Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

From what I've read of that it's generally pretty good; Cable makes a surprisingly good straight man for Deadpool. Part of the joke is that Cable's whole deal is so ridiculous that Deadpool is one of the few people who'll believe him, let alone take him seriously. Also that having a semi-functional psychopath around makes Cable think twice about his actions because he's trying to set an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

seravid posted:

Here's a new topic for you, buddy: Yondu is a monster who should've been left floating in space along with Ego, not given a heartfelt eulogy and a 21-space-gun salute. The parallels to Rocket are absurd because one's an rear end in a top hat and the other kidnapped children and was an accessory to their murder.

The slaughter of his crew is the weirdest scene in the movie. Yondu laughs as he uses wall hacks and a remote-controlled bullet to kill every single man in his ship, at no risk to himself, while the song goes "You're my kind of man, so big and so strong". Just another one of Cool Dad's kick-rear end adventures!

Discuss.

edit: should probably spoil this

The way I took it, he thought he had been taking kids back to their father and stopped once he found out what was happening to them. When he found out, he kidnapped the last kid to make sure no one would take him to that fate.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. :stoked:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Re: Yondu post, It's cool and good to murder people for revenge in movies.

In fact it's cathartic and often rad.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The way I took it, he thought he had been taking kids back to their father and stopped once he found out what was happening to them. When he found out, he kidnapped the last kid to make sure no one would take him to that fate.

As Stallone put it: "You didn't know because you didn't want to know because it made you rich."

CelticPredator posted:

Re: Yondu post, It's cool and good to murder people for revenge in movies.

In fact it's cathartic and often rad.

This isn't John Wick. Not a single shot is fired against Yondu. He goes through the ship dealing death to men he's known for years. Are they all bad? The heroes of the battle of Xandar from GotG 1? Those who sided with him in the Mexican standoff a little earlier in this movie? Yondu seems to think so and he has a heck of a good time killing them all; the movie plays a spaceship crushing a dozen people for laughs.
This isn't a desperate and daring escape, either, as Yondu calmly walks not towards an escape pod, but towards a control center to better carry out the systematic murder of every living soul in the ship. This is cool and good and cathartic and rad.

seravid fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 14, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, the crew had just literally murdered almost every crew member who was friendly with Yondu, and showed every sign of enjoying it in the process. Revenge is pretty much a given there; not to mention they had outright committed mutiny, because Yondu wasn't being hostile and rapacious enough. (or at least, not turning in Peter, a former crewmate, for the bounty on his head)

Of course it was pretty hosed up and there's a big point how Yondu is not a good person, but it made for a helluva visual of a buncha aliens being killed in extremely stylish ways by a song-controlled space arrow.

The Guardians movies kinda make a point of how proper heroics is rare and difficult out in space, not least because law and order is rare and concentrated. Even Rocket, who can't really function in civilised society, respects Nova to an extent because they mostly keep poo poo in order in their territory and aren't overly destructive and oppressive like the Kree, who are willing to tacitly support a religious fanatic committing ritual war crimes. And one of the superpowers in the setting is Thanos, who from all indications regularly commits atrocities, murders and enslaves with impunity because he's effectively a higher-tier god. Gamora and Nebula are basically from planets like Earth who didn't have the Avengers to stop alien invasions. poo poo's hosed up out in space, basically.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

seravid posted:

This isn't John Wick. Not a single shot is fired against Yondu. He goes through the ship dealing death to men he's known for years. Are they all bad? The heroes of the battle of Xandar from GotG 1? Those who sided with him in the Mexican standoff a little earlier in this movie? Yondu seems to think so and he has a heck of a good time killing them all; the movie plays a spaceship crushing a dozen people for laughs.

The ones who sided with him earlier had already been executed via airlock by taserface. Only people left on board were mutineers.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I forgot about the airlock scene, but "only people left" is in the hundreds. That's a lot of bad apples.

Whatever the case, I like a good revenge story as much as the next guy and this was not it. This was gratuitous and off-putting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All mutineers get the plank. That's the law of the sea.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

All mutineers get the plank. That's the law of the sea.

I don't think planks work the same way in space.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't think planks work the same way in space.

It does in Star Trek: Generations

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

seravid posted:

I forgot about the airlock scene, but "only people left" is in the hundreds. That's a lot of bad apples.

Whatever the case, I like a good revenge story as much as the next guy and this was not it. This was gratuitous and off-putting.

Yeah, it hit that point of diminishing returns for me, too. I think, just on screen, there had to be over a hundred, with a lot more implied. Coupled with how easy it is for him to kill them, it ends up kind of uncomfortable.

Fake edit: According to those 'how many kills' videos, it's about 130. Which, to put it in perspective, is about as many as John Wick kills in the entirety of the second movie.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 14, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I mean, really though, it perfectly illustrates the nerd revenge/power fantasy.

