 2 songs too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP3h-jOaPGA Jazzy midboss theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3z--8N9c74 Remixed and mashed up songs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hey turns out this wasn't Mishima's VA's first Persona voice acting gig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPEiOhlftA

Also, Persona 3 spoilers.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Semper Fudge posted:

New Game + feels a bit disappointing.

I was under the false impression that enemies scaled up for NG+ rather than just resetting the whole thing back to level 1. It feels a bit trivial when you can just pull Black Frost out of your compendium and one-shot everything.

You can max all your SL and fight the secret boss in NG+ along w/collecting trophies? Persona games don't offer much in NG+ other than achievements.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

You'll want to get as many personas as you can, so you can fuse them into bigger ones.

If you have a confidant with the same Arcana, it gets an exp boost. So that message was just letting you know you didn't have the relevant confidant yet, so no bonus. Fusion still works fine. Higher level confidants yield more exp. Also, having the matching persona levels your confidants faster too! Like, if you have an Agathion (guy in the pot) or a Slime in your inventory, you rank up faster with Ryuji because they're the Chariot Arcana. You only need the persona the moment you choose to hang out, it gives bonus points when chilling.

All your personas are meant to be disposable, so fuse new dudes all you like! Even Arsene.

Fun fact, if you already got a persona once, you can skip negotiation. They'll be like "Can't we talk about this??" and you go NO and you just get them. So you can fill up on fusion fodder really easily.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

many johnnys posted:

You'll want to get as many personas as you can, so you can fuse them into bigger ones.

If you have a confidant with the same Arcana, it gets an exp boost. So that message was just letting you know you didn't have the relevant confidant yet, so no bonus. Fusion still works fine. Higher level confidants yield more exp. Also, having the matching persona levels your confidants faster too! Like, if you have an Agathion (guy in the pot) or a Slime in your inventory, you rank up faster with Ryuji because they're the Chariot Arcana. You only need the persona the moment you choose to hang out, it gives bonus points when chilling.

All your personas are meant to be disposable, so fuse new dudes all you like! Even Arsene.

Fun fact, if you already got a persona once, you can skip negotiation. They'll be like "Can't we talk about this??" and you go NO and you just get them. So you can fill up on fusion fodder really easily.

Yeah, I think that there was something in my brain that the text explanations were unclear but as soon as I started actually doing it, everything made sense. Made it through Kamoshida's castle, had a hiccup where I got ambushed by the two succubus ladies because I was accidentally "hiding" on the wrong side of one of the distorted blocks. A confused Ryuji hosed us all up after that. I didn't realise that once Joker died you lost though, I thought it was once everybody died so I wasn't bothering to heal and just tried to burn them down as quickly as possible while Joker tanked his way through Ryuji's beatdown.

Is there ever a point where ranged weapons get stronger than melee or is it basically relegated to exploiting weaknesses?

Anyway, I seriously love this game. So much. It's sucked me in so completely, and in a way that hasn't happened since I reckon rock band did when me and all my friends were living in a share house together.

I also had a nice moment where I'd made myself some coffee and then as I sat down to have Joker make some more SP coffee for the next Castle run, he did so in the exact same setup that I have.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

screaden posted:

Is there ever a point where ranged weapons get stronger than melee or is it basically relegated to exploiting weaknesses?

Both guns and weapons are just about useless. You should be using Persona skills pretty much exclusively.

Equipping better weapons will increase the power of your all-out-attack, making it a lil easier to do the all-out finishers. That's all they do. Persona Skills scale with the Persona's stats, your (or rather, your persona's) level, and their own skill-specific attack power. You mostly want to be exploiting weaknesses, but Physical-based or Gun-based Persona skills are good to use too. Instead of costing your valuable SP, they'll take a small percentage of your HP instead (which is easily healed). Ryuji's pretty good at these (a couple other characters get some good ones too).

One extra aspect of combat is using buffs/debuffs. They're really good in the SMT series. Early on you'll mostly want to rely on debuffing strong enemies using the -unda skills. Ann should have Tarunda which takes the bite out of the enemies' attacks, and you can get access to Rakunda (defense down) on your personas pretty easily. I usually avoid the -kaja buffing spells until I get the party-wide versions. If you haven't tried them yet, give them a shot against the next big nasty you run into. They cost a lil more SP so I save them for bosses and minibosses.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

many johnnys posted:

Both guns and weapons are just about useless. You should be using Persona skills pretty much exclusively.

Equipping better weapons will increase the power of your all-out-attack, making it a lil easier to do the all-out finishers. That's all they do. Persona Skills scale with the Persona's stats, your (or rather, your persona's) level, and their own skill-specific attack power. You mostly want to be exploiting weaknesses, but Physical-based or Gun-based Persona skills are good to use too. Instead of costing your valuable SP, they'll take a small percentage of your HP instead (which is easily healed). Ryuji's pretty good at these (a couple other characters get some good ones too).

One extra aspect of combat is using buffs/debuffs. They're really good in the SMT series. Early on you'll mostly want to rely on debuffing strong enemies using the -unda skills. Ann should have Tarunda which takes the bite out of the enemies' attacks, and you can get access to Rakunda (defense down) on your personas pretty easily. I usually avoid the -kaja buffing spells until I get the party-wide versions. If you haven't tried them yet, give them a shot against the next big nasty you run into. They cost a lil more SP so I save them for bosses and minibosses.

I leaned pretty heavily on melee during that first palace because I felt like it was too easy to burn through all your SP. I ended up doing the whole thing in two parts (not including the calling card section). I didn't really use any buff/debuff stuff until the final fight but even then I don't know how much it really affected the outcome. My typical strategy for these ones is to avoid that stuff entirely in favour of pure damage dealing, but I'll keep that in mind for later

screaden fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 16, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

screaden posted:

I leaned pretty heavily on melee during that first palace because I felt like it was too easy to burn through all your SP. I ended up doing the whole thing in two parts (not including the calling card section). I didn't really use any buff/debuff stuff until the final fight but even then I don't know how much it really affected the outcome. My typical strategy for these ones is to avoid that stuff entirely in favour of pure damage dealing, but I'll keep that in mind for later

SMT and by extension Persona is a series where buffs are incredibly powerful and worth your time.

The difference between an unbuffed and buffed attack is immediately tangible, you just weren't paying close enough attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

screaden posted:

Buffs and debuffs are really important in this game, and they work on anything. Particularly, using the Suku- series of accuracy/evasion buffs and debuffs can save your life; if you have Sukukaja active on your allies and Sukunda active on your foes, you might notice your foes whiffing their attacks and spells quite often. You don't have to spend turns or SP/item resources healing if you aren't taking damage!

Status effect moves are great in regular (and sometimes mini-boss) encounters as well; they actually tend to have a pretty high chance of landing on enemies that aren't weak to any elements, so consider them.

Also, when you get better ranks of moves and/or need to replace old skills on your teammates, it's almost always going to be better to discard weaker attacks if you're getting access to stronger ones. I used to think otherwise because I figured it'd be more SP efficient to use the weakest spells, but I was only screwing myself over.