Which is what this movie series in particular caters to in every way.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

On a lighter note, the toy version of MCU Yondu comes with a goofy-looking Michael Rooker whistle face.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any chance the next Doctor Strange movie will be him fighting the Blue Oyster Cult?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any chance the next Doctor Strange movie will be him fighting the Blue Oyster Cult?

Nope. According to leaks, the villain of Doctor Strange 2 is slated to be Nightmare.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Nope. According to leaks, the villain of Doctor Strange 2 is slated to be Nightmare.

the guy from Soul Calibur?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sleepwalker movie when?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowman_McK posted:

the guy from Soul Calibur?

Obviously not. It'll be the goo boss from Devil May Cry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lobok posted:

Obviously not. It'll be the goo boss from Devil May Cry.

It's all leading into a Marvel vs Capcom cinematic universe.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Those guys were baby-kickers, one of the worst space crimes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Inescapable Duck posted:

This would save the MCU.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

This would save the MCU.

Until the sequel is just 3 hours of "HYPER VIPER BEAM!!" and "ROCKET PUNCH!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not a movie but AV Club has their Defenders review up.

http://www.avclub.com/review/defenders-showdown-falls-just-short-being-super-259355

Not real geeked for it myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Im ready for a trailer featuring a mournful, slow, dirge like version of "Wanna take you for a ride"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
A stuntwoman died during the filming of Deadpool 2 :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm not trying to be flip - it seems like a lot of stuntpeople are getting seriously hurt/killed. Is this because it's actually getting more dangerous or people are actually paying attention or the movies are employing tons more of them, so they are statistically more likely to get wounded/killed?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think it's just because people pay more attention and have access to that information quicker. Real stunts are becoming a dwindling commodity in this CGI world. Maybe that's leading to more extreme stunts, who knows. But I just think it's because we don't find out about these things. Like in Road Warrior where that biker goes forward flipping through the air. It was an incredible stunt, but it was a mistake caught on film and that his legs hit the thing which caused him to go into that flip (breaking both his legs). No one at the time when the film came out would know that unless someone read an interview where someone from the crew talked about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I imagine stunt workers have always suffered from avoidable tragedies. Its just now you'll have major stars or movie people tweeting about it and lots of online people covering these productions and stuff that will draw attention.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gatts posted:

Until the sequel is just 3 hours of "HYPER VIPER BEAM!!" and "ROCKET PUNCH!"

An unknown watcher flips his poo poo shouting about a bionic arm.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if you like comic books and you like Rick & Morty, the latest episode is a corker

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jimbot posted:

I think it's just because people pay more attention and have access to that information quicker. Real stunts are becoming a dwindling commodity in this CGI world. Maybe that's leading to more extreme stunts, who knows. But I just think it's because we don't find out about these things. Like in Road Warrior where that biker goes forward flipping through the air. It was an incredible stunt, but it was a mistake caught on film and that his legs hit the thing which caused him to go into that flip (breaking both his legs). No one at the time when the film came out would know that unless someone read an interview where someone from the crew talked about it.

With Road Warrior it was almost the opposite because it was widely assumed that two stuntmen died during its filming until the late 90s/early 00s.

I read an article about how stuntwomen are twice as injury prone as stuntmen because they have to look like which ever star actress so they have to do the stunts in like a tight cool looking outfit while a guy will be able to have padding/armor in some cases on underneath their clothes.

If you watch the film Atlantis Interceptors, you always know when an action scene is coming up because massive kneepads appear under the main characters' pants as it goes from one shot to another. :3:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

starkebn posted:

if you like comic books and you like Rick & Morty, the latest episode is a corker

Pretty much non stop making GBS threads on guardians in particular and comics in general, that was great

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

McCloud posted:

Pretty much non stop making GBS threads on guardians in particular and comics in general, that was great

It seemed more just making GBS threads on generic MCU DCU movie properties tbh, the swipes were much broader than GotG specifically

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It seemed more just making GBS threads on generic MCU DCU movie properties tbh, the swipes were much broader than GotG specifically

Hence "comics in general". Obviously the Vindicators or whatever where a guardians pastiche, but a lot of the jokes apply to comics in general.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sasha Lane from American Honey cast Hellboy's love interest Alice Monaghan.

Here is the Hulk in a car commercial. No, this is not the Infinity War trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WbyDqgcvc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was kinda hoping they'd avoid a love-interest plot. From what I remember, Hellboy and Liz weren't really a couple in the comics.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was kinda hoping they'd avoid a love-interest plot. From what I remember, Hellboy and Liz weren't really a couple in the comics.

Yeah, but they were a really sweet one in the movies

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I liked the first movie a lot more than the comics from the same period of the story.

I couldn't tell you why right now don't remember either too well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

Honestly I liked the first movie a lot more than the comics from the same period of the story.

I couldn't tell you why right now don't remember either too well

It's a very heartfelt, affectionate, earnest movie.

• Locked thread